Author Topic: Robert Kennedy & Musclemag  (Read 9425 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Re: Robert Kennedy & Musclemag
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2006, 08:24:17 AM »
As for musclemag, I spoke with Dennis Weiss who writes for the magazine and in conversation assumed Musclemag owned Muscletech, but I was corrected by Dennis. 
From Day One, Mr. Kennedy denied being a part of the ownership of MuscleTech.  I didn't realize that he was still denying it.  

At some point, either the world will believe him or the world will have proof that he's lying.  

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2006, 08:27:55 AM »
Gayer then a rasberry stuffed donut melting away on a hot summer evening.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2006, 08:28:14 AM »

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2006, 10:40:32 PM »
Does Robert Kennedy own MuscleTech? Did Bill Phillips own EAS? Did Joe Weider have any financial interest in Weider Enterprises? Let's see... MuscleMag... MuscleTech... they sort of sound similar. MuscleTech ads occupy 48-50 pages of every 250 page Musclemag magazine. I think it's safe to say that Robert Kennedy is MuscleTech.
a

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2006, 04:00:42 PM »
Me again.....let me elaborate.....Back in the day...long before Muscletech ruined it.....MUSCLEMAG was a very respected mag as it presented a very unbiased opinion of what was going on in a WEIDER dominated world. It was the first mag to openly talk about 'roids, gyno,sex,synthol etc. It covered ALL contests (not just IFBB) such as the NABBA Mr. Universe, AAU Mr. America, WABBA Mr. World. When the judging sucked, they said so. They showcased many young unknown men who went on to do big things in the sport. They had great photography and articles from an international cast of contributors  Despite what you think, you would be hard pressed to find a BIGGER lover of bodybuilding than Robert Kennedy who in the early days endured much financial hardship to keep the mag going.

Robert Kennedy used to write the books like "Beef It" on the side just to keep his magazine afloat.
The House that Ruth built

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2006, 08:46:55 PM »
Let me know when that happens.  I'm in.

About 15 years ago, prior to his death, Dave Thomas was is Halifax, Nova Scotia to accept an honorary degree from St Mary's University ( go Huskies ) It was during that trip he had been exposed to Tim's.  Wendy's ( or it's parent company  ) showed intrest and bought all of the TimH's. Just recently ( one or two years ago ) they expanded into the US. 

For a franchisee, they are gold mines

One of it's two foundrs, Ron Joyce, sold some of his stock a few years back for $240,000,000 dollars ( he bought the rights to the whole deal from his partners widow for a few hundred grand and a new cadillac. ) Her kids tried to take it to court.

Dave Thomas's company ( who ever runs it now ) own Tim's, they would need to sell it off, do an IPO and go from there. I'd be curious to see if it comes about.

Beef

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2006, 09:01:18 PM »
About 15 years ago, prior to his death, Dave Thomas was is Halifax, Nova Sctia to accept an honorary degree from St Mary's University ( go Huskies ) It was during that trip he had been exposed to Tim's.  Wendy's ( or it's parent company  ) showed intrest and bought all of the TimH's. Just recently ( one or two years they expanded into the US. For a franchisee, they are gold mines

One of it's two foundrs, Ron Joyce sold some of his stock a few years back for $240,000,000 dollars ( he bought the rights to the whole deal from his partners widow for a few hundred grand and a new cadillac. ) Her kids tried to take it to court.

Dave Thomas's company ( who ever runs it now ) own Tim's, they would need to sell it off, do an IPO and go frm there. I'd be curious to see if it comes about.

Beef

Dave Thomas was also the first and largest franchisee of KFC.  He then started Wendys

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2006, 05:33:45 AM »
About 15 years ago, prior to his death, Dave Thomas was is Halifax, Nova Sctia to accept an honorary degree from St Mary's University ( go Huskies ) It was during that trip he had been exposed to Tim's.  Wendy's ( or it's parent company  ) showed intrest and bought all of the TimH's. Just recently ( one or two years they expanded into the US. For a franchisee, they are gold mines

One of it's two foundrs, Ron Joyce sold some of his stock a few years back for $240,000,000 dollars ( he bought the rights to the whole deal from his partners widow for a few hundred grand and a new cadillac. ) Her kids tried to take it to court.

Dave Thomas's company ( who ever runs it now ) own Tim's, they would need to sell it off, do an IPO and go frm there. I'd be curious to see if it comes about.

Beef

Dave Thomas was also the first and largest franchisee of KFC.  He then started Wendys

ok so HE'S responsible for all the diarrhea :)

Bronx

• Getbig III
  • MuscleMag Group Photo Editor
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2006, 05:50:44 AM »
MuscleMag does NOT own MuscleTech and vice-versa. And the amount of MT adds in MuscleMag are no different than any other. They all change in each publication from month to month.

Period.

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2006, 06:39:15 AM »
With the exception of the over-abundant Muscletech ads, i like Muclemag on the whole.

One thing i do find curious about it is although they're not articles, the Muscletech ads are listed on the contents page.
Not exactly normal magazine practice, is it?

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2006, 08:45:16 AM »
I used to enjoy that Venice beach gossip with Steve Neece where he would tell you what the pros were REALLY lifting in the gym.  You can go into a musclemag store and buy like 10 back issues (mostly late 70's, 80's and early 90's for under $10.  The current magazine is shite IMO.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2006, 02:51:00 PM »

Beef

Isn't Wendys a publicly traded company already?

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2006, 02:52:24 PM »

Beef

Dave Thomas hero and mentor was Colonel Sanders.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2006, 03:11:53 PM »
From the SEC & other sources:

Inovate Health Science Group Inc., licensed TBA Muscletech; located in Mississauga, Ont. Ca
Inovate Health Science Group Inc., licensed TBA Musclemag Inter.; located in Mississauga, Ont. Ca

I'll look for the actual incorparation docs.

I like Robert Kennedy. I think he's 1000x better for bodybuilding than Weider ever was. FWIW.
a

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2006, 04:01:06 PM »
From the SEC & other sources:

Inovate Health Science Group Inc., licensed TBA Muscletech; located in Mississauga, Ont. Ca
Inovate Health Science Group Inc., licensed TBA Musclemag Inter.; located in Mississauga, Ont. Ca

I'll look for the actual incorparation docs.

I like Robert Kennedy. I think he's 1000x better for bodybuilding than Weider ever was. FWIW.

his son douglas is a good man
wrong robert kennedy sorry

getnbigger

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2006, 01:09:27 PM »
From Day One, Mr. Kennedy denied being a part of the ownership of MuscleTech.  I didn't realize that he was still denying it.  

Kennedy was going to shut down the mag several years. He went around looking for investors. MuscleTech bought it. Kept Kennedy in as the cover. He stopped offerring the mag for sale. So when he claims he DOES NOT own MuscleTech, he isn't lying.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2006, 01:11:33 PM »
MuscleTech owns MuscleMag . . . who would've thunk it?

Norton

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2006, 03:00:26 PM »
MuscleMag is the vanity project - "Hey, I own a magazine that's read around the world!"

MuscleTech, however, is what pays the bills. 

You are exactly right.

Norton

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2006, 03:03:01 PM »
From Day One, Mr. Kennedy denied being a part of the ownership of MuscleTech.  I didn't realize that he was still denying it. 

At some point, either the world will believe him or the world will have proof that he's lying. 

I don't think he ever had any real ownership but Paul Gardiner keeps Kennedy's hands well greased. And not just from ad revenue.

slate

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2012, 03:35:27 PM »
robert died