Author Topic: RIP - Larry Scott - 1st Mr. Olympia - Tribute  (Read 87432 times)

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Larry Scott Tribute
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2014, 07:24:03 PM »
It was interesting reading the obituaries for Larry. His middle name was "Dee". What if he was called Dee Scott instead of Larry?

How he met his wife is the stuff of a confident bodybuilding champion.

"The bodybuilding contests brought him notoriety and money. He was driving a Porsche in Los Angeles when he spotted a Rachel Ichikawa on a street corner. He made a U-turn and approached her. The couple married Oct. 29, 1966."
See Larry was a getbigger. Driving his Porsche and picking up women.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
Re: Larry Scott RIP!
« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2014, 08:15:51 PM »
I would think...not one.

I would put money on it ~

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2014, 10:26:57 PM »
Met Larry at the Arnold in Columbus OH a few years back.  Sorry to hear of his passing.  He was a very nice man and would take time to speak with you (unlike lots of the pro's that were there at the time).  Amazing bodybuilder and good guy.  He will be missed.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #153 on: March 22, 2014, 09:02:31 AM »
"When the beautiful jeweled crown was awarded (this crown, by the way, was entirely hand made -- crystal and ruby on gold, lined with red velvet and trimmed with leopard . . . by George Alagantakis of the G. A. Novelty Co., in New York City) --..."

I can't help but think putting that thing on his perfectly coiffed hair and the fact that it was "hand made" (were there crown making machines back then?) at a "novelty company" just had to irk the Great Scott more than a little.  As to his faith, I think it may have had something to do with his retirement.  Hanging with schmoes probably didn't sit well with Larry.  From what little I know of the man, his faith was genuine and while I don't agree with the tenets of LDS, that does not take away from the greatness of Larry Scott as either a bodybuilder or a man.

Rest well, Mr. Scott

Mitch

• Getbig V
  • Team Succulent Ham of Peace
« Reply #154 on: March 22, 2014, 12:30:21 PM »
CIP (Curl In Peace).

Tarantula157

• Getbig III
« Reply #155 on: March 22, 2014, 07:16:44 PM »
The Golden boy from the Golden era.The first and only undefeated Mr.Olympia.R.I.P. Legend!

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #156 on: March 25, 2014, 06:02:38 AM »
Larry was a Mormon. He was also an intelligent guy. We all wondered why he posed for Demigods and Tomorrows Man. No self-respecting bodybuilder would be seen posing in a pouch in those days. If you did that sort of thing you were considered suspect and wouldn't place high in bodybuilding contests. Definitely you wouldn't win the AAU Mr America contest because they frowned on anyone who did things catering to homosexuals. I suppose Larry posed to earn money to support his lifestyle.

Yes, he's a homo because he did the same thing that other athletes have done for thousands of years which is pose nude for artists.  God, you are retard. ::)
A

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: March 25, 2014, 11:22:53 AM »
vince answers from beyond

Very businesslike and mature.....Vince.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #158 on: March 26, 2014, 09:28:11 PM »
Larry won his Oly title during the time the little blue pill from CIBA was just hitting the gyms….Dbol. Larry was a spiritual corney Mormon kid who would not even drink coffee. He did however push a ton of protein thru his kidneys along with hard ass training. Thats all. Can't say the same thing for the men who shared the stage with him and eventualy took the spotlight. RIP Larry. And if you see him 'up there' tell Gironda FUCK YOU.
^^
WRONG, watch a video from one of his workout partners & multi-title winner himself:

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #159 on: March 27, 2014, 03:45:06 PM »
Yes, he's a homo because he did the same thing that other athletes have done for thousands of years which is pose nude for artists.  God, you are retard. ::)

You really are dense, Melvin. I am not implying that Larry was gay. However, back in the fifties and sixties you got a bad name posing in a pouch for men's magazines. Or were those magazines artistic ones? Anyway you look at it it was a surprise to see Larry in those magazines. On the other hand, john Grimek did pose for artists and that is a very different thing.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #160 on: March 27, 2014, 04:34:20 PM »
^^
WRONG, watch a video from one of his workout partners & multi-title winner himself:

I've got a lot of respect for Mr. Colbert from watching past videos he's done, but is it accurate to attribute Scott's spinal deformity to his Dianabol use?

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #161 on: March 27, 2014, 04:46:07 PM »
^^

That video brings back memories from nearly 40 years ago of gym members talking about Scott passing out in the street from taking too much D-Bol.  At the time I thought, "No way!", but Colbert is a good man and I doubt he would lie about his friend.    Larry was a gentleman, that's for certain. 

Lord of the Roidz

• Getbig III
« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2014, 06:43:44 AM »
That video brings back memories from nearly 40 years ago of gym members talking about Scott passing out in the street from taking too much D-Bol.  At the time I thought, "No way!", but Colbert is a good man and I doubt he would lie about his friend.    Larry was a gentleman, that's for certain. 
I respect Leroy Colbert..but I don't know if I agree that Larry was ill for over 20 years. There seems to be pictures of him in his 60's where he still looks good and there's a few videos of him around then training hard. He didn't seem to be "gasping for air" at that point. Maybe Leroy is still bitter that the white, blond haired Larry of the 1960's received so much publicity and beat the darker guys like Harold Poole and Sergio Oliva.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2014, 08:55:01 AM »
I respect Leroy Colbert..but I don't know if I agree that Larry was ill for over 20 years. There seems to be pictures of him in his 60's where he still looks good and there's a few videos of him around then training hard. He didn't seem to be "gasping for air" at that point. Maybe Leroy is still bitter that the white, blond haired Larry of the 1960's received so much publicity and beat the darker guys like Harold Poole and Sergio Oliva.

Leroy doesn't seem to be one to play the race card. I watched one of his videos addressing racism; it wasn't what you'd probably expect from him.

Lord of the Roidz

• Getbig III
« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2014, 09:39:45 AM »

Leroy doesn't seem to be one to play the race card. I watched one of his videos addressing racism; it wasn't what you'd probably expect from him.
You're probably right about that. I shouldn't put him in the category of those other race baiting types.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2014, 11:55:43 AM »
You're probably right about that. I shouldn't put him in the category of those other race baiting types.

If I can find the video again, I'll send you the link. It's a good and refreshing watch!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2014, 12:15:45 PM »

If I can find the video again, I'll send you the link. It's a good and refreshing watch!
I do not think he would lie either. Leroy was a legend. come on guys do you think scotts arms were just Vince Girondas Training ?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #167 on: April 03, 2014, 12:27:57 PM »
I do not think he would lie either. Leroy was a legend. come on guys do you think scotts arms were just Vince Girondas Training ?

I believe everything Scott and Gironda said/wrote about training and nutrition. I just think they omitted the drug end.

For instance, I believe Larry's claims that the preacher bench helped his bicipital development tremendously; he just left out the part "while he was using dianabol."
As far as I'm concerned, you can replace the preacher bench with any other strategy he mentioned, and it will be just as true...so long as you qualify the claim with "while he was using d-bol."

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #168 on: April 03, 2014, 12:41:26 PM »

I believe everything Scott and Gironda said/wrote about training and nutrition. I just think they omitted the drug end.

For instance, I believe Larry's claims that the preacher bench helped his bicipital development tremendously; he just left out the part "while he was using dianabol."
As far as I'm concerned, you can replace the preacher bench with any other strategy he mentioned, and it will be just as true...so long as you qualify the claim with "while he was using d-bol."
yes good post. I do not find the preacher bench so important in bicep development. I think incline bench curls are far superior

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #169 on: April 03, 2014, 12:53:51 PM »
I try to remember, too, that Larry sold his own supplement line. I also remember that, back in the 80's, he was pimping his Bio-Phase training system. That's not to slam him, but rather to suggest why he may never have come clean about his drug use.

I also think that a lot of guys may just be too proud to admit it - especially ones from that time period.
Freddy Ortiz danced around the question of his own drug use during an interview with David Robson. Robson asked him twice, and Freddy never gave a direct answer either way.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #170 on: April 03, 2014, 01:25:38 PM »
I try to remember, too, that Larry sold his own supplement line. I also remember that, back in the 80's, he was pimping his Bio-Phase training system. That's not to slam him, but rather to suggest why he may never have come clean about his drug use.

I also think that a lot of guys may just be too proud to admit it - especially ones from that time period.
Freddy Ortiz danced around the question of his own drug use during an interview with David Robson. Robson asked him twice, and Freddy never gave a direct answer either way.

These guys just drunk milk and 20 rep squats ... ;D but hey AJ knew the cure...HIT Training  :-\

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #171 on: April 03, 2014, 03:02:03 PM »
These guys just drunk milk and 20 rep squats ... ;D but hey AJ knew the cure...HIT Training  :-\

I believe Mentzer's claims that HIT helped him tremendously; he just left out the part "while he was using test, Deca, Winstrol, and Anavar."

;D

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #172 on: April 03, 2014, 03:29:01 PM »

a lot of bbers have admitted using juice.......gaspari, phil Williams, tom platz, larry scott, robby robinson, etc....

Arnold not so much because he was involved in movies and politics......just my 2 cents.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: April 03, 2014, 03:30:12 PM »
I had a buddy of mine that knew mr larry scott and larry trained him in salt lake city.....and larry was quite forthcoming with him regarding larry's use of dianabol.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #174 on: April 03, 2014, 06:28:21 PM »
I had a buddy of mine that knew mr larry scott and larry trained him in salt lake city.....and larry was quite forthcoming with him regarding larry's use of dianabol.

Back in those days Dianabol was legal, commonly prescribed and used.