Author Topic: Vince Taylor, good training style to emulate  (Read 10830 times)

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
Vince Taylor, good training style to emulate
« on: March 19, 2014, 01:33:59 PM »

Melkor

• Getbig III
Re: Vince Taylor, good training style to emulate
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 01:50:34 PM »
100% drug built physique. He could grow his calves by walking on a beach.

the trainer

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 02:11:04 PM »
When you are on drugs and have incredible genes any kind of training in the gym will make you grow, but for the average dude compound movements within the 6 to 8 rep range should make up the base of your workout.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 04:23:51 PM »
When you are on drugs and have incredible genes any kind of training in the gym will make you grow, but for the average dude compound movements within the 6 to 8 rep range should make up the base of your workout.

Compound movements yes, but not 6-8 range. That's not enough work for the muscles in order to stimulate muscular growth. More like 10-15 reps a set, squeezing and holding the muscle in its contracted position for about half a second each rep.

Think about it - you do say 4 exercises per body part for 3 sets of 15 reps (on average for the sake of argument) - that a total of 180 reps per body part. Half a second squeeze each rep means the muscle is in it's contracted position (time under tension) for a total of 90 seconds. Add to that the negative part of the rep which is where the muscle gets torn down and you've got yourself a proper workout where the muscles have suffered significant stimulation in order to grow back bigger (with diet and sleep of course, plus drugs if you decide to go that way).

6-8 reps in a set simply won't cut it. You'll probably get stronger that way, but not bigger.

skillion

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 04:29:44 PM »
Compound movements yes, but not 6-8 range. That's not enough work for the muscles in order to stimulate muscular growth. More like 10-15 reps a set, squeezing and holding the muscle in its contracted position for about half a second each rep.

Think about it - you do say 4 exercises per body part for 3 sets of 15 reps (on average for the sake of argument) - that a total of 180 reps per body part. Half a second squeeze each rep means the muscle is in it's contracted position (time under tension) for a total of 90 seconds. Add to that the negative part of the rep which is where the muscle gets torn down and you've got yourself a proper workout where the muscles have suffered significant stimulation in order to grow back bigger (with diet and sleep of course, plus drugs if you decide to go that way).

6-8 reps in a set simply won't cut it. You'll probably get stronger that way, but not bigger.
How little you know...

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 04:31:37 PM »

You obviously havent met some elite powerlifters. 5 reps is enough to stimulate growth
l

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 04:36:19 PM »
How little you know...

Haha, really?

I did the whole 6-8 thing for about 15 years with shitloads of strength and very little size to show for it.

I've gained more pure muscle size in the last two years training with 12-15 rep sets than I did in 10 years the old way.

Most powerlifters look like shit, yes there are exceptions, but a lot of their strength comes from having the extra fat.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 04:39:14 PM »
You obviously havent met some elite powerlifters. 5 reps is enough to stimulate growth

That's the exception, not the rule. Some lifters do benefit from lower reps and gaining size on that, but it's probably genetic based on the higher proportion of fast-twitch muscle fibres they possess - you're average gym lifter doesn't have that make-up and it required to use higher reps to tear down all available muscle fibres for stimulation.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 04:39:27 PM »
ahhh yes because "elite" powerlifters never go above 5 reps

TEMPER

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 04:57:36 PM »

Claymore's counting in the dumbbell video is so godamn annoying lol...Sounds like a meth tweaker trying to count and can't go slow enough rofl...

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 05:48:22 PM »
Claymore's counting in the dumbbell video is so godamn annoying lol...Sounds like a meth tweaker trying to count and can't go slow enough rofl...
Spoto is just ridiculous!

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 06:08:25 PM »

how often do you think these guys do this type of training?

world class olympic weightlifters...The muscles they do focus on  are very thick . I thought you had an olympic lifting background? you of anyone should know.

tom prince was known for his hamstrings, he said he never went above 6 reps for any hamstring movement. .
l

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 06:11:34 PM »
Excellent video, sev.  Vince Taylor is probably the only pro that I would pay to train with.  His approach to training is unconventional yet effective.  I'm sure he's got plenty of great ideas

The way he uses the hammer strength machines in part one is maybe the best way to isolate the lats

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 06:20:36 PM »

how often do you think these gus Do this type of training?

world class olympic weightlifters...The muscles they do focus on  are very thick . I thought you had an olympic lifting background? you of anyone should know.

tom prince was known for his hamstrings, he said he never went above 6 reps for any hamstring movement. .
only one time for the video ;)

the trainer

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 07:00:17 PM »

You are wrong, you can add some isolation work with cables and machine in the 10 to 15 rep range but that should never be the base of your workout, size and strength goes hand in hand, looking like a power lifter or bodybuilder has more to do with the diet and less with the training.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 07:05:51 PM »
You are wrong, you can add some isolation work with cables and machine in the 10 to 15 rep range but that should never be the base of your workout, size and strength goes hand in hand, looking like a power lifter or bodybuilder has more to do with the diet and less with the training.

Wrong

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 07:08:41 PM »
???

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 11:01:15 PM »
Excellent video, sev.  Vince Taylor is probably the only pro that I would pay to train with.  His approach to training is unconventional yet effective.  I'm sure he's got plenty of great ideas

The way he uses the hammer strength machines in part one is maybe the best way to isolate the lats
He understands how to isolate and feel the muscle which in turns translates to proper stimulation. I learned from watching him train to warm up then crescendo the rythm to a steady pace to be maintained throughout the workout. It took me a few years to getit

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 12:08:29 AM »

::)

This place is like bbing.com sometimes.

A

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 12:36:12 AM »
Spoto is just ridiculous!

Insanely, crazily fucking strong guy. I won't be surprised if he takes the record to 750

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 12:55:23 AM »
Took me a while to learn that Muscle size and muscle strength aren't as related as I thought. As far as I'm concerned if I can grow my arms by curling 20 pounds, I would take that over being able to sling around heavy weight and my arms not growing at all.. plus fucking up my joints in the process just to impress people  ::)

I agree a bigger muscle is a stronger muscle - but only to a point. I've seen plenty of bodybuilders like this who trained lighter, and were not as strong at all, as you would assume by looking at them.. Often these guys get ragged on here. But really, if you are a competitive bodybuilder, it's irrelevant.

Sure drugs play a part but Vince is training smart, Anyway why not just keep adding weight and getting stronger in the hypertrophy range? (using perfect form - contractions/slow negs etc )  Ive learned you still grow training like this (and is far safer and won't be as traumatic to your joints and connective tissues as you get older)

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 01:11:24 AM »
He understands how to isolate and feel the muscle which in turns translates to proper stimulation. I learned from watching him train to warm up then crescendo the rythm to a steady pace to be maintained throughout the workout. It took me a few years to getit

Great point about the rhythm/pace, I honestly never considered that.

He's so "in the zone" he just goes purely by feel, never counting reps but just keeping a steady pace until achieving the desired sensation in the muscle.  Truly a master of his body

I usually try to maintain a slow negative part of the rep when lifting, but it's not really possible to keep a "rhythm" by doing so....Vince doesn't seem to worry about the negative at all.  Do you think it's important to keep the negative slow or does that not matter

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 03:59:26 AM »

the contracted position isnt eh position that makes it grow. the position where its strongest, and handles the most force, is the sweet spot.

and when i say force, i mean amount of work in a certain time..

so for biceps its easy, its the mid point in a curl- thats when the weight has the greatest force, AND when the biceps is strongest.

for pecs, its just past half way for most people, the point where the elbows are the greatest distance from the body but not lower than the body (thats when its mechanically disadvantageous).

free weight flyes are only stimulating for about 1/3 of its range..the other 2/3 the weight is either above you, or bringing your elbows below you.. pretty useless exercise really.

why would anyone want to spend their energy on portions of a rep that arent useful?..

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 04:26:04 AM »
Great point about the rhythm/pace, I honestly never considered that.

He's so "in the zone" he just goes purely by feel, never counting reps but just keeping a steady pace until achieving the desired sensation in the muscle.  Truly a master of his body

I usually try to maintain a slow negative part of the rep when lifting, but it's not really possible to keep a "rhythm" by doing so....Vince doesn't seem to worry about the negative at all.  Do you think it's important to keep the negative slow or does that not matter
Exactly! You are a smart guy. Never count anything.. just look for what it feels like.

gatts

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 06:58:46 AM »
This is the same saying a 100m  sprinter do the same kind of train of a marathonist... Both run for sure but the training principles have nothing in comon...
Different goals. Resistance vs accelaration...

Bodybuilding the goal is grow your muscles. Powerlifting lifting the much weight you can.