Author Topic: RIP - Larry Scott - 1st Mr. Olympia - Tribute  (Read 87001 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Re: Larry Scott Tribute
« Reply #200 on: April 07, 2014, 09:48:01 PM »
In those days few confessed or admitted steroid use. So, as long as no one else knew you could claim what you liked and who could say otherwise. I sometimes regret admitting I used some Dianabol in 1970. When Hans Gensow found out he gave me a really disappointed look. He was a German bodybuilder who got me started lifting weights in Kamloops in 1958. He was like a Greek Adonis. In those days it was almost a sin and definitely cheating and maybe worse. Sort of like you didn't have what it took to get big so had to do something other than train hard. Sure, you could get Dianabol and other steroids from doctors but few of us had the nerve to do that. That pretty much stopped most bodybuilders from trying steroids.

The musclehead culture in LA, NY and perhaps Chicago and Montreal might have been a bit different. If you knew someone who tried them and got a good result....and didn't get side effects, then that was a plus. Eventually just about everyone who won a big title after 1965 was using them. The thing is we will never know because many of those guys are gone and the rest are not saying much.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #201 on: April 07, 2014, 10:56:31 PM »
In those days few confessed or admitted steroid use. So, as long as no one else knew you could claim what you liked and who could say otherwise. I sometimes regret admitting I used some Dianabol in 1970. When Hans Gensow found out he gave me a really disappointed look. He was a German bodybuilder who got me started lifting weights in Kamloops in 1958. He was like a Greek Adonis. In those days it was almost a sin and definitely cheating and maybe worse. Sort of like you didn't have what it took to get big so had to do something other than train hard. Sure, you could get Dianabol and other steroids from doctors but few of us had the nerve to do that. That pretty much stopped most bodybuilders from trying steroids.

The musclehead culture in LA, NY and perhaps Chicago and Montreal might have been a bit different. If you knew someone who tried them and got a good result....and didn't get side effects, then that was a plus. Eventually just about everyone who won a big title after 1965 was using them. The thing is we will never know because many of those guys are gone and the rest are not saying much.

I don't know about New York and Chicago, but in Los Angeles, ABS was pretty much the norm among bodybuilders. My guess would be that the culture in New York and Chicago was similar. Kamloops is like out in the "bush" or something, isn't it?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #202 on: April 08, 2014, 11:25:21 AM »
In those days few confessed or admitted steroid use. So, as long as no one else knew you could claim what you liked and who could say otherwise. I sometimes regret admitting I used some Dianabol in 1970. When Hans Gensow found out he gave me a really disappointed look. He was a German bodybuilder who got me started lifting weights in Kamloops in 1958. He was like a Greek Adonis.

This guy is the übermensch, Hitler's wet dream.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #203 on: April 08, 2014, 09:18:15 PM »
hey wild bill!!   I have articles with Arnold admitting steroid use.   including after the '80 Olympia, Franco was trying to solve his water retention issue.  he asked Arnold what he took. Arnold replied 'just the usual steroids'.
^^
I've got that one too, the 1980 Mr. Olympia special I believe Rick Wayne was the editor!

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #204 on: April 09, 2014, 03:15:18 PM »
Great thread Vince.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #205 on: April 09, 2014, 10:17:29 PM »
This guy is the übermensch, Hitler's wet dream.

LOL. Hans is the True Adonis, not Adam!

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #206 on: April 10, 2014, 11:33:20 PM »
Here's my tribute article about Larry -
A Light Goes Out Over Bodybuilding
http://johnhansenfitness.com/2014/04/04/a-light-goes-out-over-bodybuilding/

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #207 on: April 11, 2014, 04:39:47 AM »
Maybe the IFBB should replace the Sandow with a bronze of Larry Scott? That would be great. Sandow was from another era and not a true bodybuilder. Larry was the epitome of what we all aimed for. Huge arms and an impressive build.

Something like this pose for the sculpture.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #208 on: April 11, 2014, 09:14:10 AM »
VINCE, When I read the first part of your input as stated above.... I said to myself   ..."Where the hell was  VINCE back then?"

But then you continue and say that things were probably much different in the states ..... and I can assure you that the steroid culture definitely was VERY much different than what your personal experience was way  back then.

I'll add some personal details showing how different things were in the States as soon as I get some free time to do so.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #209 on: April 11, 2014, 10:21:46 AM »
Maybe the IFBB should replace the Sandow with a bronze of Larry Scott? That would be great. Sandow was from another era and not a true bodybuilder. Larry was the epitome of what we all aimed for. Huge arms and an impressive build.

or this one
F

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #210 on: April 11, 2014, 11:55:24 AM »

this one

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #211 on: April 11, 2014, 12:55:53 PM »
this one
there's a lot of classic scott poses that could be used probably side most muscular that way arms won't break off with handling of trophy. i like the second one as well but there again the damage problem
F

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #212 on: April 15, 2014, 11:30:44 AM »

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #213 on: April 15, 2014, 08:26:38 PM »
VINCE, I tend to agree with your idea of replacing the Sandow with a  Larry Scott replica, but I doubt tht it will ever happen for the following three main reasons:

1. It's sometimes 'impractical' to break with tradition even though that tradition was only initiated about 50 years ago.

2. And there are many who feel that another individual would be more worthy if the Sandow was to be replaced.

3. And it could be considered a "slap in the originator's face" if a change of such importance was made.

I can almost guarantee that a LARRY SCOTT MEMORIAL EVENT/Contest will be sanctioned within the IFBB/NPC sooner than you think.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #214 on: April 15, 2014, 08:38:41 PM »
So long as they never belittle the greatness of Steve Reeves by attaching this hallowed image to the drug bloated Olympia title.

And no, I am not joking.  Reeves is the symbol of natural perfection.  The Olympia is the token of drug abuse gone stupid wild.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #215 on: April 15, 2014, 11:26:32 PM »
So long as they never belittle the greatness of Steve Reeves by attaching this hallowed image to the drug bloated Olympia title.

And no, I am not joking.  Reeves is the symbol of natural perfection.  The Olympia is the token of drug abuse gone stupid wild.

100%.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #216 on: April 16, 2014, 12:48:30 AM »

they threw away the mould when they made him.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #217 on: April 16, 2014, 08:33:01 AM »
they threw away the mould when they made him.

They did indeed.

I had the honor of being trained by Steve when I joined the Bert Goodrich Gym in 1954. He, Larry Scott and Bill Smith were my early heros. Once they invited me to the all you can eat prime rib buffet at Rand's Roundup in Hollywood. Dbol was just making it into the gym. It was a hot topic that night including how much beef one can eat. By 1956 they had moved over to Gironda's gym. 'If' they did not dabble with Dbol they were amongst the few. For me anyway I can not say, or even care, if these men used the very legal drug Dbol. All three were great men and assets to Bodybuilding.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #218 on: April 17, 2014, 08:59:58 PM »
  They did indeed.

I had the honor of being trained by Steve when I joined the Bert Goodrich Gym in 1954. He, Larry Scott and Bill Smith were my early heros. Once they invited me to the all you can eat prime rib buffet at Rand's Roundup in Hollywood. Dbol was just making it into the gym. It was a hot topic that night including how much beef one can eat. By 1956 they had moved over to Gironda's gym. 'If' they did not dabble with Dbol they were amongst the few. For me anyway I can not say, or even care, if these men used the very legal drug Dbol. All three were great men and assets to Bodybuilding.

You are a fortunate man, indeed sir.  To have known and trained with those guys is a most enviable remembrance.  I have met one of my inspirations, Dave Draper.  What a gentleman he is.  Would that I could have met Reeves and Clarence Ross along with  several more including the other two gentlemen you mention above. 

Older folks such as myself have always remarked on the good old days of their youth and how it was much better be it music, movies, bodybuilding or the like.  People say that we seasoned citizens are forever speaking about how life was better "back then".  How music was better, movies, fashion, etc. were are better and how this has been and always will be the natural order of things as each succeeding generation passes the torch of youth.

Given the current state of what passes for music and bodybuilding I can state that we are definitely right this time.  Both suck butt today and what was then is sooooo much better than what is now.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #219 on: April 18, 2014, 09:41:48 AM »
You are a fortunate man, indeed sir.  To have known and trained with those guys is a most enviable remembrance.  I have met one of my inspirations, Dave Draper.  What a gentleman he is.  Would that I could have met Reeves and Clarence Ross along with  several more including the other two gentlemen you mention above. 

Older folks such as myself have always remarked on the good old days of their youth and how it was much better be it music, movies, bodybuilding or the like.  People say that we seasoned citizens are forever speaking about how life was better "back then".  How music was better, movies, fashion, etc. were are better and how this has been and always will be the natural order of things as each succeeding generation passes the torch of youth.

Given the current state of what passes for music and bodybuilding I can state that we are definitely right this time.  Both suck butt today and what was then is sooooo much better than what is now.
well put and oh so true.
F

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #220 on: April 20, 2014, 05:02:30 PM »

LOL @ the schmoe here.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #221 on: April 24, 2014, 04:44:31 PM »
there's a lot of classic scott poses that could be used probably side most muscular that way arms won't break off with handling of trophy. i like the second one as well but there again the damage problem

Funk, serious question:

I see that Muscle Builder was billed as "the world's fastest selling muscle magazine." How many other bodybuilding magazines were out there at the time?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #222 on: April 25, 2014, 12:58:34 PM »

Funk, serious question:

I see that Muscle Builder was billed as "the world's fastest selling muscle magazine." How many other bodybuilding magazines were out there at the time?
regular mags were muscle builder as pic'd, iron man, strength and health, muscle training illustrated, muscular developement, mr.america. pretty much it in usa . 2 weider mags 2 hoffman peary rader and dan lurie 1 mag apiece.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #223 on: April 25, 2014, 12:59:45 PM »
 ;D
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #224 on: April 26, 2014, 09:11:56 AM »
regular mags were muscle builder as pic'd, iron man, strength and health, muscle training illustrated, muscular developement, mr.america. pretty much it in usa . 2 weider mags 2 hoffman peary rader and dan lurie 1 mag apiece.

Okay, that's a lot more than I thought there were.

While on the subject of print, I remember Larry mentioning that he redesigned many of Vince's training booklets to help them sell. Apparently, Scott had a background in marketing and applied some of that knowledge to Vince's publications, which weren't moving so hot prior to that.