Author Topic: Steroid Use Much Higher Among Gay and Bi Teen Boys  (Read 5570 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Steroid Use Much Higher Among Gay and Bi Teen Boys
« on: February 03, 2014, 08:53:15 AM »
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/02/03/steroid-use-much-higher-among-gay-and-bi-teen-boys

CHICAGO — Gay and bisexual teen boys use illicit steroids at a rate almost six times higher than do straight kids, a “dramatic disparity” that points up a need to reach out to this group, researchers say.

Reasons for the differences are unclear. The study authors said it’s possible gay and bi boys feel more pressure to achieve a bulked-up “ideal” male physique, or that they think muscle-building steroids will help them fend off bullies.

Overall, 21 percent of gay or bisexual boys said they had ever used steroids, versus 4 percent of straight boys. The difference was similar among those who reported moderate use — taking steroid pills or injections up to 40 times: 8 percent of gay or bi teens reported that amount, versus less than 2 percent of straight boys. The heaviest use — 40 or more times — was reported by 4 percent of gays or bi boys, compared with less than 1 percent of straight teens.

The study is billed as the first to examine the problem; previous research has found similar disparities for other substance abuse.

“It’s a bit sad that we saw such a large health disparity,” especially among the most frequent steroid users, said co-author Aaron Blashill, a psychologist and scientist with the Fenway Institute, the research arm of a Boston health center that treats gays and lesbians.

“Given the dramatic disparity … it would seem that this is a population in which greater attention is needed,” the authors said.

Their research was released Monday in the journal Pediatrics.

The nationally representative study is an analysis of government surveys from 2005 and 2007. It involved 17,250 teen boys aged 16 on average; almost 4 percent — 635 boys — were gay or bisexual. Blashill said it’s likely more recent data would show the disparities persist.

Dr. Rob Garofalo, adolescent medicine chief at Lurie Children’s Hospital in Chicago, said the differences aren’t surprising, since it is known that gay youth often have “body image issues.” But he said, “It is still shocking. These are dramatically high rates.”

The Food and Drug Administration issued a consumer update in November warning that teens and steroids are “a dangerous combo,” citing government data showing that about 5 percent of high school boys and 2 percent of high school girls use steroids — more than a half-million kids.

Steroids include synthetic versions of the male hormone testosterone. Users take them to promote muscle growth, strength and endurance. Side effects can include heart and liver problems, high blood pressure, acne and aggressive behavior. With their still-maturing bodies, teens face a heightened risk for problems that may be permanent, the FDA update.

Steroids are legally available only by prescription. There are few FDA-approved uses, including replacement of hormones in men who have unusually low levels.

Potential signs of abuse include mood swings, speedy muscle growth and even breast development in boys.

Garofalo said some of his gay and bi patients have admitted using steroids. Those patients sometimes have acne, high blood pressure, anxiety, or aggression related to steroid use, but those symptoms usually go away when the drug use stops, he said.

Kids are often less open about using steroids than about drinking or smoking marijuana, but the study helps raise awareness and the results suggest it’s a topic physicians should be raising with their patients, especially gay and bi kids, Garofalo said

________________________ ________________________ _

Why not just eat and lift heavy?    ;)

BigCyp

• Getbig V
Re: Steroid Use Much Higher Among Gay and Bi Teen Boys
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 09:23:05 AM »
At least we have natural studmuffins like Christopher on getbig, who have never touched a penis or steriod in their lives.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 09:24:26 AM »
Gaylords Of Peace Gear

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 09:25:12 AM »
OP should rename himself to Cum Cruncher.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 09:26:50 AM »
They are probably just answering honestly where the straight kids lie.

These are teenage kids admitting to being gay.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 09:28:30 AM »
They are probably just answering honestly where the straight kids lie.

These are teenage kids admitting to being gay.

Hahahaa who the hell admits to being gay when they're in high school. As least I waited until my wedding night

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 02:31:08 PM »
OP should rename himself to Cum Cruncher.

I wonder what he was googling when an article called "steroid use higher among gay and bi teen boys" showed up :-\

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 02:38:48 PM »
I wonder what he was googling when an article called "steroid use higher among gay and bi teen boys" showed up :-\

It's on the drudgereport among other places.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 02:40:41 PM »

www.drudgereport.com

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 02:42:54 PM »
I know I'm going to take a ball-kicking admitting this on Getbig but I went to a gay music festival last year. I can explain 'why' but this being Getbig, it's pointless. I'll get slammed regardless.

Point of the story is, 90% of the fags there were fucking jacked. And I mean, JACKED. The amount of muscle bears walking could fill a magazine for a whole year. I'd say more than two thirds of them were gassing big time.

nasum

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 02:49:39 PM »
I know I'm going to take a ball-kicking admitting this on Getbig but I went to a gay music festival last year. I can explain 'why' but this being Getbig, it's pointless. I'll get slammed regardless.

Point of the story is, 90% of the fags there were fucking jacked. And I mean, JACKED. The amount of muscle bears walking could fill a magazine for a whole year. I'd say more than two thirds of them were gassing big time.

I won't ask what cardiovascular activity you were performing with them to elicit this info.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 02:51:38 PM »
I won't ask what cardiovascular activity you were performing with them to elicit this info.

Yea you shouldn't.

US MUSL

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 02:57:32 PM »
Hmmm, I wonder if groink and wes started roids in their teens?   ;D

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 03:25:04 PM »
www.drudgereport.com

"POLICE: Couple die of carbon monoxide poisoning while having sex in car..."

That's a great way to die..

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 05:16:41 PM »
I remember when MTV did that 'tru life, I'm on steroids' bout 5 yrs ago

Had on dude that hAd old man injecting his ass with test/Winn mix as he lay naked across the bed
Other dude was another ghey but he was only one that would inject himself - kept hanging with his boi talking about his 'package' coming in the mail

Honestly thou, gheys are the only ones who 'invest' in the sport of bodybuilding to great degree

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 05:41:34 PM »
Gayer than sharing a Facebook account with your wife

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 05:46:05 PM »

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 06:13:18 PM »
Hmmm, I wonder if groink and wes started roids in their teens?   ;D
Don`t be thilly .  ;D

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 06:53:37 PM »

Please, explain why you went to a gay music festival.  Also why you couldn't take your eyes off the jacked homos walking around

..... actually don't bother explaining.  It's pretty obvious

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 07:06:49 PM »
Blatant attempt by the OP to get credit for being gay and NOT using steroids, if ya ask me.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 01:39:18 AM »
I went to a gay music festival last year. The amount of muscle bears walking could fill a magazine for a whole year.

I'm happy for you bro

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 01:43:27 AM »
Please, explain why you went to a gay music festival.  Also why you couldn't take your eyes off the jacked homos walking around

..... actually don't bother explaining.  It's pretty obvious

Fo sure!

macos1965

• Getbig I
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 06:36:46 AM »
Did I just prick your ass hole?

KY jelly!!!!

Jizzacked

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 08:01:19 AM »

5:40 is great when the old queen swabs the sterile needle with a cotton swab like a buffoon  ;D