Author Topic: What IF......1991: Lee Haney (Mr. Olympia) vs. Gary Strydom (WBF Champion)  (Read 15346 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Lee Haney: 1991 IFBB Mr. Olympia

vs.

Gary Strydom: 1991 World Bodybuilding Federation (WBF) Champion

You make the call!

Eaglelx

• Getbig II

As much of a Haney fan that I am, I have to tip my hat to Strydom on this one.  "Top Hat and Cane, Talk about stepping out for a night on the town.. oh my goodness!"

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

As much of a Haney fan that I am, I have to tip my hat to Strydom on this one.  "Top Hat and Cane, Talk about stepping out for a night on the town.. oh my goodness!"

That's the WBF BodyStars edit, aired 1 week before the 1992 WBF championship. McMahon's voice is dubbed over that of Greg Lewis and Tom Platz. Plus, as you can see, that's only about half his routine. The rest is from 4:22 onward (on mine).

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
same with who would win with Nasser and Dorian..

contest over when they turn around. even moreso for Lee against gary

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
same with who would win with Nasser and Dorian..

contest over when they turn around. even moreso for Lee against gary

Depends on who's judging. Former Mr. Universe, Dave Draper and former Mr. O, Chris Dickerson were on the WBF's judging panel.

jwb

• Getbig V
Haney by a mile Strydom NEVER had a good back.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Haney by a mile Strydom NEVER had a good back.

Mike Christian did and Strydom beat him.

Plus, I'd argue that Strydom has Haney on legs.

Back and biceps, Haney hands down.

Triceps go to Strydom.

They're dead even on chest.

Shoulders? I don't know!! Flip a coin.

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
Mike Christian did and Strydom beat him.

Plus, I'd argue that Strydom has Haney on legs.

Back and biceps, Haney hands down.

Triceps go to Strydom.

They're dead even on chest.

Shoulders? I don't know!! Flip a coin.

Yeah, but when it comes to hair Haney takes the Sandow

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Yeah, but when it comes to hair Haney takes the Sandow

To get a better look at Christian's back, check my WBF championship thread with the video (Christian's routine starts at 29:26).

I'll bump it.

jwb

• Getbig V
Strydom had no bak in 1988 and not much of a back by 1991. Btw, Christian beat Gary 3:2 in the 1989 Grand Prix tour. By the WBF days Christian wasn't even trying.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Strydom had no bak in 1988 and not much of a back by 1991. Btw, Christian beat Gary 3:2 in the 1989 Grand Prix tour. By the WBF days Christian wasn't even trying.

Christian was trying; he just didn't succeed in the WBF. Check the posedown (1:45:00 on my WBF championship thread).

There are other bodyparts to consider, such as legs where Strydom had Christian beat handily. I'd give the edge on legs to him over Haney, too.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
Haney

jwb

• Getbig V
Christian was trying; he just didn't succeed in the WBF. Check the posedown (1:45:00 on my WBF championship thread).

There are other bodyparts to consider, such as legs where Strydom had Christian beat handily. I'd give the edge on legs to him over Haney, too.
christian was using his WBF salary for crack.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
haney by a mile.

Flower Boy Ran Away

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
christian was using his WBF salary for crack.

That might explain why he looked like a crackhead during the 1992 WBF Championship.

stavios

• Getbig III
Strydom as such a great qualify to his muscles and skin

Perfect physique, i dońt mind the 1992 back

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Strydom as such a great qualify to his muscles and skin

Perfect physique, i dońt mind the 1992 back

That's from 1991. In 1992, he was about 15 pounds smaller.

ChopperRider

• Getbig V
  • Ugly, bald Shitso scalp for sale = $1
haney by a mile.

Anybody who saw Haney live and up close would know this.

Ropo

• Getbig IV
Lee Haney: 1991 IFBB Mr. Olympia

vs.

Gary Strydom (1991 World Bodybuilding Federation Champion)

You make the call!

So, you mean that there is no reason why they give mr. Olympia 8 times for Haney, and not even once to Strydom? There is simple reason for that: those were bodybuilding contest, and Strydom wasn't good enough, because his back was like a back of the little girl. In fact his chest were wider than his back, so what about the symmetry and balance, which make points to bodybuilder in the contest? Instead of getting frustrated and chancing to WBFC, he should have been training width to his back. You little boys and girls should understand that they aren't judging these guys by he photos and shitty videos, but live, and they see the faults in structure, in posing, in balance etc. very clearly. Strydom stays in history of the sport to being one of the stupidest bodybuilders, because guys like Wolf has proved that you can make wonders even with shitty back.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
Imagine the 1991 Olympia line-up if the WBF didn't exist:

Lee Haney, Gary Strydom, Mike Christian, Dorian Yates, Vince Taylor

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom

That back is Peter Putnumesque

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
So, you mean that there is no reason why they give mr. Olympia 8 times for Haney, and not even once to Strydom? There is simple reason for that: those were bodybuilding contest, and Strydom wasn't good enough, because his back was like a back of the little girl. In fact his chest were wider than his back, so what about the symmetry and balance, which make points to bodybuilder in the contest? Instead of getting frustrated and chancing to WBFC, he should have been training width to his back. You little boys and girls should understand that they aren't judging these guys by he photos and shitty videos, but live, and they see the faults in structure, in posing, in balance etc. very clearly. Strydom stays in history of the sport to being one of the stupidest bodybuilders, because guys like Wolf has proved that you can make wonders even with shitty back.

So going to another federation, becoming the first guy to make $100K for winning a pro bodybuilding show, signing arguably the most lucrative contracts in history (which forced Weider to pony up more cash to keep his bodybuilders), and making a small fortune is your idea of "stupid"?

Strydom entered the Olympia once and placed top 5. But, he looked nowhere near as good as he did in 1991. It's simply a matchup I would have liked to have seen. I know how shows are judged; but Haney and Strydom never went head up, with each looking as they did that year.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Strydom never had a great back, but the issues in the 88 comparison pic are probably worse than normal.  IIRC, that was the year he did a massive weight loss three weeks prior to the Olympia, becasue he lost the Chicago Pro to Jon Hnatyshack (sp?) due to condition.

He then over dieted, etc and lost a lot of bulk.

I still don't think WBF Stydom wins, but it would be a bit closer.
Y

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
Two of my favorites.  I would wake up early in the morning to watch Lee Haneys program on espn.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Imagine the 1991 Olympia line-up if the WBF didn't exist:

Lee Haney, Gary Strydom, Mike Christian, Dorian Yates, Vince Taylor

Don't forget Berry DeMey, Jim Quinn and Eddie Robinson