Author Topic: Gustavo ain't big for a pro bodybuilder  (Read 36059 times)

M1

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
Gustavo ain't big for a pro bodybuilder
« on: January 17, 2006, 04:43:45 AM »
Gustavo isn't big for a pro bodybuilder. check out these back double bicep shots and side shots from the O

Ronnie and Jay both 22 inch arm

Gustavo has small arms in comparison to those guys in the pics, especially the side poses, Jay's arm is way bigger than Gustavo's, the pics prove it

we're talking at least 3 inches smaller

Gustavo is like 5 ft 7 tops, we all know Jay is 5ft 9, and Jay is at least 2 inches taller in these pics

He says he's 240-250 lbs at competition, I don't believe it, we all know Jay and Ronnie are both about 270 lbs onstage, and they make Gustavo look real small in comparison, especially back shots, wheels and  calves shot, they loo like they outweigh by at least 40-50 lbs, not 20 lbs as he claims, I don't think he can be more than 220-225 lbs ripped

I'd only trust the weigh ins if they were done in underwear and nothing else, anyone can fill their pockets with stuff and be 20 lbs heavier than what they really are

Yeah thats big at 5ft7, but I don't think he's as big as he makes out

Check out the 2005 Ironman pic. Gustavo claims to be 250 lbs, but we all know Lee is 200 lbs contest shape, and there is no way Gustavo is 40-50 lbs heavier than Lee in that pic, Lee is looks almost the same as him, Lee's arms are actually bigger, Gustavo could only 20 lbs heavier tops

Gustavo is bound to say he's 5ft 9, 250lbs with 22 inch arms, before we know he'll be claiming he's 300 lbs off season, loads of pros exaggerate their measurements

He's a great bodybuilder, yeah he has an awesome bod and he's big, but not big for a pro. Jay and Ronnie make him look small  :o

If we saw him in person, we wouldn't be that impressed, he's the smallest guy in the top 5 O line-up by far

He's probably 220-230lbs competition, 5ft6-5ft7 with 18-19 inch arms

do you guys agree with me?

Rob1986

• Getbig III
Re: Gustavo is small for a pro bodybuilder
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 04:50:28 AM »
and still 10 inches bigger than your arms

M1

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 05:03:05 AM »
I'm not bashing Gustavo, I think he's a good bodybuilder, but I think he exaggerates his measurements and these pics prove it

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 05:07:50 AM »
he's a midget who gets milage from internet board hype

M1

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 05:18:48 AM »
he's got a cocky attitude thats for sure, if he wasn't cocky, if he a humble champion he would be twice as popular, but cockiness and unreal measurements won't make a guy liked  :-\

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 05:23:01 AM »
he's got a cocky attitude thats for sure, if he wasn't cocky, if he a humble champion he would be twice as popular, but cockiness and bullshit measurements won't make a guy liked  :-\

dude, what sort of notoriety would he receive if he said nothing and just stood there like a midget ricky ricardo?  he flames in a positive way.  a self-promoting public relations act.  it appears to be successful.
it's his schtick.

M1

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
Re: Gustavo is not big for a pro bodybuilder
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 05:24:35 AM »
yeah but if he's not careful he'll end up like King Kamali, people will be hating on him forever if his attitude doesn't change

the moment he loses or places bad, people will rip on him forever...King Kamali is exactly the same  :-\

CT

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 05:46:53 AM »
The bodyweight is probably accurate as several shows still do weigh-ins ... at the 2004 Arnold Classic Badell was 235. He has improved a lot since then so him being 240-245lbs on-stage is not unrealistic. As for height, we really cannot estimate heights from a series of pics. It depends on the exact camera angle as well as body posturing. In the pics you provided he looks shorter than Jay in the standing relaxed pose and the same height in the rear double biceps pose. From seing him at the Olympia expo I'd say that he's 5'8" as he was at least the same height as me.

Obviously if you look at certain body parts it's easy to say that he's not as heavy as he's saying. You compare him to Jay and Ronnie and in the pic provided his back looks smaller. But that's doesn't mean he is carrying less muscle. For example Jay is known for his super wide clavicles which naturally enhance back width by distancing the attachment of the lats. However that doesn't mean that the muscle mass on Badell isn't as heavy. Granted his back doesn't look as impressive though.

Also consider that Badell has some of the best hamstrings and a great chest. So it's quite possible for him to weight more than he looks (although in my mind he does look 240lbs on stage). You weight what your whole body weight.... not what your arms weight!

As for arm size. Understand that triceps mass is 2/3 of the size of the arm, so even though Badell's arm might not look as peaked as the others, it doesn't mean that they are necessarily a lot smaller. The triceps attracts less attention in a biceps pose, but its bulk is still there. Badell indeed have great triceps. I'm somewhat like him in that my biceps are not that peaked nor impressive but my triceps are very big. My training partner is the exact opposite, baseball bicep and flat triceps. His arm look bigger when doing a biceps pose, and we are the exact same body weight, but my arms are actually 1" bigger than his.

As you know, bodybuilding is all about illusion. So if you had said that Gustavo's arms don't "look" as big as Jay's I would have agreed with you. But when you say that his arms are small, then I don't agree. They might look smaller then they are beause of mass repartition and belly shape, but no doubt they are at least 21".

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 05:48:25 AM »
yeah but if he's not careful he'll end up like King Kamali, people will be hating on him forever if his attitude doesn't change

the moment he loses or places bad, people will rip on him forever...King Kamali is exactly the same  :-\

didnt know kamali came in 3rd olympia and won big shows

M1

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 05:52:57 AM »
I mean in the sense of being arrogant and cocky, and then falling flat on his face and regretting being cocky in the first place....trust me it'll to him

M1

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 05:54:15 AM »
The bodyweight is probably accurate as several shows still do weigh-ins ... at the 2004 Arnold Classic Badell was 235. He has improved a lot since then so him being 240-245lbs on-stage is not unrealistic. As for height, we really cannot estimate heights from a series of pics. It depends on the exact camera angle as well as body posturing. In the pics you provided he looks shorter than Jay in the standing relaxed pose and the same height in the rear double biceps pose. From seing him at the Olympia expo I'd say that he's 5'8" as he was at least the same height as me.

Obviously if you look at certain body parts it's easy to say that he's not as heavy as he's saying. You compare him to Jay and Ronnie and in the pic provided his back looks smaller. But that's doesn't mean he is carrying less muscle. For example Jay is known for his super wide clavicles which naturally enhance back width by distancing the attachment of the lats. However that doesn't mean that the muscle mass on Badell isn't as heavy. Granted his back doesn't look as impressive though.

Also consider that Badell has some of the best hamstrings and a great chest. So it's quite possible for him to weight more than he looks (although in my mind he does look 240lbs on stage). You weight what your whole body weight.... not what your arms weight!

As for arm size. Understand that triceps mass is 2/3 of the size of the arm, so even though Badell's arm might not look as peaked as the others, it doesn't mean that they are necessarily a lot smaller. The triceps attracts less attention in a biceps pose, but its bulk is still there. Badell indeed have great triceps. I'm somewhat like him in that my biceps are not that peaked nor impressive but my triceps are very big. My training partner is the exact opposite, baseball bicep and flat triceps. His arm look bigger when doing a biceps pose, and we are the exact same body weight, but my arms are actually 1" bigger than his.

As you know, bodybuilding is all about illusion. So if you had said that Gustavo's arms don't "look" as big as Jay's I would have agreed with you. But when you say that his arms are small, then I don't agree. They might look smaller then they are beause of mass repartition and belly shape, but no doubt they are at least 21".

yeah ok, but if Badell has such great triceps then why does do his arms look so small in the side pose??? Cos he hasn't got 21 inch arms, it's bullshit bro there no way in hell does he have 21 inch arms, they have to as big as his head, and no way are that 21. They might possibly be 20 if he's real heavy like 280lbs in the off season, but ripped man sorry 18-19 tops

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 06:50:28 AM »
get real...I am not on Badell's bandwagon....and he kinda irked me challenging coleman at the O, but the guy does have size......

give him his dues...

get the fuck out of here with that shit.....

>:(

M1

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 06:57:43 AM »
get real...I am not on Badell's bandwagon....and he kinda irked me challenging coleman at the O, but the guy does have size......

give him his dues...

get the f**k out of here with that shit.....

>:(

I'm not saying he doesn't have size, I'm just saying he's not the big mofo he makes himself out to be, yes he has awesome bod, but he's not an amazing size. He has decent size, but he's not BIG. 19 inch are big, but he'd anything special size wise.

Yes he had fantastic conditioning, proportion, muscularity but SIZE is his weakness compared to the other top pros  :-\

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 07:06:22 AM »
I'm not saying he doesn't have size, I'm just saying he's not the big mofo he makes himself out to be, yes he has awesome bod, but he's not an amazing size. He has decent size, but he's not BIG. 19 inch are big, but he'd anything special size wise.

Yes he had fantastic conditioning, proportion, muscularity but SIZE is his weakness compared to the other top pros  :-\

m1, at 5'5"  19 arms are huge

M1

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
Re: Gustavo is quite small for a pro bodybuilder
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 07:11:27 AM »
yeah bro I know, I'm not disputing that he has good size for his height, all I'm saying is that he's nothing special size-wise compared to other pros, and I really think he's needs serious size to be Mr O. He actually needs to be 260 lbs, rather than saying he is 

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 07:15:37 AM »
yeah bro I know, I'm not disputing that he has good size for his height, all I'm saying is that he's nothing special size-wise compared to other pros, and I really think he's needs serious size to be Mr O. He actually needs to be 260 lbs, rather than saying he is 

260 at 5'5"  doesnt sound healthy

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2006, 07:19:27 AM »
Troy Alves arms are bigger than I thought

CT

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2006, 07:42:15 AM »
yeah ok, but if Badell has such great triceps then why does do his arms look so small in the side pose???

Yeah ... ok  ::)

M1

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2006, 07:49:19 AM »
a fucking photoshopped cover doesn't prove anything bro. Most fucking magazine covers are photoshopped and airbrushed to hell, to make the guys in it perfect, huge, ripped without any blemishes, and thats photoshopped as well. They've added about 3 inches to Gustavo's arms and his delts are never that big, check the real pics and see. Do you really think Gustavo could lift a dumbell that big??? It's almost as big as his fucking body and it's fucking fake plates as well ::)

Tons of professional photoshoots use fake plates and then they photoshop the pics to make them look massive. It's a well known fake bro

It justs proves my point  :-\

If you don't believe me, here is a similar pose which ISN'T photoshopped, and his arms and delts are nowhere near as big as his head, but in the magazine cover, his arm is way bigger than his head and he's not even flexing, that mag cover is the most obvious photoshop I have ever seen

CT

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 08:11:31 AM »
First, I'd appreciate you not calling me an idiot. Not to brag, but I'm heavily involved in the bodybuilding scene as a coach, writer and I'm on the board of director of one of Canadian IFBB federations. I've been live to more shows than you have read about in magazines. I never attacked you personally nor have I insulted you. So I'd appreciate it if you could do the same.

If you knew anything about bodybuilding, you'd realize how much even a slight difference in diet, crbing up and water balance can make. That's why Jay Cutler (for example) came in flat and looked small - for him - at the 2004 Arnold and big and full only a few months later at the olympia. So it's reasonable to think that pics taken at different moments can prove or discredit any point of view.

Furthermore, if you knew how much difference in "appearance of size" even slight difference in posing can make, you'd realize that it's impossible to judge a guy using only one photo.

Here are some pics.

Cutler and Gustavo, both at the Olympia, similar pose.

CT

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2006, 08:13:04 AM »
Triceps, Jay is from the Olympia and Gustavo at the Arnold... note that he was better at the O than at the Arnold, but I couldn't find any pics from the side triceps at the olympia.

CT

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2006, 08:13:52 AM »
Side chest from the O

CT

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2006, 08:14:34 AM »
Side triceps vs. Dexter at the Arnold.

CT

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2006, 08:16:03 AM »
For comparison, Lee (my favorite BBer by the way) at the Arnold, same triceps pose. Lee is known for having the best arms in the world (or close to it), yet Badell isn't far off.

CT

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2006, 08:16:48 AM »
From the Arnold