Author Topic: Stalingrad  (Read 9715 times)

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Re: Stalingrad
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 06:54:32 PM »
No shit. Our forces crushed everything in the South Pacific. Midway, Leyte Gulf, Okinawa, we destroyed that country, while holding our own in Europe. Like some beast of a dude in a bar fight throwin dudes off of him while pounding another one.
Then 5 years later back at it in Korea.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 07:17:45 PM »
Then 5 years later back at it in Korea.

We've got yellow fever bro.  ;D

forillagorilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 07:37:20 PM »
Their policies there are extreme for sure and not exactly cutting-edge field tactics even by 1940s standards, but I sort of feel like when you're in that moment where the order to attack or hold your ground is given, the decision to flee instead probably comes down to fear of the enemy killing you right then rather than fear of the repurcussions of disobedience.  It's not like the other armies didn't punish desertion, although they probably didn't murder you and your family for it admittedly.

I've never fought in a war or even fired a real weapon though so what do I know really.

You have a right to your opinion - combat does affect those opinions but that right is worth fighting for

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 07:42:28 PM »
This.

People act like the US paraded thru Berlin on the backs of the brits and russkies and called it a day....we went and fought another war. With no help
No help but the Chinese fighting them in the West and the Russians fighting them in the North.  ::)  In fact, it was the Russians moving most of their army across their country in weeks after defeating the Germans that pushed Japan off the continent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_invasion_of_Manchuria

None of this diminishes the American contribution in WW2 but its good to actually know history.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 07:54:15 PM »
If any one of the major Allied powers was not involved in the war I think it's safe to say that continental Europe would be a glorious empire of huge Ary-an bastards with muscles today.

I am less sure of how the Pacific would have turned out.  I don't know the history there well but feel like the US would have prevailed eventually without whatever assistance GB and the Reds gave.

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2014, 07:55:51 PM »
If any one of the major Allied powers was not involved in the war I think it's safe to say that continental Europe would be glorious empire of huge Caucasian bastards with muscles today.
True. But the entire premise of the Nazi war effort was that the Wehrmacht was invincible against the powerful armies arrayed against it. Let's also not lose sight of the fact that they siphoned off the resources and manpower of all the countries they occupied in Europe. So it was only fair the allies would band together, too. They lost. Germans aren't superhuman. They're as expendable as anyone else.

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
  • HAIL SATAN. I'm a bad ass...You're just an ass.
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2014, 08:08:10 PM »

Gracie Rules

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2014, 08:48:31 PM »
138 viewers... 0 comments. hmmmmmm...Muricans didn't like that Red Army did  everything without their help. ;D

A

Nomad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2014, 09:09:28 PM »
Bravery had nothing to do with it. Not with most, anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_No._227

If they turned around, they'd be shot and their families would be sent to concentration camps and shot there.

PS. They lost 13 million military personnel and about 10 million civilians. The bulk of the latter deaths were from starvation, because the Soviet authorities couldn't feed them. The former were mainly from the Soviet military leadership's exceptional bungling in the first year of the war, and their reckless use of manpower to slow the Germans by flooding them with oncoming human waves in the last 3. By comparison, the Germans lost 3.5 million military and about the same civilian. That's with fighting every country in Europe, the US, the USSR, and carpet bombing for 3 years straight.

And all that despite US help. Fuck the Russians. They can't even beat those Chechen rebels after 15 years of fighting in their OWN country. And now they want to occupy Ukraine too, defenseless countries in other words.

You seem a tad butthurt, bro.

all drugs - TPPIIP

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 12:45:21 PM »
Just watched the trailer.  Holy shit, how did I miss this was already out?  Will go and see it, and hopefully it is all in subtitles.  The main German character, looks like the guy from King Kong and Downfall.  Damn shame so many white folks died like that.  :-\

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 01:02:11 PM »
By 1942/3 Lend-Lease with the U.S. meant that almost all of Russia's troops were being ferried around in Studebakers and Abrams tanks. Without America's help, the USSR would've collapsed like a a deck of cards sitting on Dennis Wolf's calf muscle in the middle of a windstorm.

The thing is this movie was already done in 2000 with Enemy at the Gates, using well-known actors. Nobody in the trailer has name recognition.

Yep. Stalin was practically begging roosevelt for help. The soviets did do the bulk of the fighting againsg germany by a large margin, but if not for american support in the beginning, they would have been totally defeated by germany.

hematocritter

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2014, 04:33:17 PM »
That era was when men were men. Everyone fought hard. Everyone always talks about the bravery of the victors, but the Germans fought just as valiantly. The German rear guard during the retreat from the Soviet Union were some of the bravest fighters in the war.
The Japanese' willingness to fight to the last man in the island campaigns was something to admire as well.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2014, 11:03:16 AM »
That era was when men were men. Everyone fought hard. Everyone always talks about the bravery of the victors, but the Germans fought just as valiantly. The German rear guard during the retreat from the Soviet Union were some of the bravest fighters in the war.
The Japanese' willingness to fight to the last man in the island campaigns was something to admire as well.

Truth. The german soldiers were the best bar none

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2014, 03:19:08 AM »
A tale from WWII:
At 2:30 and 5:40 if you listen carefully you can hear RAF bombs dropping on Berlin outside the studio even through the soundproofing.
This was recorded on AEG Magnetophon tape recorders, in stereo.  

In the general chaos of the last few months of WWII, U. S. Army Signal Corps Major Jack Mullins “obtained” two tape recorders and fifty reels of tape.  Major Mullins returned to the U. S. A.  He showed Bing Crosby the machines and Crosby partnered with a Russian named Alexander Matthew Poniatoff.  Together they formed AMPEX to reverse engineer tape recorders from the two samples. They approached 3M to figure out how to make the tape.  They all made a fortune.
[ Invalid YouTube link ]
[ Invalid YouTube link ]
I love old gismos.