Author Topic: Harvard writer: Free speech threatens liberalism and must be destroyed  (Read 1441 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Harvard writer: Free speech threatens liberalism and must be destroyed

If this Harvard University student got her way, free speech on campus would be abolished and professors with dissenting views fired, because radical leftism is the only permissible political philosophy and the First Amendment is a barrier preventing modern colleges from fulfilling their proper role as indoctrination camps.

Her name is Sandra Korn. She is a senior at Harvard and columnist for the Harvard Crimson.

In a recent column, Korn unambiguously insisted that the university should stop guaranteeing professors and students the right to hold controversial views and pursue research that challenges liberalism.

The column’s subtitle was even more direct: “Let’s give up on academic freedom in favor of justice.”

Her sharp rejection of intellectual freedom — a value enshrined by U.S. law and central to the success of American institutions of higher learning — is common among left-wing activists at elite colleges. Last week, Erin Ching, a sophomore at Swarthmore College, took a similar view when she criticized her university for committing the unforgivable crime of allowing a conservative — Christian thinker Robert George — to speak on campus.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/23/harvard-writer-free-speech-threatens-liberalism-and-must-be-destroyed/#ixzz2uOxIdz5G

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
Re: Harvard writer: Free speech threatens liberalism and must be destroyed
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 05:39:25 AM »
True this is only one obviously delusional persons opinion but I suspect many on the left agree with the writer.  I'm very frightened by this kind of rationalization of censorship but I'm not the least bit surprised. 

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 08:21:15 AM »
Now im beginning to understand why in revolutions, academics and 'intellectuals' are quite often hunted down and strung from lamp posts.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 08:52:36 AM »
Now im beginning to understand why in revolutions, academics and 'intellectuals' are quite often hunted down and strung from lamp posts.

Very interesting observation....usually the professors are advocating more freedoms not less. Our left has lost their minds. But the basis is still the same....in order to control the masses you have to get to the children first. In this country the left has won that battle so now they can go after everything. In short order they won't look much different then the Nazi's.
L

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 09:16:09 AM »
Very interesting observation....usually the professors are advocating more freedoms not less. Our left has lost their minds. But the basis is still the same....in order to control the masses you have to get to the children first. In this country the left has won that battle so now they can go after everything. In short order they won't look much different then the Nazi's.

People who think they are inerrantly righteous are capable of very frightening acts.  In their minds it's acceptable because they believe they are acting in the interest of the greater good.  As they say, the path to hell is paved with good intentions. What this demonstrates is a deep fear of truth. Suppress the truth and you never have to answer for anything because their is no dissent.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 09:23:30 AM »
Typical liberal communist

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 10:10:38 AM »
People who believe they are righteous are capable of very frightening things for what they believe is the greater good .  As they say, the path to hell is paved with good intentions. What this demonstrates is a deep fear of truth. Suppress the truth and you never have to answer for anything because their is no dissent.
what it also means is 'I cant invalidate my opponents opinion with my arguments so im just going to try and silence them'

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 10:25:12 AM »
what it also means is 'I cant invalidate my opponents opinion with my arguments so im just going to try and silence them'

That is precisely what liberals do.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 12:16:42 PM »
What is the current definition of liberalism?  I couldn't find it on urbandictionary or ED
Y

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 12:24:11 PM »

Professors?  Am I missing something? 

Aren't both writers mentioned in the OP just students (1 a senior and the other a sophomore)?

I think, believe it or not, that these 2 students writing about their rather extreme ideas in school is a good and healthy thing since others (including those much more educated) will undoubtedly critically analyze their opinions and likely make these students re-evaluate their opinions. 

Better than some high-school dropout reading Ayn Rand and posting their fawning opinions on some online Libertarian echo chamber, anyway.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 12:24:53 PM »
You have to be a gimmick account

Aren't both writers mentioned in the OP just students (1 a senior and the other a sophomore)?

I think, believe it or not, that these 2 students writing about their rather extreme ideas in school is a good and healthy thing since others (including those much more educated) will undoubtedly critically analyze their opinions and likely make these students re-evaluate their opinions. 

Better than some high-school dropout reading Ayn Rand and posting their fawning opinions on some online Libertarian echo chamber, anyway.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 12:32:15 PM »

Sounds like Jag.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 12:33:52 PM »
Sounds like Jag.

Whateva.  I don't know who Jag is, but it's not me.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 12:36:07 PM »
Whateva.  I don't know who Jag is, but it's not me.

Ok.   ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 12:36:13 PM »

right silence all dissent you don't aggree with

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 12:36:52 PM »

I'm no gimmick.  Just an older CA bodybuilder who's not insecure or misanthropic enough to go for the right's BS.

Your post count notwithstanding, your shit is far more gimmicky than mine, Mr. This-shitty-weather-must-be-Obama's-fault.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 12:37:25 PM »
that's this board, if you don't agree with me your jag  :D :D :D

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 12:39:05 PM »
Ok.   ::)

How can I prove to you that I'm not Jag?

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 12:40:07 PM »
I'm no gimmick.  Just an older CA bodybuilder who's not insecure or misanthropic enough to go for the right's BS.

Your post count notwithstanding, your shit is far more gimmicky than mine, Mr. This-shitty-weather-must-be-Obama's-fault.

that's not his post count, he's way over 100,000, he changed his name

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 12:41:03 PM »
that's not his post count, he's way over 100,000, he changed his name

Really blackass?  This coming from you ?  laughable

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 12:41:24 PM »

can't help but agree with this.  hopefully the students learned a hard lesson about  what "free speech" is from their critics.  if we lost our minds every time a STUDENT wrote something stupid none of us would live past 30.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 12:45:20 PM »

right silence all dissent you don't aggree with

You are missing my point.  (Shocker, right?)

Not silence, but put out for debate among those who'd engage critical thinking skills when critiquing your opinion.  
(Actually, it's not too different than you posting here, because whether it's about your Obama obsessions or your interest in competitive hiking with a weighted backpack, you get the benefit of others picking holes in your reasoning and you're better off for that.

This, in case you don't know, is what happens in a school setting.  You have to defend your opinions.  It's good for everyone, if you ask me.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 12:47:40 PM »
can't help but agree with this.  hopefully the students learned a hard lesson about  what "free speech" is from their critics.  if we lost our minds every time a STUDENT wrote something stupid none of us would live past 30.

Ya know, bears, I often don't agree with you but I have noticed before that you think for yourself. 

Are you not really into bodybuilding? ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 01:45:25 PM »
How can I prove to you that I'm not Jag?

You don't need to prove anything.  It's not that important. 

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 02:55:42 PM »

Ya know, bears, I often don't agree with you but I have noticed before that you think for yourself. 

Are you not really into bodybuilding? ;D

like my wife says, if you have a room full of bull headed conservatives and liberals (basically my family Christmas) and you start talking politics with me, everyone in the room will be offended by something I say within 10 minutes, maybe 15 if i'm drinking and in a good mood.