Author Topic: Greg Abbot....Another Real GOPiece of Shit  (Read 1497 times)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Greg Abbot....Another Real GOPiece of Shit
« on: March 03, 2014, 04:38:34 AM »
Wow...what as asshole

WACO, Texas (AP) — When Greg Abbott was paralyzed by a fallen tree in 1984, Mark Phariss flew 500 miles to his friend's bedside. They were law school pals who swapped stories over dinner, job leads and airport rides, and they still exchange Christmas cards today.

Their friendship is now at an extraordinary junction: Phariss, who is gay, filed the Texas lawsuit that a federal judge used this week to strike down the state's ban on same-sex marriage, which Abbott, Texas' attorney general, has vowed to defend all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Both chalk it up as a remarkable coincidence. Abbott, a Republican who is running for Texas governor, said Friday he still considers Phariss a friend, even though they've lost touch in the past decade.

Phariss, who never told Abbott he was gay, echoed the sentiment — even as Abbott works to uphold what Phariss considers to be discrimination.

"If I was only friends with the people I agreed with, particularly in Texas, I wouldn't have many friends," Phariss told The Associated Press.

Texas joined Oklahoma and Utah as the latest deeply conservative states that want to take its newly quashed gay marriage bans to the Supreme Court. A federal judge in San Antonio ruled Wednesday that Texas had no "rational" reason to deny same-sex couples the right to marry, but declined to enforce his decision pending Abbott's appeal.

Whatever the outcome, the history between Abbott and Phariss adds an intriguing backdrop to one of the most divisive social issues in the U.S.

Abbott made clear at a campaign stop Friday he doesn't approve of Phariss' quest to wed his longtime partner. He also expressed no sympathy at the thought of refusing his old friend the right to marry his partner of 16 years, Victor Holmes, an Air Force veteran.

"When the constitution is upheld, we're all winners," Abbott said.

Abbott said Friday he only realized Phariss was gay when his name appeared on the lawsuit, and said Phariss' sexuality doesn't change his opinion of him.

"It shows that on some of the hot-button issues of the day, we can have a civil discourse without harsh rhetoric," Abbott said.

Phariss and Abbott first met at Vanderbilt Law School. Phariss described two southerners — Phariss is from Oklahoma — and ideological opposites drawn together by their enjoyment of discussing politics over breezy dinners.

After leaving Vanderbilt, Abbott was crushed by a falling tree in Houston while out jogging. He was permanently paralyzed from the waist down, and upon hearing the news, Phariss flew to the hospital and spent two days with Abbott. He bought books to help him pass the time and kept Abbott's wife and mother company. A year later, Phariss said Abbott helped line up a job offer for him.

In the 1990s, when Abbott entered politics and was elected a state judge and later a Texas Supreme Court justice, he flew to San Antonio for a campaign stop. Phariss picked him up at the airport and drove him to meetings and a fundraiser.

Phariss, now 58 and an attorney near Dallas, said he was not out at Vanderbilt. He dated girls and didn't ask out men, and didn't publicly reveal he was gay until his mid-30s.

Phariss said that while he and Abbott never discussed gay rights, he never detected hatred from his friend — who is now one of Texas' most conservative political leaders.

"I don't perceive from him any animus toward gay people," Phariss said. "I do remember, either in law school or after, (talking) about someone we thought might have been gay — we just kind of speculated whether a certain person might be gay. He didn't seem to have an issue with that."

Along with other same-sex couples, Phariss and Holmes sued the state after being denied a wedding license on their anniversary last August.

Phariss said the last time he and Abbott spoke was in Austin around 2004, shortly after Abbott became attorney general. He said Abbott won't get his vote for governor this fall because of his politics, but neither will Democrat Wendy Davis, Phariss said, because he doesn't like the idea of voting against his friend.

Phariss compared his continued embrace of Abbott to family members, including his twin sister, who don't support him but whom he still loves.

When Pharisss and Holmes began putting a portrait of themselves on Christmas cards, Phariss said he's made note of which friends and family send a card back the following year — and which don't.

Abbott did.

"I secretly grinned," he said. "I said 'Good. Not a problem."
A

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
Re: Greg Abbot....Another Real GOPiece of Shit
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 05:49:25 AM »
So, is he a piece of shit because he has a gay friend, and doesn't agree with him, or because he is against gay marriage?

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 05:55:17 AM »
Seems like the OP suffers from down syndrome.

From the article:

Both chalk it up as a remarkable coincidence. Abbott, a Republican who is running for Texas governor, said Friday he still considers Phariss a friend, even though they've lost touch in the past decade.

Phariss, who never told Abbott he was gay, echoed the sentiment — even as Abbott works to uphold what Phariss considers to be discrimination

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 06:00:45 AM »
Davis lied about everything. This man is upfront about what he believes in and yet he is the "piece of shit".

That is some libtard logic for all of you folks.

Anyway, this race is over. It was over before it began.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 06:06:52 AM »
Phariss said the last time he and Abbott spoke was in Austin around 2004, shortly after Abbott became attorney general. He said Abbott won't get his vote for governor this fall because of his politics, but neither will Democrat Wendy Davis, Phariss said, because he doesn't like the idea of voting against his friend.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 06:15:03 AM »
When Pharisss and Holmes began putting a portrait of themselves on Christmas cards, Phariss said he's made note of which friends and family send a card back the following year — and which don't.

Abbott did.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 12:25:01 PM »
Abbott is gonna rightfully destroy abortion barbie.

The left has NOTHING but baseless smears, deception, and the Race Card  ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 12:26:44 PM »
Vince what makes him a POS?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 12:31:51 PM »
Ok...I'm glad I wasn't the only one who read this right. Vince is a fucking imbecile. The guy has no issue with gays, has a gay friend, but because he has deep held beliefs that marriage is between a man and a women...he defends that position.
L

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 12:39:52 PM »
He hates him because he has the audacity to be 1.white and 2.not liberal

Those two things represent what liberals hate most ;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 12:56:25 PM »
 :'(

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 12:59:35 PM »
He hates him because he has the audacity to be 1.white and 2.not liberal

Those two things represent what liberals hate most ;D

How come Obama is considered black...his mom is white and she raised him. If he were a republican...he'd be white.
L

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 01:30:52 PM »
How come Obama is considered black...his mom is white and she raised him. If he were a republican...he'd be white.

He is a zebra.

If Zimmerman is a white hispanic, then that failureinthewhitehouse is a white black.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 01:35:55 PM »
How can two people, who are old friends, dare to have different opinions?

Hey guys.

Did you know that you can only be friends with those who think EXACTLY like you? Who have the SAME opinions as you do?

Libtard logic.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 01:46:24 PM »
He is a zebra.

If Zimmerman is a white hispanic, then that failureinthewhitehouse is a white black.

Yep. It was hilarious watching the media try so hard to make him white. Once it was clear he was not the white characature they wanted him to be, they invented the whole ' white hispanic' term that has never bee  used before, just to keep at least SOME white in there.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 03:03:09 PM »

No.  Maybe in another country he'd be considered white but not here.  The "one drop theory" still seems to be in effect here in the USA.

Actually, I'm wondering about how light someone with african blood needs to be before most Americans will consider that person white.  Hmmm.  Is Blake Griffin white?

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 03:04:26 PM »
How can two people, who are old friends, dare to have different opinions?

Hey guys.

Did you know that you can only be friends with those who think EXACTLY like you? Who have the SAME opinions as you do?

Libtard logic.

liberals HATE those who don't follow their ideology.  so do conservatives.  but liberals make no bones about hating those who don't follow their ideology.  conservatives try to play it off like they don't.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 03:35:31 PM »
Sheesh, I gotta (uncharacteristically) go with the righties, here, Vince:  Abbot might be a POS, but I don't see what the relationship between Abbot and his gay friend from college has to do with it.

(Keep posting about politics, though, mang -- I like your slant on things, usually.)

BTW, poor Abbot but how the fuck does a tree fall on you while you're jogging?  Stuff like that will make a ninja wonder about Karma, that's for sure.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 04:55:53 PM »
The other resident Canadian wackjob weighted in Vince...its unanimous, you are an idiot. Abbot will be the next governor of Texas not to fix the roads and over crowed highways in this shitty state. I'm a conservative and Texas is the redstate  mecca but it blows moosecock.   
L

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 05:00:17 PM »
No.  Maybe in another country he'd be considered white but not here.  The "one drop theory" still seems to be in effect here in the USA.

Actually, I'm wondering about how light someone with african blood needs to be before most Americans will consider that person white.  Hmmm.  Is Blake Griffin white?

Riddle me this, how is Zimmerman white? ;D

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 05:05:13 PM »
Wow...what as asshole

WACO, Texas (AP) — When Greg Abbott was paralyzed by a fallen tree in 1984, Mark Phariss flew 500 miles to his friend's bedside. They were law school pals who swapped stories over dinner, job leads and airport rides, and they still exchange Christmas cards today.

Their friendship is now at an extraordinary junction: Phariss, who is gay, filed the Texas lawsuit that a federal judge used this week to strike down the state's ban on same-sex marriage, which Abbott, Texas' attorney general, has vowed to defend all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Phariss, who never told Abbott he was gay, echoed the sentiment — even as Abbott works to uphold what Phariss considers to be discrimination.

"If I was only friends with the people I agreed with, particularly in Texas, I wouldn't have many friends," Phariss told The Associated Press.

Texas joined Oklahoma and Utah as the latest deeply conservative states that want to take its newly quashed gay marriage bans to the Supreme Court. A federal judge in San Antonio ruled Wednesday that Texas had no "rational" reason to deny same-sex couples the right to marry, but declined to enforce his decision pending Abbott's appeal.

Whatever the outcome, the history between Abbott and Phariss adds an intriguing backdrop to one of the most divisive social issues in the U.S.

Abbott made clear at a campaign stop Friday he doesn't approve of Phariss' quest to wed his longtime partner. He also expressed no sympathy at the thought of refusing his old friend the right to marry his partner of 16 years, Victor Holmes, an Air Force veteran.

"When the constitution is upheld, we're all winners," Abbott said.

Abbott said Friday he only realized Phariss was gay when his name appeared on the lawsuit, and said Phariss' sexuality doesn't change his opinion of him.

"It shows that on some of the hot-button issues of the day, we can have a civil discourse without harsh rhetoric," Abbott said.

Phariss and Abbott first met at Vanderbilt Law School. Phariss described two southerners — Phariss is from Oklahoma — and ideological opposites drawn together by their enjoyment of discussing politics over breezy dinners.

After leaving Vanderbilt, Abbott was crushed by a falling tree in Houston while out jogging. He was permanently paralyzed from the waist down, and upon hearing the news, Phariss flew to the hospital and spent two days with Abbott. He bought books to help him pass the time and kept Abbott's wife and mother company. A year later, Phariss said Abbott helped line up a job offer for him.

In the 1990s, when Abbott entered politics and was elected a state judge and later a Texas Supreme Court justice, he flew to San Antonio for a campaign stop. Phariss picked him up at the airport and drove him to meetings and a fundraiser.

Phariss, now 58 and an attorney near Dallas, said he was not out at Vanderbilt. He dated girls and didn't ask out men, and didn't publicly reveal he was gay until his mid-30s.

Phariss said that while he and Abbott never discussed gay rights, he never detected hatred from his friend — who is now one of Texas' most conservative political leaders.

"I don't perceive from him any animus toward gay people," Phariss said. "I do remember, either in law school or after, (talking) about someone we thought might have been gay — we just kind of speculated whether a certain person might be gay. He didn't seem to have an issue with that."

Along with other same-sex couples, Phariss and Holmes sued the state after being denied a wedding license on their anniversary last August.

Phariss compared his continued embrace of Abbott to family members, including his twin sister, who don't support him but whom he still loves.

Abbott did.

I forgot, the gay play book is that anyone that doesn't agree with you is an asshole.  You just demonstrated that you are the asshole. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 05:23:09 PM »
I'm not seeing it either

Abbott (more likely his wife) didn't send a Christmas card to this guy

Who gives a shit

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 05:52:16 PM »
Riddle me this, how is Zimmerman white? ;D

Did I imply that I'd think Zimm was white?  (Because I never said that, I don't think.)

Do I think Zimm's white, though?   What are my ethnic choices?

According to biblical folks, per my recent reading, there are only 3 races:  White, Black, and Mongoloid (Asian, pretty much).  Not sure where Hispanics fit into that.

Pretty sure I've read that Zimm is half-white on his dad's side and half-peruvian on his mom's side.  Not sure if there's any sort of "one drop theory" when it comes to Hispanics in the USA.  FWIW, I grew up in CA where it's not uncommon to meet "white-washed" full blooded mexicans that looked and acted and were considered white.

Personally, I think I'd consider Zimmerman white from the way he speaks, but I haven't heard him speak much.  Does he even speak any spanish?

Isn't he half-white and half-peruvian?

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 05:58:18 PM »
Did I imply that I'd think Zimm was white?  (Because I never said that, I don't think.)

Do I think Zimm's white, though?   What are my ethnic choices?

According to biblical folks, per my recent reading, there are only 3 races:  White, Black, and Mongoloid (Asian, pretty much).  Not sure where Hispanics fit into that.

Pretty sure I've read that Zimm is half-white on his dad's side and half-peruvian on his mom's side.  Not sure if there's any sort of "one drop theory" when it comes to Hispanics in the USA.  FWIW, I grew up in CA where it's not uncommon to meet "white-washed" full blooded mexicans that looked and acted and were considered white.

Personally, I think I'd consider Zimmerman white from the way he speaks, but I haven't heard him speak much.  Does he even speak any spanish?

Isn't he half-white and half-peruvian?

White, Peruvian and some African ancestry.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 06:18:11 PM »
White, Peruvian and some African ancestry.

If some > 1/16th, then like the ace of spades, I'd say. ;D

Actually, how the ethnicity of multi-racial people is determined in different parts of the world is a really interesting subject (if you ask me). 

Even the this wiki page made for some interesting reading:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

What I thought was cool:
In December 2002, the Washington Post ran a story on the one-drop theory and differences in Latin American practices. In the reporter's opinion:

"Someone with Sidney Poitier's deep chocolate complexion would be considered white if his hair were straight and he made a living in a profession. That might not seem so odd, Brazilians say, when you consider that the fair-complexioned actresses Rashida Jones ('Parks and Recreation' and 'The Office') and Lena Horne are identified as black in the United States."

According to Jose Neinstein, a native white Brazilian and executive director of the Brazilian-American Cultural Institute in Washington, in the United States, "If you are not quite white, then you are black." However, in Brazil, "If you are not quite black, then you are white." Neinstein recalls talking with a man of Poitier's complexion when in Brazil: "We were discussing ethnicity, and I asked him, 'What do you think about this from your perspective as a black man?' He turned his head to me and said, 'I'm not black,' ... It simply paralyzed me. I couldn't ask another question."

And:
In the United States, European Americans usually classified people of partial American Indian descent as Indian, in a similar example of hypodescent. In the early years of these types of unions and marriages, the fathers were usually white and the mothers Indian. As many American Indian tribes had matrilineal descent systems, within those communities, the children were considered by tradition to belong to the mother's clan. It was tradition for the mother's eldest brother to play a major role in the life of all her children, more important than that of the father within the tribe, as the uncle looked out for the children within his clan, the father belonging to a different clan. Among such tribes, mixed-race children could be absorbed into the culture, as had been the case traditionally with captives of any race who were adopted.

But, among other tribes who had a patrilineal system, such as the Omaha, the full-bloods considered a half-breed a "white man" if he had a white father, which was their application of hypodescent. Half-breeds could belong officially to the Omaha tribe only if they were formally adopted into it by a male member.