Author Topic: One of the top athletes today  (Read 4190 times)

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
One of the top athletes today
« on: March 01, 2014, 03:50:57 AM »

No weights, booze, tantrums but he delivers.

I have seen this before.. McEnroe, thin, twink, coke, booze, no work ethic to speak of, imensely talented. Ben Cousins was the same.

I always wonder what would they be like if they's train to be amazing athletes as well..

Boost

• Getbig V
Re: One of the top athletes today
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 05:45:13 AM »
Tennis has evolved dramatically in the last 30 years.

The top 4 (Novak, Federer, Nadal, Murray) would wipe the floor with any of the previous decades champs (apart from perhaps Sampras)

They're just much better athletes these days. Science and Nutrition/proper training has pushed the level to what it is today.

A guy Like Agassi is just a lesser version of the current crop. he didn't have the power or the speed around court, not to mention the ability to grind out 5 sets at high intensity like the guys today have.

You go back further....Mcenroe, Becker, etc.... these guys wouldn't stand a chance. Mcenroe with todays training wouldn't be a top player. He's undersized and doesn't have the genetics in terms of speed and power.

Certain sports are hard to compare in terms of how athletes of decades past would compare with today..... Would Ali Beat Tyson? etc....it's all speculation....

Tennis is not like that. The guys today are simply better.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 05:59:17 AM »
Johnny Manziel just has that "it" factor, which is extremely rare.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 06:00:45 AM »

The top 4 (Novak, Federer, Nadal, Murray) would wipe the floor with any of the previous decades champs (apart from perhaps Sampras)

They're just much better athletes these days. Science and Nutrition/proper training has pushed the level to what it is today.

A guy Like Agassi is just a lesser version of the current crop. he didn't have the power or the speed around court, not to mention the ability to grind out 5 sets at high intensity like the guys today have.

You go back further....Mcenroe, Becker, etc.... these guys wouldn't stand a chance. Mcenroe with todays training wouldn't be a top player. He's undersized and doesn't have the genetics in terms of speed and power.

Certain sports are hard to compare in terms of how athletes of decades past would compare with today..... Would Ali Beat Tyson? etc....it's all speculation....

You obviously don't understand tennis very well. All the old timers you listed would easily compete and beat the top 4 players today and viceversa depending on the day. There are differences.. tennis with wooden raquets HAD to be played differently.. also McEnroe can hold his own against the top players today even at 50 something... bad example to pick.

There were as good and sometimes better athletes even back then... My thread is focusing on something else I believe though..

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 06:03:32 AM »
Did anyone watch Ben Cousins play? I was very very impressed.. that guy was a thoroughbred and born for anything athletic even though some might argue he was of small stature. Very impressive all-around athlete.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 06:07:43 AM »
I really hope Manziel does well at the next level.

Some of the stuff he pulled off in college was unbelievable

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 06:11:02 AM »
I really hope Manziel does well at the next level.

Some of the stuff he pulled off in college was unbelievable

I honestly don't know what to expect from the guy on the next level.

All pro or bust?

Some are saying definite number one pick but I also heard one of the ESPN guys say he wouldn't touch him in the first few rounds.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 06:15:55 AM »
I honestly don't know what to expect from the guy on the next level.

All pro or bust?

Some are saying definite number one pick but I also heard one of the ESPN guys say he wouldn't touch him in the first few rounds.

I see him kinda like Brett Favre.... he'll get a lot of touchdowns and a lot of interceptions, just by taking risks.  He'll still win a lot of games

What I'm worried about is that he'll scramble often and wont be smart about sliding early.... and some linebacker is gonna end his career 2-3 years in.

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 06:16:59 AM »
Did anyone watch Ben Cousins play? I was very very impressed.. that guy was a thoroughbred and born for anything athletic even though some might argue he was of small stature. Very impressive all-around athlete.

That's good build.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 06:27:15 AM »
I doubt that Manziel is the second coming of Leaf.  Hype is a part of "entertainment" and football is just that:  Entertainment.   Personally I don't watch it but I am a rarity in the world because for the greater part I care not for sports.

As for tennis?  Look at the equipment.  Racket and ball technology (like that stupid "sport" Golf) have changed the game.  Bigger racket heads and materials for one have made it a game of aces.  A few years ago I read of how the Williams sisters were fantastic but still not up to the men's level.  They had a low level player from the men's division (down in the mid-100s ranking?) play them.  He crushed them.  I think the Billie Jean King vs Bobby Riggs fiasco was rigged.

Look at Basketball.  These clowns palm and carry the ball as the dribble down the court with the ball routinely above their waistline.  They travel more than gypsies.  They suck.  Powerlifting?  "Shirts".  Stupid clowns.  In Swimming they tried to get away with a special suit but I believe that was ruled (thank goodness) illegal).  Not too long ago the "female" swimmers surpassed the great Johnny Weissmuller's records in the pool.   Bicycling?  What a joke.  Running?  NYUK! NYUK! NYUK!  Olympic Lifting?  Just have a look at the "women".  It ain't the "training" friends and we all know it. Drugs permeate sports, both real and faux, e.g., football and bodybuilding.

People have not "evolved" to a higher level of athleticism in the last few decades, drugs and equipment have and when that's not enough the rules are either changed or flat out ignored to benefit the mediocre performers.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 06:32:01 AM »
I see him kinda like Brett Favre.... he'll get a lot of touchdowns and a lot of interceptions, just by taking risks.  He'll still win a lot of games

What I'm worried about is that he'll scramble often and wont be smart about sliding early.... and some linebacker is gonna end his career 2-3 years in.

As much shit as Tony Romo gets he can be elusive as fuck in the pocket and Manziel kinda reminds me of that but he's a better talent in my opinion. Guys like them just seem to have a 6th sense to avoid getting taking the big hits while trying to make something happen(unlike a Manning who just drops) but then again the NFL is a completely different animal and putting the shackles on Manziels scrambling ability totally changes his game and value.

I dont think he carries Favres jock but I think he'll be like a Romo if they limit his scrambling and an upgrade if they let him run.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 06:35:27 AM »
As much shit as Tony Romo gets he can be elusive as fuck in the pocket and Manziel kinda reminds me of that but he's a better talent in my opinion. Guys like them just seem to have a 6th sense to avoid getting taking the big hits while trying to make something happen(unlike a Manning who just drops) but then again the NFL is a completely different animal and putting the shackles on Manziels scrambling ability totally changes his game and value.

I dont think he carries Favres jock but I think he'll be like a Romo if they limit his scrambling and an upgrade if they let him run.

Tony Romo is a top 8--if not top 5-- QB, don't let the media narrative fool you.  He's led a lot of game-winning drives, but abysmal coaching has hamstrung him.

I just compared him to Favre in the sense that they both like to take risks.... some risks that pay off, and some that don't

muscleman-2013

• Getbig V
  • Team Trump
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 06:36:19 AM »
The GAYNESS in this thread is stifling.  You fagg0ts MUST equate muscles with better athleticism  ::)
Ψ

muscleman-2013

• Getbig V
  • Team Trump
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 06:38:22 AM »
Ψ

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 06:38:54 AM »
Tony Romo is a top 8--if not top 5-- QB, don't let the media narrative fool you.  He's led a lot of game-winning drives, but abysmal coaching has hamstrung him.

I just compared him to Favre in the sense that they both like to take risks.... some risks that pay off, and some that don't

I look at Romo like this.

As of right now top 10 quarterback.

Take away a couple well publicized bone headed plays on national TV then most people consider him top 8.

Take away a couple MORE well publicized bone headed plays on national TV then most people consider him top 5.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 06:40:34 AM »
it would be more fun to compete against getbiggers in athletic events rather than praising sport studs

we need to create some sort of online game so we can compete in something other than the way we look
A

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 06:40:46 AM »

Take away a couple well publicized bone headed plays on national TV then most people consider him top 8.

Take away a couple MORE well publicized bone headed plays on national TV then most people consider him top 5.

But you can't take away the bonehead plays ;) :)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 06:45:15 AM »

But you can't take away the bonehead plays ;) :)

And that my friend is what is defined as "the rub"  8) :)

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 06:45:40 AM »

So you agree with me then?  Him fumbling that field goal snap was a big oopsie, sure, and then this year when he threw that pick against the Broncos. Besides that, he's a monster QB 95% of the time

But what about Peyton throwing that pick in the Superbowl?  Even Tom Brady threw two game-ending picks this year.

Peyton
Brady
Brees
Rodgers

Those are the undisputed top four....after that I would put Rivers & Romo about equal

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 06:50:45 AM »
So you agree with me then?  Him fumbling that field goal snap was a big oopsie, sure, and then this year when he threw that pick against the Broncos. Besides that, he's a monster QB 95% of the time

But what about Peyton throwing that pick in the Superbowl?  Even Tom Brady threw two game-ending picks this year.

Peyton
Brady
Brees
Rodgers

Those are the undisputed top four....after that I would put Rivers & Romo about equal

I think I read somewhere that Tony Romo is statistically speaking THE BEST 4th quarter quarterback in the NFL right now by a sizeable margin and I assume one of the best all time.

BUT those damn well known interceptions in the last few minutes of the game. :-X :-X

ChristopherA

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 07:08:40 AM »
You obviously don't understand tennis very well. All the old timers you listed would easily compete and beat the top 4 players today and viceversa depending on the day. There are differences.. tennis with wooden raquets HAD to be played differently.. also McEnroe can hold his own against the top players today even at 50 something... bad example to pick.

There were as good and sometimes better athletes even back then... My thread is focusing on something else I believe though..

Couple of my best friends in high school were the number 1 and 2 players on the tennis team. Always enjoyed watching their matches and watched professional allot back then too. Anyone who's ever played or attempted to play knows the skill and technique it takes to not just hit the hall into orbit. How do you think Sampras would have done against Federer, or even Nadal, in his prime? Sampras was the man when I was a teen

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 07:14:01 AM »
I think I read somewhere that Tony Romo is statistically speaking THE BEST 4th quarter quarterback in the NFL right now by a sizeable margin and I assume one of the best all time.

BUT those damn well known interceptions in the last few minutes of the game. :-X :-X

Exactly.  He's an incredible QB.... he's tough as hell, he played a couple years ago with 4 broken ribs and he won that game this year with herniated disks.

But all people look for is "lol Romo-ception"....I hoped he would go to a well-run team and win a couple of rings, but that's not gonna happen at this point.

The game this year against the Broncos, when he threw that pick, it was because his center stepped on his foot as he threw the ball.  Watch the replay, and you'll see.  

But nobody mentions that.....I guess it's Romo's fault that his foot got stepped on ::)

ChristopherA

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 07:23:57 AM »
Exactly.  He's an incredible QB.... he's tough as hell, he played a couple years ago with 4 broken ribs and he won that game this year with herniated disks.

But all people look for is "lol Romo-ception"....I hoped he would go to a well-run team and win a couple of rings, but that's not gonna happen at this point.

The game this year against the Broncos, when he threw that pick, it was because his center stepped on his foot as he threw the ball.  Watch the replay, and you'll see.  

But nobody mentions that.....I guess it's Romo's fault that his foot got stepped on ::)
He doesn't have the mental makeup to be a great JMO. Brady has had just as many years will nobodies as he had had with Welker's, Moss's, etc. He won anyway. How can you ever be talked about as a "great" QB if you've never won a playoff game? I admittedly haven't watched allot of NFL the past 2 years, almost none this year.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 12:42:53 PM »

The main difference is gh.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 01:11:25 PM »
Couple of my best friends in high school were the number 1 and 2 players on the tennis team. Always enjoyed watching their matches and watched professional allot back then too. Anyone who's ever played or attempted to play knows the skill and technique it takes to not just hit the hall into orbit. How do you think Sampras would have done against Federer, or even Nadal, in his prime? Sampras was the man when I was a teen
I played like Sampras and molded my game after him as I was playing when he was on top. He could've beaten both and could also lose to both .. it's a matter of who gets the few key points on that day. These guys, the all time greats are all robots.