Author Topic: Catch a Contractor: Adam Carolla Brings Justice to Homeowners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 7446 times)

Henda

• Getbig V
I know countless guys who got done over by little old ladies.  Apparently it's all tea and cookies during work and the check is always in the mail!

I mean... what are you gonna do?

I know of a fair few who have suffered similar. Im sure we cannot even legaly remove work that hasnt been payed for, have had to chase payment several times but my biggest problem has been customers who move goal posts and expect extras without paying for them, or customers that will argue the toss when the patio you quoted them for suddenly is twice the size it originally was

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
I know of a fair few who have suffered similar. Im sure we cannot even legaly remove work that hasnt been payed for, have had to chase payment several times but my biggest problem has been customers who move goal posts and expect extras without paying for them, or customers that will argue the toss when the patio you quoted them for suddenly is twice the size it originally was

I've heard lots of advice thrown around about strictly defining the scope, this & that in writing, amortorizing excess job costs and bad debt, collection, etc.  Why bother?  So your lawyer can get a new urban 4WD?  You break your ass on some of these jobs.  More than anything, I just don't like dealing with people.  Being 'invited' into their home, they're hovering around, the bloke ALWAYS needing to talk about how he could have done it all himself if he had the time, etc.

My solution is simply spend my energy elsewhere.  I'm a good production guy and can crank it out (commercial project work was hit & miss when I was in the UK tho) but I like commercial and municipal maintenance, and heritage restoration these days.  Right budgets, usually work alone.  Heritage restoration is huge in your country.

thebrink

• Getbig V
Contractors can be very tricky individuals.  I'm looking forward to this show.

Fly by night bums with no credentials or trade tickets who claim to be contractors can be very tricky individuals. Also, customers who think they know it all because they watch Bob Vila can be extremely problematic, making things more difficult than they have to be. Paying the money for a reputable tradesman is something people have a hard time doing for some reason...

bradistani

• Getbig V
Can't wait to see this!

there was a similar programme to that over here. they had a house rigged out with hidden cameras which once caught a plumber pissing in the water cistern he was meant to be sorting :-\ ;D

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
people far too often assume to nail in a subfloor when it should be screwed in

if you nail it eventually the nails will ride up through the lenolium. such a common scene

i dont nail anything even roofers nailing in plywood on the roof is a bad idea just screw in everything and everything stays put

the problem is people are too weak, lack energy to drill in screws

im the minority and this post wont even matter because the majority is idiotic
A

ChristopherA

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

if you nail it eventually the nails will ride up through the lenolium. such a common scene

i dont nail anything even roofers nailing in plywood on the roof is a bad idea just screw in everything and everything stays put

Nobody nails in subfloor, what kind of crack jobs you on? Or you dealing with this on places you fix up?

bradistani

• Getbig V

'why don't you take a seat right over there, johnny ?'

'i swear i wasn't nailin' 'em in..'

Mawse

• Getbig IV
The guy who flipped the house we brought should be on the show ... although I suspect he spends his days standing outside home depot waiting for work rather than actually contracting. Its a little shop of horrors everytime I replace something he half assed. Lucky there's always litigation....

The worst thing about the housing market in the bay is having to grudgingly pay for horrific "upgrade" work on a previously solid house because there's so little otherwise decent inventory that's not in the million+ range. La was the same, these fuckheads are back like its 2007 again, ruining good houses and taking good deals off the market before they even hit mls

thebrink

• Getbig V

screws are great for preventing squeaks in floors but they dont have the sheer strength and flexibility of a good ol nail.

Voici Le Rédempteur

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Pour effacer la tache originelle.
screws are great for preventing squeaks in floors but they dont have the sheer strength and flexibility of a good ol nail.

Screw for subfloors are in the building code for most places. Not doing so is not acceptable. Especially that most builders use pos particle boards instead of plywood.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
you are wrong

try prying up a peice of wood that is nailed compared to one that is screwed in
A

thebrink

• Getbig V
you are wrong

try prying up a peice of wood that is nailed compared to one that is screwed in

Nail tip glue makes them harder to pull out than a screw.

Voici Le Rédempteur

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
Nail tip glue makes them harder to pull out than a screw.

That's my cock's nickname.

thebrink

• Getbig V
That's my cock's nickname.

;D ;D

mines been the teflon stick as of late  :-\

Voici Le Rédempteur

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
;D ;D

mines been the teflon stick as of late  :-\

sorry that nothing sticks... not even egg whites...

At least it's not "limp banana peel"

ChristopherA

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Screw for subfloors are in the building code for most places. Not doing so is not acceptable. Especially that most builders use pos particle boards instead of plywood.
How particle board even meets code is beyond me. Nothing more inspiring in the quality of a product than seeing it soak up water like a sponge and swell

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
How particle board even meets code is beyond me. Nothing more inspiring in the quality of a product than seeing it soak up water like a sponge and swell
when i was framing houses at 16 we put up so much of that almost inch thick osb board i wonder how it held up. it was thick like 3/4  i remember thinking that was hard work, we would work sun up to sun down , and i was dieting on coca cola or pepsi and a couple sausage biscuits a day and that was it
A

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
when i was framing houses at 16 we put up so much of that almost inch thick osb board i wonder how it held up. it was thick like 3/4  i remember thinking that was hard work, we would work sun up to sun down , and i was dieting on coca cola or pepsi and a couple sausage biscuits a day and that was it
Wonder if you used screws instead of nails it would hold up better?

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Wonder if you used screws instead of nails it would hold up better?
we had nail guns then . but those were some heavy sheets back then it was my first taste of real work
A