Author Topic: Should OIL be gov. owned?  (Read 1409 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Should OIL be gov. owned?
« on: February 25, 2014, 08:10:30 AM »
I find it odd that just because you happened to own land that sits over an oil field that you get to own the rights to the oil.  Something nature made, nothing you had to do with that took millions of years to happen and now 1 person can own it.  It doesn't seem right.  I'm surprised that decades ago the gov. didn't seize ownership of all oil fields in the country.  they could still keep it as an enterprise where they sell it to the refineries at a cheap cost so they can process it and resell it to consumers.  the fact that a dozen people have all the say in oil prices is just bullshit,  it should be owned by the masses.

Now I know the same can be said about gold, diamonds etc.. or other natural resources, but those don't have the same impact on the day to day life of mankind as oil does.

Bear232

• Getbig II
Re: Should OIL be gov. owned?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 08:29:27 AM »
Show me the part of the Constitution that says resources can be government owned or can take your property at will.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 08:32:47 AM »
I don't know if you can fuck oil up - but I'm pretty the government would find a way to do so...

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 08:34:10 AM »
Oil owns Government. Next question.

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 08:36:42 AM »
Show me the part of the Constitution that says resources can be government owned or can take your property at will.

Imminent Domain

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Imminent+Domain 

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 08:42:11 AM »
Why not? What better way to fuck up more capitalism by taking over the oil industry and then fucking that up in the process.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 08:46:53 AM »
Chavez says YES!

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 08:47:32 AM »
Yes, because easy access of oil is causing abuse:

S

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 08:48:29 AM »
Why not? What better way to fuck up more capitalism by taking over the oil industry and then fucking that up in the process.

The government promotes oil profits by subsidizing Big Oil with billions of taxpayer money. Not saying it should nationalize oil, but the government certainly does not impede oil companies.

Oil Change International is an organization focused on exposing fossil fuel subsidies. On their site they have a page on fossil fuel subsidies, which they define as “any government action that lowers the cost of fossil fuel energy production, raises the price received by energy producers or lowers the price paid by energy consumers.” They include a spreadsheet breaking down various fossil fuel subsidies utilizing data from a joint OECD-IEA report called Fossil Fuel Subsidies and Other Support. The summary of oil-related subsidies in the U.S. for 2010 totals $4.5 billion. That is a number often put forward; $4 billion a year or so in support for those greedy oil companies.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/energysource/2012/04/25/the-surprising-reason-that-oil-subsidies-persist-even-liberals-love-them/

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 08:58:18 AM »
The government promotes oil profits by subsidizing Big Oil with billions of taxpayer money. Not saying they should nationalize oil, but the government certainly does not impede oil companies.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/energysource/2012/04/25/the-surprising-reason-that-oil-subsidies-persist-even-liberals-love-them/

Yes, but subsidizing is one thing. A total take over is quite another. They can't even manage what they have.

Bear232

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 10:52:42 AM »
Imminent Domain

Imminent Domain is quite limited in scope.  The Gov just couldn't take over thousands of acres of privately held property.  Property rights along with water and mineral rights are quite well established areas of Law.

alabama ftw

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 11:05:13 AM »
Why not?
Why should the government subsidize the most successful industry in the world? Crony capitalism at its worst.

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 11:36:23 AM »
Imminent Domain is quite limited in scope.  The Gov just couldn't take over thousands of acres of privately held property.  Property rights along with water and mineral rights are quite well established areas of Law.

A variety of property rights are subject to eminent domain, such as air, water, and land rights.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 11:38:39 AM »
Land captures happen all the time, but I'm talking about hundred years ago.  Why did they allow land owners to control it instead of just taking it over?

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 11:40:46 AM »

Beat me to it.

That said, I agree that the way it is now, is what's best for us.  You could use the same argument about lottery winners, that they didn't do anything except buy a ticket, and got paid.  Same with these land owners.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 11:42:02 AM »
Beat me to it.

That said, I agree that the way it is now, is what's best for us.  You could use the same argument about lottery winners, that they didn't do anything except buy a ticket, and got paid.  Same with these land owners.

The oil belongs to the earth though, developed over millions of years.  Lotto is a co-op of people pooling their cash for one sole winner.  not comparable.

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 11:55:48 AM »
Norway do all right under that sort of set up.

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 12:03:53 PM »
In theory, it sounds like a good idea to have government control the oil supply and devote it to the public good. However, man is inherently evil so whoever is controlling a valuable resource, whether it's big business or big government, will exploit it for his/her self benefit. Now big business has control and it benefits the few, the same would happen if big government controlled it, a few would benefit. 
yah and behind govt theres always mere humans anyway,its all the same.

venezuela the govt control oil.

one example lol
n

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 12:11:58 PM »
yes. all natural recources should.

see Norway. Doing a little bit better than Dubai in terms of infrastructure and standard for the avg citizen eh  ;)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 12:13:46 PM »
yah and behind govt theres always mere humans anyway,its all the same.

venezuela the govt control oil.

one example lol

I guess the gov can just decide to stop supplies and fuck over everyone if they ever decided to do so.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 01:39:39 PM »
Truth!

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 01:41:46 PM »
If oil reserves are found on government owned land I think it's completely reasonable that we as citizens get a cut.  Even if that cut comes from lower taxes.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 05:40:18 PM »
Government shouldn't own ANYTHING, considering tbey merwly are supposed to exist to be our administrators. Too many people are putting them as our nannies, that theyre believing it.

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 05:43:23 PM »
I work for one of the largest oil companies in the world.

As far as I'm concerned oil pretty much owns the government.

I can't see their being a huge change if the govt took over. Who really knows though.

However where I live working for an actual oil company is the "cream of the crop".

Pay, benefits, schedule, lateral or upwards movement within the company, etc.......you can't do better anywhere else.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 05:51:08 PM »
government is force - George Washington