Author Topic: See this is why boxings finished and MMAs where its at  (Read 3767 times)

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
See this is why boxings finished and MMAs where its at
« on: February 03, 2014, 08:18:51 AM »
Compare the crappy heavyweight boxing fight of the weekend V Overeem V Mir. This Anthony Joshua pretty boy queer would last 30 seconds maximum against either the Reem or Mir.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Re: See this is why boxings finished and MMAs where its at
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 08:24:00 AM »
a good boxing match > any UFC fight

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 08:27:30 AM »
No way, I used to think like then I woke up. Boxings done its over time to move into the present and future MMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!babay1

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 08:28:44 AM »
Lesnar. Oh brother.  ::)

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 08:30:36 AM »
Come on Darren, they can happily exist as 2 different sports.

I enjoy a good old 'watch somebody's eye fall out the socket after 25 hammer fists' every now and then.

But as a lifelong boxing fan, I also enjoy a good clash at any weight class.

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 08:43:27 AM »
Compare the crappy heavyweight boxing fight of the weekend V Overeem V Mir. This Anthony Joshua pretty boy queer would last 30 seconds maximum against either the Reem or Mir.

so you pick a crappy boxing match to prove your point?

MMA has hit a crescendo, it has plateaued and is now on the way down. 

You are more likely to still have groups of people having a boxing fight night than an MMA fight night

Before you would see 5-10 "tap out" apparel per day in the gym or walking around.  Now, and thank god, you can go a couple of days and not see any.

The TV ratings of MMA is on par with Squash
I

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 08:45:20 AM »
NO!!! I picked the HW boxing match of the weekend and the MMA match of the weekend. Da cage fight was much more exciting.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 08:45:44 AM »
Boxing`s more popular than ever.

Great fights last year,some of the best ever in the lighter divisions that I`ve seen in a long fucking time.

Sam

• Getbig IV
  • I just shoot the bastards.....Thats my policy!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 08:47:16 AM »
NO!!! I picked the HW boxing match of the weekend and the MMA match of the weekend. Da cage fight was much more exciting.

Joshua is a decent prospect. As for the HW clash of the weekend looks like you picked a week when not much was going on...

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 08:54:53 AM »
When MMA fans are asked to mention the best MMA fight they have ever seen. Most of them will point to one where the fighters had a stand up war.  That is all that needs to be said.

Two equally matched guys in a boxing match will make for a better sporting event than two "men" rubbing each other on the floor. Then again most of the Getbig denizen would prefer the latter.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 08:59:28 AM »
You don't appreciate the skill when they "roll around on the floor" or what they re doing. Ground game is very technical and exciting.

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 09:02:30 AM »
boxing killed itself with greed

Ill never buy a pay per view boxing fight...I don't feel robbed after I buy a UFC like most boxing events make me feel

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 09:11:57 AM »
You don't appreciate the skill when they "roll around on the floor" or what they re doing. Ground game is very technical and exciting.

I know there is skill involved but IT IS STILL BORING.

If it wasn't boring, then why does the ref break the "action" and stands them up again?

Don't say it's because there is nothing happening because I would think that they would let the fighters proceed to roll on the floor until someone is submitted. That is what would happen if they "appreciated" the skill.

The reason why they make them stand up is because most of the audience, even when they understand the skill involved, gets bored. There is nothing more attention grabbing then someone getting knocked out on their feet. NOTHING.

The only thing that kills boxing is fighers holding too much, but that occurs more in the heavier weight divisions. If boxing were to take that away and set up more even matches, as they started to in the past year, MMA would be left behind by boxing. Guaranteed.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 09:14:01 AM »
boxing killed itself with greed

Ill never buy a pay per view boxing fight...I don't feel robbed after I buy a UFC like most boxing events make me feel

MMA is not immune to greed. Give it time.

THEBOSS

• Getbig IV
  • Another day of being huge
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 09:16:25 AM »
When MMA fans are asked to mention the best MMA fight they have ever seen. Most of them will point to one where the fighters had a stand up war.  That is all that needs to be said.

Two equally matched guys in a boxing match will make for a better sporting event than two "men" rubbing each other on the floor. Then again most of the Getbig denizen would prefer the latter.
8)  Thank you !

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 09:20:57 AM »
There two different sports with two different sets of rules. Both have their moments of greatness or crappy performances (personal note; I like boxing better than MM). And each has a bit of an advantage over the other, giving the benefit of good fighters in each sport.

If wanting to get serious about fighting and use the black flag rules (actually no rules), than bare knuckles & no supports of any kind.  Elbows/forearms, eye gouging, groin strikes, biting, foot stomping, finger breaking, nut grabbing/twisting, throat crushing , etc, etc, etc.....If someone wants to get it on, than get it on with no exceptions. The do in bars, alleys and in the street. Not to mention prisons.

Remembering back in my jr high school days when the Gracie family was dominating....slower than watching grass grow. Karate, and what passes for Kung Fu, etc, totally ineffective in real fighting. Great for the glory of a match in their own dojo...other than that useless. Good physical exercise though.
F

sancho ed

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 09:49:56 AM »
being more of an mma fan, I still cant stand fools making comparisons between the two sports. "hmmmm this is why an orange taste so much better then an apple....." blah blah blah. pointless idiotic arguement

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 10:07:34 AM »
joshua is one impressive specimen, ripped to shreds, 17.3 st and still gaining weight, 6'5 ... i think he's a legit threat come a few years

outside the mma bubble, no body know the fighters, man on the street knows the big boxing names still, and its still back page worthy headlines

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 03:26:03 PM »
MMA is not immune to greed. Give it time.
I agree-----but it hasn't gotten there yet and boxing has been dwelling in that shit for decades

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 03:28:57 PM »
Come on Darren, they can happily exist as 2 different sports.

I enjoy a good old 'watch somebody's eye fall out the socket after 25 hammer fists' every now and then.

But as a lifelong boxing fan, I also enjoy a good clash at any weight class.

Yeah, why does it have to be one or other? Just enjoy both.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 03:41:10 PM »
too many rules have killed MMA for me.

no elbows

putting your hand on the ground to avoid knees to the head

ect...

and the drug testing.

fuck all that. they're gonna turn mma into a hybrid of point-karate and wrestling eventually... with skinny sub 185lb guys and fat 200lb+ guys.

days of juiced up guys in Pride.. the guys who you'd WANT to see are gone... along with soccer kicks to the head and 10min rounds.. and no time-limit bouts.

go back to the non-drug tested and "no eye gouging, kicks to the groin, and no biting" rules.

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 03:48:27 PM »

no elbows

ect...

and the drug testing.

fuck all that. they're gonna turn mma into a hybrid of point-karate and wrestling eventually... with skinny sub 185lb guys and fat 200lb+ guys.

days of juiced up guys in Pride.. the guys who you'd WANT to see are gone... along with soccer kicks to the head and 10min rounds.. and no time-limit bouts.

go back to the non-drug tested and "no eye gouging, kicks to the groin, and no biting" rules.

Pride was the BEST!!!!

real fighting-----my problem w the rules is that these guys put themselves on positions which would get u killed in a real fight i.e giving someone your back etc

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 03:56:42 PM »

no elbows

ect...

and the drug testing.

;D

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 03:59:03 PM »

no elbows

ect...

and the drug testing.

You can use elbows. You just can't do it at a straight up and down angle. That's lame and it came about because those that have no idea of Martial Arts believe it's an especially deadly blow because of those brick breaking demonstrations that Karate guys use.

The hands on the ground is even more lame and nobody likes that rule and I think it will eventually be abolish.

But as far as combat sports go, it still has the least amount of rules than any fighting sport. Certainly much more than boxing and kick boxing.

titusisback

• Getbig V
  • Team Ban Mom Lostabet
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2014, 04:22:36 PM »
There is nothing more attention grabbing then someone getting knocked out on their feet. NOTHING.