Author Topic: What's the point of working your ass off your whole life?  (Read 22683 times)

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
Re: What's the point of working your ass off your whole life?
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2014, 06:29:37 PM »
A ski vacation isn't expensive is what I was pointing out.

You're right, it's not.

forillagorilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2014, 06:32:51 PM »
People put their life on hold for many years to get that pile. When its time to "live" and spend they dont know any other way than car and house. Because they have worked all their life and have never developed any interests. Then they say things like: "I love my job so much it doesnt feel like work to me" Trying to justify a wasted life.

If you truly love your work - it's NOT work... And if you don't LOVE your work you should immediately quit

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2014, 11:12:14 PM »
If you truly love your work - it's NOT work... And if you don't LOVE your work you should immediately quit
best advice in thread.

maybe not quit immediately. .. but definitely find another job you enjoy.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2014, 04:14:19 PM »
i work 2-3 days a week for the most part/ 8 hr days.

last year i worked 1200 hours in total.

i live modestly on a property i never thought i'd own. i am able to go away a couple times a year.

i cant say i'll never have a lambo or any other kind of status symbol of that nature, mostly because i dont desire one. im sure if i applied myself i could.

for some reason i put a higher value on my time than money. i could have more money. but then id have less time. i have everything in life i could ever want, so the drive to put in x hours of time extra to make more of an income isnt there. basically semi retired at a young age. i have been for 7 years now. i could keep doing what i do until the day they put me in a box and i could die a perfectly happy man.

i think at the end of the day its doing what makes you happy that makes you happy. if working 60 hr weeks and being at the top of your game in your profession is a driving motivator for you, and finding balance in there for your personal life, regardless of what you make id say your successful.

like wise if your a blue collar family man who works for the betterment of his family, who has 3 kids that he gets up at 6am to take to hockey on weekends and he loves doing it i'd say hes successful too.

it comes down to making enough to do those things. and for a lot of people, living in this society, and those who wish to continue to live in this society with the things that everyone else has, it is necessary to work 40hr weeks.

b

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2014, 07:08:17 PM »
5 ) Wife cheats on you and divorces you.
6 ) Live in a shitty rented apartment sustaining yourself on instant noodles.
7 ) Pay child support and alimony to your wife.
8 ) Your wife lives in your house with her new boyfriend.

;D

You apparently have bad taste in women. I've been happily married for nearly 12 years.

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2014, 06:05:06 AM »

I hear that and I can picture exactly where you'll be in 20years... driving an old car, renting an apt, and working from paycheck to paycheck for somebody else alongside kids who are 20-30yrs younger than you... depressed, bitter, and resentful of those who live the lives you wish you could, trying to justify your own laziness, lack of ambition, lack of forethought, and deep seeded fear of risk (that was probably handed down from your father).

For every happy, fit, ripped and tanned surfer bum out there I can give you 10 of the unhappy, unfit, two hours a day commuter, Type 2 diabetic, office worker types.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2014, 06:41:34 AM »

i live modestly on a property i never thought i'd own. i am able to go away a couple times a year.

i cant say i'll never have a lambo or any other kind of status symbol of that nature, mostly because i dont desire one. im sure if i applied myself i could.

for some reason i put a higher value on my time than money. i could have more money. but then id have less time. i have everything in life i could ever want, so the drive to put in x hours of time extra to make more of an income isnt there. basically semi retired at a young age. i have been for 7 years now. i could keep doing what i do until the day they put me in a box and i could die a perfectly happy man.

i think at the end of the day its doing what makes you happy that makes you happy. if working 60 hr weeks and being at the top of your game in your profession is a driving motivator for you, and finding balance in there for your personal life, regardless of what you make id say your successful.

like wise if your a blue collar family man who works for the betterment of his family, who has 3 kids that he gets up at 6am to take to hockey on weekends and he loves doing it i'd say hes successful too.

it comes down to making enough to do those things. and for a lot of people, living in this society, and those who wish to continue to live in this society with the things that everyone else has, it is necessary to work 40hr weeks.

that's a great outlook bro
T

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2014, 02:06:38 PM »
For every happy, fit, ripped and tanned surfer bum out there I can give you 10 of the unhappy, unfit, two hours a day commuter, Type 2 diabetic, office worker types.

who pays the surfer bums rent? buys them food? going from dumb woman to dumb woman to support their lifestyle..

I'm a man... i'll pay for myself, thanks.

something called a 'work ethic' that seems to be lacking in these lazy fucking bums.

dustin

« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2014, 02:26:49 PM »
who pays the surfer bums rent? buys them food? going from dumb woman to dumb woman to support their lifestyle..

something called a 'work ethic' that seems to be lacking in these lazy fucking bums.

Yep. People have a poor person and worthless piece of shit mentality these days. Everyone wants to cross their arms, make stupid fucking frowny faces and don't want to work because of "disparity" and because billionaires make billions. What a bunch of stupid pieces of shit. They have no worth ethic whatsoever. They'll gladly take out $100-$200k in student loans though, rely in income assistance, welfares and subsidies and still pout all day. They don't understand that it's the tax dollars of the hard working folks that pay for it. They just have this privileged attitude and expect people to humor their masters degree in lesbian psychology and give them a 6 figure salary on the spot. I hate looking these fuckers in the eyes when I get my coffee at Starbucks. Worthless pieces of shit.

My grandparents came to this country with nothing and busted their asses their entire lives to give us a good foundation to start from. And my wife's parents came to Canada with literally a $20 bill and nothing else. Now all of us kids have homes, careers, educations and don't own hundreds of thousands in debt and back taxes like a lot of fuckers our age. They bitch and moan all day long but don't realize that there are people who wake up and their biggest concern is whether or not they'll eat today. Don't take this shit for granted, fuckers. You can go out and become millionaires, but instead people sit on the computers using their borrowed Wifi connection, pissed at the world and waiting for minimum wage to get raised to $20 an hour (as if it will solve any financial crisis whatsoever). I just can't stand the lazy fucks that I encounter on a daily basis. Good on the Getbiggers who work hard and relax hard. Nothing wrong with sitting back and feeling good after a hard days's work. But when you leach off of government assistance and complain 24/7, you deserve to be shot in the head so the rest of society can move forward without being anchored down.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2014, 02:27:21 PM »
ESF what kind of job do you have? you seem to be a baller

engineer?

surgeon?

lawyer?

???

I run a few businesses... one of which is a personal trainer & nutritionist (cpt/csn).. the others I don't go into.

I'm not a baller. I like nice things and recognize the value, or lack of value in things. (would you rather pay $800 for a gold invictia? or $800 for a stainless steel Oris?-type of stuff)

you just need to figure out what's important and what's not, and evaluate your priorties... not "you", but people in general.

most people think in terms of 'us and them'... what seperates 'you' from the 'rich' people? not a whole lot, once you figure it out. most people are afraid to take risks... they never sit down and figure out HOW they could afford the car/house/food/watch/tv/ect... they always wanted, instead they sit and daydream about how nice it'd be if they won the lottery.

get an idea and follow it through to the end. if it works, great, do it again... if it doesn't work, great, try something else.

there's a watch that has min/hour hands that say "remember, you will die"... so why do people wait and wait and wait to do what they could be doing today to live how they want to live? i'll never understand it.

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2014, 02:33:23 PM »
i fucked up

i'm single

but i have a kid  :(

at least that's cheaper than living WITH A WOMAN AND A KID

bitches cost so much money, their hair, skin cream this that this tjat it never ends
could be worse she could spend money on steriods and still look like a skinny-fat twink
p

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2014, 02:34:28 PM »
Yep. People have a poor person and worthless piece of shit mentality these days. Everyone wants to cross their arms, make stupid fucking frowny faces and don't want to work because of "disparity" and because billionaires make billions. What a bunch of stupid pieces of shit. They have no worth ethic whatsoever. They'll gladly take out $100-$200k in student loans though, rely in income assistance, welfares and subsidies and still pout all day. They don't understand that it's the tax dollars of the hard working folks that pay for it. They just have this privileged attitude and expect people to humor their masters degree in lesbian psychology and give them a 6 figure salary on the spot. I hate looking these fuckers in the eyes when I get my coffee at Starbucks. Worthless pieces of shit.

My grandparents came to this country with nothing and busted their asses their entire lives to give us a good foundation to start from. And my wife's parents came to Canada with literally a $20 bill and nothing else. Now all of us kids have homes, careers, educations and don't own hundreds of thousands in debt and back taxes like a lot of fuckers our age. They bitch and moan all day long but don't realize that there are people who wake up and their biggest concern is whether or not they'll eat today. Don't take this shit for granted, fuckers. You can go out and become millionaires, but instead people sit on the computers using their borrowed Wifi connection, pissed at the world and waiting for minimum wage to get raised to $20 an hour (as if it will solve any financial crisis whatsoever). I just can't stand the lazy fucks that I encounter on a daily basis. Good on the Getbiggers who work hard and relax hard. Nothing wrong with sitting back and feeling good after a hard days's work. But when you leach off of government assistance and complain 24/7, you deserve to be shot in the head so the rest of society can move forward without being anchored down.
amen.

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2014, 02:35:14 PM »

You wrote:  "working from paycheck to paycheck for somebody else alongside kids who are 20-30yrs younger than you" so I guess thats the surfer bum.

Other than that, are you so stuck in your mindset that you cant comprehend the work less, buy less, have more time mantra ? This whole " i'll pay for myself, thanks" argument got no meaning.

I get a feeling you think working a full week is a sacred duty, something holy.

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2014, 02:44:15 PM »

Why do you write this here ?

Its about working less L E S S

No doubt hardworkers like yourself are the cornerstone of North-America, exploited by the people at the bottom and the top.

D.O.U.P

• Getbig III
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2014, 02:50:13 PM »

Solid attitude man.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2014, 02:52:17 PM »

I don't like looking at poor people either. They give me the creeps. But if all goes to shit (it won't) and I have to work in Starbucks (I won't) to make ends meet (it won't) I would (I won't).

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2014, 02:54:59 PM »

No doubt hardworkers like yourself are the cornerstone of North-America, exploited by the people at the bottom and the top.

He's not exploited by anyone. He has the life he was, the money (for the most part) he wants, and he's able to do the things he wants.

Best of all, he doesn't have to mooch off anyone or demand that government give him anything.

The reason people like you complain about working is because you have yet to achieve anything.

Those who want things in life don't blubber about working less; they work MORE and actually GET what they want, whether it's possessions, a lifestyle, a physique, etc.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2014, 02:58:54 PM »
Great topic of conversation, some intelligent folks on Getbig these days. Quality posts by Dustin and No One in this thread  8)

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2014, 03:04:23 PM »
Why do people spend so much time at work.

Why not spend less on house, car and stupid stuff, and work less ?

That extra time could be spent with friends, family, excercising, making healthy meals, engaging in hobbies and interests, talking a walk, trekking and camping, fishing, hunting, travel. I mean, just living your life...

Are we brainwashed by the system from early age. Having to spend most of the day in school and then do homework. Like that we should not develop time comsuming interests that could conflict future working "career".
The media and commercials brainwash us into this comsumer spending trap. But I am starting to wonder if it really makes us happy.

All of this shit costs money, so people spend so much time at work to afford all of this shit.

Some people are blessed and don't have to work to afford all  of this, like Adonis or Cleanest Natural, but not the huge majority of people.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2014, 03:08:12 PM »
the ones who say 'work less, buy less, ect..' are the ones who realize they're never going to accomplish anything in life. they have never, and will never build something from the ground up. they'll never build a business that they can pass along to their children, let alone pay for their children's education.

their only hope in life is to work for somebody else... to work for the people they despise. the ones who disagree with the work less/buy less "ethic".

they despise people like Warren Buffet, even though they fail to see Warren Buffet is frugal.

they think because successful people have money, they don't live within their means and they just work more to buy more crap just to impress them.

have fun working at Costco for the rest of your life... always looking forward to your two weeks vacation and blowing every penny you've saved for months on that vacation, only to be broke as fuck and unable to put new tires on your car for another 6 months.

dustin

« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2014, 03:13:46 PM »

Work hard, smart, whatever. Just WORK and don't expect handouts.

Working smarter is the ultimate goal. But you need a foundation. You don't find a 6 figure income without taking baby steps. Your investments don't show stronger returns until you've built them up and learned the whatever game it is that you're playing. This is the ultimate goal, reducing work hours and the stress inherent in working hard. But what I'm saying is while we're young and capable, work hard and get this foundation setup. People need to be realistic and this is where people's plans fall apart. Some people don't try at all and they get frustrated, not working at all and going straight to the miserable stage.

You don't want to be bricklaying your financial goals in your older years when you're tired and incapable. That's why I'm making hay while the sun is shining. I don't want to plug in long hours for much longer. My daughter's just 4 months old and as she gets more mobile I'd like to start scaling back the hours. With the game plan I've setup I should be able to do this. Right now I'm young and energetic. I'm becoming angrier and crankier by the day, but as long as I keep plugging away at the current pace I'll be financially secured and able to scale back the work hours before I go batshit on someone for looking at me stupidly. ;D

All all seriousness though, working smarter is the way to go. If I had a turnkey operation I'd go for that in a heartbeat. But the safest bet is to keep my day job, put money away into retirement funds and other small investments, don't accrue consumer debt (this one killed me and kills tons of people) and not being a lazy bastard.

PS @ESFitness, apparently Costco pays a really competitive wage for scanning groceries and has full benefits. My brother-in-law works there and has just purchased his second home, so he's doing well. He hooks me up with a Costco card too which is awesome. I've never had to pay for my Costco card and he doesn't even live in Canada. Costco is good in my books! 8)

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2014, 03:14:52 PM »
it's good to be a stingy tight ass untill you got a lot of cash that can be invested

i think

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2014, 03:20:54 PM »
Work hard, smart, whatever. Just WORK and don't expect handouts.

Working smarter is the ultimate goal. But you need a foundation. You don't find a 6 figure income without taking baby steps. Your investments don't show stronger returns until you've built them up and learned the whatever game it is that you're playing. This is the ultimate goal, reducing work hours and the stress inherent in working hard. But what I'm saying is while we're young and capable, work hard and get this foundation setup. People need to be realistic and this is where people's plans fall apart. Some people don't try at all and they get frustrated, not working at all and going straight to the miserable stage.

You don't want to be bricklaying your financial goals in your older years when you're tired and incapable. That's why I'm making hay while the sun is shining. I don't want to plug in long hours for much longer. My daughter's just 4 months old and as she gets more mobile I'd like to start scaling back the hours. With the game plan I've setup I should be able to do this. Right now I'm young and energetic. I'm becoming angrier and crankier by the day, but as long as I keep plugging away at the current pace I'll be financially secured and able to scale back the work hours before I go batshit on someone for looking at me stupidly. ;D

All all seriousness though, working smarter is the way to go. If I had a turnkey operation I'd go for that in a heartbeat. But the safest bet is to keep my day job, put money away into retirement funds and other small investments, don't accrue consumer debt (this one killed me and kills tons of people) and not being a lazy bastard.

PS @ESFitness, apparently Costco pays a really competitive wage for scanning groceries and has full benefits. My brother-in-law works there and has just purchased his second home, so he's doing well. He hooks me up with a Costco card too which is awesome. I've never had to pay for my Costco card and he doesn't even live in Canada. Costco is good in my books! 8)

I know.. I dated a girl who works at Costco. she's about 10yrs older than me and has been working there for about 10years, and will probably never leave.

she lives at home in her parents house, pays them $300/month 'rent', relies on them to buy groceries and spends all her money on going out to eat and drink, then goes on vacations and trips to vegas every few months then she's broke.

needless to say I left her immature ass.

must be nice to be content with being somebody elses employee until you're 65yrs old.

if that was the life I wanted, I'd move to France and be a socialist.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2014, 03:22:13 PM »
I know.. I dated a girl who works at Costco. she's about 10yrs older than me and has been working there for about 10years, and will probably never leave.

she lives at home in her parents house, pays them $300/month 'rent', relies on them to buy groceries and spends all her money on going out to eat and drink, then goes on vacations and trips to vegas every few months then she's broke.

needless to say I left her immature ass.

must be nice to be content with being somebody elses employee until you're 65yrs old.

if that was the life I wanted, I'd move to France and be a socialist.
such a life is not worth living

might as well get a rope, find a tree and end it

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2014, 10:31:58 PM »
such a life is not worth living

might as well get a rope, find a tree and end it

what, shortage of bullets in 'cuba'  8)