Author Topic: Investing in Shares (Food for Thought-Part 2)  (Read 3343 times)

The Onion

• Getbig III
Re: Investing in Shares (Food for Thought-Part 2)
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 07:20:56 AM »
Off the top of my head I struggled to think of 5 big international corps which have dropped 100% or 200% or 300% in the past 5 years to even out the above, off course we have all the big Banks post credit crunch, BP post spill...etc but this is not in the last 5 years cut off.[/size]
Lol wut? A 100% drop in value would mean that theres no value left.....

And also, your examples of advanced hindsights are as useful as imagining that you would have bought a winning lottery ticket.

Sure Amazon is a great company but with a P/E of 590, come on...

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 07:27:23 AM »
the past 5 years were a once in a life time buying opportunity. ALl investors who expect great returns like that in the future are gonna be sorely disappointed due to being unable to replicate the returns of  that time period, will turn to alcohol, and ultimately suicide.

this kinda further proves how deluded and stupid you are.

I really don't know why your butt-hole hurts everyt time I post something simple.

Analysts in big hedge-funds get it right and wrong day and day out, there are winners and losers day in and day out, if you look at any of the above, you will find posted analysts opinions on each one, varrying from strong buy to hold to sell, some predict under performance, some out-performance....etc you're spouting illogical non-sense.

If I listened to people like you I would have put the proceeds of my house sale  3 years ago under my pillow and watch it wither away by inflation. VAT alone was bumped by 2.5% post credit crunch.

There's winners and theres losers I chose my path, I have a property I live in and one which I am renting out ready to be paid off for my retirement, I have an employers pension and the surplus of my income I put it into shares I am comfortable with. If you have better advice for me I would genuinely be happy to hear it as I am keen on retiring as early as I can.

Please respond with your advice
S

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 07:29:37 AM »
I have ESFitness handle my finances, no complaints yet

monstermunch

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 07:32:18 AM »
If sperm was a commodity, its fair to assume that Skorp1o's anus would be a sound investment. 

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 07:34:32 AM »
Lol wut? A 100% drop in value would mean that theres no value left.....

And also, your examples of advanced hindsights are as useful as imagining that you would have bought a winning lottery ticket.

Sure Amazon is a great company but with a P/E of 590, come on...

If I bought a shares at $5 each, and it dropped to $2.50...I would need a 100% rise to recover my losses.

If I bought a share for $6 and it droped to $2 I would need a 300% return to recover my losses.

If i am not holding in a company I don't give a rats ass if it burned down, If I am holding in a company 50%loss means shit me, as the only way I can recover my losses is if the stock I am holding doubles (100%) from its value today, which is a much bigger challenge. It seems like I am talking to people who have never bought a share in their life and come on here opening their mouths.

I'm getting tired of spoon feeding idiots ::)
S

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 07:35:13 AM »
Yes, there's a lot of stock manipulation which can go on, but the regualtors are quite savvy on this now, but I am sure some people still push the boundaries.

I know of someone who usess aliases which mimick those of big well known millionaires, so he buys a stock early in the morning in his name. Then he palces a massive order in the alias name, this lead to stock market anticipating rumours or build up of positive sentiments towards a share price, he sells his true holding with a profit then cancels the big order in the alias name. Comes out with a good margin on top for doing nothing. When you talk about big money here it makes a difference i.e. 5% to 15% of 1million, doing this several times a day day in and day out....they rake it in.

And there's so many other tricks, but people do go to jail for this. Insider dealing is a big one and still goes on, the best and biggest don't get caught, I think they only manage to see the tip of the iceberg.

Will defo pick that book up, thanks for the heads up.
nah bro, homm guy had much more distinguished stuff ;D
things were i dont see how regulators could do anthing about it,even after the effect.only change of law could.

btw i see alot of pointless jealousy here.
sure stockmarket made many ppl lse money, but skorpio has a good run and is a london city boy.this is the eurpean banking elite,plain and simple.

hes not a high school toothless chav dropout, hes an educated man.

all the tpoics on this matter on getbig i remember have been saying simpleton daft things like "Buy low seel high"no shit ,columbo

i actulay see some similiarlty to mr homm with skorpio,they know where to look for info.

n

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2014, 07:36:22 AM »
If sperm was a commodity, its fair to assume that Skorp1o's anus would be a sound investment. 

My anus is not listed in the stock market. and if it did, I bet my ass (pun intended) it would float.
S

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2014, 07:43:20 AM »
nah bro, homm guy had much more distinguished stuff ;D
things were i dont see how regulators could do anthing about it,even after the effect.only change of law could.

btw i see alot of pointless jealousy here.
sure stockmarket made many ppl lse money, but skorpio has a good run and is a london city boy.this is the eurpean banking elite,plain and simple.

hes not a high school toothless chav dropout, hes an educated man.

all the tpoics on this matter on getbig i remember have been saying simpleton daft things like "Buy low seel high"no shit ,columbo

i actulay see some similiarlty to mr homm with skorpio,they know where to look for info.

LOL @ toothless chavs  ;D

Is this the book Gal?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rogue-Financier-Adventures-Estranged-Capitalist-ebook/dp/B00A9T1JKC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393256562&sr=8-2&keywords=florian+homms
S

galeniko

• Getbig V
n

The Onion

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2014, 08:01:14 AM »
If I bought a shares at $5 each, and it dropped to $2.50...I would need a 100% rise to recover my losses.

If I bought a share for $6 and it droped to $2 I would need a 300% return to recover my losses.

I'm getting tired of spoon feeding idiots ::)
Yes, but that's not what you wrote...

And your new "rationale" would, as I understand it, be totally redundant given the fact that it's based on the numbers presented in your first post (because why would you compare the growth of another, not titled, company with the ones you've presented - in the context we're discussing right now).

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2014, 08:08:03 AM »
Yes, but that's not what you wrote...

And your new "rationale" would, as I understand it, be totally redundant given the fact that it's based on the numbers presented in your first post (because why would you compare the growth of another, not titled, company with the ones you've presented - in the context we're discussing right now).

Please don't tell me you are this stupid in real life
S

The Onion

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2014, 08:21:25 AM »
Please don't tell me you are this stupid in real life
I really am.  8)

I'm sorry but your posts make no sense to me, not semantically nor purposefully.

No need to spoon feed me though.

Bear232

• Getbig II
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2014, 08:23:59 AM »
As of now,  I would buy into companies that deal with oil and energy.  Manufacturers of parts, distribution and production of fracking components and drilling. 
Hell, even companies that transport oil via trucking will see a huge chunk of business coming their way.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2014, 08:33:53 AM »
As of now,  I would buy into companies that deal with oil and energy.  Manufacturers of parts, distribution and production of fracking components and drilling.  
Hell, even companies that transport oil via trucking will see a huge chunk of business coming their way.

Good point, although It's always a good idea to diversify, even when I am besotted with an industry, diversifying has saved my profolio from the odd crash. As simple as "eggs in one basket"

On another note, depsite all the economic issues, taking a step back one can see that the population is not decreasing, it is doing the opposite and at fast rate, the need for energy, goods, financial services...etc is only going to increase. Post credit-crunch luxury goods actually saw a massive rise in demand...who would have thought? Internet based companies are still growing, emerging markets are still catching up and with it opening new opportunities and untapped consumer potential, the new emerging chinese middle class are buying half of Londons new build apartments cash outpricing the locals....there's always cycles and there's always short to medium term volatility and as times evolve some industries will be redundant, but those who know where the waves are and where the low tides are can move their money accordingly.
S

pissant

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2014, 08:36:59 AM »
Skorp1o my main critique of your thought process isnt that stocks are for fools. Infact  I think equities are the best way for the average person to increase their personal cash flow.

The disturbing part about your posts is that you are always backward looking. IN your other post you talk about investing in Berkshire in the 70's, in this one you talk about investing in few s&P 500 companies after a once in a generation stock market crash. Your posts scream out ignorance of average traditional  returns. Which is , historically, around 10% for the s&p 500. To get greater returns you must be an astute stock picker.

In all your diatribes and useless rambling you never even mention methods of stock picking. These types of discussions are much more important than picking random stocks and saying "WOW LOOK U COULD HAVE BEEN A MILLIONAIRE IF ONLY!!" Do you practice fundamental analysis or technical? If you are a fundie guy what methods of valuation do you use? If you are techie chart patterns or indicators do you use?

Just judging by your posts about stocks in general you sound like the dude at a cocktail party who just found out about stocks. Its cute and slightly amusing but you offer nothing. You share no stocks you currently hold or you say nothing about your method of stock picking.

The Onion

• Getbig III
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2014, 08:49:54 AM »
Just judging by your posts about stocks in general you sound like the dude at a cocktail party who just found out about stocks. Its cute and slightly amusing but you offer nothing. You share no stocks you currently hold or you say nothing about your method of stock picking.
Bang on target pal.

I doubt Mr S uses FA or TA, he seems to rely on his superior "analytical" ability and going back in time.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2014, 09:00:47 AM »
ive sat back and watched this thread expand.

its funny,

im actually jordan belfort.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2014, 09:02:09 AM »
In all your diatribes and useless rambling you never even mention methods of stock picking. These types of discussions are much more important than picking random stocks and saying "WOW LOOK U COULD HAVE BEEN A MILLIONAIRE IF ONLY!!" Do you practice fundamental analysis or technical? If you are a fundie guy what methods of valuation do you use? If you are techie chart patterns or indicators do you use?

Always backward looking lmao  ;D

Ok, here's what I just found, AAPL are going up by 75.4% 19 months from now lol google...do you realise how stupid this sounds? go and do research on any business you will find tons of info based on past director dealings, past accounts, charts for the past 10 years, ratings, all of which is past information apart from analysts forecasts.

You almost started this post with a normal argument, then you moved on to personal attacks, you do not have a problem with what I post, you have a problem with me for some reason. But you're not the first nor the last on an internet board.

I mentionned in previous posts that I worked in the City since the age of 23, I am now 35 years old. Ive done it all and seen it all, from CFD's to futures, bonds and even dabble in secondary market mainly in high yield, so by all means no, I don't think Im a newbie and I don't hang out with cocktails in my hand, and I never talk about work when I am out.

I personally like big large firms with strong prospects, less volatility whom I study and watch for a long time on a daily basis and read their quarterly reports, evaluate their debts and liabilities and profit margins and sometimes that gives me an idea as to what I to expect from them and daily news feeds and stay up to date with Analysts sentiments. Like I said before I work in the City and can honestly say that just about every big invetsment firm we have here, I have an analyst at the end of a fone line I can talk to. I am a contrarian by nature, when people are fleeing I take a close look and jump in and that's where I made most of my profits. I am familiar with just about every valuation model there is DDM, DCF...etc. You sound like someone who was sold software to trade when there is no need to do so.

You're one of those blithering idiots that wants an answer in the format you want and see in your head, you sound like some broke middle aged bitter man who bit burned badly and this bitterness you're trying to offload on me...the only thing that's gona get offloaded here is a bucket of spunk on your face courtesy of my good self.

I post about past performance, because future performance data is not available you moron. You are acting as if I said..."Here's Amazon, buy now sell in 5 years at +400%", you are attacking me using a very basic rational that everyone knows about invetsments...past perofrmance is not an indication of future gains. You may lose all of your capital...etc.

I am providing people with food for thought, not a decision ready made on a plate, if you don't like it, do go fuck off somewhere else. Everything I post is fact, I used to waste my money on parties every weekend and holidays and since taking this on serioulsy it has changed my life, and this is a fact whether you like it or not, if you have better advice me, go ahead, if not then shut your mouth.

S

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2014, 09:18:35 AM »
Bang on target pal.

I doubt Mr S uses FA or TA, he seems to rely on his superior "analytical" ability and going back in time.

I buy stock mostly for holding onto for a minimum of 5 years, all types of fundamental analysis are strongly disputed as stock market prices are essentially unpredictable. Fundamental and Techincal Analysis is more relevant to commodities and precious metals, for service providers ask anyone, it is not the best tool to apply, furthermore such assessments might give you some data which might be useful for the next 12 months....but for a contrarian investor buying into an industry struggling and in the process of overcoming hardships i.e. reducing debts, tooxic assets, liabilities in combination with a positive (personal opinion) on economic outlook in 5 years time being better now...etc I am an economist by nature, it is not just the business that needs to be reviwed.

Im glad you found someone tom tag along with though, wel done.
S

The Onion

• Getbig III
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2014, 09:33:08 AM »
I buy stock mostly for holding onto for a minimum of 5 years, all types of fundamental analysis are strongly disputed as stock market prices are essentially unpredictable. Fundamental and Techincal Analysis is more relevant to commodities and precious metals, for service providers ask anyone, it is not the best tool to apply, furthermore such assessments might give you some data which might be useful for the next 12 months....but for a contrarian investor buying into an industry struggling and in the process of overcoming hardships i.e. reducing debts, tooxic assets, liabilities in combination with a positive (personal opinion) on economic outlook in 5 years time being better now...etc I am an economist by nature, it is not just the business that needs to be reviwed.

Im glad you found someone tom tag along with though, wel done.
Dude, you're just spewing nonsense now.

What you're essentially saying is that you buy crap companies that no one else wants to buy without looking at any financial statements (struggling companies, contrarian investing, disputing fundamental analysis). Good luck with that.

And just for the record, as you were questioning it in a previous post, - yes I've bought shares, I do it every month (50-65% of my salary).

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2014, 09:40:38 AM »

What you're essentially saying is that you buy crap companies that no one else wants to buy without looking at any financial statements (struggling companies, contrarian investing, disputing fundamental analysis). Good luck with that.

And just for the record, as you were questioning it in a previous post, - yes I've bought shares, I do it every month.

Or where we go another baseless dissmissal....how fucking easy is that? is that best come back you can come up with?

You're a moron, I look at quartely reports and half yearly results I don't even wait for the main financials to come out. I work in the industry everything I need is a click away  ::)

You think I am gona put 25% of my holding into one company and just sit there and come back 5 years later?

Im going in circles here entertaining idiots who know fuck all about anything let alone stocks investing, google some crap and come here challenging me, a guy who ahcieved nothing less than 22% PA in every single firm I put my money in the last 3 years and worked in the industry for 11/12 years, I challenge you to achieve half as well results. Pick a fight with someone your size before you get emotionally hurt  :P
S

pissant

• Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2014, 09:43:38 AM »

And just for the record, as you were questioning it in a previous post, - yes I've bought shares, I do it every month.
hes just a contrarian  investor who does zero homework or fundamental research. Just calls up his buddies in their London office an asks for tips.

But dont worry cause he still known multiple methods of valuation like DCF. Just completely useless when analyzing shit companies with toxic assets.

I think its becoming more and more apparent this man doesn't really know what the hell hes talking about. He uses examples of VISA, AMAZON, BERKSHIRE. He says he likes to invest in " large firms with strong prospects". Then he says he likes to invest in "industry(ies) struggling and in the process of overcoming hardships i.e. reducing debts, tooxic assets, liabilities".

SO which is it lol? You are clearly confused yourself and have no clear and transparent investment approach.

pissant

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2014, 09:45:25 AM »
Or where we go another baseless dissmissal....how fucking easy is that? is that best come back you can come up with?

Yu're a moron, I look at quartely reports and half yearly results I don't even wait for the main financials to come out. I work in the industry everything I need is a click away  ::)

Click away lol...you act like getting quarterly data is hard...Its called the SEC website which rational american investor is very familiar with.

you might impress a classroom full of highschoolers but not anyone who even casually watches financial news.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2014, 09:57:26 AM »
hes just a contrarian  investor who does zero homework or fundamental research. Just calls up his buddies in their London office an asks for tips.

But dont worry cause he still known multiple methods of valuation like DCF. Just completely useless when analyzing shit companies with toxic assets.

I think its becoming more and more apparent this man doesn't really know what the hell hes talking about. He uses examples of VISA, AMAZON, BERKSHIRE. He says he likes to invest in " large firms with strong prospects". Then he says he likes to invest in "industry(ies) struggling and in the process of overcoming hardships i.e. reducing debts, tooxic assets, liabilities".

SO which is it lol? You are clearly confused yourself and have no clear and transparent investment approach.

Yes I invest in firms with strong prospect, I would never invest ina firm with weak prospects, prospect depicts the future, not the current situation, unlike you I talk from personal examples. In this instance I can use Lloyds Banking, a company currently still working through its restructing, the new Banker running Horta Osario one of the best in the industry is doing a stirling job and I was buying at 30p and now it sits at 82p....a fine example of a big Bank with great prospects going through restructing, I have a few like these and then put my money in safer higher paying dividend companies like the ones I posted before.

Does your tiny little brain comprehend now? Or shall I form my sentences in a dildo format so you can sit on it. Cos you can't seem to be able to retain anything just like a big gaping anal hole.

If you go and do a full analysis by yourself on companies where 95% of the data is readily available for you to read and digest no wonder you've done so badly. YOU DO NOT NEED TO PRODUCE DETAILED RESEARCH ON COMPANIES....THAT'S WHAT ANALYSTS DO. you just need to have the intelligence to study it, financials are another matter, but my best predictions have been at theback of economic patterns combined with good business strategy, fianncials mean shit if a company has the wrong strategy and is heading the wrong way...I predicted this about Nokia a long time ago and more recently Blackberry, its people like you who get fooled into investments.

You and onion and the other guys are just haters, pure and simple.
S

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2014, 10:00:36 AM »
Click away lol...you act like getting quarterly data is hard...Its called the SEC website which rational american investor is very familiar with.

you might impress a classroom full of highschoolers but not anyone who even casually watches financial news.

I have Bloomberg you morron, I don't look at the SEC website, I am in the UK in London....do you not get this? I have a trading key broard and 6 screens on my desk but that's not for equities its for High Yield Bonds thats what I do...and guess what, I don;t reseach these companies......we have analysts that do that, I just buy and sell. Shall I tell my boss he's doing wrong? shall I tell him pissant the wizard thinks the fact that we quadrupled our proficts in the last 3 years is all bollocks?

But going back in circles, primary market equity trading is not rocket science so stop trying to make it out to be so you can sound intelligent. Im getting bored of your gimmicks and trolling, you need to spice it up a bit more  :D Im enjoying seeing how stupid and bitter some people are
S