Author Topic: Question about running.  (Read 980 times)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
Question about running.
« on: February 19, 2014, 10:57:46 AM »
I am doing two six mile obstacle course runs this summer.
The obstacles themselves are not that difficult so my question is about running.
How would a runner prepare for it? like how many a times a week would you run?, distance?, do you set a time?
I don't care about winning. I just want to beat my friends and run a respectable time.

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
Re: Question about running.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 11:02:03 AM »
Last time I did a long run I train against a clock, start with run for 1/2 hr bump to 45 minutes all the way up to run 2 hrs. 6 miles course figure an hour.
 I would run 3 times a week, 2 short runs 1 long.

I`m a fat old bastard so my goal was always not to die, managed a 1/2 marathon trail run in 2:07.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 11:04:27 AM »

Best of luck with the run!

"1"

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 11:06:05 AM »
Depends on how fit you are to start with.  Will need to start very easy and build up if you aren't already running on a regular basis.

Do you have a target pace in mind?

In general you want to get in one "long" run a week that is much longer than your race distance and much slower than your target pace, and one "speed" workout, usually intervals at a pace much faster than your race pace.  Fill in the rest of the week with runs of easy to moderate intensity to make up the mileage you want to get.  Each week make the long run a little longer and the pace on the speed intervals a little faster.

Running is weird in that you can get fast by training slow, if that makes any sense.  Google "VO2 max" and "lactate threshold" for better descriptions than I'll probably be able to give.

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 11:15:25 AM »

BAST

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Ask Ronald to let me back in please. i am banned.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 11:17:41 AM »
you just progressively work up to it like you would with lifting weights.  

start out by slowly walking the 6 miles or more.   then progressively speed up each bout.   maybe do it every other day (depends on your current conditioning).  and in some of the off days just do low impact cardio like elliptical or swimming so that your legs can heal, and you can keep your endurance increasing.  

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 11:42:39 AM »
Depends on how fit you are to start with.  Will need to start very easy and build up if you aren't already running on a regular basis.

In general you want to get in one "long" run a week that is much longer than your race distance and much slower than your target pace, and one "speed" workout, usually intervals at a pace much faster than your race pace.  Fill in the rest of the week with runs of easy to moderate intensity to make up the mileage you want to get.  Each week make the long run a little longer and the pace on the speed intervals a little faster.

Running is weird in that you can get fast by training slow, if that makes any sense.  Google "VO2 max" and "lactate threshold" for better descriptions than I'll probably be able to give.

Thanks for the replies...I've done a few three mile runs before....The last one was a disaster because I drank two nights in a row beforehand :o ::) ;D
For me the most difficult is the stopping and starting...sometimes you have to wait in line to do a obstacle or even when there is no line you slow down to do the obstacle then you start running again...that kills me!

right now with the weather being so shitty in the Northeast{USA} all my cardio is being done inside on either an elliptical or treadmill 3-4 miles, 3-4 times a week.
I have until June before the first one

...my bff Grape Ape might do the second one with me :)

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 11:50:06 AM »
Do hill work as well. That will really strengthen the legs.
P

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 11:57:19 AM »
I run everyday except for Tuesday and Friday due to those being heavy leg days

Usually right after my morning cardio circuits

Bench

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 11:57:25 AM »

He gave good advice. I was a sprinter in high school and college. Your intervals should be something like 10 x 400 meters or 6 x 800 meters. In between 10 x 400 either walk fast for 200 meters or jog slowly for 200 meters. For the 800 meter repeats walk fast for a 400 meters or start walking and break into a jog slowly for 400 meters. I prefer a track. Some quality treadmills can be used for intervals.

Another successful approach to intervals are fartlek. It means speed play. You go out running slow for about a mile or two. Then just pick an arbitrary land mark like a telephone pole 400 or 800 meters away. Red line to that mark then relax and jog slowly till you find another arbitrary land mark. You really go by feel doing this. You judge when to red line it and how long to rest in a slow jog all by feel. It doesn't matter if the finish is actually 100 yards or a half mile. Mix it up and of course it's not exact. It's a great way to get your speed day in.

To run a long race like a 6 miler you really have to rack up the miles. One of the pit falls to watch out for is constantly running long and slow. I have seen it to many times. If you train slow you will run slow. The spring just goes completely out of your legs if you constantly condition yourself to run slowly. Your one day long a week could be something like a ten to 12 miler. Do not do more than one long and slow day week.

A recreational runner could do something like Monday 5 miles; Tuesday 3 miles; Wednesday 7 miles; Thursday 6 x 800; Friday 2 mile; Saturday 10 slow miles; Sunday rest. Don't stick to a rigid schedule like you have to stick to a script. I'm guilty of that with lifting. Just like lifting you will have bad days and you should be able to adjust on the fly. If you planned the day before to run 5 miles but you are not feeling it; then go for 2 mile run and call it a day.  

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 12:11:09 PM »

Definitely plan on this because the run will not just be flat.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 12:18:51 PM »

Yup - hill work and sprints is all he needs.  When I trained TM, I ran more than 5k one time.
Y

Ace

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 12:27:21 PM »
run 3 times a week and make on of those runs a 6 miler

the other two can be shorter but be sure to make one of them "harder" for about 20 minutes or so (it's called a tempo run)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 12:29:09 PM »
Just run to the liquor store and back that should do it.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 12:29:30 PM »

...my bff Grape Ape might do the second one with me :)

I'm thinking a round of golf, batting cages, race, bourbon and beer.....not necessarily in that order.
Y

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 12:30:18 PM »
Buy good running shoes from Nike or Asics. Good running shoes will really help lessen the wear and tear on your hips, lower back, and knees.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 12:32:21 PM »
The obstacles themselves are not that difficult so my question is about running.
How would a runner prepare for it? like how many a times a week would you run?, distance?, do you set a time?
I don't care about winning. I just want to beat my friends and run a respectable time.
if you weigh over 200 lbs don't run.
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 12:35:30 PM »
Practice running holding a tv set.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 12:38:54 PM »
Your not going to be running 6 miles in a 6 mile obstacle course race.

Most likely 4 miles tops, because of all of the obstacles.

I would focus on interval training. Your going to have to get used to having your heart rate going up and down. From the steady pace jog/run of the race to the obstacles.

I would maybe do one long run a week and the other days you train focus on intervals and power/explosiveness.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 12:42:55 PM »
I'm thinking a round of golf, batting cages, race, bourbon and beer.....not necessarily in that order.

Now that's a day ;D

if you weigh over 200 lbs don't run.

It's gonna be close!