Author Topic: Holder: Restore felons' voting rights  (Read 1877 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Holder: Restore felons' voting rights
« on: February 12, 2014, 10:11:52 AM »
I know people who agree with this.  Not sure what I think. 

By JOSH GERSTEIN | 2/11/14

People convicted of felonies should not forever lose their right to vote, according to Attorney General Eric Holder.

In remarks prepared for delivery at a criminal justice conference Tuesday, Holder takes aim at state laws which strip voting rights from those convicted of serious crimes.

"It is time to fundamentally rethink laws that permanently disenfranchise people who are no longer under federal or state supervision," Holder is to tell the Leadership Council on Civil and Human Rights Criminal Justice Forum at Georgetown law school. "These restrictions are not only unnecessary and unjust, they are also counterproductive.  By perpetuating the stigma and isolation imposed on formerly incarcerated individuals, these laws increase the likelihood they will commit future crimes."

Holder also plans to note that felon-disenfranchisement laws ban almost one in 13 African Americans from voting and, in states like Florida, Kentucky and Virginia, as many as one in five black adults have been stripped of voting rights. The attorney general argues that these measures are relics of a bygone era.

"However well-intentioned current advocates of felony disenfranchisement may be – the reality is that these measures are, at best, profoundly outdated," Holder is to say. "At worst, these laws, with their disparate impact on minority communities, echo policies enacted during a deeply troubled period in America’s past – a time of post-Civil War discrimination.  And they have their roots in centuries-old conceptions of justice that were too often based on exclusion, animus, and fear."

Holder has been stepping up his public advocacy on various issues in recent months, including reform to the criminal justice system. He's pressing to rein in the use of mandatory minimum sentences, particularly for drug crime, and is encouraging some federal inmates to apply for presidential commutations. Such actions would surely have caused a stir during the tough-on-crime 1990s, Holder's recent moves have encountered little public or political resistance. In fact, some Republicans are supporting shorter sentences for some offenders—in part due to huge prison costs federal and state governments are incurring.

Holder's speech Tuesday is also expected to include an unusual shout-out for a former Republican official now getting up up-close-and-personal experience with the criminal justice system thanks to prosecutors working for Holder: former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell.

"Just last year, former Governor McDonnell adopted a policy that began to automatically restore the voting rights of former prisoners with non-violent felony convictions," the attorney general's prepared remarks say. "I applaud those who have already shown leadership in raising awareness and helping to address this issue."

McDonnell and his wife Maureen were indicted in federal court in Richmond last month on fraud and corruption charges stemming from their relationship with a wealthy Virginia businessman. The McDonnells pled not guilty to their charges and are free pending trial.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2014/02/holder-restore-felons-voting-rights-183101.html?hp=l10

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Re: Holder: Restore felons' voting rights
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 04:31:57 PM »
I know people who agree with this.  Not sure what I think. 

By JOSH GERSTEIN | 2/11/14

People convicted of felonies should not forever lose their right to vote, according to Attorney General Eric Holder.

In remarks prepared for delivery at a criminal justice conference Tuesday, Holder takes aim at state laws which strip voting rights from those convicted of serious crimes.

"It is time to fundamentally rethink laws that permanently disenfranchise people who are no longer under federal or state supervision," Holder is to tell the Leadership Council on Civil and Human Rights Criminal Justice Forum at Georgetown law school. "These restrictions are not only unnecessary and unjust, they are also counterproductive.  By perpetuating the stigma and isolation imposed on formerly incarcerated individuals, these laws increase the likelihood they will commit future crimes."

Holder also plans to note that felon-disenfranchisement laws ban almost one in 13 African Americans from voting and, in states like Florida, Kentucky and Virginia, as many as one in five black adults have been stripped of voting rights. The attorney general argues that these measures are relics of a bygone era.

"However well-intentioned current advocates of felony disenfranchisement may be – the reality is that these measures are, at best, profoundly outdated," Holder is to say. "At worst, these laws, with their disparate impact on minority communities, echo policies enacted during a deeply troubled period in America’s past – a time of post-Civil War discrimination.  And they have their roots in centuries-old conceptions of justice that were too often based on exclusion, animus, and fear."

Holder has been stepping up his public advocacy on various issues in recent months, including reform to the criminal justice system. He's pressing to rein in the use of mandatory minimum sentences, particularly for drug crime, and is encouraging some federal inmates to apply for presidential commutations. Such actions would surely have caused a stir during the tough-on-crime 1990s, Holder's recent moves have encountered little public or political resistance. In fact, some Republicans are supporting shorter sentences for some offenders—in part due to huge prison costs federal and state governments are incurring.

Holder's speech Tuesday is also expected to include an unusual shout-out for a former Republican official now getting up up-close-and-personal experience with the criminal justice system thanks to prosecutors working for Holder: former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell.

"Just last year, former Governor McDonnell adopted a policy that began to automatically restore the voting rights of former prisoners with non-violent felony convictions," the attorney general's prepared remarks say. "I applaud those who have already shown leadership in raising awareness and helping to address this issue."

McDonnell and his wife Maureen were indicted in federal court in Richmond last month on fraud and corruption charges stemming from their relationship with a wealthy Virginia businessman. The McDonnells pled not guilty to their charges and are free pending trial.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2014/02/holder-restore-felons-voting-rights-183101.html?hp=l10

I somewhat agree with the position.  If someone has done the time for something minor and paid their dues then there's no need to further punish them. 
A

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 04:48:03 PM »
I somewhat agree with the position.  If someone has done the time for something minor and paid their dues then there's no need to further punish them. 
felonies are generally not something minor

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 05:37:35 PM »
Nope. Completely disagree.

Withholding their voting rights is a punishment in my opinion. Not a major one but one nonetheless.

They would all vote liberal/democratic anyways.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 06:00:39 PM »
felonies are generally not something minor

That's not always true... If you have some blow on you, you're a felon.

Steroids... Felon.

I mean, I agree if it's a violent crime... No fucking way.

But when the crimes are of a non-violent nature, I'm inclined to think that once they have done the time, they should be all forgiven.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 06:01:43 PM »
That's not always true... If you have some blow on you, you're a felon.

Steroids... Felon.

I mean, I agree if it's a violent crime... No fucking way.

But when the crimes are of a non-violent nature, I'm inclined to think that once they have done the time, they should be all forgiven.

hence why i said "generally"...

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 06:07:06 PM »
hence why i said "generally"...

I would wonder what the actual breakdown is for violent vs. non-violent felons.

I don't know if it's as big as you think.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 06:11:38 PM »
I would wonder what the actual breakdown is for violent vs. non-violent felons.

I don't know if it's as big as you think.

I never said it was, I said most felonies are not something minor.

Also a felony doesnt have to be a violent crime to be more than minor...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 12:27:07 AM »
They would all vote liberal/democratic anyways.

We can't say "ALL" ....  but I would bet far more than 50% of them would vote dem. 

Dems love the idea, repubs will hate it.  I think NOW, you can get your record "expunged" and be able to vote again in many states.  Someone in my family actually did that.
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/expungement-of-criminal-records-basics-32641.html

Honestly, I don't understand it.  Fresh start, maybe, but IMO, people don't change that much.  If you murder someone at 21, you're still a wolf at 41.  That doesn't change.  You might mellow out and be really sorry, but you still have that blood in you.  A child molester who isn't convicted of another child rape for 20 years is STILL a fcking sick bastard. 

I don't understand expungements, and I dont support giving felons right to vote - ever.  Some idiot will run on the "i'll expunge 100% of criminals in amerca's record" and he will WIN his election, if all the felons can vote.

SCRUBS

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 06:01:58 AM »
Wonder if he feels the same about their 2nd amendment rights...

scottt

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 06:31:48 AM »
Wondered the same thing.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 07:30:30 AM »

Nope. Everything this guy does is about either racially motivated or about getting more democrat votes.

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 07:36:19 AM »
Nope. Everything this guy does is about either racially motivated or about getting more democrat votes.

Holder is obsessed with race.  Holder has said white people cant experience hate crimes.  The logic of this statement is confounding.  He's a very dangerous person.   Oddly enough he's from a middle class family.  Maybe he feels guilt having grown up as a middle class child and as a result overcompensates his blackness as a coping strategy.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 07:45:23 AM »
Obama just wants more thugs voting for Democrats

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 09:38:05 AM »
Holder is obsessed with race.  Holder has said white people cant experience hate crimes.  The logic of this statement is confounding.  He's a very dangerous person.   Oddly enough he's from a middle class family.  Maybe he feels guilt having grown up as a middle class child and as a result overcompensates his blackness as a coping strategy.

Very scary considering the office he holds. He needs to be removed from power, at the very least.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 03:31:18 PM »
Rand Paul fights for felon voting rights
By Halimah Abdullah, CNN
Wed February 19, 2014

(CNN) -- Tayna Fogle sat just behind Sen. Rand Paul, nodding her head and listening as he pressed the case with Kentucky state senators to restore felon voting rights.

"Kids do make mistakes. White kids make mistakes. Black kids make mistakes. Brown kids make mistakes," Paul told the Kentucky state Senate committee considering a constitutional amendment to restore the voting rights of some felons on Wednesday. "But when you look at the prison population, three out of the four people in prison are black or brown."

Fogle whispered: "Good for you. I'm glad someone is speaking up."

She felt as if he was narrating her life.

In 1991, the former University of Kentucky basketball team captain received a 10-year sentence for crack cocaine possession. Since her release, she has been unable to vote.

"I remember when my mom showed me how to vote for the very first time. I remember watching the movies of my ancestors getting mauled by dogs and water hoses," Fogle said, her voice cracking a bit. "It changed my life completely. I was an embarrassment to my family. My community."
"I'm not making any excuses for my behavior. Should I have gotten a 10-year sentence? Yes, I should have. Have I served my time? Yes, I have."

The issue of restoring felon voting rights has made for some unusual alliances as former felons, like Fogle, see in lawmakers like Paul, a tea party-backed Republican, a champion.

Nationally, about 5.8 million people are prohibited from voting because of current or previous felony convictions, according to Attorney Gen. Eric Holder.

In the swing states of Florida and Virginia, one in five black adults is unable to vote because of these laws, according to Holder.
In Paul's home state of Kentucky, it's also one in five.

"Somewhere along the line he gained a lot of knowledge," Fogle said of Paul's push to restore voting rights to nonviolent felons. "He has seen the disenfranchisement."

One place where he notices that is west Louisville's predominantly African-American neighborhoods, a community where Paul sticks out at the grassroots gatherings he's attended.

The potential 2016 presidential candidate has spent quite a bit of time over the past year in that area and at the Plymouth Community Renewal Center listening to black men vent frustration over not being able to vote after completing their prison terms for nonviolent crimes.

Paul said he started thinking that this is exactly the type of issue that could help build a bridge between the Republican Party and African-American voters.

"It's an important issue. When you look at who is being deprived of voting they are disproportionately people of color," Paul told the state Senate panel.

It is a lesson he says was brought home for him in real terms while hanging out in west Louisville.

"In the last six months or so, I've been over to the Plymouth Community Center in the west side of Louisville and I met a lot of people there who are very smart, very bright, very articulate who told me they can't vote because (because they are felons)," Paul said in a phone interview before the hearing. "I've become aware of the problem ... not just in regard to voting but also in terms of getting work."

Paul's push to change laws he says disenfranchise black men—a longtime crusade of many civil rights organizations and minority lawmakers—echoes the slow evolution of the Republican Party following huge losses among African-American voters during the 2012 presidential election.

Tough racial issues face GOP in minority outreach

An internal autopsy of sorts conducted last year by the Republican National Committee revealed a wide gap between the party and African American voters. The GOP moved to try and fix the rift by beefing up outreach.

"We've been improving our messaging because we need to," said Orlando Watson, the RNC communications director for black media and a former Paul staffer. "But we need to speak to how our messaging (improves the lives) of all Americans."

As the RNC was working on its messaging problem, potential presidential contenders such as Paul also began tentatively reaching out to minority voters.

Paul's speeches at historically black colleges Howard University in Washington and Simmons College in Louisville, among others have been met with mixed reviews.

He was roiled for what some saw as a condescending tone in his questioning whether Howard students knew that the NAACP founders were Republican. But he also received kudos for just showing up. Last year, he was the first major Republican to speak at Howard since Colin Powell in 1994.

Efforts like Paul's illustrate the delicate dance the GOP must undertake if it is to appeal to minority voters in a way that is sincere, said Andra Gillespie, an associate professor of political science at Emory University.

"If the policies are wrong and aren't framed in a way that is appealing to minorities they are going to be a hard sell to minorities," she said.
Paul may have just struck the right chord.

During his lunch last week with Holder, Paul said he talked about their shared concerns about laws that disenfranchise black men, including mandatory minimum sentences for nonviolent crimes.

Paul's also crafting a federal measure that would restore voting rights for felons who committed nonviolent crimes.

"We have to convince people we do care," Paul said during a phone interview of the GOP's outreach to minorities. "We do care about what is going on in areas of long-term poverty and long-term crime."

Currently, 11 states restrict or completely deny voting rights to prisoners even after they've completed sentences, probation and parole. In Florida, for example, roughly 10% of the population is banned from voting as a result of these laws.

"There's a racial outcome in who's incarcerated in our country," Paul told the state senators. "Not only is the incarceration unfair but they get out and their voting rights are impaired."

As for Fogle, who did get a chance to meet Paul in person and take a picture with him, she points out that her son registered as a Republican by accident when he voted for the first time. She's encouraged him to keep the party affiliation.

"I told him it didn't matter," she said. "As long as he voted."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/19/politics/rand-paul-felon-voting/index.html

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 03:32:52 PM »
The fact alone that Holder backs it means it's probably not right.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 04:11:03 PM »
Nope dont agree with rand, I can get on board with certain felonies but murder, armed robbery, rape, drug dealing etc...nope those ppl have given up their right and should not get it back.

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 04:12:17 PM »
The fact alone that Holder backs it means it's probably not right.

Your absolutely right.  Holder is a menace who shouldn't be within a thousand miles of the Justice Department.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 06:51:29 AM »
10 years for possesion of coke? Dude, wtf.... ive hear of murderers/rapists getting less time than that... and I know plenty of white collar upperclass dudes that blow lines every weekend and still maintain a career as prestigious law firms....

our country is so fucked up....

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 07:00:02 AM »
One has to wonder what party said ex felons would vote for.......oh wait Holder is putting this forward so actually you don't.
L

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 08:20:27 AM »
Weird that Paul would jump into this topic, race card in hand. Basically taking the 'there are more colored folks in prison 'because racist'' stance ::)

His base is not going to like this.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 10:31:29 AM »
10 years for possesion of coke? Dude, wtf.... ive hear of murderers/rapists getting less time than that... and I know plenty of white collar upperclass dudes that blow lines every weekend and still maintain a career as prestigious law firms....

our country is so fucked up....
How much coke? What was his previous criminal history? You can't look at shit in a vacuum. I agree our legal system can be fucked up but the majority of the time it's decent

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 10:39:04 AM »
How many ex-felons would actually vote, I wonder?   

Gotta believe that most (I want to say almost all) would have more immediate concerns.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 10:43:07 AM »
How many ex-felons would actually vote, I wonder?   

Gotta believe that most (I want to say almost all) would have more immediate concerns.
The same could be said for extremely poor people...