Author Topic: Food for thoughts (Investing in Stocks)  (Read 4282 times)

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
Re: Food for thoughts (Investing in Stocks)
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 07:15:23 AM »
I spend weeks on end doing my research on firms and industries, checking their financials, who's the new CEO, his background, the future of the industry, what happened to it in the past why and how and the full outlook on so many levels, then I cherry pick my stocks and shares and the odd fund.

Then comes a Getbigger and says there's an appocalypse pending like the 1929 and gold is the only commodity you should buy....calling me naive and stupid all the while in the last 3 years alone my own portfolio is performing just like predicted.

This is what "contrarian investors" do....as opposed to the common sheep herded investor, spewing articles from the internet then thinking he's got the financial markets of the world figured out.
S

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 07:16:57 AM »
I spend weeks on end doing my research on firms and industries, chekcing their financials, who's the new CEO, his background, the future of the industry, what happened to it in the past why and how and the full outlook on so many levels, then I cherry pick my stocks and shares and the odd fund.

Then comes a Gtebigger and says there's an appocalypse pending like the 1929 and gold is the only commodoty you should buy....calling naive and stupid all the while in the last 3 years alone my own portfolio is performing just like predicted.

This is what "contrarian investors" do....as opposed to the common sheep herded investor, spewing articles from the internet then thinking he's got the financial markets of the world figured out.

what tools do you use for your research?

just mulling through news? looking at charts? etc?

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 07:17:38 AM »
People who invest in gold are idiots.  When you see if being worn by porch monkeys how can you call it a sound investment?

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 07:18:59 AM »
The best quote ever was this Canadian Million Penny Stock investor.  When asked what his secret was he said " I always sold too early".  Sticking long term with a stock is for fools.

Dude, penny stocks and FSTE100 type of stocks are like trying to compare a fish to a toad. I would never invest in penny stocks, hightest risk ever one day one share can jump 300% in ONE DAY the next it can crach by 400%. My own flesh and blood brother is an analyst in a small cap invetsment firm. Its not for everyone.

Now to say to me that I am a fool for holding long term when you have no idea what type of stock I hold is is ignorant and ill thought out conclusion.
S

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 07:19:58 AM »
You must be very young and naïve.

Buffett started buying stocks at precisely the correct moment in history.  Buying all the insurance companies was smart thing at the time.  Now he only "invests" in companies that have a government backing and banks that pay him a 5-10% coupon.  The man is an insider, despite his Coke drinking and ukulele playing grandpa image.  A very shrewd and greedy man

The stock market is a huge bubble right now all pumped up by the Fed reserve.  When this thing pops, it's gonna make the 1929 crash look like a picnic.

Every asset class has it's cycle... right now stocks and RE are NOT the place to be.

Buy gold and silver instead.
Yes, he is a front not a genius.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 07:22:31 AM »
Yes, he is a front not a genius.

Well Sev, the way to riches is to invest in something yielding you 50% ROI.  Simple as that

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 07:30:01 AM »
You will truly never make money in the stock market unless you know some inside information.  Otherwise you can do all the reasearch you want and still end up holding the bag.  You can get lucky and buy in during a boom like the .com era but otherwise you need to be in on it and get in early to really make money.  People make me laugh when they say shit like, "I bought Apple at $500 and sold it at $700"  I made 40%.  Big fucking deal.  The ones who trule made money bought Apple at $17 when no one gave a shit about Apple and sold at $500.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2014, 07:32:32 AM »
The best quote ever was this Canadian Million Penny Stock investor.  When asked what his secret was he said " I always sold too early".  Sticking long term with a stock is for fools.  The ones that make real money cash out as soon as they see some green and keep moving their money around.  Before you know it you are playing with house money with not much to lose.

This seems to be the best advice I read when I check out these threads.

I still say putting a little money away for the long term in a decent index fund is a good idea though.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2014, 07:33:21 AM »
what tools do you use for your research?

just mulling through news? looking at charts? etc?

I work in the indusrty, hence I have Bloomberg with full access. I have direct contact to analysts, some are very good friends of mine, who cover specific firms in different industries working in invetsment firms in the City (London), then of course the usual news..etc. Sometimes the most simple things can make you money. To give you an example I got an order accepted for Royal Mail (UK) when it first listed for an IPO...I knew from the financials and everything I had that the company was grossly under valued. I placed a limit sell order order on it if it hit 25% and it did just that much quicker than anything I ever had. Now that stock has almost doubled anyway, if you don't believe me check Rotal Mail on London Stock exchange, ticker RMG, from 330p to 600, October to now. I am no longer a holder there, but just giving you an example.
S

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2014, 07:34:23 AM »
Unrealistic my brother unless you have a lots of money to invest or are insider dealing like Rajaratnam  or gonna hold long ass views.

Trouble is in the long term we'd all be dead! (can't remember who said that!)

Stocks is waste of time in my opinion in today's climate.

Now day trading futures and S&P 500 Mini, suddenly my cock gets hard and you got my attention, different beast, major bucks to be made and lost overnight.

But you ain't gonna get rich betting like a bitch!  ;)

Investing $5000 in 1966 with an unknown is a total crapshoot that no one could have predicted.  $5K in 1966 was a shit load of money.

Just some stats about $5K in 1966

Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average 785 Average Cost of new house $14,200.00 Average Income per year $6,900.00 Gas per Gallon 32 cents Average Cost of a new car $2,650.00 Dishwasher$119.95 Parker Pen Set $11.95

So essientially $5K could have bought you two cars.  How many people had $5k to invest in 1966?

Why not go back to 1966 and pick a bunch of other stocks that would have yielded people broke by 1968?  You can always go back in time and cherry pick stats to prove a point but it doesn't make it the norm.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2014, 07:35:45 AM »
People make me laugh when they say shit like, "I bought Apple at $500 and sold it at $700"  I made 40%.  Big fucking deal.  The ones who trule made money bought Apple at $17 when no one gave a shit about Apple and sold at $500.

And the ones who made fuck all and still drive a shit bag on wheels and lose sleep over bills getting paid are bitching about those making 40%...just like above  ;D
S

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 07:39:20 AM »
Well, I started this post to stir some arguments and it has, some interesting views but all seem like blanket appraoches rather than balanced arguments. But hey, I am not here to change the way people think as we all know all getbiggers are nothing but rich stud muffins who have expetise in every field from financial markets to Europe's black kingdoms.
S

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2014, 07:42:46 AM »
Not only is he swole, but he bangs silicone barbies, vacations in luxury and undoubtedly has a flesh rocket to match his intellect.

FRONT RUNNER FOR GETBIGGER OF THE MONTH

Just trying to achieve the dream man...not quite there yet, but making my way slowly.
S

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2014, 08:07:22 AM »
Well, I started this post to stir some arguments and it has, some interesting views but all seem like blanket appraoches rather than balanced arguments. But hey, I am not here to change the way people think as we all know all getbiggers are nothing but rich stud muffins who have expetise in every field from financial markets to Europe's black kingdoms.

Just look at my post up a bit about what $5k was worth in 1966.  You tried to act like $5K was nothing to invest but back then it was about a year's salary.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2014, 08:09:37 AM »

Just look at my post up a bit about what $5k was worth in 1966.  You tried to act like $5K was nothing to invest but back then it was about a year's salary.

I never acted like the $5k was nothing, I have a degree in economics and worked in financial markets straight from uni to now. Don't come here trying to teach me about value of money and inflation and accuse me of acting like 5k was nothing when I never did that.
S

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2014, 08:14:40 AM »
What uni you go bro?

I don't disclose such info to stalkers...I don't need any bodywash  >:(

Manchester Met and did some further study at the London Business School
S

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2014, 08:33:45 AM »
I don't disclose such info to stalkers...I don't need any bodywash  >:(

Manchester Met and did some further study at the London Business School

are you on linked in

seems im the only get bigger who is
T

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2014, 08:34:55 AM »

The Bodywash story wasn't true by the way.

I knew it. That little sh*t was trolling us all this time.
S

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2014, 08:37:42 AM »
are you on linked in

seems im the only get bigger who is

I used to be, then over the last few years I kept getting spammed by recruiters, they get the name of your employer then call it and ask to speak to you...etc. Very annoying.
S

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2014, 08:42:24 AM »
I used to be, then over the last few years I kept getting spammed by recruiters, they get the name of your employer then call it and ask to speak to you...etc. Very annoying.

yeah its got that way

also you get plagued by chinese and indian business men

messaging you in pigeon english

just seems strange that most serious business men are on there

apart from all the multi millionaires on get big
T

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2014, 09:40:43 AM »
yeah its got that way

also you get plagued by chinese and indian business men

messaging you in pigeon english

just seems strange that most serious business men are on there

apart from all the multi millionaires on get big

Business men already have their names publicly avaiable due to links/ownerships of businesses, if you're a director or a CFO...etc you're plastered all over annual reports and companies house docs..etc so these guys are ALWAYS spammed by all sorts, they all have PA's so a few recruiters on linkedin is no big deal, people like me on the tradign desk with no PA, a shit bag calls for me I am interrupted immediately, seeing as I am always on alert for calls coming in for orders/cancellations, clients...etc.
S

pissant

• Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2014, 11:08:04 AM »
Skorp1o as a value investor myself you are a disgrace by the way you frame yourself. You make it sound so trite and easy. You sell false hopes and dreams not only to your self but others. Its disgusting to see someone minimize the amount of work, blood  and sweat it takes to find a good investment and to stick with it. Warren Buffett didn't wake up one day invest in a business an get rich...the man spent  almost every waking hour of his day analyzing, reading, and learning. You do that in any legit field and you will be a success.  Truly disgusts me when people make equity investing seem like some kinda video game where you press a button and become rich...those stories happen but they are few and far between.

Heres a great quote by Munger( you do know who munger is since you are so knowledge, right?):

"It's(investing) not supposed to be easy. Anyone who finds it easy is stupid."

I think hes referring to you!

EDIT: ps i love your example of investing in a fund that makes 50% per year lol. You are so foolish  ;D In a way I love people like you. Makes the game easier.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2014, 11:31:29 AM »
Skorp1o as a value investor myself you are a disgrace by the way you frame yourself. You make it sound so trite and easy. You sell false hopes and dreams not only to your self but others. Its disgusting to see someone minimize the amount of work, blood  and sweat it takes to find a good investment and to stick with it. Warren Buffett didn't wake up one day invest in a business an get rich...the man spent  almost every waking hour of his day manipulating, lying and stepping on throats. You do that in any legit field and you will be a success.  Truly disgusts me when people make equity investing seem like some kinda video game where you press a button and become rich...those stories happen but they are few and far between.

Heres a great quote by Munger( you do know who munger is since you are so knowledge, right?):

EDIT: ps i love your example of investing in a fund that makes 50% per year lol. You are so foolish  ;D In a way I love people like you. Makes the game easier.

fixed

pissant

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2014, 11:40:55 AM »
fixed

warren buffett today isnt warren buffett of yester-year. In his early days he ran what is now a modern day hedge fun before he created Berkshire empire.Public  equity investment is a small portion of Berkshire now adays and the equities they do invest in tend to be monopoly, duopoly and government back entities.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2014, 11:55:58 AM »
Skorp1o as a value investor myself you are a disgrace by the way you frame yourself. You make it sound so trite and easy. You sell false hopes and dreams not only to your self but others. Its disgusting to see someone minimize the amount of work, blood  and sweat it takes to find a good investment and to stick with it. Warren Buffett didn't wake up one day invest in a business an get rich...the man spent  almost every waking hour of his day analyzing, reading, and learning. You do that in any legit field and you will be a success.  Truly disgusts me when people make equity investing seem like some kinda video game where you press a button and become rich...those stories happen but they are few and far between.

so its safe to assume that you are a power figure and among the elite of the elite in the financial world, due to this game being easy.

"pissant" - notice how your name wasnt modified in any way, you took out all the hard work for me, making the game easier, so to speak