Author Topic: Anyone use Popcorn Time streaming app?  (Read 4450 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Anyone use Popcorn Time streaming app?
« on: March 13, 2014, 08:52:37 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/12/popcorn-time-movies_n_4943351.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

You know for watching the ASC and O?  <-- just to make thread BB related.

There is a place on the Internet where any movie can be instantly streamed in perfect high-definition quality. Like a Netflix that actually has the selection you want, it's filled with all the movies you don't want to spend $12 to see in theaters but would happily watch for free from the comfort of your couch.

It's called Popcorn Time, and it's making illegal online piracy scary simple.

The downloadable app for Windows, Mac and Linux -- that launched about a month ago but is recently gaining steam -- works with BitTorrent to let users download movies from the Web completely free. An impressively sized selection means users can watch this year's Oscar-winning films or the movies still in theaters -- selections that might never make it to their Netflix accounts.

But the genius of Popcorn Time is that it's so easy to use that people might not even realize what they're doing is illegal.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: Anyone use Popcorn Time streaming app?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 09:01:25 AM »
Movies online?  Could spell trouble for the entertainment industry.  I wouldn't be surprised if this led to new legislation ostensibly written to protect IP but actually designed to throttle the free flow of all data and direct communication to avenues easily surveilled and censored.

We'll have to be on our guard.

Yanin

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 09:05:53 AM »
I used to stream movies from my iPhone over AirPlay but since the site got shut down just been using torrents. Anyone have a good phone friendly site for movies?

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 12:38:09 PM »
I used to stream movies from my iPhone over AirPlay but since the site got shut down just been using torrents. Anyone have a good phone friendly site for movies?

i've never used it (don't have a mobile never mind iphone), but this is what most people i know use for watching films on their iphones

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 01:12:50 PM »
Movies online?  Could spell trouble for the entertainment industry.  I wouldn't be surprised if this led to new legislation ostensibly written to protect IP but actually designed to throttle the free flow of all data and direct communication to avenues easily surveilled and censored.

We'll have to be on our guard.

The movie industry is a million times more powerful than the music industry.  Napster when it used to deal with music lasted years, once it started allowing the download of movies it got shutdown instantly.

Nicademus

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 03:03:07 PM »
I use it.  It's decent-it's still in beta mode and most of the movies are new dvd releases but it's cool.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 04:05:59 PM »
Wow, thank you very much for this post.  Checked out Popcorn Time and it's awesome.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 04:21:39 PM »
A

Nicademus

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 05:23:19 PM »

I'm more of a Titan Fall and FIFA guy myself.

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 05:57:17 PM »
One thing to remember is that you are seeding while you are watching.  Seeding is how they get you.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 09:10:33 PM »
Americans are fat.

Antonio fella

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 08:08:05 PM »
"Popcorn time is over.... "

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2108606/popcorn-time-is-over-as-streaming-site-shuts-down.html

"It’s over. Just days after launching a BitTorrent-based movie streaming site, Popcorn Time pulled the plug on Friday. And it’s not entirely clear why.

In a blog post, Popcorn Time implied that the open-source, transnational effort was brought low by pro-copyright agencies. “Popcorn Time as a project is legal,” the site said in a crossposting on Medium. “We checked. Four times.”

But while the site’s creators expounded at length on how popular Popcorn Time had been, the post concluded on a negative note.

”Popcorn Time is shutting down today,” the site’s creators said. “Not because we ran out of energy, commitment, focus or allies. But because we need to move on with our lives. Our experiment has put us at the doors of endless debates about piracy and copyright, legal threats and the shady machinery that makes us feel in danger for doing what we love. And that’s not a battle we want a place in.”"

:'( :'( :'( :'(

shit .... i liked it ...pip
!

SamuelR

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 08:26:17 AM »
I use it and love it!

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2020, 08:27:16 AM »
I use it and love it!

Are all dogs the same though?
Q