Author Topic: Food for thoughts (Investing in Stocks)  (Read 4279 times)

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
Food for thoughts (Investing in Stocks)
« on: February 20, 2014, 04:20:41 AM »
If you'd invested $5000 with Warren Buffett in 1966, you would be $150m rich today. High % yearly returns+ dividends + year in year out compounded interest...the latter being a powerful tool in long term investments.

Last year Axa Framlington Biotech, a UK Fund gained 61%.

Let's say hypothetically you invest £10,000 UK Pounds today, you are 35 years old and this funds deilvers a yearly return of 50% year in and year out, you would have a cool £15.5 Million (gross return) to retire on at the ripe age of 50 years old, this is without adding a single penny to that initial £10,000. If you achieve year in year out 32% return, you would hit a million pound cash in your early retirement (50) without adding a penny to the pot.
S

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
Re: Food for thoughts (Investing in Stocks)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 04:45:45 AM »
If you'd invested $5000 with Warren Buffett in 1966, you would be $150m rich today. High % yearly returns+ dividends + year in year out compounded interest...the latter being a powerful tool in long term investments.

Let's say hypothetically you invest £10,000 UK Pounds today, you are 35 years old and this funds deilvers a yearly return of 50% year in and year out, you would have a cool £15.5 Million (gross return) to retire on at the ripe age of 50 years old, this is without adding a single penny to that initial £10,000. If you achieve year in year out 32% return, you would hit a million pound cash in your early retirement (50) without adding a penny to the pot.

Good luck with that.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 04:57:28 AM »
You must be very young and naïve.

Buffett started buying stocks at precisely the correct moment in history.  Buying all the insurance companies was smart thing at the time.  Now he only "invests" in companies that have a government backing and banks that pay him a 5-10% coupon.  The man is an insider, despite his Coke drinking and ukulele playing grandpa image.  A very shrewd and greedy man

The stock market is a huge bubble right now all pumped up by the Fed reserve.  When this thing pops, it's gonna make the 1929 crash look like a picnic.

Every asset class has it's cycle... right now stocks and RE are NOT the place to be.

Buy gold and silver instead.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 05:15:17 AM »

Buffett started buying stocks at precisely the correct moment in history.  Buying all the insurance companies was smart thing at the time.  Now he only "invests" in companies that have a government backing and banks that pay him a 5-10% coupon.  The man is an insider, despite his Coke drinking and ukulele playing grandpa image.  A very shrewd and greedy man

The stock market is a huge bubble right now all pumped up by the Fed reserve.  When this thing pops, it's gonna make the 1929 crash look like a picnic.

Every asset class has it's cycle... right now stocks and RE are NOT the place to be.

No, I am far from naive. I know full well the difference between investing in the hay days of the 60's is a different ball game to investing now. Insider dealing was rife.

I don't buy into this "equities are gone" malarki and blanket ill thought out approaches, there are many investors making high returns on Asian stocks, Emmerging Markets, Large cap, Small cap, Commodities, futures....etc you name it.

I liquidated 50% of my holding, and invested it in a Bank in the UK that was bailed out, every single person would have told me not touch a Bank with a barge pole, I was buying their shares in March to June 2012 for an average of around 30p, today they are hovering in the 81p mark, that's a 150% return. Check out Lloyds Bank, ticker (LLOY) to back up my claims.

When it comes to this game, being a contrarian does pay off and doing your research and drawing up substantiated conclusions is the way to go. Calling someone naive is naivity in itself.
S

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 05:15:25 AM »

its a lottery at best
T

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 05:16:32 AM »
I like this Skorp guy.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 05:17:12 AM »
its a lottery at best

Leave it in an ISA or idle in your account, with inflation its a fruit machine on a bad day.
S

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 05:18:32 AM »
S

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 05:21:53 AM »
No, I am not naive....I know full well the difference between investing in the hay days in the 60's is a different ball game to investing now.

I don't buy into this "equities are gone" malarki and blanket ill thought out appraoches, there are many investors making high returns on Asian stocks, Emmerging Markets, Large cap, Small cap, Commodities, futures....etc you name it.

I liquidated 50% of my holding, and inevsted it in a Bank in the UK that was bailed out, every single person would have told me not touch a Bank with a barge pole, I was buying their shares in March to June 2012 for an average of around 30p, today they are hovering in the 81p mark, that's a 150% return.

When it comes to this game, being a contrarian does pay off and doing your research and drawing up substantiated conclusions is the way to go. Calling someone naive is naivity in itself.

So you are betting on "bail-outs" then.  Hmmmm.

Everything cycles and stocks are at the top of their cycle.  

Anyway, good luck... you've been warned.

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 05:22:50 AM »
Thank you sir

You're welcome.  I've enjoyed your insights.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 05:35:41 AM »
So you are betting on "bail-outs" then.  Hmmmm.

No, not necessarily, this is the only one. I bought into to Ocado after they took on the new Marks&Spencer guy, I was in at 80's and sold in the 300p's....I diversify industries and my finger is on the trigger at all times to cash in on my holding, Medium to long term holder.

I am not discounting your concerns, I was working at a  big bank in 2009 as a contractor and a senior manager there was telling me that his personal employee shares in the Bank went from around 400p a share to 75p. He was Banking on his share holding to retire on and now there is zero chance of that Bank recovering to a mere 50% of its former shape anytime in the next 5 years atleast.
S

forillagorilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 05:40:18 AM »

THIS is a great example of why you should get your financial advice from a meathead (or worse a wannabe meathead) - I mean 50% is where it's at!!! Most fools don't know where the "good funds" are and are getting pittance returns... Ole Skurp here has the shiznit and makes his millions pulling five-O Returns!!!!

the trainer

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 06:11:43 AM »

You are stupid and you will lose your money, you want to secure your money buy land that is the only thing they dont make anymore.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 06:17:13 AM »
Leave it in an ISA or idle in your account, with inflation its a fruit machine on a bad day.

my take is as a long term punt in the uk property is king

and I empathise the long term game

also stuff like vintage watches

stuff that you can see

the problems with stocks etc is that its all virtual and the system can be manipulated

unless you are in the position to manipulate the system

and that is some top tier inner circle shit then a lottery it will remain

good work on the bank shares though that was clever

props  8)
T

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 06:26:47 AM »

Buffett started buying stocks at precisely the correct moment in history.  Buying all the insurance companies was smart thing at the time.  Now he only "invests" in companies that have a government backing and banks that pay him a 5-10% coupon.  The man is an insider, despite his Coke drinking and ukulele playing grandpa image.  A very shrewd and greedy man

The stock market is a huge bubble right now all pumped up by the Fed reserve.  When this thing pops, it's gonna make the 1929 crash look like a picnic.

X1000 minus the gold and silver part.  Buffet was heavily invested in Goldman, Wells Fargo and BofA plus many other banks and insurance companies.  Right before the housing boom he "miraculously" bought a realty giant in Prudential Realty and sure enough he made serious bank from it.  You think he didn't know about the housing manipulation that was about to happen?  It was a big orchestrated scam.  The mutherfucker is a scum piece of shit.  Fucker should be hanged from his balls for fucking over so many people.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 06:39:38 AM »
X1000 minus the gold and silver part.  Buffet was heavily invested in Goldman, Wells Fargo and BofA plus many other banks and insurance companies.  Right before the housing boom he "miraculously" bought a realty giant in Prudential Realty and sure enough he made serious bank from it.  You think he didn't know about the housing manipulation that was about to happen?  It was a big orchestrated scam.  The mutherfucker is a scum piece of shit.  Fucker should be hanged from his balls for fucking over so many people.

Regarding gold and silver...

FYI, I started buying PMs in the mid/late 90's and I've done VERY well.  Everything has it's cycle and precious metals are still in play.  95% of the public is still clueless.  Once the panic buying starts (i.e. 1979/80), that is when you want to sell into it (providing the entire financial system does not implode). If the system does implode, ammo and cans of beans will be worth far more than gold or silver.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 06:45:46 AM »

These are funny, because they assume the investor would never have cashed in when they merely double, tripled or quadrupled their money........
Y

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 06:50:20 AM »
These are funny, because they assume the investor would never have cashed in when they merely double, tripled or quadrupled their money........

The stats on this are skewed.  You would have had to buy his Class A shares which aren't easily attainable.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 06:52:25 AM »

And that is the sales pitch/stock broker platitudes they still give you... "Stay invested for the long term" -lol.   It's a totally different situation/world today.   Inflation (i.e. dollar debasement) and taxes eat you alive.

Today's stock market is a complete façade.  Insider criminals and algorithmic trading computers run the whole show.  There is no "free market" anymore.  The coming crash will be like nothing we've ever seen.

forillagorilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 06:55:49 AM »
And that is the sales pitch/stock broker platitudes they still give you... "Stay invested for the long term" -lol.   It's a totally different situation/world today.   Inflation (i.e. dollar debasement) and taxes eat you alive.

Today's stock market is a complete façade.  Insider criminals and algorithmic trading computers run the whole show.  There is no "free market" anymore.  The coming crash will be like nothing we've ever seen.

Now THIS is a good point..

forillagorilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 06:58:07 AM »
It's so simple guys - invest for the long run - get 50% annual return for 30 years straight - BOOM! You are set!

Wow

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 06:58:32 AM »
No, I am far from naive. I know full well the difference between investing in the hay days of the 60's is a different ball game to investing now. Insider dealing was rife.

I don't buy into this "equities are gone" malarki and blanket ill thought out approaches, there are many investors making high returns on Asian stocks, Emmerging Markets, Large cap, Small cap, Commodities, futures....etc you name it.

I liquidated 50% of my holding, and invested it in a Bank in the UK that was bailed out, every single person would have told me not touch a Bank with a barge pole, I was buying their shares in March to June 2012 for an average of around 30p, today they are hovering in the 81p mark, that's a 150% return. Check out Lloyds Bank, ticker (LLOY) to back up my claims.

Not only is he swole, but he bangs silicone barbies, vacations in luxury and undoubtedly has a flesh rocket to match his intellect.

FRONT RUNNER FOR GETBIGGER OF THE MONTH

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 06:59:20 AM »
It's so simple guys - invest for the long run - get 50% annual return for 30 years straight - BOOM! You are set!

Wow

it probably is that easy.

lol.

you should write a book.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 07:10:45 AM »
The best quote ever was this Canadian Million Penny Stock investor.  When asked what his secret was he said " I always sold too early".  Sticking long term with a stock is for fools.  The ones that make real money cash out as soon as they see some green and keep moving their money around.  Before you know it you are playing with house money with not much to lose.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 07:12:22 AM »
It always makes me laugh when you look at the past to judge how well you would have done.  hindisght gets you every time.

By the time the mainstream media reports on a "hot stock" it's too late, all of the money makers have made their money and left.