Author Topic: Excellent film/documentary: Battle for Gold, the 1988 Mr Olympia  (Read 5261 times)

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
Excellent film/documentary: Battle for Gold, the 1988 Mr Olympia
« on: February 21, 2014, 10:47:18 AM »

BAST

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Ask Ronald to let me back in please. i am banned.
Re: Excellent film/documentary: Battle for Gold, the 1998 Mr Olympia
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 11:09:52 AM »
moron vic richards not competing but doing all the work for it

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
Re: Excellent film/documentary: Battle for Gold, the 1988 Mr Olympia
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 11:18:32 AM »
awesome 

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 11:29:25 AM »
I love how everyone gasped when Haney weighed in at 243. Show me one guy who weighs that today and looks half as good.

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 11:31:51 AM »
strong downplaying of the importance of steroids in the sport
"just the finishing touch"
right
ok

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 11:47:35 AM »
I love how everyone gasped when Haney weighed in at 243. Show me one guy who weighs that today and looks half as good.
I looked at the film and though .. so sad really, bodies got heavier, bulkier, less aesthetic, grossly deformed waist, shorter and shorter, less conditioned, I don't really know what the f.. happened. When you gotta look at 26 yo films for inspiration then you know this sport has serious issues.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 12:32:57 PM »
Cool vid.

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 02:34:36 PM »
couldn't watch pass the opening music score... I don't remember the 80's being so bad.
sept 10th APF

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 05:12:45 PM »
When you gotta look at 26 yo films for inspiration then you know this sport has serious issues.

Perfect!

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 06:35:16 PM »
Damn, Strydom was in great condition with a teeny waste.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 07:17:21 PM »
Bob Paris should have been Mr. Olympia.  He would have represented bodybuilding well.   Possessed of superb and highly aesthetic physique, Paris was also articulate and handsome beyond reason.  Contrast this with Jay, Ronnie, Dorian, Phil or most any other winner.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 11:58:21 PM »
I looked at the film and though .. so sad really, bodies got heavier, bulkier, less aesthetic, grossly deformed waist, shorter and shorter, less conditioned, I don't really know what the f.. happened. When you gotta look at 26 yo films for inspiration then you know this sport has serious issues.

Yep you hit the nail on the head. I've seen that before and watch it at times I want to get psyched up again. How can guys be 30 to 40 pounds heavier but be smaller. The newer drugs have completely ruined the sport.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 12:59:10 AM »
The more time passes, the more I like Lee Haney. Righteous, humble Hebrew champion. The King.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 01:08:04 AM »

Every single bodybuilder in that video was using a FULL ROM!!!

Now all the lazy ass bodybuilders talking about keeping tension on the muscle by doing half reps.  ::) ::) Unless our bodies changed that much in the last 25 years, there is no reason not to use a full ROM most of the time.
X

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 04:00:04 AM »

Now all the lazy ass bodybuilders talking about keeping tension on the muscle by doing half reps.  ::) ::) Unless our bodies changed that much in the last 25 years, there is no reason not to use a full ROM most of the time.
Take a look at how Sergio and Serge trained chest. Both are from the old school.Both had huge chests. Both from different areas, and both didn't use full ROM.
[/youtube]

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 05:24:58 AM »

I'm starting to think its due to joint pain and the limited range of motion that comes from it.  Even in the "old" days (60s through the 80s) the majority of men built a strong longer lasting foundation with basic training via squats, dips, pullovers and the like. 

My shoulders and elbows ache much of the time and I train via a modified version of HIT/Heavy Duty wherein I use lighter weight and higher reps but still to muscular failure with a full ROM.  If I can do more, I do so but I maintain a full range of motion via the lighter weights.   In my mind it's better this way than to train like an idiot see-sawing the weight up and down through a ROM of 2 or 3 inches.  But then I am in this for not only life, but a better life and a physique that will last me that life.

Look at what's become of Coleman for instance.  This is what is waiting for  Jay, Branch, Phil and the rest of the drug monkeys.  Sad.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 05:32:57 AM »
The more time passes, the more I like Lee Haney. Righteous, humble Hebrew champion. The King.
I thought he came of as an arrogant twat!  Thinking his shit didn't stink and constantly belittling his opponents.
V

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 05:36:21 AM »
The difference there with Sergio and Serge is that even though its a short rep on the bench its a controlled rep,Sergio does some short ROM reps and then locks out 95% and pauses before repeating the same thing a few times.all done in control.Todays guys just bounce up and down.
And i`ve been saying it for years,the 40lbs extra bodyweight todays guys have is all in the gut,thats why they don`t look visually bigger.

dave19

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 05:52:13 AM »
Great video, thanks for posting! 100% agree with everything you said

Alucard

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 06:05:28 AM »
One of the best old school videos, they all looked far better than bb today... Massive Haney ownage at the weigh-in, Strydom overdieted sadly, he was the only one able to stand size wise with Haney... De Mey awesome, his best Olympia... Fuck Victor Richards and his funky structure, overrated whale that never dieted down, biggest bodybuilder my ass... I'd like to see the weigh-in at every contest, since all the stats of bb today are fake and overblown...

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 06:37:29 AM »
The difference there with Sergio and Serge is that even though its a short rep on the bench its a controlled rep,Sergio does some short ROM reps and then locks out 95% and pauses before repeating the same thing a few times.all done in control.Todays guys just bounce up and down.
And i`ve been saying it for years,the 40lbs extra bodyweight todays guys have is all in the gut,thats why they don`t look visually bigger.
I used short rom for the past 8 years .. I did a lot of triceps and delts in the past while benching.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 08:12:43 AM »
I used short rom for the past 8 years ..

Have you found it more beneficial than full ROM?

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 08:27:16 AM »

Have you found it more beneficial than full ROM?
Absolutely. It depends on the individual and on the exercise, body mechanics etc

My chest was at a complete disadvantage during any pressing movement as I have long arms and my best/strongest bodyparts are my triceps and front delt. So I had to completely change the way I train.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 08:32:46 AM »
Absolutely. It depends on the individual and on the exercise, body mechanics etc

My chest was at a complete disadvantage during any pressing movement as I have long arms and my best/strongest bodyparts are my triceps and front delt. So I had to completely change the way I train.

I know there's a lot of debate on this topic, but from personal experience, I switched to shortened ROM about three years ago and have made much better progress with it. As you said, though, training and nutrition are both very individualistic, and everybody needs to find what works best for them.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 08:38:14 AM »

I know there's a lot of debate on this topic, but from personal experience, I switched to shortened ROM about three years ago and have made much better progress with it. As you said, though, training and nutrition are both very individualistic, and everybody needs to find what works best for them.
Yes sir, we need to experiment and nod be afraid to stick with something we feel the right way instead of following the crowd.