Author Topic: Bose systems worth the price?  (Read 3417 times)

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
Bose systems worth the price?
« on: February 15, 2014, 02:28:32 PM »
I'm looking at getting a decent surround sound system for my new TV.

Been looking at Bose systems and read great things, but the price makes me wonder whether it's worth it over a Sony/Samsung/Pioneer offering. Only 5.1 as 7.1 will make the room too cluttered. Anyone know anything that's comparable with Bose but would be better value? Or shall I just suck it up and drop a grand on it.

Bodybuilding related: I'll be playing Celine Dion through it whilst practicing my rear glute pose

Simple Simon

Re: Bose systems worth the price?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 02:30:31 PM »
Its great for a week or so then you get used to it, it becomes the norm.

Same with anything really, huge big fuck off TVs are exactly the same, you watch it in awe for a week then its ..Meh.

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 02:33:04 PM »

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 02:35:05 PM »
lol@ Bose, Bose is like the Beats By Dre of the speaker world, shitty overpriced trash that sounds like shit for the price.Give a price point and ill tell you waht to get.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 02:35:47 PM »
I actually bought a Bose Acoustimass system years ago using Marriott points.  It has not only held up amazingly well the sound quality has held up all these years too.

Can't go wrong!

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 02:36:50 PM »
lol@ Bose, Bose is like the Beats By Dre of the speaker world, shitty overpriced trash that sounds like shit for the price.Give a price point and ill tell you waht to get.

Let's say $1000 max. I'm not enough of an enthusiast to justify spending more.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 02:38:17 PM »
Would a sound bar be just as good? Saves me trying to find a place for all the speakers

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 02:38:39 PM »
Let's say $1000 max. I'm not enough of an enthusiast to justify spending more.

your English arnt you James?So around £650?

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 02:39:20 PM »
Would a sound bar be just as good? Saves me trying to find a place for all the speakers

no, not even close

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 02:41:08 PM »
your English arnt you James?So around £650?

Yea, but I'll be buying it in America (from NZ). So around 1000 bucks (or £650)

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 02:41:43 PM »
no, not even close

Meh, fair enough. Speakers it is.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 02:44:25 PM »
I could buy it in NZ but it's just as easy importing it plus much much bigger variety. Amazon delivers within a week.

Simple Simon

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 02:46:05 PM »
I could buy it in NZ but it's just as easy importing it plus much much bigger variety. Amazon delivers within a week.

Ill take a look and get back to you, I assumed you were in the uk

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 02:48:34 PM »
Ill take a look and get back to you, I assumed you were in the uk

I'm still here but leaving next week. Could still buy it here.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 03:33:46 PM »

Correct, this man gets it.  All marketing and hype.

MikMaq

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 03:38:30 PM »
Meh if you don't have the ears for it, if you don't have the content(high quality movies  etc), and you don't have good room acoustics it's fucking useless.

Anyway I'd avoid the high end shit, it's a bit of a scam as your personal preference for sounds I think is more important.
I personally like using my Bass Amp for all my sound needs.

titusisback

• Getbig V
  • Team Ban Mom Lostabet
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 07:48:00 PM »
Technically they're garbage, but if they sound good to you go ahead and get it.

McDonalds is shit too but it has its use.

dustin

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 07:50:25 PM »
I wouldn't invest more than a few hundred in a sound system. If you can even notice a difference at first, the novelty will wear off after watching a few movies. I love being on the bleeding edge of technology but not the biggest audiophile. Great sound is great, but you don't need superb sound quality.

Bose is super overpriced as well. They've come a long way and have great products now, but they're just like Apple. Way overpriced and you could get anything a lot cheaper.

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
  • ...and Doom shall control the world!
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 08:01:08 PM »
I'm looking at getting a decent surround sound system for my new TV.

Been looking at Bose systems and read great things, but the price makes me wonder whether it's worth it over a Sony/Samsung/Pioneer offering. Only 5.1 as 7.1 will make the room too cluttered. Anyone know anything that's comparable with Bose but would be better value? Or shall I just suck it up and drop a grand on it.

Bodybuilding related: I'll be playing Celine Dion through it whilst practicing my rear glute pose

If you are having anxiety about shelling out for the Bose then you cannot afford it and you should move on to another brand.  As Dustin noted the novelty of whatever you buy will wear off rather quickly.  The money you save will be better spent elsewhere.  Bah!

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 08:09:08 PM »
just build your own speakers out of some metal and rubber
A

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 08:22:35 PM »
Bose is fine for a bedroom. For the main movie-watching room you definitely want to go with a receiver and speakers. I did a ton of research when I was putting together my home theater set-up last year. I disagree with the comment above about not noticing the difference of good speakers after a while. I am constantly impressed by how much better movies are, even ones I have seen many times before. A movie's audio is half the experience. I initially considered Bose but the components are not upgradable, and some Bose systems use hardwired cables instead of standard speaker cable (so if the cables are not long enough or need to be replaced, you're screwed).
You want to start with the best receiver you can afford, then the best subwoofer you can afford, then your front, center, and rears ( which don't have to be expensive). I went with a Denon receiver, an SVS sub, and Pioneer FS52 speakers. The best thing about going this route is that each piece can be upgraded whenever needed. With Bose what you get is what you get.

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 10:32:54 PM »
Bose is fine for a bedroom. For the main movie-watching room you definitely want to go with a receiver and speakers. I did a ton of research when I was putting together my home theater set-up last year. I disagree with the comment above about not noticing the difference of good speakers after a while. I am constantly impressed by how much better movies are, even ones I have seen many times before. A movie's audio is half the experience. I initially considered Bose but the components are not upgradable,and some Bose systems use hardwired cables instead of standard speaker cable (so if the cables are not long enough or need to be replaced, you're screwed).
You want to start with the best receiver you can afford, then the best subwoofer you can afford, then your front, center, and rears ( which don't have to be expensive). I went with a Denon receiver, an SVS sub, and Pioneer FS52 speakers. The best thing about going this route is that each piece can be upgraded whenever needed. With Bose what you get is what you get.
this x100

Automation

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 11:47:26 PM »

All true.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 12:03:07 AM »
If you are having anxiety about shelling out for the Bose then you cannot afford it and you should move on to another brand.  As Dustin noted the novelty of whatever you buy will wear off rather quickly.  The money you save will be better spent elsewhere.  Bah!

Hehe, 'Coach', you just don't get it do you?