Author Topic: Rand Paul: Texas Could Go Blue If GOP Doesn't Change  (Read 7417 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Rand Paul: Texas Could Go Blue If GOP Doesn't Change
« on: February 10, 2014, 10:35:25 AM »
Rand Paul: Texas Could Go Blue If GOP Doesn't Change

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) on Saturday warned Republican lawmakers that they need to adapt to changing public opinion.

"What I do believe is Texas is going to be a Democrat state within 10 years if we don't change," he said at a Harris County, Tex. GOP dinner, according to Politico. "That means we evolve, it doesn't mean we give up on what we believe in, but it means we have to be a welcoming party."

Paul spoke about immigration reform and explained his approach to policy for the "touchy" issue.

"We won't all agree on it," he said. "But I'll tell you, what I will say and what I'll continue to say, and it's not an exact policy prescription … but if you want to work and you want a job and you want to be part of America, we'll find a place for you."

-snip-

Full article here: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/rand-paul-immigration-gop-change

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Rand Paul: Texas Could Go Blue If GOP Doesn't Change
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 11:30:51 AM »
He's right.  TX Hispanic population growth is very high.  And more hispanics vote dem in every election.  Repub share keeps getting smaller.  It's difficult to look at these 2 factors and boldly claim TX will be repub forever.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 11:59:45 AM »
It won't forever but there are a lot of Hispanic repubs running here as well.
L

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 06:08:17 PM »
Every hispanic I know is conservative, you have to realize that most hispanics especially first and second generation are catholics.

You know part of that group libtards like to make fun of?

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 12:22:34 AM »
Every hispanic I know is conservative, you have to realize that most hispanics especially first and second generation are catholics.

You know part of that group libtards like to make fun of?

Yeah, many Hispanics have a host of values that would seem to make them natural Republican voters...which is why Republicans are stepping on their dicks by backing various "anti-brown" policies which only serve to alienate Hispanics and cause them to vote Dem.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 03:50:57 AM »
Yeah, many Hispanics have a host of values that would seem to make them natural Republican voters...which is why Republicans are stepping on their dicks by backing various "anti-brown" policies which only serve to alienate Hispanics and cause them to vote Dem.
What anti brown policies are you talking about?

Or is this another you don't want abortions so your anti women bull shit?

Being against illegal immigration doesn't make you anti brown moron...

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 05:22:08 AM »
Maybe the immigration laws should be enforced by securing the borders to keep out the invaders, not recognizing the children of these criminals as "dreamers" or "citizens", and deport as many as you can.

That will preserve Texas in the GOP column until "global warming" kills the human race.

Legalize in about 20 years some of the invaders, kick out the rest and secure the border. Solution to the ILLEGAL immigration problem that should never had existed if the law would have been enforced by the corrupt federal government.

At least Rand believes in securing the BORDER FIRST. Something not posted by the op. From the article:

“Doesn’t mean I don’t believe in securing the border first, doesn’t mean I don’t believe it’s important we have a secure country,” he said. “But it does mean we have to have a different attitude.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/02/rand-paul-texas-could-turn-blue-103292.html#ixzz2t1Fz7YhK

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 02:59:14 PM »
What anti brown policies are you talking about?

Or is this another you don't want abortions so your anti women bull shit?

Being against illegal immigration doesn't make you anti brown moron...

Any policy (and the real life execution thereof) that disproportionately penalizes racial minorities.  The Arizona ID law, NY's "Stop and frisk" and the new Voter ID laws in a few states come to mind. 

You need only listen to the rhetoric used by some prominent republicans when speaking about issues like immigration to get the idea that the GOP is no place for racial minorities.

And, c'mon, if there really was no issue, then what the hell is Rand Paul talking about?  Change from what?

BTW, although Texas hispanics vote republican more than hispanics nationally, that number is still only 27%, so denying that many in the GOP have racial issues (or dodging the question of how serious and prevalent racism is in the GOP vs on the Democrat side) ain't gonna buy you much credibility with the 73% who aren't voting for the GOP.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 03:18:25 PM »

You need only listen to the rhetoric used by some prominent republicans when speaking about issues like immigration to get the idea that the GOP is no place for racial minorities.

What specific rhetoric and which prominent Republicans?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 03:34:19 PM »
Any policy (and the real life execution thereof) that disproportionately penalizes racial minorities.  The Arizona ID law, NY's "Stop and frisk" and the new Voter ID laws in a few states come to mind. 

And, c'mon, if there really was no issue, then what the hell is Rand Paul talking about?  Change from what?

BTW, although Texas hispanics vote republican more than hispanics nationally, that number is still only 27%, so denying that many in the GOP have racial issues (or dodging the question of how serious and prevalent racism is in the GOP vs on the Democrat side) ain't gonna buy you much credibility with the 73% who aren't voting for the GOP.
Lmfao so I guess drug laws are racist too bc they disproportionately effect blacks?

What a crock of shit bro, what's worse is you fucking believe the idiocy you spout off

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 03:41:34 PM »
Any policy (and the real life execution thereof) that disproportionately penalizes racial minorities.  The Arizona ID law, NY's "Stop and frisk" and the new Voter ID laws
So basically it's exactly what I said, if you're against ILLEGAL immigration in the mind of a dumb ass liberal you're anti brown...correct?

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 04:00:56 PM »
What specific rhetoric and which prominent Republicans?

The most prominent republican lawmaker is probably Congressman Steve King (R - Iowa) who seems to  specialize in that shit...and it's not just me saying that: http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/the-gop-s-steve-king-problem-20130619

Lots of Steve King remarks to choose from but I liked this one:  When speaking about Latino immigrants, he said:  If you bring people from a violent civilization into a less-violent civilization, you’re going to have more violence right? It’s like pouring hot water into cold water, does it raise the temperature or not?

Steve is hardly unique on the Republican side, though.  Numerous other, less popular GOP politicians have caught heat for racially offensive remarks including (but certainly not limited to) Don Young (R - Alaska), Former Senator George Allen (R - Va), East Haven, Ct. Mayor Joseph Maturo, Jr. (R), State Sen. Jake Knotts (R-SC), NC GOP Precinct Chair Don Yelton, and the list would on (but my internet is super-slow right now because I'm uploading to huge log files for work).

Also, if "prominent republican" isn't limited to gov't officials, then the top dog when it comes to racially offensive rhetoric  would have to be Rush Limbaugh, wouldn't it?

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 04:04:23 PM »
Lmfao so I guess drug laws are racist too bc they disproportionately effect blacks?

The drug laws aren't but the enforcement of them clearly is. 

I don't toss around insults as quickly as you do but if you don't agree then you are either a complete freakin' idiot or just a lyin' sack of shit.

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 04:07:33 PM »
The drug laws aren't but the enforcement of them clearly is. 

I don't toss around insults as quickly as you do but if you don't agree then you are either a complete freakin' idiot or just a lyin' sack of shit.

Black people committ crimes because they are stupid and can't control themselves.   There is no proof race is a factor in drug policing.  None what so ever.  You can't infer that because blacks are incarcerated at a higher race the justice system is unfairly dispensing justice.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 04:13:29 PM »
So basically it's exactly what I said, if you're against ILLEGAL immigration in the mind of a dumb ass liberal you're anti brown...correct?

Shit-for-brains, if you hassle every brown person (legal or not) in an effort to find out who's a legal immigrant, that's bullshit. 

Look, if you have some good intelligence that a Latino-looking person is going set off a nuke, that's a different story; By all means, hassle all the Latinos so you can avert a serious loss of life. 

But hassling all people who look hispanic to some idiot cops to find out about their immigration status?  Not appropriate.  And good luck finding hispanic citizens who think that it would be appropriate.  For the most part, they know better.

For fuck's sake, you as a person with Japanese ancestry should understand this shit a little.  If possible, why don't you ask some of your aging Japanese family members how fair the Japanese internment seemed during WW2?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 04:13:50 PM »

The most prominent republican lawmaker is probably Congressman Steve King (R - Iowa) who seems to  specialize in that shit...and it's not just me saying that: http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/the-gop-s-steve-king-problem-20130619

Lots of Steve King remarks to choose from but I liked this one:  When speaking about Latino immigrants, he said:  If you bring people from a violent civilization into a less-violent civilization, you’re going to have more violence right? It’s like pouring hot water into cold water, does it raise the temperature or not?

Steve is hardly unique on the Republican side, though.  Numerous other, less popular GOP politicians have caught heat for racially offensive remarks including (but certainly not limited to) Don Young (R - Alaska), Former Senator George Allen (R - Va), East Haven, Ct. Mayor Joseph Maturo, Jr. (R), State Sen. Jake Knotts (R-SC), NC GOP Precinct Chair Don Yelton, and the list would on (but my internet is super-slow right now because I'm uploading to huge log files for work).

Also, if "prominent republican" isn't limited to gov't officials, then the top dog when it comes to racially offensive rhetoric  would have to be Rush Limbaugh, wouldn't it?

What makes Steve King a prominent Republican?  And Boehner, who is a "prominent" Republican, has rejected King's comments:  “What he said does not reflect the values of the American people or the Republican Party,” said House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) after one of King’s recent statements.  I don't see him being any more "prominent" than someone like Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas is a "prominent" Democrat.  

And who the heck is Joseph Maturo?  Mayor of a town 29,257 strong??  A NC precinct chair?  

What did these people that you listed say?  

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 04:15:19 PM »
Black people committ crimes because they are stupid and can't control themselves.   There is no proof race is a factor in drug policing.  None what so ever.  You can't infer that because blacks are incarcerated at a higher race the justice system is unfairly dispensing justice.

Back up your claims with some links.  Because I can do that with my claims with ease.

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 04:18:09 PM »
Back up your claims with some links.  Because I can do that with my claims with ease.

Back up your claims, dimwit.  You're the one who made the claim. Provide definitive proof that racism exists.  Not some bullshit opinion or interpretation of statistics but documented facts. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 04:22:07 PM »
What makes Steve King a prominent Republican?  And Boehner, who is a "prominent" Republican, has rejected King's comments:  “What he said does not reflect the values of the American people or the Republican Party,” said House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) after one of King’s recent statements.  I don't see him being any more "prominent" than someone like Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas is a "prominent" Democrat.  

And who the heck is Joseph Maturo?  Mayor of a town 29,257 strong??  A NC precinct chair?  

What did these people that you listed say?  

C'mon, BB.  You're being a little disingenuous, aren't you?  

prominent
   
prom·i·nent
[prom-uh-nuhnt]
1. standing out so as to be seen easily; conspicuous; particularly noticeable: Her eyes are her most prominent feature.
2. standing out beyond the adjacent surface or line; projecting.
3. leading, important, or well-known: a prominent citizen.

If Boehner saw fit to comment on King's BS, wouldn't that alone tend to make you think that King stands out some?

In regard to specific statements by this by-no-means-exhaustive list of repubs who've made racially offensive remarks, you can use google if you're really interested.  

BTW, I'm guessing that you already know of some of the shitty remarks uttered by Rush Limbaugh.  You're not contesting that he's prominent, are ya?

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 04:23:14 PM »
Back up your claims, dimwit.  You're the one who made the claim. Provide definitive proof that racism exists.  Not some bullshit opinion or interpretation of statistics but documented facts. 

If I do back up my claims with links, will you?

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 04:26:28 PM »
If I do back up my claims with links, will you?

My claim is that you are full of shit and your opinion is based on your political bias.  What the fuck are you talking about links when you ASSerted the claim, dimwit.   Prove there is racism involved.  And the fact more are in jail does not prove shit.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 04:27:51 PM »
Shit-for-brains, if you hassle every brown person (legal or not) in an effort to find out who's a legal immigrant, that's bullshit.  

Look, if you have some good intelligence that a Latino-looking person is going set off a nuke, that's a different story; By all means, hassle all the Latinos so you can avert a serious loss of life.  

But hassling all people who look hispanic to some idiot cops to find out about their immigration status?  Not appropriate.  And good luck finding hispanic citizens who think that it would be appropriate.  For the most part, they know better.

For fuck's sake, you as a person with Japanese ancestry should understand this shit a little.  If possible, why don't you ask some of your aging Japanese family members how fair the Japanese internment seemed during WW2?
You see I understand the difference between a law directed at a certain race and one that disproportionately effects one b/c they disproportionately break the law.

You see both as the same but there is a huge difference.

Please list some laws that you believe target minorities...Notice I said target, not effect them.

Illegal immigration laws dont target minorities, drug laws dont target minorities, voter id laws dont target minorities

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 04:29:51 PM »
C'mon, BB.  You're being a little disingenuous, aren't you?  

prominent
   
prom·i·nent
[prom-uh-nuhnt]
1. standing out so as to be seen easily; conspicuous; particularly noticeable: Her eyes are her most prominent feature.
2. standing out beyond the adjacent surface or line; projecting.
3. leading, important, or well-known: a prominent citizen.

If Boehner saw fit to comment on King's BS, wouldn't that alone tend to make you think that King stands out some?

In regard to specific statements by this by-no-means-exhaustive list of repubs who've made racially offensive remarks, you can use google if you're really interested.  

BTW, I'm guessing that you already know of some of the shitty remarks uttered by Rush Limbaugh.  You're not contesting that he's prominent, are ya?

I know what the word prominent means.  It isn't just someone with a big mouth.  You said this:  "You need only listen to the rhetoric used by some prominent republicans when speaking about issues like immigration to get the idea that the GOP is no place for racial minorities."  You were taking about party leaders, not anyone with an audience (which every member of Congress has).   

No, I'm not going to look up links to support claims you claim the "prominent" mayor of Podunk, USA made.  But I'm calling B.S.  Besides, you said this:

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 04:30:54 PM »
You see I understand the difference between a law directed at a certain race and one that disproportionately effects one b/c they disproportionately break the law.

You see both as the same but there is a huge difference.
 laws dont target minorities, drug laws dont target minorities, voter id laws dont target minorities

Dimwit will never see that.  He thinks the fact more are incarcerated is proof in and of itself that racism is involved.  

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 04:36:06 PM »
My claim is that you are full of shit and your opinion is based on your political bias.  What the fuck are you talking about links when you ASSerted the claim, dimwit.   Prove there is racism involved.  And the fact more are in jail does not prove shit.

That might be one of your claims but this is the one I'm talking about, "There is no proof race is a factor in drug policing.  None what so ever." 

You're known to talk out your ass (e.g., authentic Mexican food can't be found in the USA) so I want to know if you have any realistic (non-troll) basis for your claim.  If you tell me that you'll post links supporting your claim about race not being a factor in drug policing if I first post links supporting my position that race often does play a factor in the way drug laws are enforced in the USA, then I'll do it.  (Even though I'm pretty sure you wouldn't fulfill your end of the agreement -- which is no big because it'd be one more thing I could bring up to show that you're just an ignorant troll, so it'd be all good.)