Author Topic: Is it true that we recommend we eat less processed foods?  (Read 5543 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Is it true that we recommend we eat less processed foods?
« on: February 16, 2014, 08:36:43 PM »
That health authorities world wide recommend we eat less processed food and more fruits and vegetables?

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
Re: Is it true
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 08:37:37 PM »
Yes.

whitewidow

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 08:38:38 PM »
That nearly all health authorities recommend we eat less processed food and more fruits and vegetables?

It's true brother!

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 08:39:49 PM »
That nearly all health authorities recommend we eat less processed food and more fruits and vegetables?
No.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 08:42:30 PM »
No.

What about articles like this TA:

Eat less processed food, say experts

Processed foods are to blame for the sharp rise in obesity levels and chronic disease around the globe, according to the World Health Organization.

In a report published on Monday, it urged people to cut their intake of such foods, which are often high in saturated fats, sugar and salt.

The team of international scientists, who compiled the report, said eating more fruit and vegetables and exercising more were the best way to protect against chronic disease.

The scientists have set out new guidelines for healthy eating. These will be adopted by WHO as part of its new global strategy to reduce heart disease, cancer, diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis and dental disease.

The panel have urged people to eat a healthy balanced diet and to limit their intake of salt, sugar and saturated fats.

They warned that chronic diseases are caused not only by overeating but also by eating too much of the wrong types of food.

"People should eat less high-calorie foods, especially foods high in saturated fat and sugar, be physically active, prefer unsaturated for saturated fat and use less salt; enjoy fruits, vegetables and legumes and prefer foods of plant and marine origin."

Read more: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2814253.stm

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 08:42:35 PM »
http://www.scripps.org/news_items/4436-5-food-myths-and-misconceptions

2. Myth: Avoid all processed foods
Not all processed foods are created equal, says Kearney. Whole foods blended in a food processor are still the same food. Some processed foods are good for you, such as whole grain pasta, canned light tuna packed in water and plain flash-frozen fruits and vegetables.

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 08:43:11 PM »
i dont know, but the recommended average joes diet, the govt recomendation is quite ok here, maybe the calorie count is bit too high, but its good.

the problem lays somewhere else, the same ppl who cry for more freedom, is the same idiots often who dont abide by the reasonable suggestions.

its not like they making it up from their arses btw, and its not decided by government actualy.they hand out the contract to scientific institutions who then put together a general recomendation, something as close as possible to "One size fits all".

it cant be perfect but its good.

but irresponisble fattos will always be missing the goal.

they deem eating like swine as some wuality of life.

n

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 08:44:25 PM »
What about articles like this TA:

Eat less processed food, say experts

Processed foods are to blame for the sharp rise in obesity levels and chronic disease around the globe, according to the World Health Organization.

In a report published on Monday, it urged people to cut their intake of such foods, which are often high in saturated fats, sugar and salt.

The team of international scientists, who compiled the report, said eating more fruit and vegetables and exercising more were the best way to protect against chronic disease.

The scientists have set out new guidelines for healthy eating. These will be adopted by WHO as part of its new global strategy to reduce heart disease, cancer, diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis and dental disease.

The panel have urged people to eat a healthy balanced diet and to limit their intake of salt, sugar and saturated fats.

They warned that chronic diseases are caused not only by overeating but also by eating too much of the wrong types of food.

Read more: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2814253.stm
The WHO is also behind the new Sugar bullshit scare (there was a post on this earlier this month here) that has been debunked already.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 08:45:24 PM »
http://www.scripps.org/news_items/4436-5-food-myths-and-misconceptions

2. Myth: Avoid all processed foods
Not all processed foods are created equal, says Kearney. Whole foods blended in a food processor are still the same food. Some processed foods are good for you, such as whole grain pasta, canned light tuna packed in water and plain flash-frozen fruits and vegetables.

Okay, I can see the difference. Overall though, would you agree that they're right in urging people to watch their intake of processed foods and encouraging people to eat more fruits and vegetables?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 08:46:07 PM »
http://www.nhs.uk/change4life/Pages/food-exercise-mythbuster.aspx

Myth 7 : Processed foods are not as healthy for me as fresh foods

In some cases this is true, but a lot of processed foods are just as healthy, and sometimes even more healthy than fresh foods. This all depends on how they are processed.

For example, frozen fruit and frozen vegetables are usually processed within hours of being picked. Because hardly any nutrients get lost in the freezing process they stay very healthy.
    They are often cheaper for you to buy too, which makes them a fantastic option to help make up your 5 A DAY

Read more: easy ways to get 5 A DAY

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 08:46:36 PM »
The WHO is also behind the new Sugar bullshit scare (there was a post on this earlier this month here) that has been debunked already.

Okay, I'll look into that

I'm under the impression that sugar is the worst thing people eat.

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 08:47:05 PM »
adonis is playing semantics.

hes saying the sugar scare is reasonless i see.

the governments say a little bit sugar daily is fine.they dont demonize it.

theres smart calculators out there which can be used by non experts, but as ive said its pointless if one wont be caring anyway.

n

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 08:47:12 PM »
Okay, I can see the difference. Overall though, would you agree that they're right in urging people to watch their intake of processed foods and encouraging people to eat more fruits and vegetables?
No.

Because they could just as easily be encouraged to purchase and consume processed fruits and vegetables which are just as healthy if not more at times if vitamins are added.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 08:47:42 PM »
the problem lays somewhere else, the same ppl who cry for more freedom, is the same idiots often who dont abide by the reasonable suggestions.

That's the stupidest thing you've ever posted... I'm a libertarian and I started this thread... lol

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 08:49:43 PM »
http://www.nhs.uk/change4life/Pages/food-exercise-mythbuster.aspx

Myth 7 : Processed foods are not as healthy for me as fresh foods

In some cases this is true, but a lot of processed foods are just as healthy, and sometimes even more healthy than fresh foods. This all depends on how they are processed.

For example, frozen fruit and frozen vegetables are usually processed within hours of being picked. Because hardly any nutrients get lost in the freezing process they stay very healthy.
    They are often cheaper for you to buy too, which makes them a fantastic option to help make up your 5 A DAY

Read more: easy ways to get 5 A DAY

I almost always get frozen for this reason. I also can't deal with having wrinkly vegetables in my fridge....such a waste

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 08:49:57 PM »
adonis is playing semantics.

hes saying the sugar scare is reasonless i see.

the governments say a little bit sugar daily is fine.they dont demonize it.

theres smart calculators out there which can be used by non experts, but as ive said its pointless if one wont be caring anyway.

Its not semantics.  Its called facts and evidence.  Too many calories are the culprit and nothing else.  It does not matter where they come from.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 08:52:15 PM »
No.

Because they could just as easily be encouraged to purchase and consume processed fruits and vegetables which are just as healthy if not more at times if vitamins are added.

Okay, but besides scenarios like that. Would you agree that it's a good idea for people to eat less Cheese-its and Coca Cola overall and maybe replace the that caloric intake with fresh fruits and vegetables? ???

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 08:52:41 PM »
People shouldn`t have to abide by any restrictions when it comes to eating as there should be no restrictions whatsoever.  

whitewidow

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 08:53:20 PM »
Its not semantics.  Its called facts and evidence.  Too many calories are the culprit and nothing else.  It does not matter where they come from.

a calorie is a calorie-right? that is what mentzer always said. mickey D's or homemade orgainic food does not matter a calorie is a calorie. sugar is sugar. salt packets come in handy

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 08:53:42 PM »
That's the stupidest thing you've ever posted... I'm a libertarian and I started this thread... lol
i said often, didnt say every one.

ppl would naturaly say the govt has no business in telling them what to eat, despite it merely being well meant recomendations, meanwhile the usa is an obese nation, and the whole european union following in no much better shape.

that was my point.

ppl overeat, its not my problem, its theirs.

but if you would ask all citizens if govt should have a say(btw i think it shouldnt)on the matter, or even power, almost everyone would say no.

it was a very smart thing i posted imo, just depends how its looked at

partialy yes, but you should perhaps read a neutral book or so about metabolism processes, instead of internet selective balonie to reinforce a biased point.

n

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 08:54:02 PM »
People shouldn`t have to abide by any restrictions when it comes to eating as there should be no restrictions whatsoever.  

There aren't thankfully, except for the bizarre laws in NY and LA.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 08:54:43 PM »

ppl would naturaly say the govt has no business in telling them what to eat, despite it merely being well meant recomendations, meanwhile the usa is an obese nation, and the whole european union following in no much better shape.

that was my point.

but if you would ask all citizens if govt should have a say(btw i think it shouldnt)on the matter, or even power, almost everyone would say no.

partialy yes, but you should perhaps read a neutral book or so about metabolism processes, instead of internet selective balonie to reinforce a biased point.

Okay, I see what you're saying. I guarantee you the government can't/won't solve the obesity problem.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 08:55:50 PM »
Okay, but besides scenarios like that. Would you agree that it's a good idea for people to eat less Cheese-its and Coca Cola overall and maybe replace the that caloric intake with fresh fruits and vegetables? ???
It wouldn`t matter one bit if their caloric intake was too high to begin with.  Obese people are not suffering from lack of nutrients or lack of nutrition.  I would encourage them to eat three meals a day and cook each meal and have only one serving of each meal.  

The food isn`t the problem, just like the gun is not the problem.  Its the moron behind the fork or the trigger that is the problem.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 08:58:14 PM »

that was my point.

I have read many books on food politics and nutrition.  I even read all of Michael Pollan`s bullshit books.

This is one of my favorites.

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 09:00:11 PM »
I'd say, let's stop thinking about these "rules" and go off of how foods make us look/ feel.

I generally cook my own stuff from unadulterated ingredients. Of course I'll eat the worst foods imaginable, too, but I'm not eating them for energy or for my appearance. I'm an advocate for hippie foods because conventional stuff just doesn't make me feel good. This doesn't mean ALL non "natural"/organic foods are bad. For example, Nabisco grahams give me a stay in bed all day kind of headache...honey maid does not. I'm pretty sure I checked both labels and they were identical, except the Nabisco grahams have sulfites/sulfates/whatever. So, for me personally, it's wise for me to follow the "limit processed foods" argument, because that limits the amount of ingredients that could make me feel sick.