Author Topic: What's the point of working your ass off your whole life?  (Read 22721 times)

kofo

• Getbig II
What's the point of working your ass off your whole life?
« on: March 07, 2014, 04:37:06 AM »
Why do people spend so much time at work.

Why not spend less on house, car and stupid stuff, and work less ?

That extra time could be spent with friends, family, excercising, making healthy meals, engaging in hobbies and interests, talking a walk, trekking and camping, fishing, hunting, travel. I mean, just living your life...

Are we brainwashed by the system from early age. Having to spend most of the day in school and then do homework. Like that we should not develop time comsuming interests that could conflict future working "career".
The media and commercials brainwash us into this comsumer spending trap. But I am starting to wonder if it really makes us happy.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
Re: What's the point of working your ass off your whole life?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 04:38:38 AM »

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 04:45:00 AM »

People put their life on hold for many years to get that pile. When its time to "live" and spend they dont know any other way than car and house. Because they have worked all their life and have never developed any interests. Then they say things like: "I love my job so much it doesnt feel like work to me" Trying to justify a wasted life.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 04:49:32 AM »
People put their life on hold for many years to get that pile. When its time to "live" and spend they dont know any other way than car and house. Because they have worked all their life and have never developed any interests. Then they say things like: "I love my job so much it doesnt feel like work to me" Trying to justify a wasted life.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 04:53:35 AM »

That extra time could be spent with friends, family, excercising, making healthy meals, engaging in hobbies and interests, talking a walk, trekking and camping, fishing, hunting, travel. I mean, just living your life...

I clock 60 hours a week on average, but I like my work, its in a field I have a personal interest in and its in a field which allows me to earn more than my peers workign just as hard in other industries bar the successful business owners. Money doesn't make me happy but gives me peace of mind, I don't worry about mortgage payments and taxes and bills...etc.

I don't want to stay at home and go trekking...etc, well I do. But I also want to travel across the planet once a year, something I have been able to do for a good number of years lately and exprience other parts of the world and see it with my own eyes. I was taught you don't get something for nothing and hard work is somethign to be proud off, so when I am driving my Merc on the weekend, or sitting in a top notch restaurant with a smoking hot chick on the weekend or flying to another exotic continent for two weeks exploring, it feels well deserved and earned.
S

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 05:01:17 AM »
I clock 60 hours a week on average,

flying to another exotic continent for two weeks exploring, it feels well deserved and earned.

Sounds very boring compared to 6 months of backpacking around the world.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 05:04:24 AM »

It's a means to and end.  If there was a better way to spend less time in the office, but have the means to do what you want, I'm sure most would.
Y

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 05:11:21 AM »
ideally you get a very high salary but live like you have a very low one

so you have a ton of savings and can retire  ???

Or just live low and work less, with less savings of course. But with a well lived life ?

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 05:13:05 AM »

An American businessman was standing at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish.

“How long it took you to catch them?” The American asked.

“Only a little while.” The Mexican replied.

“Why don’t you stay out longer and catch more fish?” The American then asked.

“I have enough to support my family’s immediate needs.” The Mexican said.

“But,” The American then asked, “What do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life, senor.”

The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds you buy a bigger boat, and with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats.”

“Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the consumers, eventually opening your own can factory. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But senor, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15-20 years.”

“But what then, senor?”

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO (Initial Public Offering) and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions.”

“Millions, senor? Then what?”

The American said slowly, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos…”

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 05:13:24 AM »

Are we brainwashed by the system from early age. Having to spend most of the day in school and then do homework. Like that we should not develop time comsuming interests that could conflict future working "career".
The media and commercials brainwash us into this comsumer spending trap. But I am starting to wonder if it really makes us happy.

They don't do it because they want to, due to the inequality deliberately built into the system, the majority have no choice but to rent their labour to the privileged classes for their whole lives just to survive.  The privileged classes tell them what to think and feel from the moment they are born, and due to this the average punter believes this is just the way the world works and feels grateful for it.  Essentially,  they adopt the mindset of the ruling class, hence the reason they never rebel against such oppression, as they don't even know they are enslaved (because that's what the ruling classes have made them believe).  The ruling classes promote downward envy and keep the underclasses divided and blaming one another for their circumstances to distract them from the real culprits behind their lack of opportunity and privilege, the ruling class. Hope this helps.
V

sososue

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 05:16:06 AM »

An American businessman was standing at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish.

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life, senor.”

The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds you buy a bigger boat, and with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats.”

“Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the consumers, eventually opening your own can factory. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

“But what then, senor?”

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO (Initial Public Offering) and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions.”

The American said slowly, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos…”

Love that story.

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 05:17:32 AM »
They don't do it because they want to, due to the inbuilt inequality built into the system, the majority have no choice but to rent their labour to the privileged classes for their whole lives just to survive.  The privileged classes tell them what to think and feel from the moment they are born, and due to this the average punter believes this is just the way the world works and feels grateful for it.  Essentially,  they adopt the mindset of the ruling class, hence the reason they never rebel against such oppression, as they don't even know they are enslaved.  The ruling classes promote downward envy and keep the underclasses divided and blaming one another for their circumstances to distract them from the real culprits of their lack of opportunity and privilege, the ruling class. Hope this helps.

Agreed, most of us could downsize our posessions and work less. But it would mean the end of the Western world.

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 05:19:40 AM »
it depends what you wants...

some ppl enjoy working and being able to boast and moan about how much they work

We are brainwashed into working hard. It starts when you are a kid in school "do your homework..."

sososue

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 05:24:08 AM »
haha yes it's funny

reality is probably different

It isnt funny at all.
I went to the caribbean on holiday a few years ago and the hotel we stayed in was just down the beach from a small fishing village, the people there lived and did exactly what we were doing every day for free yet we had paid £3000 for the privledge.

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 05:25:03 AM »
If you want to live the good life stay single, don't have any kids and save your money

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 05:29:55 AM »
If you want to live the good life stay single, don't have any kids and save your money

I dont know, I say that having a family is the best excuse to work full time.

If you are a single person that dont want kids and family, working full time is just a waste of your life.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 05:30:42 AM »
Or just live low and work less, with less savings of course. But with a well lived life ?

Why would I hire or contract you at all?  Wanting to work less hours means you'll want to charge more per hour, and wanting to do anything but work means you'll be less informed, skilled, and experienced than someone with an interest in his field who practices his art daily.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 05:31:57 AM »
i fucked up

i'm single

but i have a kid  :(

Sucks you feel that way about your child.  You should be experiencing the joys of parenthood.
Y

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 05:38:52 AM »
Why would I hire or contract you at all?  Wanting to work less hours means you'll want to charge more per hour, and wanting to do anything but work means you'll be less informed, skilled, and experienced than someone with an interest in his field who practices his art daily.

Of course not. No one would expect to get a higher wage per hour. The whole point is to downsize, spend less money, to work less.

Your worries about beeing less informed etc is a typical anxiety reaction to the unknown. In most prefessions this would not be an issue other than in theory.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 05:45:23 AM »
Are you that grasshopper that keeps asking the ant for shelter when it rains and food when you are starving?

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 05:53:51 AM »

“But what then, senor?”

Very very good.  ;)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 06:08:02 AM »
Of course not. No one would expect to get a higher wage per hour. The whole point is to downsize, spend less money, to work less.

Your worries about beeing less informed etc is a typical anxiety reaction to the unknown. In most prefessions this would not be an issue other than in theory.

Nope.  From brain surgery to ditch digging, the more time you log the better you get.  Interestingly, this also means you can charge more since you're more productive and produce a better quality result.   

I'm with you on not spending money frivolously.  "Don't waste money" isn't amazingly insightful financial advice tho.

It just sounds like you hate what you do, fella.  Contemplate this.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2014, 06:32:33 AM »

“But what then, senor?”

Reminds me of stories I hear about lotto winners when asked what are they going to do and they say move to a small island and relax and I think, why can't you do that now?  Why wait to win the lotto?
Just as sad as those people that pinch pennies and live their lives like poor people to save away money so they don't ever become poor.  The irony is lost on them.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2014, 06:37:47 AM »
I clock 60 hours a week on average, but I like my work, its in a field I have a personal interest in and its in a field which allows me to earn more than my peers workign just as hard in other industries bar the successful business owners. Money doesn't make me happy but gives me peace of mind, I don't worry about mortgage payments and taxes and bills...etc.

I don't want to stay at home and go trekking...etc, well I do. But I also want to travel across the planet once a year, something I have been able to do for a good number of years lately and exprience other parts of the world and see it with my own eyes. I was taught you don't get something for nothing and hard work is somethign to be proud off, so when I am driving my Merc on the weekend, or sitting in a top notch restaurant with a smoking hot chick on the weekend or flying to another exotic continent for two weeks exploring, it feels well deserved and earned.

what field are you in
T

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2014, 06:39:21 AM »

No, not the case at all. Get a wife who is similarly driven, and make money.  Then, invest this money, and make more money.  I could not have what I have without me and my wife as a team.  I know it sounds gay, but it really works for us.  We do what we want in our spare time, and don't really have to think about anything before we buy it.  We pretty much do hat we want.  Before, when I was single, I didn't really have the same goals.  It was going out, drinking, chasing pussy, and doing the occasional cocaine, lol.  I know that might sound like fun, but I can honestly tell you, that having an end goal, with a partner, is something that is really cool.  You just have to find that person who compliments you and drives you to be better.