Author Topic: Michelle Obama says internet access should be 'universal right'  (Read 1408 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Disagree with First Lady here... if you CHOOSE to live in China, then you CHOOSE to abide by the rules of the leader that YOU ELECTED.

You dont' go into another country and tell them how to do things.

Source: The Guardian

Michelle Obama has declared that access to the internet should be a universal right, in a rare and controversial foray into the world of international politics during a cultural visit to China.

The US first lady, who is on a week-long trip to the communist state with her daughters and mother, risked upsetting her hosts in Beijing by declaring access to information as a birthright. During a speech at Peking University's Stanford Centre, she called for greater freedoms while refraining from a direct attack on the controls over information in China.

Obama told a crowd of about 200 students, most of whom were from the US: "It is so important for information and ideas to flow freely over the internet and through the media. My husband and I are on the receiving end of plenty of questioning and criticism from our media and our fellow citizens, and it's not always easy. But I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world."

She added: "When it comes to expressing yourself freely, and worshipping as you choose, and having open access to information – we believe those are universal rights that are the birthright of every person on this planet."

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Re: Michelle Obama says internet access should be 'universal right'
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 06:14:45 PM »
Translation: It's a tax payers universal right obligation to provide internet access to Obama voters.

SCRUBS

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 08:25:50 PM »
Translation: It's a tax payers universal right obligation to provide internet access to Obama voters.

Very accurate translation.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 12:49:38 AM »

No, ...she's saying that people should be able to hear the occasional brain farts scribbled by people who unfairly and unjustly criticize her and her husband, even though she finds their unwarranted accusations sometimes painful. It's worth it to her in the end, because most people turn away from the ridiculousness of it all, and as a result, it has guaranteed her hubby 8 years in the WhiteHouse.

Keep it up all you misogynistic Obama haters. Pretty soon we may see her in Washington for another 16 yrs.
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 05:26:24 AM »
F her.   Freaking welfare queen

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 06:05:07 AM »
They do have access. All they need to do is go to the local library

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 06:29:06 AM »
Please.   Have these kenyan thugs ever paid for anything themselves?  Whats next - obamaweb?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 12:03:12 PM »
What's the grin for ???

Just glad she won't be welcome back after this disastrous trip where she looks like the Freak Show coming to town w brats in tow

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 12:03:38 PM »
If she means:

-  Everyone should have unrestricted access to the web based on the common  way everyone else gets on the web, by paying for access the way it's commonly done, prices and such,
-  That governments shouldn't restrict web sites or content such as China not allowing its citizens to surf the entire web.

Then i agree.

If she means (and i don't think she means this, its just right wing spin for ignorant peeps):

-  People should have free access anywhere

then i don't agree

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 12:08:55 PM »

Just glad she won't be welcome back after this disastrous trip where she looks like the Freak Show coming to town w brats in tow
Why do you say that

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 12:11:39 PM »
Why do you say that

Did you read about her grifting Mother barking orders at the chinks and getting everyone all pissed off etc? 

Last time o-twink went to china he was treated like the alley cat to be cooked for dinner later on. 

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 02:25:13 PM »

What makes you think she won't be welcomed back? What makes you think it was a disastrous trip?
From everything I've read, the only faux pas or controversies have been committed by the host country.
Even if reports of Mrs. Robinson's behaviour and demeanor prove to be accurate, ...she's a mother-in-law, grandmother, care giver to two of the most watched, scrutinized, and vulnerable young ladies on the planet. Everyone expects "mother-in-laws" to be demanding and/or eccentric. Besides, this is China. A task master for a grandmother is nothing out of the ordinary there. She a Mom's Mom, ...and if you don't know about Chinese Mom's, you wouldn't understand. No one in their right mind is going to complain about foreign officials doing their damndest to protect all the women folk in the life of one of the most powerful men in the world? This is much ado about nothing. "Waaa... we weren't allowed to photograph them from Tower 14, we could only snap pics from Tower 15... waaa" Just a bunch of cry-babies upset they've been foiled in attempts to embarass the first lady and the POTUS.

I guarandamtee you that if Putin's wife & kids were visiting the USA, the Secret Service would be up EVERYONE's anatomy. Obama may not like Putin, but you better believe he'd do his damndest to keep his women folk safe.
w

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 02:28:30 PM »
They do have access. All they need to do is go to the local library

Not sure if you're talking about Chinese folks or not but, FWIW, from what some of the western-born English teachers over there say on a forum I frequent, nearly all Chinese students with even a lick of computer skills know how to get around the "Great Wall" of China's internet censorship.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 02:29:39 PM »

Brats?  That older daughter looks pretty fine, if you ask me.  How old is she?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 02:30:45 PM »
Not sure if you're talking about Chinese folks or not but, FWIW, from what some of the western-born English teachers over there say on a forum I frequent, nearly all Chinese students with even a lick of computer skills know how to get around the "Great Wall" of China's internet censorship.

Ya, I know Americans living in China, and they routinely circumvent the censoring through VPNs all the time.
w

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 02:32:19 PM »
Besides, this is China. A task master for a grandmother is nothing out of the ordinary there.

Outstanding!!

Why does SC need to be told that water is wet?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 02:32:23 PM »

Too young for you. She's a minor, ...and the POTUS's daughter.
You don't want to mess with that. Guantanamo Bay is still open.  ;D
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 02:46:51 PM »

pretty fine?  what are you a pedo?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 02:47:29 PM »
Outstanding!!

Why does SC need to be told that water is wet?

Cause I am fool at times.   ;)

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 02:55:02 PM »
Cause I am fool at times.   ;)

At least you can admit it at times.  ;)
w

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2014, 02:56:56 PM »
At least you can admit it at times.  ;)

You should be inspired to someday follow his example.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2014, 03:01:15 PM »
You should be inspired to someday follow his example.

You mean post 24/7 about how I detest a political leader who I think is leading us to hell in a hand basket?
No thanks. I'd rather do something pro-active to insure my future and those I care about, rather than scream, rant, rave, and go all Asbergers on something I have no control over. However, in certain ways, I have been following his example. Check out my avatar. Cute little guy wouldn't you say?
w