Author Topic: Working out while sore from previous workout?  (Read 9331 times)

sagittal chest

• Getbig III
  • I hate the French
Working out while sore from previous workout?
« on: March 24, 2014, 05:28:33 PM »
I did a really intense chest workout some days ago, starting with heavy bench pressing using explosive movements, followed by slow negatives, then followed that with less and less weight until I was bench pressing a small amount - totally exhausting the muscle.

Essentially I did hit training combined with volume.

I followed the benching with lots of indirect work - right down to push-ups.

The result is, days later I am still sore - something I haven't experienced in years of working out.

I am eager to workout again, however I am not sure if it is counter productive to do so if the muscles are still sore - despite days passing.

Any thoughts?

bradistani

• Getbig V
Re: Working out while sore from previous workout?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 05:30:30 PM »

Anti-Inflammatory Lemon Ginger Tea!

This tea is excellent for combating inflammation.

In particular, this tea can help reduce pain from sore muscles / injuries.

You can use this tea as an anti-inflammatory remedy after particularly tough workouts.

It is also great for combating colds and flus.

Recipe:

Grate 1 thumb of ginger
    Add ginger to boiling water
    Boil & then strain

Add 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
    Add lemon juice to taste
    (Approx 1/2 a lemon)

sagittal chest

• Getbig III
  • I hate the French
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 05:33:41 PM »

You can use this tea as an anti-inflammatory remedy after particularly tough workouts.

Recipe:

Grate 1 thumb of ginger
    Boil & then strain

Add lemon juice to taste
    (Approx 1/2 a lemon)

Thanks bro,
I will try this (I might actually have some).
However that doesn't answer my question of whether it is counter productive to workout while the muscles are still sore.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 05:35:40 PM »
I would leave it til muscle rested. You get used to soreness of new workout after three weeks or so anyway.

sagittal chest

• Getbig III
  • I hate the French
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 05:41:17 PM »
I would leave it til muscle rested. You get used to soreness of new workout after three weeks or so anyway.

True.

Hey, You'll have to send me a legit melanotan link.
I've been looking in to this stuff since you mentioned it (can't believe I haven't heard of it before).
Between that and my new gh pen ill be ready to don the sparkled thong just in time for summer.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 05:52:47 PM »

This is a big mistake and shows that you know little about the hypertrophy process. The protocols used to get sore were foolish and eventually will be unproductive.

sagittal chest

• Getbig III
  • I hate the French
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 08:09:03 PM »
This is a big mistake and shows that you know little about the hypertrophy process. The protocols used to get sore were foolish and eventually will be unproductive.

Please explain the hypertrophy process

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 08:17:14 PM »

Recipe:

Grate 1 thumb of ginger
    Boil & then strain

Add lemon juice to taste
    (Approx 1/2 a lemon)

Cool, I'm going to try this!!

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 08:20:59 PM »
Rules....

As if ~

If you know what the actual muscle repair process feels like and you accustomed to reaping the results by following a particular protocol, then by all means, do so...

I doubt that you've made many gains working on muscles that are still in the process of repairing from the damage done prior.

A little logic goes a long ways. If it happens to cross over into "bro science' then so be it.

One thing that may help. Remember this: A good body... takes a long time to build. Don't care who you are.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 08:23:35 PM »
would DOMS to be that love

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 08:23:58 PM »
would DOMS to be that love

you're naughty

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 09:24:30 PM »
Please explain the hypertrophy process

From my experience the vast majority of guys who bodybuild believe the wrong things. The fact is most of you are NOT growing or are doing so imperceptively slowly. Instead of thinking the soreness is a nuisance it is actually a signal that some remodelling is occurring. That is, you are growing as long as you eat enough. No supplements are required just a balanced diet. When you train regularly but seldom induce any DOMS then you are merely maintaining your size and not increasing it. You have to avoid complete recovery because then it will be harder to trigger growth because of the repeated bout effect. It is easier to keep a muscle growing by training it every 3rd day with a program that ends with multiple sets (6) with the maximum resistance for 20 to 10 reps. Start with 20 reps and end with 10 to 12 with the same weight after the third set. Do not use these muscles again in the two rest days but if you were training arms then do legs. Try this for from 2 to 4 weeks then change your program. Your connective tissue needs the rest but the muscles probably not. You have to avoid injuries at all costs. Don't do deads, upright rows, benching and perhaps hacks. More later if anyone is interested.[/color]

Dr Kincaid

• Getbig III
  • Ice machine broken
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 10:10:37 PM »
Vince can you also speak on training to failure please.

sagittal chest

• Getbig III
  • I hate the French
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 12:38:08 AM »

From my experience the vast majority of guys who bodybuild believe the wrong things. The fact is most of you are NOT growing or are doing so imperceptively slowly. Instead of thinking the soreness is a nuisance it is actually a signal that some remodelling is occurring. That is, you are growing as long as you eat enough. No supplements are required just a balanced diet. When you train regularly but seldom induce any DOMS then you are merely maintaining your size and not increasing it. You have to avoid complete recovery because then it will be harder to trigger growth because of the repeated bout effect. It is easier to keep a muscle growing by training it every 3rd day with a program that ends with multiple sets (6) with the maximum resistance for 20 to 10 reps. Start with 20 reps and end with 10 to 12 with the same weight after the third set. Do not use these muscles again in the two rest days but if you were training arms then do legs. Try this for from 2 to 4 weeks then change your program. Your connective tissue needs the rest but the muscles probably not. You have to avoid injuries at all costs. Don't do deads, upright rows, benching and perhaps hacks. More later if anyone is interested.

Forgive me; Im a little tipsy -
So you're telling me you believe Lustral and Dyslexic are incorrect according to you, and that you should work out the same muscles every third day - even if still sore?

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 12:48:43 AM »
I train my whole body every other day.. obviously the volume per muscle is low but overall per week I do more sets than with a classic split

sagittal chest

• Getbig III
  • I hate the French
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 12:57:41 AM »
I train my whole body every other day.. obviously the volume per muscle is low but overall per week I do more sets than with a classic split

No disrespect meant, but you are not necessarily sore, so the comment isn't really relevant.
I used to train that way though - every other day.

Now I am doing explosive movements to generate power, with slow negatives.
And with each set, I lower the weight slightly - so that I am exhausting every last bit of energy the muscle has.
With this method, I am generating soreness each time - and hopefully facilitating growth.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 01:00:38 AM »
No disrespect meant, but you are not necessarily sore, so the comment isn't really relevant.

And with each set, I lower the weight slightly - so that I am exhausting every last bit of energy the muscle has.
With this method, I am generating soreness each time - and hopefully facilitating growth.

I think the only logical thing to do in this situation is to go out and buy a horse.

then take the horse out back

and shoot the horse.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 01:03:39 AM »

I am sore most of the times I have to train the same bodypart again. As far as "explosive movements to generate power" are concerned, you might get better interaction on a powerlifting forum. I thought we were bodybuilding here.

sagittal chest

• Getbig III
  • I hate the French
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 01:09:33 AM »
I am sore most of the times I have to train the same bodypart again. As far as "explosive movements to generate power" are concerned, you might get better interaction on a powerlifting forum. I thought we were bodybuilding here.

Ok, so you are sore and are making gains I assume.

Regarding 'powerlifting vs. bodybuilding'
I am not powerlifting because I do far more sets than they do -
And also I do a lot of negatives - which powerlifters don't do as far as I know.

I am not sure if this is going to work - I am experimenting.
As I said, I was doing the every other day thing like you, however I feel like I have stagnated.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 01:13:19 AM »
Ok, so you are sore and are making gains I assume.

Regarding 'powerlifting vs. bodybuilding'
I am not powerlifting because I do far more sets than they do -
And also I do a lot of negatives - which powerlifters don't do as far as I know.

I am not sure if this is going to work - I am experimenting.
As I said, I was doing the every other day thing like you, however I feel like I have stagnated.
Do you have a picture of yourself? easier to see if what you do is working or not

sagittal chest

• Getbig III
  • I hate the French
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 01:20:10 AM »
Do you have a picture of yourself? easier to see if what you do is working or not

Yes, it's 2 am though.
Ill pm something tomorrow

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 04:05:01 AM »
My chest is always sore for a few days after, I also follow similar workouts to your routine, I start with ehavy coumpound then half way switch to machines and do drop sets and sometimes finish off with 3 sets of press-ups to failure....by the end I feel like ive had an implant, chest feels solid and sore as hell.

I only train one body part per week so the next few workouts my chest loosens up from doing back exercices (pull ups...etc)
S

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 05:23:06 AM »
This is how you get hurt.  You younger guys think you're invincible.  Let the muscles heal.  When the soreness is gone, then hit it again.

This is simple common sense... but then again common sense is not common.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 06:29:13 AM »
This is how you get hurt.  You younger guys think you're invincible.  Let the muscles heal.  When the soreness is gone, then hit it again.

This is simple common sense... but then again common sense is not common.

That is essentially what millions are doing and no wonder they aren't growing much. The so-called common sense isn't based on science.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 06:32:22 AM »
^ Are you oldies telling me that if you get DOMS and aches you just stay at home and rest?

We're not talking about an inflamed knee here or a trapped nerve in a shoulder. CT Fletcher doesn't believe in overtraining, the old school bodybuilders trained morning and night for many hours...this pussyfication of bodybuilding is a recent phenomena. I did triathlons, we swam ran and cycled every day most days of the week. Track athletes train twice a day and run shit loads on their legs daily. Pain and rest are subjective.
S