Author Topic: Stop using steroids they damage kidneys  (Read 2839 times)

sagittal chest

• Getbig III
  • I hate the French
Stop using steroids they damage kidneys
« on: February 19, 2014, 11:11:49 AM »
Reports of professional athletes who abuse anabolic steroids are increasingly common. Most people know that using steroids is not good for your health, but until now, their effects on the kidneys have not been known. Leal Herlitz, MD (Columbia University Medical Center) and her colleagues recently conducted the first study describing injury to the kidneys following long-term abuse of anabolic steroids. The investigators studied a group of 10 bodybuilders who used steroids for many years and developed protein leakage into the urine and severe reductions in kidney function. Kidney tests revealed that nine of the ten bodybuilders developed a condition called focal segmental glomerulosclerosis, a type of scarring within the kidneys. This disease typically
occurs when the kidneys are overworked. The kidney damage in the bodybuilders has similarities to that seen in morbidly obese patients, but appears to be even more severe.

When the bodybuilders discontinued steroid use their kidney abnormalities improved, with the exception of one individual with advanced kidney disease who developed end-stage kidney failure and required dialysis. Also, one of the bodybuilders started taking steroids again and suffered a relapse of severe kidney dysfunction.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091029141202.htm

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Re: Stop using steroids they damage kidneys
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 11:17:17 AM »
Yeah, true. Daz Ball. Tom Prince. Ken Wheeler. Mustafa Muhammad. Nasser el Sonbaty. All kidney-related retirements.

But that's the price of the game of juicing all year. That shit is toxic. Besides, most guys don't get sick from kidney issues. It's usually high liver enzymes or cardiac problems.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 11:27:20 AM »
FSGS is caused usually by high blood pressure and beetus related issues.

I'm sure the impurities in most Chinese powders don't help either.

Keeping BP under control, not permabulking and not eating a ton of sugars with your hgh and slin probably would minimize the risk.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 11:38:00 AM »
And lets not forget the mega dose protein consumption. High protein can coat the outer wall of the kidneys like coating a screen door. Nothing can pass thru. Years ago my Doc told me to drink xtra water to compensate for the high protein, keep BP in line (that was a pill for me) and take a good mineral complex to counter the high water intake. A freakin balancing act. That with donating blood and a baby asprin and you are made in the shade…baring genetic predisposition. I have buried 3 friends who had heart attacks or strokes while on dialysis. None were bodybuilders...

sagittal chest

• Getbig III
  • I hate the French
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 11:40:29 AM »
Lol a lot of people here in denial of your inevitable health problems.

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
  • That'll do pig, that'll do
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 11:42:50 AM »
Living off food stamps stuffing your face full of KFC, Mc D, BK, Dominoes all day everyday like a majority of the genetically inferior Americans do will probably kill them off faster than the hardest roiding bber. Even Münzer "Mr Diuretic" lived to his 30s.

Fat American slobs should be happy if the retain their weight below 600lbs before they turn 21.  >:(

sagittal chest

• Getbig III
  • I hate the French
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 11:49:32 AM »
If you read the article (most Bodybuilders lack reading comprehension), it explains that the kidney damage is probably caused by the added muscle mass putting strain on the kidneys greater than that of a morbidly obese person - not any of the other reasons mentioned in this thread. It is due to the muscles.

sagittal chest

• Getbig III
  • I hate the French
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 11:51:54 AM »
Living off food stamps stuffing your face full of KFC, Mc D, BK, Dominoes all day everyday like a majority of the genetically inferior Americans do will probably kill them off faster than the hardest roiding bber. Even Münzer "Mr Diuretic" lived to his 30s.

Fat American slobs should be happy if the retain their weight below 600lbs before they turn 21.  >:(

Injecting yourself full of artificial hormones, to create and artificial physique isn't anything close to genetic superiority. Don't delude yourself. You're as healthy as a morbidly obese person inside, and your kidneys are going to fail if you keep it up.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 11:53:03 AM »
the steroids are not directly taxing the kidneys but the high BP is a HUGE cause, so is Insulin use

sagittal chest

• Getbig III
  • I hate the French
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 11:54:32 AM »
Yeah, true. Daz Ball. Tom Prince. Ken Wheeler. Mustafa Muhammad. Nasser el Sonbaty. All kidney-related retirements.

But that's the price of the game of juicing all year. That shit is toxic. Besides, most guys don't get sick from kidney issues. It's usually high liver enzymes or cardiac problems.

+ derek Anthony + galeniko

"Kidney tests revealed that nine of the ten bodybuilders developed a condition called focal segmental glomerulosclerosis, a type of scarring within the kidneys."

9 of 10 developed kidney scarring! :o

Holy shit! No free rides in nature

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 11:56:22 AM »
Injecting yourself full of artificial hormones, to create and artificial physique isn't anything close to genetic superiority. Don't delude yourself. You're as healthy as a morbidly obese person inside, and your kidneys are going to fail if you keep it up.

Plot twist: I've never used gear and never will.  8)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 11:58:03 AM »
Lol a lot of people here in denial of your inevitable health problems.

i never used, i guess i'll live forever and without health problems

E
E

sagittal chest

• Getbig III
  • I hate the French
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 12:01:02 PM »
Humans are not meant to be more muscular than what is functional and possible naturally. Beyond that the health problems keep increasing, as the weight increases - whether it is muscle or fat. The stress on the heart and kidneys is great.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 12:02:40 PM »
Humans are not meant to be more muscular than what is functional and possible naturally. Beyond that the health problems keep increasing, as the weight increases - whether it is muscle or fat. The stress on the heart and kidneys is great.

you really want bodybuilding to go away?

what would you be talking about right now if it did?

E
E

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 12:03:01 PM »
+ derek Anthony + galeniko

"Kidney tests revealed that nine of the ten bodybuilders developed a condition called focal segmental glomerulosclerosis, a type of scarring within the kidneys."

9 of 10 developed kidney scarring! :o

Holy shit! No free rides in nature
LOL damn gal too
thought he only had a busted shoulder

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 12:04:52 PM »

A roided monkey won't hurt anyone else, an obese lardturd will break and destroy their family. I see documentaries about the American mountains of flesh and blobber who have grown so large they cannot even leave their beds. Is that better or comparative?  ???

A roided delusional monkey will probably die or get his liver crashed, but his healthbill will be a fraction of that of a morbidly obese person.

Regardless, both types of people will die. Darwinism at work.  8)

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 12:04:55 PM »
 ive been doing roids since 82-83 n have perfectly healthy n strong kidneys, then again i never abused roids n up until i started TRT about 6 months ago i would only do one 12-16 week cycle a year, n used very reasonable dosages. im not saying roids r safe im just saying if used WISELY a persons kidneys should hold up fine,providing hes not predisposed to kidney issues
R

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 12:06:48 PM »
I think diuretic use is more damaging to the kidneys than steroid use.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 12:17:04 PM »
Bodybuilding drugs are a risk to health.  How many smokers say I have been smoking for 20 years and I'm completely fine? I heard a heroin addict say he used for 6 years and now he kicked the habit and he runs marathons. None of this contradicts that steroid use and other drugs are a risk to health.

Bodybuilding is an odd subculture of a sport that attracts insecure young men that want to be respected as a man. They are willing to take that risk to health to get compliments from men and women about their manly body. What eats at them is the knowledge that they look like crap without the drug assist.

I'm in awe what can be accomplished with hard work and yes drugs. I never forget what I'm looking at though. It's a man with a temporary drug physique that would disappear being 6 months clean.

I run, do body weight exercise and lift weights. Bodybuilding could be the healthiest activity you could do but it's filled with unhealthy guys that couldn't go out for a jog with a chubby soccer mom without gassing because in reality he is a mirror athlete. 

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 12:18:13 PM »
I think diuretic use is more damaging to the kidneys than steroid use.

AGREED
R

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 12:19:51 PM »
Bodybuilding drugs are a risk to health.  How many smokers say I have been smoking for 20 years and I'm completely fine? I heard a heroin addict say he used for 6 years and now he kicked the habit and he runs marathons. None of this contradicts that steroid use and other drugs are a risk to health.

Bodybuilding is an odd subculture of a sport that attracts insecure young men that want to be respected as a man. They are willing to take that risk to health to get compliments from men and women about their manly body. What eats at them is the knowledge that they look like crap without the drug assist.

I'm in awe what can be accomplished with hard work and yes drugs. I never forget what I'm looking at though. It's a man with a temporary drug physique that would disappear being 6 months clean.

I run, do body weight exercise and lift weights. Bodybuilding could be the healthiest activity you could do but it's filled with unhealthy guys that couldn't go out for a jog with a chubby soccer mom without gassing because in reality he is a mirror athlete. 

REALLY GOOD POST
R

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 12:23:00 PM »
When a lot of guys start gaining weight due to steroid use and their blood pressure goes high. Couple this with spikes of blood pressure when lifting it makes a reasonable man come to the conclusion this could be a contributor to kidney problems.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 12:24:34 PM »
FSGS is caused usually by high blood pressure and beetus related issues.

I'm sure the impurities in most Chinese powders don't help either.

Keeping BP under control, not permabulking and not eating a ton of sugars with your hgh and slin probably would minimize the risk.

Outlandish, reckless, extreme advice.

Mods, ban this poster.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 12:28:47 PM »
alot of people forget that alot of bodybuilders r pain killer abusers(VICODEN) (PERCS), ITS THE ACETAMINOPHEN THATS IN THE PAIN KILLERS THAT WRECKS KIDNEYS IMO, THAT STUFF IS POISEN
R

sagittal chest

• Getbig III
  • I hate the French
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 12:32:48 PM »
"The researchers propose that extreme increases in muscle mass require the kidneys to increase their filtration rate, placing harmful levels of stress on these organs. It's also likely that steroids have direct toxic effects on the kidneys. "Athletes who use anabolic steroids and the doctors caring for them need to be aware of the potentially serious risks to the kidney," said Dr. Herlitz.
This study was conducted in the laboratory of Dr. Vivette D'Agati, MD at Columbia Univeristy Medical Center. Study co-authors include Glen Markowitz, MD, Joshua Schwimmer, MD, Michael Stokes, MD, Cheryl Kunis, MD, Vivette D'Agati, MD, (Columbia University Medical Center); Alton Farris, MD, and Robert Colvin, MD (Massachusetts General Hospital)."