Author Topic: What's the point of working your ass off your whole life?  (Read 23019 times)

Simple Simon

Re: What's the point of working your ass off your whole life?
« Reply #150 on: March 12, 2014, 12:56:56 PM »
why dont you go then?

im sure you could afford a 3k boat to pull tourists around in.

i always hear people say 'oh i wish i could go live in the caribbean'. lol go then! but they dont. they stayed glued to an existence they dont want out of fear of the unknown.

you need to find peace in yourself before you can truly appreciate paradise. when you have this, paradise is where ever you choose to be, not a place you need to go.

Reason most people do it is because deep down its a fucking boring existence, who wants to get up every day towing a load of fuckwits around at the back of a boat?
Grass isnt always greener.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #151 on: March 13, 2014, 07:24:16 AM »
Last summer though I flipped a few pallets upside down and filled them with herbs.

Make sure they're not treated wood.  Most pallets would be, as well as having a long history of fumigation.  They use all sorts of nasty shit in treating lumber.  CCA, for ex, stands for copper/chromium/arsenate.

I'd just dig in whatever is required into the dirt, if anything, and go to town from seed or by transplant.  If you need edging to keep grass out I'd go something masonry.  The ever-popular 'sleepers' are also a bad idea imo.  There's no knowing what they're leaching.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #152 on: March 13, 2014, 07:35:41 AM »
Something like that, yes. Only one bedroom would suffice for me, the wife and I are not having kids anyway. But a big-ass barn is certainly in the plans. I train mostly with dumbbells now anyway, but the wife is a machine lifter. :-X ;D

Also, part of the barn would be an actual stable for a few cows. Going to raise (and eat!) Dexters.

Chickens is as far as my ambition goes.  I don't think I could kill a cow.  :-\  Unless it was an asshole cow or something.

Just putting this out there.  Instead of beef cows you could do dairy cows for milk.  But instead of cows you could raise lactating women.  It's an untapped market.

dustin

« Reply #153 on: March 13, 2014, 08:06:07 AM »
Make sure they're not treated wood.  Most pallets would be, as well as having a long history of fumigation.  They use all sorts of nasty shit in treating lumber.  CCA, for ex, stands for copper/chromium/arsenate.

I'd just dig in whatever is required into the dirt, if anything, and go to town from seed or by transplant.  If you need edging to keep grass out I'd go something masonry.  The ever-popular 'sleepers' are also a bad idea imo.  There's no knowing what they're leaching.

lol no worries, I know that. I think most boners who are dumb enough to use treated wood for edible planters would sooner buy something from Home Depot. But it was really quick and simple and actually looked pretty esthetic in the end. My in-laws have shitloads of mints, basils and cilantro so I would make tons and tons of salad rolls. They've also got lots of exotic Chinese herbs that you can't find in stores so I always take cuttings for things like that too.

Feels good to go in the backyard, snip a few buckets of herbs, rinse 'em and make an awesome meal.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #154 on: March 13, 2014, 09:29:05 AM »
lol no worries, I know that. I think most boners who are dumb enough to use treated wood for edible planters would sooner buy something from Home Depot. But it was really quick and simple and actually looked pretty esthetic in the end. My in-laws have shitloads of mints, basils and cilantro so I would make tons and tons of salad rolls. They've also got lots of exotic Chinese herbs that you can't find in stores so I always take cuttings for things like that too.

Feels good to go in the backyard, snip a few buckets of herbs, rinse 'em and make an awesome meal.

Yeah, I found herbs way easier than veggies and gave a much better return by way of quality and cost over shop bought, not to mention immediate availability, which rocks.

Except for cilantro.  I've tried for several seasons to 'walk' the seed by having like 8 or 10 patches on the go because it gets so damn hot here.  Still end up buying the stuff sometimes.

None of those benefits applied to basic veggies so I more or less gave them up except for artichokes, which I really like.  Still keen to try my hand at berries (none wild here) and fruits.  

dustin

« Reply #155 on: March 13, 2014, 09:34:11 AM »
Yeah, I found herbs way easier than veggies and gave a much better return by way of quality and cost over shop bought, not to mention immediate availability, which rocks.

Except for cilantro.  I've tried for several seasons to 'walk' the seed by having like 8 or 10 patches on the go because it gets so damn hot here.  Still end up buying the stuff sometimes.

None of those benefits applied to basic veggies so I more or less gave them up except for artichokes, which I really like.  Still keen to try my hand at berries (none wild here) and fruits.  

I came to the same conclusion. Growing veggies was a novelty that wore off super quickly. We had like 20 different types of tomato plants which did all right though. We met tons of generous gardeners that were eager to help us and gave us cuttings and small plants. I really liked the cherry tomatoes, but everything else could pretty much fuck off. It was the herbs that were the best.

Any time I was in the backyard, I'd grab a handful of mint and rub it in my hands to release the scent. Holy fuck, does it ever smell nice. I can't wait until the weather is nicer and I can clean off the BBQ. I miss sitting on the deck listening to the BBQ sizzling, cold beer in hand and a shitload of delicious herbs filling the air with aroma. That was the best way to get me to eat my veggies - toss in a fuckton of random herbs with a bunch of garden veggies. Not a huge veggie fan, but doing this let me kill bucket loads of veggies. I was shitting like a champ with all that fiber. 8)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #156 on: March 13, 2014, 10:10:08 AM »
Become self employed if possible. "Work" should be a passion.

Just not possible for majority.  Work is something you don't mind doing each day.  Work being a pasion happens for very few....if you got it then great.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #157 on: March 13, 2014, 10:11:24 AM »

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #158 on: March 13, 2014, 10:15:14 AM »
Why do people spend so much time at work.

Why not spend less on house, car and stupid stuff, and work less ?

That extra time could be spent with friends, family, excercising, making healthy meals, engaging in hobbies and interests, talking a walk, trekking and camping, fishing, hunting, travel. I mean, just living your life...

Are we brainwashed by the system from early age. Having to spend most of the day in school and then do homework. Like that we should not develop time comsuming interests that could conflict future working "career".
The media and commercials brainwash us into this comsumer spending trap. But I am starting to wonder if it really makes us happy.

I enjoy working.  I do all I can to be as efficient as possible in my work.  Sometimes there are long days, but I work as smart as I can to prevent as many long days as possible.  

A man and woman in my local community just came off a 2-year world tour vacation.  Sounds awesome to those of us working.  They came back from vacation and started to plug back into reality....within a week she committed suicide because she wanted the fantasy to last forever and knew her 2-year vacation was over (most likely permanently).  

People have to work the majority of their lives....that's how it is.  Although, I do agree that living with less and spending less is a better strategy.  Working for the next material possession is dumb.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #159 on: March 13, 2014, 03:14:13 PM »
I enjoy working.  I do all I can to be as efficient as possible in my work.  Sometimes there are long days, but I work as smart as I can to prevent as many long days as possible.  

A man and woman in my local community just came off a 2-year world tour vacation.  Sounds awesome to those of us working.  They came back from vacation and started to plug back into reality....within a week she committed suicide because she wanted the fantasy to last forever and knew her 2-year vacation was over (most likely permanently).  

People have to work the majority of their lives....that's how it is.  Although, I do agree that living with less and spending less is a better strategy.  Working for the next material possession is dumb.
damn what a fucked up story

what kinda work u do fatty?
A

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #160 on: March 13, 2014, 03:17:48 PM »

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #161 on: March 13, 2014, 07:52:35 PM »
"Atlas Shrugged" should be required reading for you lazy fucking morons.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #162 on: March 13, 2014, 08:05:12 PM »
It's true.  If you can endure that book you can take anything.

'gah! gah! gah!'

Wolfox

• Getbig V
A

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: March 13, 2014, 09:12:06 PM »

Calogero should have listened to Deniro.

A

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2014, 09:46:56 PM »
Calogero should have listened to Deniro.

His kid version co-star is just as big of a fuck up

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #166 on: March 14, 2014, 02:08:09 AM »
Chickens is as far as my ambition goes.  I don't think I could kill a cow.  :-\  Unless it was an asshole cow or something.

Just putting this out there.  Instead of beef cows you could do dairy cows for milk.  But instead of cows you could raise lactating women.  It's an untapped market.

I honestly don't know yet if I could kill a cow yet. But it will be an interesting experiment. I'll probably first have a butcher teach me. It probably depends on the size of the herd as well. If you have two, then you could develop a bond. If you have 50, then less so. Or I could fuck one, and the one who didn't give me a reacharound would get killed.

Lactating women? People would accuse me of getting high off my own supply. ;D

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #167 on: March 14, 2014, 02:19:25 AM »
It's possible not to work your ass off, but you have to rent, be single with no kids, or at least a very easy girlfriend who doesn't leech off you.The second you get a wife, buy a home,and/or kids then you have things you need to support week after week no matter what.As a single guy who works from home online, then you could easily live without working much, and from anywhere in the world.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2014, 02:48:34 AM »
"Atlas Shrugged" should be required reading for you lazy fucking morons.
What, fantasy written by someone who accepted handouts? Do tell why.

Also, I'm guessing most people in this topic who want to work less (including me) have actually already achieved something -- and found that it really doesn't make the choir immortal sing a song of glory. You work hard/smart. Then you get promoted. Then you still work hard/smart. Then you get promoted again. Etc. The only things growing are your house and your ulcer.

Pecsellent

• Getbig II
« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2014, 02:59:23 AM »
Since there is not real point of living that we are able to understand, there is no point of working.

It is mapped out in the DNA to make our species successful; we need to work. Work is a hierarchical construction that ends with death.

Humans are designed to do things collectively like ants, wether this is about money, survival, sex or just a cult - humans in general seeks to be a part of a whole.

Despite this they daily convince themselves they are unique and important and will be appreciated someday. This is pure mind mastrubation.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2014, 03:08:47 AM »
You Europeans are lucky with your national healthcare. Some of us Americans keep our jobs just to maintain healthcare.  :-\

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2014, 03:10:43 AM »
Since there is not real point of living that we are able to understand, there is no point of working.

It is mapped out in the DNA to make our species successful; we need to work. Work is a hierarchical construction that ends with death.

Humans are designed to do things collectively like ants, wether this is about money, survival, sex or just a cult - humans in general seeks to be a part of a whole.

Despite this they daily convince themselves they are unique and important and will be appreciated someday. This is pure mind mastrubation.'
Less than 3% of the DNA is mapped, the other 97-98% is classified as "junk". This way you don't know who or what the fuck you are so you can continue working for the system.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #172 on: March 14, 2014, 03:18:15 AM »
You Europeans are lucky with your national healthcare. Some of us Americans keep our jobs just to maintain healthcare.  :-\
We pay too, just differently. From the left pocket or right pocket, we all lose the money somehow. Yes, my US team complains about paying $6-900 per month for healthcare. Then again my Dutch and German teams complain about paying 40-50% income tax.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
Lactating women?

I was in a peculiar mood when I wrote that.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2014, 10:32:24 AM »
I am retired. Working is something I did in the past to put a roof over my family's heads and food on the table. Work never defined my life. With respect to this, I was luckier than most poor suckers. These days, I volunteer my time just for the things I enjoy.