Author Topic: Dumb Starbucks  (Read 6256 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Dumb Starbucks
« on: February 20, 2014, 08:57:07 AM »
 ???

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Re: Dumb Starbucks
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 09:11:19 AM »
Starbucks. A multinational with profit margins in the high millions (i.e. grosses billions) which sees fit to pay store associates $10.15/hour to stand 8 hours a day and serve the public, balance the till, clean the shop, and do inventory before and after every shift. And which won't allow a visible tattoo or a beard on its employees, right up to the district managers.

Garbage. Up there with McDonald's on the shmoe scale of corporate banditry.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 09:24:26 AM »
???

will not last long. They are doing a "parody", but they are producing a product...
Think of all the companies that have been sued or shut down for using the likeness of or name of a product. Even Ferrari had to rename it's F1 car one year because Ford had a problem with them calling it the F150.
And even Ford Lincoln had a problem with the Lincoln LS, because Lexus had a car model with the LS in it.

And so what if these people have a bad product? Then people will associate it with Starbucks...

Even though this is under parody, this is no different that what the Chinese do.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 09:28:38 AM »
They're already gone thanks to the Health Department.

p0w3rn3xs

• Getbig I
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 01:22:16 PM »
Starbucks. A multinational with profit margins in the high millions (i.e. grosses billions) which sees fit to pay store associates $10.15/hour to stand 8 hours a day and serve the public, balance the till, clean the shop, and do inventory before and after every shift. And which won't allow a visible tattoo or a beard on its employees, right up to the district managers.

OK, so what would you suggest anyone with a junior high skill set should be paid???

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 01:44:29 PM »

???

Fuck those tattoo wearing assholes and fuck the beards.  Don't want hair in my coffee.

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 01:49:22 PM »
OK, so what would you suggest anyone with a junior high skill set should be paid???
You get what you put in. If a company wants 5 star workers, it should pay them for it.

I would suggest $13 for entry level positions.
$16 for shift supervisors.
$20 for assistant managers.
and a salary of 42-50k for managers based on experience.

It's not much to ask given the amount of profits they make.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 03:25:17 PM »
You get what you put in. If a company wants 5 star workers, it should pay them for it.

oh brother...so you have no idea what this company's costs are to finance growth, pay supply chains for foreign investments, transportation of product, labor costs, Federal compliancy costs, healthcare costs, 401k matching costs, stock dividend payouts, marketing and forecasting....but you can guess what they should pay for each staffing level because "they make so much profit"
 ::)

Simple Simon

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 03:26:29 PM »

A Latte sir, thats $15 Thank you.

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 04:05:02 PM »

Why would they pay more than they have to for unskilled labor?

First of all, if they aren't having trouble hiring, then obviously, people are willing to take those jobs and consider an acceptable wage. They always have a choice to not work at Starbucks.

Secondly, if they choose not to work at Starbucks, they have the choice to earn an education and a skillset that allows them to command a higher wage. It's an economic theory; the theory of comparative advantage. If you don't have a comparative advantage at a particular task over the competition, then your price gets driven down.

Clearly, workers at Starbucks perform tasks. And I'm sure they would like more money for their tasks. However, there's competition for those jobs, and the competition can perform the tasks just as well. Since there's no comparative advantage from one person to the next in the unskilled labor market, Starbucks can drive down wage costs.

Now, Starbucks does have to pay a lot of money to very specialized accountants who understand how to minimize the taxes paid on the profits they earn. This is because tax law and tax accounting are very specialized skillsets, with the potential for one employee to make an employer a significant sum of money, all while existing in an arena where there isn't the same supply.

When you affect minimum wage, you affect free market economic theory. I like to think most of us in the western world have a problem with that. I don't want an incentive to people to continue to work low-skilled jobs. I want incentives for society to educate itself, learn very specialized and high demand tasks, grow its intelligence, and use that comparative advantage in a global economy to exert power and influence over economies that don't have this intelligence and skillset.

If America is going to win the global economic war, it will do so on the backs of intelligent people who know more than their counterparts in developing economies. It will not do so because more people now have an incentive to work at Starbucks.

We fundamentally disagree. Not that anyone gives a shit what I think.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 04:11:49 PM »

This.

Proud to say I've never paid for a starbucks coffee in my life.
A

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »

Damn, I'll stick to my dunkin donut coffee.....no thanks, StarFucks

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 04:26:34 PM »

Damn, I'll stick to my dunkin donut coffee.....no thanks, StarFucks
America runs on Dunkin. And 3 years ago they had that nifty 3-colored slurpie based on Captain America. Fucking A

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 04:28:53 PM »
oh brother...so you have no idea what this company's costs are to finance growth, pay supply chains for foreign investments, transportation of product, labor costs, Federal compliancy costs, healthcare costs, 401k matching costs, stock dividend payouts, marketing and forecasting....but you can guess what they should pay for each staffing level because "they make so much profit"

I know all that stuff, actually
I worked in business development and accounts payable for a while, wrote kpi reports
and all that other jazz
listen, a corporation is a separate entity
which means it can be in deficit and the executive officers can continue to draw salaries
paying their personnel more wouldn't cut a dime from their own incomes
but they follow the old corporate 2 step, i.e. pay managers a fuckload in corporate offices
and pay store personnel pennies and dimes
and guess what, they'll keep it up because morons continue to work for those slave wages
otherwise they'd have to pay decently, like Coca Cola which pays its fucking forklift drivers $30/hr to load trailers
why?
because they collectively said no more exploitation
listen man, I respect corporate america but
unmonitored, they're like kids with adhd and a lot of money
see: the 2008 economic blowout

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 04:29:32 PM »
This.

Proud to say I've never paid for a starbucks coffee in my life.
Hey, it's a profitable business
but I'll be damned if I put a dime into it.

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 04:30:51 PM »
Why would they pay more than they have to for unskilled labor?

First of all, if they aren't having trouble hiring, then obviously, people are willing to take those jobs and consider an acceptable wage. They always have a choice to not work at Starbucks.

Secondly, if they choose not to work at Starbucks, they have the choice to earn an education and a skillset that allows them to command a higher wage. It's an economic theory; the theory of comparative advantage. If you don't have a comparative advantage at a particular task over the competition, then your price gets driven down.

Clearly, workers at Starbucks perform tasks. And I'm sure they would like more money for their tasks. However, there's competition for those jobs, and the competition can perform the tasks just as well. Since there's no comparative advantage from one person to the next in the unskilled labor market, Starbucks can drive down wage costs.

Now, Starbucks does have to pay a lot of money to very specialized accountants who understand how to minimize the taxes paid on the profits they earn. This is because tax law and tax accounting are very specialized skillsets, with the potential for one employee to make an employer a significant sum of money, all while existing in an arena where there isn't the same supply.

When you affect minimum wage, you affect free market economic theory. I like to think most of us in the western world have a problem with that. I don't want an incentive to people to continue to work low-skilled jobs. I want incentives for society to educate itself, learn very specialized and high demand tasks, grow its intelligence, and use that comparative advantage in a global economy to exert power and influence over economies that don't have this intelligence and skillset.

If America is going to win the global economic war, it will do so on the backs of intelligent people who know more than their counterparts in developing economies. It will not do so because more people now have an incentive to work at Starbucks.

We fundamentally disagree. Not that anyone gives a shit what I think.
We don't disagree really. You just don't see any reason the average man should make anything more than what the top bosses decide. I do see one. But overall, I wouldn't run the company differently if I was the owner
because I'm human and a greedy fuck too
but since I'm not the owner, and my friends work there
and I also worked in unionized companies that pay very good wages
I'm going to decide to say fuck Starbucks anyway

btw WAL MART is the worst in this regard, $8.30/hr to work the cash registers or greet people
you could make the case they keep costs low in this way, until you realize they could still keep costs low and pay their execs a few million less to pay their millions of workers a bit more
if it's so fine and dandy, why do they keep seeing these wildcat strikes every other month
all is not well in Walmartland

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 04:31:40 PM »
A Latte sir, thats $15 Thank you.
But think of how GOOD it'll be
the best customer service
and everyone behind the counter will have a huge smile and a thank you instead of slapping the change in your hand
I'd PAY for that
(once a month, maybe)  :D

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 04:33:28 PM »
???

Fuck those tattoo wearing assholes and fuck the beards.  Don't want hair in my coffee.
Yeah? then how come women with long hair
which comes off much more frequently than beard hair does
are allow to wear it long
they clearly discriminate against masculinity
more reason to buy coffee from, well
anywhere else

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 05:19:53 PM »
Starbucks is shit coffee but they have reliable WiFi and you know what to expect.

But I sure do prefer my fringe of society-lookin baristas at the local coffeeshop. Beards and gauges galore...and good coffee and a better atmosphere

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 05:25:03 PM »
Starbucks is shit coffee but they have reliable WiFi and you know what to expect.

But I sure do prefer my fringe of society-lookin baristas at the local coffeeshop. Beards and gauges galore...and good coffee and a better atmosphere
Ditto. People who serve coffee should look like hipsters. Don't ask me why, that is just as it should be. I don't want clean cut college dropouts in green aprons.

TheShape

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 05:40:08 PM »
I work at Starbucks, fuck all of you.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 05:58:51 PM »

I pretty much disagree with everything the dude has said. He left Canada for Europe and rails against capitalism. Lol.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 06:00:54 PM »

They have great coffee, tea, and hot chocolate (no homo), and are pretty quick. What's the problem?

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 06:01:46 PM »
They have great coffee, tea, and hot chocolate (no homo). What's the problem?
Yeah, great for you maybe
lol
try workin there, let us know
how fun it was

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 06:02:42 PM »
Yeah, great for you maybe
lol
try workin there, let us know
how fun it was

Now I understand your posts in the EU thread.