Author Topic: The Smith machine  (Read 5035 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
The Smith machine
« on: February 11, 2014, 09:23:21 AM »
 ;D

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Re: The Smith machine
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 09:53:10 AM »
I love the smith machine LOL.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:00:57 AM »
My favorite piece of equipment :)

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 11:05:16 AM »
im a huge smith fan also
R

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 11:06:04 AM »
hate the smith machine
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 11:08:11 AM »
Groink loves the Smiths.

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 11:12:04 AM »

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 12:35:49 PM »
:

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 12:36:42 PM »
i prefer the smythe, dogcrapp style

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 12:47:09 PM »
Hilarious!

And for the record, the Smith machine is one of the best pieces of equipment if injury is your end game.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 01:00:04 PM »
;D

pic'd is the inventor of the smith machine rudy smith [were you expecting jones] pic underneath is the vince gironda version pipe smith mach.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 01:02:24 PM »
next to pic is the weider version  called the multi-press ubit 29.95 back in the day.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 01:04:18 PM »
about a month ago a guy on ironhistory.com gave one away for free. here's the pic.
F

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 01:11:56 PM »
I built myself one of these in highschool shop when I was a kid.   its amazing how many things you can do on one when you are young and motivated

Coach, that vertical leg press has been sitting out in the snow on my acreage since we talked about it a couple years ago.  I'm guessing it Is pretty much ruined by now.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 01:30:36 PM »
I built myself one of these in highschool shop when I was a kid.   its amazing how many things you can do on one when you are young and motivated

Coach, that vertical leg press has been sitting out in the snow on my acreage since we talked about it a couple years ago.  I'm guessing it Is pretty much ruined by now.

??? I didn't hear back from you on that so I figured you didn't want to get rid of it. Damn!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 01:30:46 PM »
Just a couple of points with the smith machine. One is the obvious. You have to subtract about 35 lbs from what ever you do on one with the counter weights.

These two are the big ones concerning safety. Yes, spin the bar and it will catch. You can also set the lowest height of travel safety bars. The part that could get you killed is if you are benching or incline benching and you touch your chest and get stuck you might not be at the right height for the twist catch to catch. You might need another 3 to 4 inches travel for the catch and if you are stuck you are in trouble if no one is around.

Lastly, you could tip over the entire unit squatting. Generally is happens with heavy weights. Just using 2 or 3 45lbs on each side on a quality unit isn't to bad but it can still happen. When you squat you don't push the bar in a completely perpendicular path that the smith machine requires. Shoving the bar forward or backward could tip the entire unit. The injuries could be horrific.

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 01:32:37 PM »
hate the smith machine

Amen....that shit hurts my shoulder when doing any type of bench pressing....I like smith only for squating

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 05:03:44 PM »
??? I didn't hear back from you on that so I figured you didn't want to get rid of it. Damn!

damn bro.   last thing I texted you was to get a shipping company to give you a quote on delivery.  I didn't want anything from you for it. I figured the shipping was high and you decided it wasn't worth it.   sorry for the miscommunication. 

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 07:51:14 PM »
I use it once in a while for military presses when everything else is booked up.

We don't have a barbell military press station at our gym, it's fucking gay.

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 08:36:47 PM »
I don't mind using the smith.  I train alone, Clubber Lang style so it's easier then asking some queef for a spot on a free barbell.

HavoX

• Getbig IV
  • Shamed by thunderdome
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 11:12:23 PM »
I use it for heavy curls

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 11:30:57 PM »
Ah, the Smith machine. The original machine solved the problem of not binding by having both sides locked by chains and sprockets. I never liked that so devised a version in 1982 in my factory that used linear motion bearings. No sprockets or chains were necessary. Now everyone uses linear motion bearings. I believe I was the first to solve this problem with these bearings.

Someone improved the machine by having a slight angle. When you do squats, presses and bench presses you don't go in a straight line but a curve. The angle of about 10 degrees makes a big difference. I also used stainless steel for the bar which had an internal high tensile steel bar. Pins were covered in polyurethane so there was no metal to metal contact. The machine that I made stopped just before your neck if you were bench pressing. So you couldn't get trapped in that exercise. All the bench presses, inclines and declines in my gym have safety catches so one can't impact ones face while using them.

The machine I made in the photo is probably the best such machine ever made. It has quality stainless steel parts. A chinning station, foot rest, and is angled at 10 degrees.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 11:31:56 PM »
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 11:34:31 PM »
Ah, the Smith machine. The original machine solved the problem of not binding by having both sides locked by chains and sprockets. I never liked that so devised a version in 1982 in my factory that used linear motion bearings. No sprockets or chains were necessary. Now everyone uses linear motion bearings. I believe I was the first to solve this problem with these bearings.

Someone improved the machine by having a slight angle. When you do squats, presses and bench presses you don't go in a straight line but a curve. The angle of about 10 degrees makes a big difference. I also used stainless steel for the bar which had an internal high tensile steel bar. Pins were covered in polyurethane so there was no metal to metal contact. The machine that I made stopped just before your neck if you were bench pressing. So you couldn't get trapped in that exercise. All the bench presses, inclines and declines in my gym have safety catches so one can't impact ones face while using them.

The machine I made in the photo is probably the best such machine ever made. It has quality stainless steel parts. A chinning station, foot rest, and is angled at 10 degrees.

What about this bicep machine?

X

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 11:55:17 PM »
The biceps-supinator is in my factory in pieces. Will have the arm assemblies bolted to the frame so it can easily go through doorways. Will adjust the action for the 3rd time. Have to get it right.