Author Topic: The Coke Commercial  (Read 9156 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: The Coke Commercial
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2014, 10:02:01 AM »
Best examples of failed lib policies are found in the big cities.
chicago has been under full democrat rule for some time- always near bankruptcy, extremely strict gun control yet a huge crime/murder rate, several of their most recent Mayors, politicians, and Ill governors have been convicted and jailed for corruption. Think about that...several of their highest- level politicians in modern times have been tried for corruption.

Detroit has been under total democrat rule for generations, during which time it has gone from being a symbol of american industrial might to a symbol of failure and destitution. Has extremely strict gun control yet has a notoriously high crime and murder rate. Biggest city to ever declare bankruptcy. Something like a million people have left, leaving behind entire sections of the city which resemble burned out ghost towns. It was ENTIRELY democrat policies that got them here.

There are plenty of other examples-new orleans, Washington dc, Hartford, Memphis...

The libs remain curiously quiet as they have absolutely no answer for this.

Funny you mention Memphis, Tennessee.  Anytime I do read something negative about TN, such as high crime and poverty, once you look into the details, you find that it's Memphis dragging the whole state down.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2014, 10:11:43 AM »
Funny you mention Memphis, Tennessee.  Anytime I do read something negative about TN, such as high crime and poverty, once you look into the details, you find that it's Memphis dragging the whole state down.

Memphis has a high concentration of a 'certain demographic' that the rest of the state does not. I do not think this is a coincidence :D

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2014, 10:19:56 AM »
Memphis has a high concentration of a 'certain demographic' that the rest of the state does not. I do not think this is a coincidence :D

Racist post reported.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2014, 11:49:03 AM »
my great grand parents came here from Mexico.  and LEGALLY became US citizens.  my grandfather fought in WW2 and paid taxes his whole life.  he never understood Mexicans national pride in Mexico.

He probably never understood quantum mechanics either...

"If you loved Mexico so much, you would have stayed in Mexico.  The problem is that Mexico is not a good place to live.  That's why we all came here.  So what are you so proud of?  You love Mexico, but you just refuse to live there?  National pride begins with the desire to live in the country you're so proud of.  If you don't want to live there, you don't love the country."

A Mexican having national pride and loving Mexico doesn't mean they can't consider the United States to be a country that affords more opportunities or to be proud of and love it as well. These positions are not mutually exclusive, your grandfather's implication that they are notwithstanding.

No one could ever successfully argue against his opinion because there simply was no valid argument against it.

Or, perhaps, the average IQ in your household was "potato" and, as a result, you lacked the ability to argue rationally?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2014, 12:45:28 PM »
Then make Mexico better....stay out of my country. Go to Canada...we have enough mexicans
L

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2014, 01:23:04 PM »

A Mexican having national pride and loving Mexico doesn't mean they can't consider the United States to be a country that affords more opportunities or to be proud of and love it as well. These positions are not mutually exclusive, your grandfather's implication that they are notwithstanding.

Or, perhaps, the average IQ in your household was "potato" and, as a result, you lacked the ability to argue rationally?

NO.  they are mutually excusive.  you are confusing "national" pride with "cultural" pride.  if your country cannot provide you with an opportunity to make a living and raise a family, that nation has failed you and you have no reason to take any pride in said nation. 

that does not mean that you can't hold dear the traditions and morals that your "community" inside that nation has provided you. 

so who has an IQ of a potato again?  fuck you. 

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2014, 01:26:03 PM »

What's to be proud of?   Mexico is a shit hole.  It's a form of delusional thinking to have pride in that filthy cesspool of a country.

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2014, 01:29:51 PM »
What's to be proud of?   Mexico is a shit hole.  It's a form of delusional thinking to have pride in that filthy cesspool of a country.

avxo's been conditioned by the liberal media to love and adore anything "not America".  

i'm half Mexican.  I have pride in the Mexican culture that my grandparents brought here.  I have no pride in the nation of mexico because as you said, it s a fucking disaster and we don't take them to task for it enough.  we blame America, because of people like Avxo whose knee jerk reaction is to defend any country other than America whether they deserve it or not.

my grandfather worked in a factory during the day and went to school at night.  became a pharmacist.  America gave him that opportunity.  he had pride in America as a nation and pride in his culture that came from Mexico.  But he knew that only the truly ignorant came to America to make a living and raise their families and then went out in the streets during the Mexican parades and waved around Mexican flags.  It's akin to saying that a certain restaurant is your favorite but you would never eat there. 

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2014, 05:26:41 PM »
NO.  they are mutually excusive.

See, that's not how this works. You can't just wave your hand around like some kind of Jedi and convince people that these aren't the droids they're looking for.

you are confusing "national" pride with "cultural" pride.

Am I? I don't think so.

if your country cannot provide you with an opportunity to make a living and raise a family, that nation has failed you and you have no reason to take any pride in said nation.

Nonsense. You can be proud of your country even if you have emigrated elsewhere. Because you can emigrate for many reasons. Perhaps you do so because your boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife is from that other country; perhaps you do so because your country can't provide you the opportunities that another country can afford you in your chosen field - the job market for nuclear engineers or high-energy particle physicists; perhaps you do so because you disagree with the current political regime. And I could keep going.

You see, the problem with your position is that you assume that people emigrate from Mexico for one reason and one reason only: because they can't make a living or raise a family. While that may be true for some people, it's not true for all people; you are painting using a ridiculously broad brush and the counterexample to your silly statements is Carlos Slim

No doubt, some (large) parts of Mexico are complete clusterfucks. But, to different degrees, that's true of any country, including the United States.  

that does not mean that you can't hold dear the traditions and morals that your "community" inside that nation has provided you. 

Now who is confusing "national" and "cultural" pride? This was never an issue, and you are bringing it up only to divert attention from your previous point. It's the equivalent of yelling: "LOOK OVER THERE! A BLUE CAR!" Don't be surprised when this strategy doesn't work.

so who has an IQ of a potato again?  fuck you.

The people who couldn't "argue" with and debunk the position you claim that your grandfather adopted.

avxo's been conditioned by the liberal media to love and adore anything "not America".

It's silly to assume you know me, much less understand me well enough to know that I've been conditioned by anyone or that I love and adore anything "not America." But that's a typical strategy of you and your ilk, isn't it? Anytime someone disagrees with a position you hold, that person automatically doesn't love America.

i'm half Mexican.

And yet, somehow, all-American. Hot dogs. Beer. Football. YEAH!

I have no pride in the nation of mexico because as you said, it s a fucking disaster and we don't take them to task for it enough.

Again, you are painting an entire nation with your brush. And you accuse me of "knee jerk reactions"?

we blame America, because of people like Avxo whose knee jerk reaction is to defend any country other than America whether they deserve it or not.

Please feel free to point out any instance where I have uncritically and/or undeservedly blamed America. As a matter of fact, point out any instance where I have blamed America.

You won't, because you can't. You see, unlike you I don't blame entire countries.

my grandfather worked in a factory during the day and went to school at night.  became a pharmacist.  America gave him that opportunity.

Good for him - he came here seeking a better life and he, obviously, achieved it by working hard. But what's the point of telling us this? Nobody here argues that America isn't the place where hard work and effort don't pay off.

he had pride in America as a nation and pride in his culture that came from Mexico.

Good for him. But this isn't about cultural vs. national pride.

Again, being proud of America doesn't mean that one can't also be proud of the nation where one came from and to suggest otherwise is silly. A very good friend of mine - an academic who recently received the highest honor in his field - is a permanent resident on a path to citizenship. He emigrated here because of his wife - an American - who wanted to be close to her parents and family. He's extremely proud of the country he came from, even as he is proud of America.

You suggest, again, that this person can't be proud of both countries. I am asking you point blank: why?

But he knew that only the truly ignorant came to America to make a living and raise their families and then went out in the streets during the Mexican parades and waved around Mexican flags.  It's akin to saying that a certain restaurant is your favorite but you would never eat there.

Your analogy is, let's be generous and say, flawed. That aside, you keep repeating the same mantra. Just answer one simple question: What makes being proud of country X mutually exclusive with being proud of the United States?

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2014, 05:28:41 PM »
What's to be proud of?   Mexico is a shit hole.  It's a form of delusional thinking to have pride in that filthy cesspool of a country.

You are making the same mistake as bears: painting an entire country and its people with one broad brush. 

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2014, 05:30:53 PM »
You are making the same mistake as bears: painting an entire country and its people with one broad brush. 

Nope, it's an impoverished third world shit hole.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2014, 05:54:21 PM »
Nope, it's an impoverished third world shit hole.

Let's assume, arguendo, that it is. What problem do you have with people being proud of their impoverished third-world shithole? Do you believe that they're taking something away from you?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2014, 06:14:05 PM »
Let's assume, arguendo, that it is. What problem do you have with people being proud of their impoverished third-world shithole? Do you believe that they're taking something away from you?

I dunno... Cancun and Puerto Vallarta are pretty nice.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2014, 08:01:17 PM »
I dunno... Cancun and Puerto Vallarta are pretty nice.

Be careful! Can't you see the "wet paint" sign over there?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2014, 08:26:40 PM »
Havent read the entire conversation but will say this, as a person of mixed race I am proud of my japanese heritage but I am first and formost an American and my allegiance and loyalty is 100% with America.

I dont have an issue with a company advertising in a different language. I do have an issue with people coming to this country and expecting the government to accomidate their inability to communicate in the common tongue though.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2014, 08:36:27 PM »
This has long been a common theme. The top states for business, with the strongest economies are usually mostly all red states, and the worst run states, and cities, that are in financial disaster are almost exclusively democrat-run: Illinois, california, Detroit, Chicago, los Angeles, etc.

So, I guess top country for business is where?  China?

Apparently being "best run" has little (or maybe even an inverse) relationship to livability.

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2014, 08:38:13 PM »

It makes no sense.  If I lived in a dump I wouldn't be proud of it.  They bring all the qualities that make their country a shit hole over here and replicate their shit hole in the United States.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2014, 08:44:35 PM »
Best examples of failed lib policies are found in the big cities.
chicago has been under full democrat rule for some time- always near bankruptcy, extremely strict gun control yet a huge crime/murder rate, several of their most recent Mayors, politicians, and Ill governors have been convicted and jailed for corruption. Think about that...several of their highest- level politicians in modern times have been tried for corruption.

Detroit has been under total democrat rule for generations, during which time it has gone from being a symbol of american industrial might to a symbol of failure and destitution. Has extremely strict gun control yet has a notoriously high crime and murder rate. Biggest city to ever declare bankruptcy. Something like a million people have left, leaving behind entire sections of the city which resemble burned out ghost towns. It was ENTIRELY democrat policies that got them here.

There are plenty of other examples-new orleans, Washington dc, Hartford, Memphis...

The libs remain curiously quiet as they have absolutely no answer for this.

Seems to me that gun control anywhere is pretty worthless unless you're checking all who enter the "gun controlled" area for guns.  

Also, aren't you simply pointing out correlations?  Proving causation would be difficult, I'd think, because there are so many factors in play.  Too many for me to trust a lay-person's reasoning without some supporting evidence from people who study such stuff for a living.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2014, 08:52:29 PM »
It makes no sense.  If I lived in a dump I wouldn't be proud of it.  They bring all the qualities that make their country a shit hole over here and replicate their shit hole in the United States.

What if your dump of a country has awesome food that's cheap and almost universally liked?  Are you allowed to be proud of that? 

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2014, 08:53:19 PM »
What if your dump of a country has awesome food that's cheap and almost universally liked?  Are you allowed to be proud of that? 

Obviously you've never had authentic Mexican food. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2014, 09:07:37 PM »
Obviously you've never had authentic Mexican food. 

'da fuck?  I'm from CA, negress.  (Sheee-it, I live in Raleigh, NC right now and regularly buy bomb-ass carne asada street tacos (meat, cilantro, and onions only) from a Taco truck for $1.50 each.

Authentic Mexican food is everywhere.  (I do like Tex-Mex, too, though.)

In your favor I will say that there's a pretty good chance that the Mexican food is better in the USA since the basic food ingredients are probably of a higher quality (meat especially).  (At least that's the case with Thai food in the USA, according to my wife and many of her Thai friends here.)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2014, 09:11:16 PM »
'da fuck?  I'm from CA, negress.  (Sheee-it, I live in Raleigh, NC right now and regularly buy bomb-ass carne asada street tacos (meat, cilantro, and onions only) from a Taco truck for $1.50 each.

In your favor I will say that there's a pretty good chance that the Mexican food is better in the USA since the basic food ingredients are probably of a higher quality (meat especially).  (At least that's the case with Thai food in the USA, according to my wife and many of her Thai friends here.)

There's a Banditos in Durham that has an amazing Chicken Mole... 2nd best I've ever had (After this place down in Hermosa Beach)

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2014, 09:15:03 PM »

That's not Mexican food, dimwit.    That's Americanized Mexican.  I bet you also think the Chinese food sold in the United States is authentic too.  Damn you're dumb.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2014, 09:18:14 PM »
That's not Mexican food, dimwit.    That's Americanized Mexican.  I bet you also think the Chinese food sold in the United States is authentic too.  Damn you're dumb.

California mexican is fucking mexican.

The mexicans cross the border and open restaurants and cook the food.

They only go to where real mexican is made.

You really don't know anything about So-Cal do you?

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2014, 09:19:27 PM »
California mexican is fucking mexican.

The mexicans cross the border and open restaurants and cook the food.

They only go to where real mexican is made.

You really don't know anything about So-Cal do you?

No it's not.  I've been to Mexico and I've been to so-cal several times. Mexicans don't eat that kind of food.