Author Topic: ..  (Read 13919 times)

galeniko

• Getbig V
Yeah, that's the danger with muscle tears there can often be no symptoms or indications that you are about to blow something. Compare that to a tendon rupture where you will generally be feeling tendinitis and pain in the affected area before an major injury.
fuck, i feel tendonitis in so many palces its not even funny.

is that from the cortisone therapy?

i never had anythin like this before, only since cortisone.

n

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
yah for shoulder dumbel presses it alreadfy looks damn scary,but for bench even moreso.

i remember when young, felt invincible, did that with 120 dumbells.

never felt one thing.today itd rip my arm right off haha.

now, with the shoulder properly shot, im in so much pain all day every day, nah this is one of the few things tht werent worth it.

some say can only happen if not warmed up and training too heavy.nah nah, things can wear out over time even when lifting light.

and 1 wrong move, 1milimeter too much rom, 1 second wrong movement, and boom, you have a disaster

but with dbs you have freedom to twist the hands slightly and positions the elbows slightly to complete the movement with your bodys natural allignment. with the BB...youre kind of stuck, even if it feels unnatural. And i think thats where the risk if injury is

galeniko

• Getbig V
but with dbs you have freedom to twist the hands slightly and positions the elbows slightly to complete the movement with your bodys natural allignment. with the BB...youre kind of stuck, even if it feels unnatural. And i think thats where the risk if injury is
nono i never said otherwise, once the weight is up, the db press is perfect natural movement.

the bb is so unnatural it ridiculous.bc it doesnt bend lol.

just bringing the dbs into position and releasing them, even after the set, can be very dangerous.

but the movement itself is perfect exactly for the reasons youve mentioned.

n

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
The bench press is a relatively new exercise. Even though it's the most popular weight exercise hands down with curls. What's not to like. Exercising while lying down.

The problem I see with the bench aside from just plain over use is that it makes the shoulder pec area really tight due to a loss of flexibility. Then you are primed for a tear whether it's a delt, pec tie in or a rotator cuff.

This inflexibility comes to many from the inherent stop of the bar by the chest. It goes without saying through physics and just common experience it's easier to handle more weight by cutting down the range. This has led to the crazy arches and taking a deep breath with a wide grip that will effectively lower the amount of work done through cutting the range of motion when benching so heavier weights can be used.

Once your shoulders get really tight it just takes a bad day where you exceed that tight range to cause a tear.

Dumbbells are safer. It lets your hands move the way they want. One of the safest ways to dumbbell press is keeping the palms of your hands facing each other to varying degrees or completely. Some guys with shoulder pain can actually incline and flat bench again if they keep their hands facing each other. Of course check with your doctor first.

galeniko

• Getbig V
agree with all you only forgot the joints and bones can get hurt too.

from what i see, some have extremly strong muscle, they tear a  tendon or wear out a joint.

some have ox-like stable and strong joints, but their muscle arent up to par,they just get a muscle tear.

etcetc

n

bigmc

• Getbig V
i never go heavier than anything i can lift for ten reps

that solves most problems
T

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
i never go heavier than anything i can lift for ten reps

that solves most problems

That is great advice or should I say advices.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
MOST gyms now u rarely see any heavy benchers anymore 'not the 1 or 2 old guard'i'm talking a gym packed with benchers is not there anymore,hammer equipment and dumbells,and stack type machines rule the floor.a powerlifting type gym there are still around i'm sure ,but other ways have taken over .

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
The bench press is a relatively new exercise. Even though it's the most popular weight exercise hands down with curls. What's not to like. Exercising while lying down.

The problem I see with the bench aside from just plain over use is that it makes the shoulder pec area really tight due to a loss of flexibility. Then you are primed for a tear whether it's a delt, pec tie in or a rotator cuff.

This inflexibility comes to many from the inherent stop of the bar by the chest. It goes without saying through physics and just common experience it's easier to handle more weight by cutting down the range. This has led to the crazy arches and taking a deep breath with a wide grip that will effectively lower the amount of work done through cutting the range of motion when benching so heavier weights can be used.

Once your shoulders get really tight it just takes a bad day where you exceed that tight range to cause a tear.

Dumbbells are safer. It lets your hands move the way they want. One of the safest ways to dumbbell press is keeping the palms of your hands facing each other to varying degrees or completely. Some guys with shoulder pain can actually incline and flat bench again if they keep their hands facing each other. Of course check with your doctor first.
good post. Before Bench press they did Dips. Not saying itīs better but you donīt get injured with Dips unless you use a belt with too much weight. I find it more natural.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
Damn.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
nono i never said otherwise, once the weight is up, the db press is perfect natural movement.

the bb is so unnatural it ridiculous.bc it doesnt bend lol.

just bringing the dbs into position and releasing them, even after the set, can be very dangerous.

but the movement itself is perfect exactly for the reasons youve mentioned.

Oh my bad. You're right

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
I pretty much only use DBs these days and I almost never go over 100# and NEVER go over 120#. I do experiment from time to time with the movement, more ROM, different rep tempos, hand position (neutral grip, etc). But when I starting something new, I stick to the 80's or 90's. Gal is right that the setup and end can be the "oh shit" moment. If it gets out of control, I just dump.

Been doing a lot of weighted dips and pushups combos instead.

I LOL when I see that I have the whole PL'er setup too for bench: Westside bar, chains, cambered bar. And I still like DBs.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.

Fine post and I agree 100%.

Guys that do heavy benches will eventually pay for it somewhere down the road.  I always started my chest workouts with bench press... I did that over 20 years.  Never did max singles or had any pec tears, but about 5 years ago I started to develop severe pains in my shoulders that would linger days after my chest workout.  I had developed severe rotator cuff and labrum problems.  Took off lifting for a year doing only morning cardio.  It healed naturally.

Since then I switched to light flat DB presses, slowly building up my strength and my shoulders are 90% better now.  I'm pressing the 90's and 100's for 5-6 reps (full range) and that is fine with me.  I still can do incline smith, flyes and pullovers... no problems.  

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
good post. Before Bench press they did Dips. Not saying itīs better but you donīt get injured with Dips unless you use a belt with too much weight. I find it more natural.
I know two people that have torn their pec doing dips, one was a chick.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
in my opinion the Smith machine should be kicked out every gym. THIS is worse than BB bench press. I see People every day doing Joint grinding squats and Benches.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
in my opinion the Smith machine should be kicked out every gym. THIS is worse than BB bench press. I see People every day doing Joint grinding squats and Benches.
DEPENDS ON SMITH..angle/feet position used to squat...it has some benefit I use smith at times for stuff..

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
me too

and you are deceiving yourself if you think this can't happen with 100-140kg

For sure. I've seen that happen to a guy only benching 330lbs. I noticed a long time ago when I started evaluating young players (rugby) that the young guys that went heavy BB (80-110) always seemed to be stronger and more reps when doing other exercise testing, dips, military press etc..

Sure we had they kids who could BP 40olbs but they could only do 10 dips sometimes less...rarely a pull up or two

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
I know two people that have torn their pec doing dips, one was a chick.
well if i trained her it would not happen.. because when i Train People i (women) start with the Dip assist machine. If she got injured it could be many reasons as you know Chaos. Bad form,too much weight...etc...

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
there's mountains of evidence jesus existed as well.  i need science

Not when you're in hell

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
it's another matter of too deep ROM

people always think maximal rom is the right way

but it seems first class ticket to snap city
First of all you gotta have good tricep strength and most donīt. Dips are way more advanced than Benches(lets not get into diffrent positions etc) fact is to dip even with your Body weight is not easy for some. you talk about Depth..i agree with Dips too.  I dip untill i feel it. some will Dip further than me and have no Problems. really up to you

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Anyone here do a couple of plain push ups after working chest? I just started doing this. It hasn't irritated my bad shoulder like I thought it would. After doing presses and flies I can't do many perfect full range push ups  but the pump is incredible. It's also a great ab exercise. I know this a bodybuilding site but body weight stuff is underrated by bodybuilding fans.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
if one knows the movement pfr them personaly. elbow angles etc its all good, but the dangerous part is lifting it into position and when done with last rep imo.

so true.

I only incline press dumbells for that reason.

75% of the times I have tweaked my back or whatever can attributed to reracking heavy db's I used for shrugs or rows. Not the actual exercise. 

hench

• Getbig V
i do pressups between chairs, dips between chairs and use a resistance trainer that hooks over the door for flys, you can literally lean your whole bodyweight onto it and fly away.
Get no niggling pains, sore elbows etc.

Anyone here do a couple of plain push ups after working chest? I just started doing this. It hasn't irritated my bad shoulder like I thought it would. After doing presses and flies I can't do many perfect full range push ups  but the pump is incredible. It's also a great ab exercise. I know this a bodybuilding site but body weight stuff is underrated by bodybuilding fans.

jon cole

• Getbig IV
bench squat and dead are still my favorite exercise.

but because i neglect mobility / rehab and warmup in my 20 i injuried a lot between 30/35.
Multiple lower back tear (painful), and 3 light chest tear in 3 year.

So now it's 3/4 set of 10 reps with a weight i can control.
My chest back and legs are even better now.

asstropin