Author Topic: Jone's Colorado experiment  (Read 25299 times)

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
Jone's Colorado experiment
« on: January 17, 2006, 11:57:59 AM »
For those who aren't familiar, this was the documented training of Casey Viator and Arthur Jones during May of 1973 using high intensity principles at CSU. I just came across these pics so I'd thought I'd share.

Viator was trained by Arthur Jones after a set back (I believe a car accident) and supposedly gained a staggering 63 lbs of muscle in 28 days. The pictures are remarkable, but I still have a hard time believing the figures.

before:

after:

after:

RESULTS . .
First subject (Casey Viator), 28 days
Increase in bodyweight........45.28 pounds
Loss of bodyfat..............17. 93 pounds
Muscular gain.................63. 21 pounds

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Jone's Colorado experiment
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 02:03:14 PM »
what the heck wer they doing????

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

simon

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 02:09:19 PM »
he had already been that size, in the experiment he was just returning to what he was before.  muscle memory, levrone did it every year ::)

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 04:02:35 PM »
I read a lot of that stuff......

it was interesting to say the least....don't think I would every apply any of it though

tony b

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 04:36:53 PM »
I think you can attribute a lot to that he had already been at 220 pounds and at his starting weight he was very much below what he usually was. Couple that with intense amounts of food and some training and caseys insane genetics its possible the weight gain at least

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 07:57:08 PM »
Here is one account on how Jones trained Viator from Ellington Darden's web site:

At approximately 9 o'clock on the night of June 10, 1971, Viator did 13 repetitions in the squat with a 500-pound barbell. None of his reps were half squats. They were all ass-to-heels, full squats – performed after he pre-exhausted with 750 pounds on the leg press for 20 reps, followed by 225 pounds on the leg extension for another 20 reps . . . with no rest between the exercises.

That's right, Jones pushed Viator through a double pre-exhaustion cycle: leg press, leg extension, and squat, performed back-to-back-to-back . . . with very heavy weights, in good form, for maximum repetitions . . . which was the ultimate in HIGH INTENSITY.

I had never seen anything like this leg cycle. Can you imagine squatting with a 500-pound barbell 13 times . . . after pre-exhausting your thighs?

Jones was on the left side of Viator encouraging him – or I should say shouting at him: "Slow down. Hold your head up. Keep going. Don't quit. Think about that big redhead's thighs. Goddamn it, Casey, get three more. Breathe deeply. Now . . . one more."

It worked. Viator exceeded Jones's expectations. His heart rate must have been more than 220 beats per minute for at least 2 minutes.  I'd never envisioned such intensity – ever.

Early in 2005, I interviewed Casey for my latest book, The New Bodybuilding for Old-School Results, and he remembered that workout well (it would be difficult to forget).  "I planned to hold back a little on those squats because I knew I had a bunch more stuff to do, but with 500 pounds on my back and the adrenalin flowing, all I could do was think 'Get 10 reps.' I was really surprised when I got 12 and couldn't believe I made 13. I knew then that the workout was going to be a real bitch."

A real bitch it was. From my 45 years of training experience, that three-exercise leg cycle was the most demanding and impressive series that I've ever seen.

Jones talked about it later and stated that . . . "Paul Anderson (who, at one time, was considered the world's strongest man), in his best condition, could have duplicated Viator's leg cycle. But to do so, he'd had to have an injection of Novocain in each thigh to combat the pain. Furthermore, if Anderson had survived this feat, he'd have probably died afterward."

Viator not only performed that cycle in championship style, but after a two-minute rest and some water, he continued his workout. His next-to-last movement, in his 15-exercise routine, was the triceps extension performed on the Nautilus Combination Biceps/Triceps Machine.

body88

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 09:53:50 PM »
Viator is a badass

420 Diesel

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 10:00:40 PM »
the paul anderson comment is total bullshit.  anderson could squat 800 like it was nothing.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 10:29:03 PM »
Would muscle memory and roids assist in producing that same result?

Jay Em

• Getbig II
  • The iron bug may rust... but will never die!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 08:43:10 PM »
If for nothing more than the sheer volume of cutting edge information and
experimentation, I was always entertained by Jones and his newvations (my
term).

Over a period of numerous issues, Iron Man, an iron bible of anything and
everything under the blue metal sun, carried the Jones banner. I had once vowed to myself to read everything word in Iron Man, including Jones and the experiment.

But I broke my promise when my brain just couldn't take any more. The finute
details eventually drove me to...Hoffman's Proteen of The Sea. I never did really determine which Hoffman's proteen I liked best.

I think the one he never made.

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 11:17:08 PM »
the paul anderson comment is total bullshit.  anderson could squat 800 like it was nothing.

Diesel is right on the money.

There has never been and there may never be again a human who could do ( with weight on his back ) what Paul could. There are pics of him squating 1200 lbs, with no wraps. It was unofficial because he did not do it in a meet. But, they were without question as good as anything ever whitnessed.

For those who aren't familiar, this was the documented training of Casey Viator and Arthur Jones during May of 1973 using high intensity principles at CSU. I just came across these pics so I'd thought I'd share.

Viator was trained by Arthur Jones after a set back (I believe a car accident) and supposedly gained a staggering 63 lbs of muscle in 28 days. The pictures are remarkable, but I still have a hard time believing the figures.

before:

after:

after:

And I think Casey was down, not due to a car accident, but the loss of a finger in an industrial accident ( oil rig, was it? )

Beef

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 03:56:04 AM »
I would be interested in seeing the photos of Anderson squatting with 1,200 lbs. Is this a reference to his $15,000 Mapes Hotel Challenge, or some other incident?
The newspaper accounts at the time of the Mapes fortnight performance indicated the Silver Dollar barbell weighed around 900 lbs.
I have seen the photo of Paul standing, supporting a huge, wheeled, makeshift barbell, but his legs are not bent.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 07:49:39 AM »
More on the Colorado Experiment from Dave Drapers site:

http://www.davedraper.com/forum/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/109714/page/64/vc/1

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 05:15:21 AM »
I would be interested in seeing the photos of Anderson squatting with 1,200 lbs. Is this a reference to his $15,000 Mapes Hotel Challenge, or some other incident?
The newspaper accounts at the time of the Mapes fortnight performance indicated the Silver Dollar barbell weighed around 900 lbs.
I have seen the photo of Paul standing, supporting a huge, wheeled, makeshift barbell, but his legs are not bent.

They were in an early copy of Muscle Mag International.

And for the record Joe, do you have any dought that Paul was the strongest squater of all time?

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 08:58:12 AM »
Diesel is right on the money.

There has never been and there may never be again a human who could do ( with weight on his back ) what Paul could. There are pics of him squating 1200 lbs, with no wraps. It was unofficial because he did not do it in a meet. But, they were without question as good as anything ever whitnessed.

Beef

I've posted this photo before, but I couldn't resist:

Paul Verderosa, aka "ZAZU", competed against Paul Anderson and was his good friend

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 11:10:29 AM »
Now that last picture is awesome.  That is hardcore and that is what was fun back in the day.

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2006, 12:26:30 AM »
That's a beautyful pic. I love it.

The Beef

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 05:00:57 AM »
There's a thread I started on this very guy awhile back with some cool stories about him.  It's still on page 2 of this board (see "Paul "ZAZU" Bruno from Mid-City Gym, NYC...").

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 09:24:04 AM »
Thanks, Bro.

The Beef

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 02:00:58 PM »
Killer photo. I'm not sure I'd trust those small horizonal rods on that power rack, to hold that weight.  :)
a

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2006, 02:21:43 AM »
Does anyone on here know the story about the pint or so of blood they had of Casey Viators and how steroids were put into the blood and a couple days before a contest they put the blood back into Casey through I think an IV. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 10:35:01 AM »
Does anyone on here know the story about the pint or so of blood they had of Casey Viators and how steroids were put into the blood and a couple days before a contest they put the blood back into Casey through I think an IV. 

No....but thats blood doping for ya

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2006, 01:58:20 PM »
has there ever been a really detailed description of what was done during this experiment?  Day by day breakdown, etc....I know Viator was paid for this, I think he got a bonus for every pound he gained and all that so I wonder what he ate, what his training was like...it would be a great read.
nasser=piece of shit

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2006, 05:07:01 PM »
they got an article on t-nation how jones trained viator for the 71 Mr. America:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=A81F596E8288156BF6CEBB5AC7DCC537.hydra?id=1006026

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2006, 12:15:04 PM »
they got an article on t-nation how jones trained viator for the 71 Mr. America:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=A81F596E8288156BF6CEBB5AC7DCC537.hydra?id=1006026

wow...what an awsome read.  If that is true, and I believe it is, that is the most awe inspiring workout ever...man, I'm gonna search high and low to find more stuff on this...
nasser=piece of shit