Author Topic: Guilty conscience after abusing liver & kidneys & heart for 20+ years?  (Read 1876 times)

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
This thread is specifically about Branch & Jay. Both started competing against each other way back in 1993.

It's 2014, it looks like Jay has dramatically curtailed his drug use. Branch is still going.

At 40 years old, I bet that they both feel a little bit guilty for having putting high levels of chemical pressure, chemical damage on their bodies. At age 19-20 Im sure that they thought that they'd be juicing for 10 years tops. But they have both done twenty years worth of damage.

Do you think that they feel guilty in anyway (drug related)? Or has that part of them grown numb?

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
I think so, Levrone admitted in one of his blogs at how bad he felt when he took steroids and used to worry about repercussions and pray...etc. This is reflected in the direction he has taken now, he seems almost anti-Steroid use as he doesn't even seem to be breaking trt if he's even on that, in comparison to Dorian Yates from the same era who is clearly still on the juice.

Guys llike Jay and Branch probably know alot more about other competitors' health issues which aren't publicised to guys like us, how many have mysterioulsy dissapeared and then dropped, some we only learn retrospectively when they die that they had been battling an illness caused by steroids e.g. Nasser El Sonbaty.

20 years of being that heavily muscled alone without the direct steroid siude effects, would shorten anyones life considerably.
S

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
Same thing is warranted for protein abuse and other supplements that mostly contain completely unnatural chemicals. People instinctively think it can't be good, but they don't listen because they are under the influence of product marketing.

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
what happened to darrem charles btw???

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
The industry assumes that people are to stupid to take care of them selves.

the trainer

This thread is specifically about Branch & Jay. Both started competing against each other way back in 1993.

It's 2014, it looks like Jay has dramatically curtailed his drug use. Branch is still going.

At 40 years old, I bet that they both feel a little bit guilty for having putting high levels of chemical pressure, chemical damage on their bodies. At age 19-20 Im sure that they thought that they'd be juicing for 10 years tops. But they have both done twenty years worth of damage.

Do you think that they feel guilty in anyway (drug related)? Or has that part of them grown numb?

So what these guy are living their dreams and doing what makes them happy, what about people that abuse alcohol and drugs for 20 years plus bad diet, its better you think about those type of people cause that kind of damage is even worst plus they are not achieving anything.

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
these guys DO know the health risks involved

its the choice they make

no one is holding a gun to their head

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
these guys DO know the health risks involved

its the choice they make

no one is holding a gun to their head

I spoke to someone who placed in the Arnold and even though he is young he knows his body is taking a beating.  He is very driven to be a successful IFBB competitor and fully understands the risks that go along with it.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
They knew the risks as young men, but never truly understood. Saying you know you're going to die is one thing, hitting 30 and realizing its inevitable is another. They think it's only temporary. Shit, Jay said he'd be retired by 32 or something in an FHM mag I read in college, and that was ten years ago. These guys live in the now.   

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
They knew the risks as young men, but never truly understood. Saying you know you're going to die is one thing, hitting 30 and realizing its inevitable is another. They think it's only temporary. Shit, Jay said he'd be retired by 32 or something in an FHM mag I read in college, and that was ten years ago. These guys live in the now.   

The attention they get is as addictive and they have a tough time leaving the limelight.  They see the people dropping around them like we do but the blinders are on.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Re: Guilty conscience after abusing liver & kidneys & heart for 20+ years?
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 05:54:27 PM »
I doubt he feels a shred of guilt or regret. His alternative was to be a prison guard and live a very ordinary lack luster and even boring life. Bodybuilding made him a millionaire, got to travel the world and meet all kinds of people, and he got to make a very good living doing what he loves. I'd rather die at 55 living achieving my dreams then live to 90 and not making a mark or achieving anything special. 

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 06:07:04 PM »
I'll take the 90 years.  So would you the minute you stare at mortality

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 06:14:35 PM »
I'll take the 90 years.  So would you the minute you stare at mortality

As a friend would say, people desire immortality but all too often settle for immorality because its so much easier to attain.  Bodybuilding and Hollywood come to mind.  I'm certain there's other examples as well. Weider made it to his 90s, did he not?

I imagine his only remorse was his own mortality.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 06:51:02 PM »
Jesus, I'd hate to live that long.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 07:01:50 PM »
I doubt he feels a shred of guilt or regret. His alternative was to be a prison guard and live a very ordinary lack luster and even boring life. Bodybuilding made him a millionaire, got to travel the world and meet all kinds of people, and he got to make a very good living doing what he loves. I'd rather die at 55 living achieving my dreams then live to 90 and not making a mark or achieving anything special. 

Guys like Jay are driven to succeed. He arrived at the top when Ronnie was there. So his career continued until he was the top guy and that took many years.

No one wants to die at 55, especially if he is rich!

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 08:28:14 PM »
I doubt Branch has the slightest bit of guilt.

Aside from talking to a couple people who know him personally and what I have seen on videos and whatnot I know nothing about the man but it just seems like hardcore bodybuilding is his passion and he is doing exactly what he wants.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 08:54:19 PM »

I doubt that many people who have kids or are happily married would give up 35 years of their life for the sake of livin' the dream.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 09:01:53 PM »
I don't think Jay feels guilty. But with the pains he's most likely feeling from a hepo liver, and ailing kidneys, there's no doubt he's feeling regret knowing that he will have to be on a transplant list sooner rather than later...

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 10:19:34 PM »
Branch Warren believes in Jesus and therefore will go to heaven. So dying is not too much of a concern if you end up heavenly paradise afterwards.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 10:21:28 PM »
Branch Warren believes in Jesus and therefore will go to heaven. So dying is not too much of a concern if you end up heavenly paradise afterwards.

I wonder if his soul has the same gnome-like attributes.

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 10:46:47 PM »

I'm sorry. Am i supposed to feel sorry for a  guy who got paid his whole life to lift weights and train all day? lol.
There are  Gym rats out there with better physiques, who you will never even read or hear about. Those are the guys my hats are off to. The silent freaks, the every day lifters with real jobs, hell even the guys here. Fuck pro bodybuilding and every one in it. Its the guys who do this for absolutely nothing that motivate the hell out of me.
l

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 10:51:43 PM »
I'm sorry. Am i supposed to feel sorry for a  guy who got paid his whole life to lift weights and train all day? lol.
There are  Gym rats out there with better physiques, who you will never even read or hear about. Those are the guys my hats are off to. The silent freaks, the every day lifters with real jobs, hell even the guys here. Fuck pro bodybuilding and every one in it. Its the guys who do this for absolutely nothing that motivate the hell out of me.

Great post.  The real bodybuilders aren't the guys who step on stage.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 12:39:32 AM »
As a friend would say, people desire immortality but all too often settle for immorality because its so much easier to attain.  Bodybuilding and Hollywood come to mind.  I'm certain there's other examples as well. Weider made it to his 90s, did he not?

I imagine his only remorse was his own mortality.
I find the thought of immortality for more traumatic than mortality.
V

Ivan Drago

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 12:47:05 AM »

Yeah, you would, wouldn't you, your dingofucked arse is gonna burn in hell like a porker at a BBQ.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 12:47:59 AM »

Same here.