Author Topic: ..  (Read 13910 times)

the trainer

As long as you warm up and slowly pyramid up the weights you wont have any injury, I have being benching all my life and never had a problem.
 Now for a little rant what up with all you pussies these days afraid of benchpress, squats and deadlifts, no wonder a lot of people dont have that hard power look to their physique cause all they do is machine so you look like a built woman without tits.

Megalodon

• Getbig V
Ripping any muscle is not worth it. It reduces the quality/size of that particular muscle and degrades the overall physique.

On the other hand, if you're the type that has no problem having gyno, massive stretch marks, extra fat most of the year.... ripping a bodypart from its insertion will make you more hardcore/respected/the real deal...amongst the .0001% of the population that even remotely care. ;D

jon cole

• Getbig IV
There's always a chance you might get injured lifting.  Over the years while training chest and shoulders I have dislocated my shoulder doing db presses, I have strained my pec on hammer inclines, I have strained my shoulders on cybex press machines, I have tweaked my pec and bicep on the smith machine doin inclines, I have strained my bicep doing traditional flat benches.  

Today I just don't get crazy.  If I feel even slighly compromised I either skip the movement, change it up or call it an early day.  

For example 2 weeks ago training chest I used a hammer plate-loaded incline and had 8 plates loaded.  I hit the 6th rep, it didn't feel right and I stopped.  Monday I trained chest (national chest day) and did the same hammer inclines again with 8 plates and put up 24 reps no problem.  Point is you never know exactly how your body is gonna react.  

same for me. Two light pec tears in 6 month. Now i'm back, but if when during heavy bench pressing i feel something wrong i stop the set. If i feel ok i kick my ass.
I do the same for squat.
asstropin

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Injured my shoulder in Iraq, non lifting related but bruised bad. I trained through it...maybe a little harder to warm up and some tendinitis set it. Two years ago I blew it out...minor dislocation pain....on the bench. It took a lot or rehab/prehab but I still manage to compete. I do a lot more Tri work. Its all about warming up. If your not competing for strength I think there are better alternatives or atleast more stuff to mix in to avoid injury.
L

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Barbell bench press is worthless to me being tall with long arms. Most people that get benefit from it are shorter with a "Barrel chest and ie large rib cage". I'll have to go with dj181 on this one he does Incline db's and almost maxed out the bells when he returns from timeout he will maybe show us pics of the muscle size progress from them.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
same for me. Two light pec tears in 6 month. Now i'm back, but if when during heavy bench pressing i feel something wrong i stop the set. If i feel ok i kick my ass.
I do the same for squat.

Exactly, that's all anyone can do.  You learn your body over time and listen to it closely.  I trained stupid in my early 20s...got crazy.  Today I'm almost 40 and I'm payin the price for that stupidity, but my strength is still great.  i just have to be careful I don't blow myself up.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Barbell bench press is worthless to me being tall with long arms. Most people that get benefit from it are shorter with a "Barrel chest and ie large rib cage". I'll have to go with dj181 on this one he does Incline db's and almost maxed out the bells when he returns from timeout he will maybe show us pics of the muscle size progress from them.
;D

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Incline DB's are great..it can be another ego thing, guys doing 2 inch range of motion or too heavy in general....or spotter doing upright rows.
L

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Incline DB's are great..it can be another ego thing, guys doing 2 inch range of motion or too heavy in general....or spotter doing upright rows.
Are you saying that Cswole never done a full range rep?

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
hehe you are so funny and badass hehe

::)

haha ;D

galeniko

• Getbig V
show me the science
do you know how science works?

must have huge studies and all,it not happening.

what is happening is torn partial;y or fully biceps, pecs, shot shoulders etc.

you are a bloody newcomer to this i gather.or an obese fattso pig, give it some time, train heavy while lean then get back.
n

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Are you saying that Cswole never done a full range rep?

General comment but I'm sure everybody has seen it. DB's way to big and a spotter with the white knuckled deathgrip around the wrists using good leg drive to get each rep up.
L

galeniko

• Getbig V
some people argued that dumbel press is even more dangerous
if one knows the movement pfr them personaly. elbow angles etc its all good, but the dangerous part is lifting it into position and when done with last rep imo.

n

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Agree with that...the knee kick is an art all to itself.
L

Melkor

• Getbig III
discuss

Very good training topic. From an injury perspective the barbell bench press is a major source of acute and chronic injury. For those who want to be shown the science behind this here are two studies:

Keogh, J., et al. Epidemiology of injury in powerlifting: Retrospective results. Journal of
Science and Medicine in Sport 6:44, 2003

Raske, A., and R. Norlin. Injury incidence and prevalence among elite weight and power
lifters. American Journal of Sports Medicine 30:248-256, 2002.

Basically, both studies show that shoulder injuries are the most common site of injury in powerlifting. And you could argue that for bodybuilding, the form typically used is even more likely to cause injury. The shoulder is a very vulnerable joint and to stress it with the weight of a heavy bench is taking a risk for sure. Plus I think most people tend to be anterior delt dominant when benching anyway and may be better off stimulating the chest with DBs or dips.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
IF youre young you can do bench press for the first 4 years of training for pure foundation and overall strength .... (if taking bodybuilding seriously) maybe less than that  b

I have been told I have the greatest chest development for the past 2 decades in my opinion dumbbell presses is all you need....

WoooSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

galeniko

• Getbig V
I've always said its safe for naturals. A buddy of mine tore his pec after he started juicing. I remember when he could barley get 1 rep with 225. Next thing you know he's getting 385 and tears the shit out of chest.

I've always been curious of the injury's between enhanced and naturals.
well the tendons and all arent made to hold that supra natural power.and then one day boom.

literaly every strong lifter in my gym had some kind of tear or injury one time.

ah yeah on science topic, wheres the science that shows if one jps from 1 mile height onto conrete ground that its hurtfull?
n

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
do you know how science works?

must have huge studies and all,it not happening.

what is happening is torn partial;y or fully biceps, pecs, shot shoulders etc.

you are a bloody newcomer to this i gather.or an obese fattso pig, give it some time, train heavy while lean then get back.
lol,,,bloody obese fattso

galeniko

• Getbig V
Agree with that...the knee kick is an art all to itself.
yah for shoulder dumbel presses it alreadfy looks damn scary,but for bench even moreso.

i remember when young, felt invincible, did that with 120 dumbells.

never felt one thing.today itd rip my arm right off haha.

now, with the shoulder properly shot, im in so much pain all day every day, nah this is one of the few things tht werent worth it.

some say can only happen if not warmed up and training too heavy.nah nah, things can wear out over time even when lifting light.

and 1 wrong move, 1milimeter too much rom, 1 second wrong movement, and boom, you have a disaster
n

Melkor

• Getbig III
Here is another link to a short case study well worth reading specifically for bodybuilders interested in the topic: http://pectear.com/faq/Rupture%20of%20the%20pectoralis%20major%20muscle%20in%20bodybuilders.pdf

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
why? you can Twist your Hands ...etc etc. Ok you have to stabilize a weight in each Hand. i think BB press causes more stress. Just my opinion and i have used DBs when shoulder pain was an issue.

Thats where the difference is. You can twist the hands and position the elbows to fit your body structure. Everyone isnt anatomically identical so that fixed position of the bar isnt perfect for everyone. Too much pressure on my pec minor when I use BB

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan

Sigh.....another list... :'(
You ever get out to this coast we can dock. :-*
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Melkor

• Getbig III
yah for shoulder dumbel presses it alreadfy looks damn scary,but for bench even moreso.

i remember when young, felt invincible, did that with 120 dumbells.

never felt one thing.today itd rip my arm right off haha.

now, with the shoulder properly shot, im in so much pain all day every day, nah this is one of the few things tht werent worth it.

some say can only happen if not warmed up and training too heavy.nah nah, things can wear out over time even when lifting light.

and 1 wrong move, 1milimeter too much rom, 1 second wrong movement, and boom, you have a disaster

Yeah, that's the danger with muscle tears there can often be no symptoms or indications that you are about to blow something. Compare that to a tendon rupture where you will generally be feeling tendinitis and pain in the affected area before an major injury.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
Here is another link to a short case study well worth reading specifically for bodybuilders interested in the topic: http://pectear.com/faq/Rupture%20of%20the%20pectoralis%20major%20muscle%20in%20bodybuilders.pdf

This just showed what a tear was and how this particular case had a tear as a result of benching. But has there been a comprehensive study on the instances of pec injuries on the BB vs the DB with comparable weight/reps/ and sets.

i know for sure my pec minor had gone to shit on both sides evenly with heavy BB benching.

I just didnt use DBs because they were a pain to lug around and then rack
i have subscriptions to some journals, ill give it a look

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
You ever get out to this coast we can dock. :-*
:o