Author Topic: paleo?  (Read 2388 times)

bigbadwolfe

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Bigger Stronger Fatter then you!!!!
paleo?
« on: February 22, 2014, 02:22:32 AM »
Whats your thoughts on the Paleo diet? Im done competing just want to get my fat ass in shape where I look fit. Ive seen some great results on some folks from paleo. I dont want to be a monster just want to look good. Thoughts?

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
Re: paleo?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 02:27:07 AM »
Whats your thoughts on the Paleo diet? Im done competing just want to get my fat ass in shape where I look fit. Ive seen some great results on some folks from paleo. I dont want to be a monster just want to look good. Thoughts?
Just a different way to skin a cat.

Continue eating the way you do but clean it up somewhat. Eat smaller amounts of the same stuff you like. No point in doing a drastic change in diet. They all do the same thing - reduce your calories to a point where you are losing weight - when you stop losing weight reduce more or increase training to burn off more.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 02:27:33 AM »
Its a cult.

A

Vita11

• Getbig I

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 02:39:37 AM »
You will end like DJ181

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 02:39:48 AM »
it's pretty much a keto diet isn't it?

works but wouldn't want to stay on it for long. but good for dieting down fast.

and don't lift too heavy on low carbs. your muscles are depleted and drier.

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
  • That'll do pig, that'll do
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 02:40:29 AM »
Eat whatever you feel like and exercise a couple of times a week (powerwalk, run, sports). As you said, you just want to look good in a t-shirt, which any skinny fat slob can who trains arms and shoulders every now and then. Give up paleo, I can already sense in your OP that you barely have the will power to lose a single kg.  >:(

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 03:26:23 AM »
Mike, a few years back, you dropped the extra weight and you were fit looking...
Do what you did then. I see some good in Paleo, but I like the Mediterranian diet type of eating...

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 03:42:04 AM »
Mostly, I just dropped all wheat-based carbs and sugar and doubled my protein intake from high-quality sources, stopped all snacking and got rid of all processed foods. Cut way down on drinking to a glass of wine a week.

It's almost impossible not to lose weight if you do that,

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 06:31:25 AM »
Mostly, I just dropped all wheat-based carbs and sugar and doubled my protein intake from high-quality sources, stopped all snacking and got rid of all processed foods. Cut way down on drinking to a glass of wine a week.

It's almost impossible not to lose weight if you do that,
Thats the EXACT same thing i`ve done since christmas,had a rash on both arms and legs and after having the book Grain Brain bought for me as a christmas present,i cut out as much wheat based foods as possible.Rash went within 2 weeks,stomach went from  looking swollen to flat,,and cutting out as much sugar foods has had fat dropping off me like crazy.My diet is more like the 70s bodybuilders did,and what i started doing when i started training in 1979,no more low fat high carbs for me,now its low carbs (not zero carbs) high protein high fat.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 06:38:39 AM »
Hi Mike. Maybe I can help. I gotta return the favor for helping me with my bench and binges haha so.. PM me.

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 07:04:15 AM »

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 08:21:40 AM »
I do a paleo diet now with about 100g carbs supplemented from sweet potatoes and rice. Best I've ever felt before. I will do this for the rest of my life.

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »
Watered-down keto diet for pussies.

Either go extreme low carb or use them like everyone else and work harder in the gym.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 08:25:16 AM »
Watered-down keto diet for pussies.

Either go extreme low carb or use them like everyone else and work harder in the gym.

Paleo is the healthiest diet I've discovered that still allows me to continue making bodybuilding progress.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 08:29:10 AM »
Here's a few days worth of food for me Wolfie.

bigbadwolfe

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 08:56:14 AM »
Mike, a few years back, you dropped the extra weight and you were fit looking...
Do what you did then. I see some good in Paleo, but I like the Mediterranian diet type of eating...

Tried that the body is not reacting the same as it did 7 yrs ago. There were a lot of other factors in play back then that there is not now. I'm not on all the good stuff I was back then and I do not want to use any fat burners etc etc. Going to do this all with food and hard work this time around.

I'm 39 retired from the sport, I'm now running my own gym now. I'm coaching and training others now and I just want to be in shape now. No more need for being a monster. A guy at work dropped a 100 pounds eating paleo never really looked into it til now. but he is one of those crossfitters which I absolutely refuse to go down that path!!!!

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 10:47:31 AM »
While the reasoning behind paleo isn't terribly consistent (no potatoes?  Wtf) avoiding grains, dairy, and processed foods can only help.

Meat, eggs, vegetables, and some fruit/potatoes/rice is a very good approach for anyone

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 10:49:31 AM »
I like it.  It's a cheaper way to eat, makes me feel better, etc.  However, you spend a lot more time trying to plan meals.  Overall, an "easy everyday cook."   :D

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 11:25:48 AM »
The Perfect Health Diet (http://perfecthealthdiet.com/the-diet/) and Chris Kresser's Diet (https://chriskresser.com/) are both modified forms of Peleo/Keto Diet

Both allow starches such as sweet potatoes, white rice and other starches that don't contain gluten

The main emphasis is avoiding industrial seed oils, flour, grains, legumes etc..

Their diets are a bit low in protein for most people who lift or workout but basically I think they are very workable diets

They both recommend fats to be ~ 40-50% (or more) of the diet and saturated fat is just fine and in fact is preferred

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 11:26:32 AM »
IMO, this is the most important book written in the last 20 years.

If the typical overweight  American were to follow the principles in this book, the obesity epidemic in this country could be ended.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 11:27:02 AM »

It works

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 11:30:42 AM »
This chart is pretty much spot on:

bigbadwolfe

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 01:11:04 PM »
Thanks all! I think I'm going to give it a run and see how it goes for a couple weeks. If I see and feel a difference I will stick with it. I will post results soon.