Author Topic: Canada Sucks  (Read 5961 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Canada Sucks
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 11:58:41 PM »
Meh.  The intent of a law like this to prevent guns from being smuggled into the country.  If someone made a mistake, even a dumb mistake, he shouldn't be locked up like a violent felon.  Ridiculous waste of resources to try and make some political point.

Sorta like all those people spending years in USA jails sucking tax-payer money for a joint? Nah... not even close. ::)
w

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2014, 07:13:04 AM »
Canada seems to be a marginally better Europe.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 10:00:27 AM »
Sorta like all those people spending years in USA jails sucking tax-payer money for a joint? Nah... not even close. ::)

No, someone making an innocent or dumb mistake is not even close to someone who knowingly violates the law.   ::) 

Proving why Canada is America's mentally retarded little brother.*

*Credit to El Profeta.   :)

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2014, 06:11:47 AM »
No, someone making an innocent or dumb mistake is not even close to someone who knowingly violates the law.   ::)  

*Credit to El Profeta.   :)

I didn't know being dumb was a legal defense.  You're right though, Canada needs to be more like its brother to the South and bring in legislation like the NDAA and Patriot Act, etc.  Then it will be an astute country.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2014, 06:05:07 PM »
No, someone making an innocent or dumb mistake is not even close to someone who knowingly violates the law.   ::) 

*Credit to El Profeta.   :)

No, this is really just you choosing to believe it was a 'dumb' mistake and as far as I'm concerned you don't get 'dumb' mistakes when dealing with guns.  Dumb mistakes lead to unnecessary deaths.

Want to own a gun, be a fucking adult.  Know where it is, know if it's loaded, know where you are.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2014, 07:49:19 PM »
I didn't know being dumb was a legal defense.  You're right though, Canada needs to be more like its brother to the South and bring in legislation like the NDAA and Patriot Act, etc.  Then it will be an astute country.

Ya, ...we could use such brilliant initiatives like the ones in Tennesse and Kansas.   ::)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014/02/13/kansas_anti_gay_segregation_bill_is_an_abomination.html
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 07:52:15 PM »

No, this is really just you choosing to believe it was a 'dumb' mistake and as far as I'm concerned you don't get 'dumb' mistakes when dealing with guns.  Dumb mistakes lead to unnecessary deaths.

Want to own a gun, be a fucking adult.  Know where it is, know if it's loaded, know where you are.

QFT!!!
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 11:00:36 AM »

Not a legal defense.  Who said that? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 11:08:47 AM »

This guy is a retired Sergeant Major.  You don't typically get to that rank by being an idiot or being dishonest.  So yes, I'm choosing to take him at his word that it was a "dumb" mistake. 

This isn't the kind of mistake that results in people dying.  You don't give people a pass when they make dumb mistakes that put peoples lives in danger, like making a loaded weapon accessible to kids.  But something like this?  It's a pretty stupid waste of time and resources.  Turn the guy around at the border.  Take his gun if they believe it's that important.  Don't lock the guy up for four days.     

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2014, 11:11:02 AM »

No, this is really just you choosing to believe it was a 'dumb' mistake and as far as I'm concerned you don't get 'dumb' mistakes when dealing with guns.  Dumb mistakes lead to unnecessary deaths.

Want to own a gun, be a fucking adult.  Know where it is, know if it's loaded, know where you are.

Best post in this thread.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2014, 11:12:12 AM »
This guy is a retired Sergeant Major.  You don't typically get to that rank by being an idiot or being dishonest.  So yes, I'm choosing to take him at his word that it was a "dumb" mistake. 

This isn't the kind of mistake that results in people dying.  You don't give people a pass when they make dumb mistakes that put peoples lives in danger, like making a loaded weapon accessible to kids.  But something like this?  It's a pretty stupid waste of time and resources.  Turn the guy around at the border.  Take his gun if they believe it's that important.  Don't lock the guy up for four days.     

An example needs to be set so that more people don't make "dumb mistakes" when it comes to guns.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2014, 11:16:06 AM »
An example needs to be set so that more people don't make "dumb mistakes" when it comes to guns.

They're not targeting people who make "dumb mistakes."  They're targeting people who are trying to smuggle guns into the country.  Locking someone up like this doesn't deter criminals at all.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2014, 11:26:49 AM »
They're not targeting people who make "dumb mistakes."  They're targeting people who are trying to smuggle guns into the country.  Locking someone up like this doesn't deter criminals at all.

You're missing the point, sure it does not deter criminals but what it can do is reduce the number non-criminals who make dumb mistakes with guns that sometimes end up hurting someone, by setting an example to others that it won't be taken lightly and they should be more aware of the whereabouts of their weapons.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2014, 11:29:44 AM »
You're missing the point, sure it does not deter criminals but what it can do is reduce the number non-criminals who make dumb mistakes with guns that sometimes end up hurting someone, by setting an example to others that it won't be taken lightly and they should be more aware of the whereabouts of their weapons.

Actually you're missing the point.  They didn't pass laws prohibiting guns from being brought into the country to stop law abiding citizens from making dumb mistakes.  They were targeting people who intentionally bring guns into the country.  Big difference. 

And what statistics show that people like that this end up hurting people in Canada? 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2014, 11:42:50 AM »
They're not targeting people who make "dumb mistakes."  They're targeting people who are trying to smuggle guns into the country.  Locking someone up like this doesn't deter criminals at all.

Hey, BB, while I think (from more than one personal experience) that Canadian border patrol folks are cork-soakers, what does the law say that leads you to believe that it's targeted specifically at gun smugglers?

Unless the way the law is written makes a distinction between intentionally and unintentionally bringing the gun into Canada, I'd say it's targeted at those who'd unlawfully bring guns into Canada.  Period.

That being said, I think that if the guy definitely brought his gun by accident, he shouldn't have to pay as much of a price as some gun smuggler. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2014, 11:51:10 AM »
Hey, BB, while I think (from more than one personal experience) that Canadian border patrol folks are cork-soakers, what does the law say that leads you to believe that it's targeted specifically at gun smugglers?

Unless the way the law is written makes a distinction between intentionally and unintentionally bringing the gun into Canada, I'd say it's targeted at those who'd unlawfully bring guns into Canada.  Period.

That being said, I think that if the guy definitely brought his gun by accident, he shouldn't have to pay as much of a price as some gun smuggler. 

Why would they care if a law abiding citizen brings a lawfully owned gun into the country?  I can see wanting to track gun owners through registration, but lawful, responsible gun owners don't put people's lives in danger and don't commit gun crimes. 

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2014, 11:54:51 AM »
Actually you're missing the point.  They didn't pass laws prohibiting guns from being brought into the country to stop law abiding citizens from making dumb mistakes.  They were targeting people who intentionally bring guns into the country.  Big difference.  

And what statistics show that people like that this end up hurting people in Canada?  

I didn't even read details of the article, but from what I read he was unaware of the whereabouts of a gun that he brought into the country.  Any time you aren't even aware of the location of your gun is extremely irresponsible and it could get into the wrong hands without the gun owner even knowing, since he had no idea of it in the first place.  This type of idiocy should be punished enough to make other gun owners careful to be more aware of their guns' whereabouts.

I'm also not sure of what exact law they used in their decision or not, all I'm saying is this guy is careless and deserves some kind of punishment due to the nature of the item he was being careless about.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2014, 11:58:20 AM »
I didn't even read details of the article, but from what I read he was unaware of the whereabouts of a gun that he brought into the country.  Any time you aren't even aware of the location of your gun is extremely irresponsible and it could get into the wrong hands without the gun owner even knowing, since he had no idea of it in the first place.  This type of idiocy should be punished enough to make other gun owners want to be more aware of their guns' whereabouts.

I agree it's ok for them to punish him (although they should have just turned him around and sent him back across the border).  I don't agree he should have spent four days in jail and be facing an extended prison term.  This should be handled with a fine, which is a good enough deterrent for people who make stupid mistakes that don't actually endanger anyone. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2014, 12:08:07 PM »
lot of spec op Kids on here. Doubt if most of you know good weapon drills never mind use them.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2014, 12:49:14 PM »
Have a nice vacation.  See you in a month?   :)

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2014, 12:53:14 PM »
Why would they care if a law abiding citizen brings a lawfully owned gun into the country?  I can see wanting to track gun owners through registration, but lawful, responsible gun owners don't put people's lives in danger and don't commit gun crimes. 

Who knows what's in the minds of Canucks? 

They like hockey, and some of 'em even prefer to speak French, fer Christ's sake.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2014, 03:41:12 PM »
Those fries with the cheese abd Gravy are pretty tucking good with their better beer. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2014, 08:58:16 PM »
Those fries with the cheese abd Gravy are pretty tucking good with their better beer. 

Strange food containing gravy with a name that begins with the sound "poo"? 

Call me a wuss but I'm gonna pass, lol.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2014, 03:12:43 PM »

It's exactly the type of mistake that results in somebody getting hurt, it just didn't happen in this case.  Not knowing where your gun is causes problems.  And if he's that much of a 'professional', this never would have happened to begin with.

I've been hunting plenty along the MD and PA border and never once crossed.

Again, he needs to grow the fuck up and be an adult.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2014, 03:17:51 PM »