Author Topic: ATTN EKUL: Laws Against Pit Bulls Soften As Attitudes Change  (Read 1138 times)

Wolfox

• Getbig V
ATTN EKUL: Laws Against Pit Bulls Soften As Attitudes Change
« on: March 11, 2014, 03:15:17 PM »
 :-*

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/11/laws-against-pit-bulls_n_4940494.html?utm_hp_ref=green

For much of the past three decades, pit bulls have been widely regarded as America's most dangerous dog — the favorite breed of thugs, drug dealers and dog-fighting rings, with a fearsome reputation for unprovoked, sometimes deadly attacks.

Hostility toward "pits" grew so intense that some cities began treating them as the canine equivalent of assault rifles and prohibited residents from owning them.

But attitudes have softened considerably since then as animal activists and even television shows cast the dogs in a more positive light. The image makeover has prompted many states to pass new laws that forbid communities from banning specific breeds. And it illustrates the power and persistence of dog-advocacy groups that have worked to fend off pit bull restrictions with much the same zeal as gun-rights groups have defeated gun-control measures.

"Lawmakers are realizing that targeting dogs based on their breed or what they look like is not a solution to dealing with dangerous dogs," said Lisa Peters, a spokeswoman for the American Kennel Club.

Eighteen states now have laws that prohibit communities from adopting breed-specific bans. Lawmakers in six more states are considering similar measures, and some cities are reviewing local policies that classify pit bulls as dangerous animals.
A

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Re: ATTN EKUL: Laws Against Pit Bulls Soften As Attitudes Change
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 03:17:50 PM »
He doesn't want to hear about Petey...

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 03:19:51 PM »
 ;)

The dogs' foes complain that their message is being drowned out by a well-funded, well-organized lobbying effort in state capitols. The debate puts millions of pit bull owners up against a relatively small number of people who have been victimized by the dogs.

Ron Hicks, who sponsored a bill in the Missouri House to forbid breed-specific legislation, said he was surprised when nobody spoke against his proposal last month at a committee hearing.

"I figured a few parents would be there who would bring tears to my eyes," the Republican said. "Would it have changed my opinion or what I believe in? No."
A

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 03:23:21 PM »
E-Kul's infamous Pitbull tattoo

A

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 10:51:30 PM »
More colours on that tattoo would be nice.
Zillions of wild dogs outside Melbourne.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 11:09:29 AM »
Is it only Pits these retards are afraid of?

Or do other 'dangerous breeds' like my Rottie, mastiff or akitas also deserve to be euthanized because they're a Ticking Time Bomb?