Author Topic: Scott Hall makes WWE Hall of Fame....as Razor Ramon  (Read 14287 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Scott Hall makes WWE Hall of Fame....as Razor Ramon
« on: March 24, 2014, 07:42:00 PM »
He's being inducted as Razor. No mention or reference to the nWo whatsoever.

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
Re: Scott Hall makes WWE Hall of Fame....as Razor Ramon
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 09:15:55 PM »
Vince hates it because he can't take credit for the NWO...
Stupid to induct as razor Ramon...

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:10:01 AM »
He's being inducted as Razor. No mention or reference to the nWo whatsoever.
kevin nash as diesel next? or next year.
F

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 09:02:13 AM »
Vince hates it because he can't take credit for the NWO...
Stupid to induct as razor Ramon...

Not really!! Without Hall becoming Razor, there would have been no nWo. Plus, the nWo was more about Hogan turning heel. That's what really blew up the faction.

Dago_Joe

• Getbig III
  • Better to look good than to feel good: ALWAYS
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 10:02:29 AM »
WWE sued WCW when Hall left so that he couldnt use the Razor Ramon character.  Ridiculous lawsuit saying he couldn't do the "hispanic" voice.  WTF?  Scott Hall was truly a great wrestler and talent, he deserves his spot no matter all his substance abuse problems. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 10:24:33 AM »
WWE sued WCW when Hall left so that he couldnt use the Razor Ramon character.  Ridiculous lawsuit saying he couldn't do the "hispanic" voice.  WTF?  Scott Hall was truly a great wrestler and talent, he deserves his spot no matter all his substance abuse problems. 

What was ridiculous about it? Hall was acting like Razor Ramon, not like Scott Hall. The whole nWo thing was to give the impression that then-WWF was invading WCW. Hall was calling Hogan "The Huckster" and Savage "The Nacho Man", even Ted Turner was "Billionaire Ted".

Hall and Nash were acting like Razor and Diesel, respectively. In fact, they basically had to do a promo where Bischoff asked them flat-out "Do you work for the WWF?", to which they both answered no.

Dago_Joe

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 10:28:24 AM »
What was ridiculous about it? Hall was acting like Razor Ramon, not like Scott Hall. The whole nWo thing was to give the impression that then-WWF was invading WCW. Hall was calling Hogan "The Huckster" and Savage "The Nacho Man", even Ted Turner was "Billionaire Ted".

Hall and Nash were acting like Razor and Diesel, respectively. In fact, they basically had to do a promo where Bischoff asked them flat-out "Do you work for the WWF?", to which they both answered no.

It would be like asking Hogan not to say brother or Savage not to say oh yeah dig it.  Vince is an egomaniac but he does not own a fake accent.  Thats my point. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 10:35:52 AM »
It would be like asking Hogan not to say brother or Savage not to say oh yeah dig it.  Vince is an egomaniac but he does not own a fake accent.  Thats my point.  

Hogan had the rights to his character, same with Savage I think. Hall did not have the rights to the Razor Ramon schtick.

Hall didn't have a Hispanic accent, until he became Razor Ramon; I don't remember a toothpick or his calling himself the bad guy, prior to 1992.

When Hall showed up on WCW TV in 1996, the implication wasn't that "Hey, Scott Hall is back!". It was "LOOK!! IT'S RAZOR RAMON". Remember his first promo that year?

"You know who I am....But, you don't know why I'm here!".

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 02:38:24 PM »
I thought it was weird that there was no mention of NWO. That being said he def deserves to be in.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 03:06:37 PM »
Does Hall have a pacemaker, now?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 03:10:38 PM »
I thought it was weird that there was no mention of NWO. That being said he def deserves to be in.

The nWo angle was at least just as big a part of his fame as the Razor gimmick. Financially, he was more successful as nWo Scott Hall.

This is just Vince just being Vince.

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 04:03:53 PM »
I like Scott Hall the most out of "the clique". He came across as the most honest and least bitchy member, its a pity he had the personal problems that he did. Used to love Razor Ramon when I was younger, would've been a much better choice for World Champ in '95 than Diesel.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 04:46:52 PM »
I was a teen at the time when a cable channel would show AWA wrestling. I remember him as "Big Scott Hall." He was in a tag team with Kurt Hennig. I was just getting into lifting and was in awe of his physique. Dude was a monster. You don't see too many guys that tall with those proportions.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 05:35:54 PM »
Scott Hall was making wayyyyy more money with WCW and has been involved in some of the biggest storylines in the business with the NWO angle. To induct him as Razor Ramon is a JOKE and only people with no wrestling knowledge and their noses so far up WWE's ass would back that up. Hall was one of the biggest earners of the business and NOT while in WWE. Bottom line.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 05:51:45 PM »
Scott Hall was making wayyyyy more money with WCW and has been involved in some of the biggest storylines in the business with the NWO angle. To induct him as Razor Ramon is a JOKE and only people with no wrestling knowledge and their noses so far up WWE's ass would back that up. Hall was one of the biggest earners of the business and NOT while in WWE. Bottom line.

And that's why WCW went out of business....overpaying people who didn't produce main-event quality matches. The nWo may have started with Hall, so to speak. But, it was all about Hogan turning heel.  Nobody cared about Hall prior to 1992. Otherwise, he would have been making that big money, long before he became Razor Ramon.

If (as Nash mentioned on WWE legends), they would have had Sting be the 3rd man instead of Hogan, the nWo wouldn't have had nearly the same impact.

The whole nWo gimmick was based on the perception that WWF was invading WCW. Hall was acting like Razor Ramon, period. And Nash was basically Diesel. Two of the biggest "New Generation" guys of the WWF were invading WCW; then they end up with the WWF's biggest and most iconic star, Hulk Hogan.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 06:23:08 PM »
And that's why WCW went out of business....overpaying people who didn't produce main-event quality matches. The nWo may have started with Hall, so to speak. But, it was all about Hogan turning heel.  Nobody cared about Hall prior to 1992. Otherwise, he would have been making that big money, long before he became Razor Ramon.

If (as Nash mentioned on WWE legends), they would have had Sting be the 3rd man instead of Hogan, the nWo wouldn't have had nearly the same impact.

The whole nWo gimmick was based on the perception that WWF was invading WCW. Hall was acting like Razor Ramon, period. And Nash was basically Diesel. Two of the biggest "New Generation" guys of the WWF were invading WCW; then they end up with the WWF's biggest and most iconic star, Hulk Hogan.

The nWo's "invasion" angle was very brief compared to length of the faction's run. Once they'd recruited half of the WCW roster between the Wolf-pack and the Black & White, it became more like a gang. Hall stayed over long after ditching the accent and became more over just being himself, which is even more reason to acknowledge his WCW run.

Razor Ramon was a cheesy character created at a time when WWF's ratings were at their worst. Being the top guy in the mid-90's WWF was like being the valedictorian of summer school. The Razor gimmick was the most money and success Hall had enjoyed to that point, but it wasn't until he branched out into the edgier version of himself that he reached his largest audience and made the most money. A guy with fake gold and faker Cuban accent would have died with the rest of the "New Generation."

Scott evolved in a way that he flourished among the elite of the "Attitude Era" (I'm using that term to reference the atmosphere of wrestling at that time, in case anyone feels compelled to "correct" me that Hall was in WCW, and the AE belongs to WWE) just as Austin ditched the "Ringmaster" crap, and Hunter abandoned the aristocratic blue blood gimmick in favor of the cool HHH persona.

To fail to acknowledge Hall's accomplishments in WCW would be like inducting Austin based on his "Stunning Steve" days while ignoring his run atop the Fed.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 06:31:20 PM »

No...thats not why WCW went out of business and if u did your homework on the topic you would understand how and why they went out of business.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 06:59:25 PM »
No...thats not why WCW went out of business and if u did your homework on the topic you would understand how and why they went out of business.

I did my homework, as those statements came from former WCW guys (i.e. Booker T) and the fellows behind the scenes (i.e. JJ Dillon, who stated that WCW was getting killed on PPVs by WWE; see the 25:00 mark from the link below, part 1).

Hall's "favored nations" contract was another stupid idea. Whatever extra money WCW had to cough up, to get other WWF guys, they had to match for Hall. Nash claimed that Hall was dying to get him to jumping, knowing that WCW would pay him more (and would subsequently have to bump up Hall's salary).

And that whole debacle with each of them getting and extra $400K, based on the fake Razor and Diesel storyline that Jim Ross did in WWF was PRICELESS (14:00 mark, link 1).

WCW kept bleeding cash, and when Turner sold it to Time Warner, the suits there (who were hardly wrestling fans) weren't going to subsidize a product that was costing them dinero. So, they sold it to McMahon. The rest is history.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnp7hf_wwe-roundtable-discussion-re-nwo-part-1_sport

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnp8pk_wwe-roundtable-discussion-re-nwo-part-2_sport

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 07:23:47 PM »
I did my homework, as those statement came from former WCW guys (i.e. Booker T) and the fellows behind the scenes (i.e. JJ Dillon, who stated that WCW was getting killed on PPVs by WWE).

Hall's "favored nations" contract was another stupid idea. Whatever extra money WCW had to cough up, to get other WWF guys, they had to match for Hall. Nash claimed that Hall was dying to get him to jumping, knowing that WCW would pay him more (and would subsequently have to bump up Hall's salary).

And that whole debacle with each of them getting and extra $400K, based on the fake Razor and Diesel storyline that Jim Ross did in WWF was PRICELESS.
No u didn't do your home work and as typically u, your posts are based on hearsay, information misinformation misinterpretation and what you read on google and hear on dvds (which guys are paid to comment). You're a "mark" who believes in the storylines u watch on tv and 95% of your posts prove it. Then again...your also someone who thinks The Miz is a Ric Flair caliber talent.
WCW went out of business due to poor creative ideas that lacked putting asses in seats. Stupidity such as the finger poke of doom and putting the world title on David Arquette are only small examples and when you have non wrestling people in suits from TBS that don't know the wrestling business and our how its construed, its like putting a 7 year old behind the wheel of a Nascar. They paid there star wrestlers big but they were generating a lot more in revenue from tv especially when they buried WWE in ratings back in 1998.
By 2000-2001, most of the top names such as Hogan and Savage had already left WCW as there contracts expired so your big nitro and thunder shows went from a three hour timeslot to one hour and people were forced to watch nobodies like chuck palumbo, shawn staziak a few AAA high flyers and welterweights and no one will pay to see that let alone buy a ticket to a show.

Dago_Joe

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 07:48:48 PM »
No u didn't do your home work and as typically u, your posts are based on hearsay, information misinformation misinterpretation and what you read on google and hear on dvds (which guys are paid to comment). You're a "mark" who believes in the storylines u watch on tv and 95% of your posts prove it. Then again...your also someone who thinks The Miz is a Ric Flair caliber talent.
WCW went out of business due to poor creative ideas that lacked putting asses in seats. Stupidity such as the finger poke of doom and putting the world title on David Arquette are only small examples and when you have non wrestling people in suits from TBS that don't know the wrestling business and our how its construed, its like putting a 7 year old behind the wheel of a Nascar. They paid there star wrestlers big but they were generating a lot more in revenue from tv especially when they buried WWE in ratings back in 1998.
By 2000-2001, most of the top names such as Hogan and Savage had already left WCW as there contracts expired so your big nitro and thunder shows went from a three hour timeslot to one hour and people were forced to watch nobodies like chuck palumbo, shawn staziak a few AAA high flyers and welterweights and no one will pay to see that let alone buy a ticket to a show.

I remember going to a Nitro towards the end of the companies run and the place was half empty AND they were giving away tickets for free!!  Free tickets and the place was still half empty.  Sad site to see.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 07:53:58 PM »

Learn to spell, genius, before you beat your gums about who knows what. And where in the world did you get that stupid Miz comment?

You basically repeated what I said. People who weren't into wrestling took over the company. When WCW kept bleeding cash, they jettisoned it to McMahon.

And you can't even get your time line straight. 1998 (May 1998, to be more precise) was when WCW's 83-week streak of Nitro beating Raw came TO AN END. That's when it got competitive. It even got to the point where TAPED Raw shows were beating LIVE Nitro programs.

The death knell finally came in late '98/early '99, when Tony Schiavone made the announcement that Mankind was going to beat Rock for the WWF title, on a taped version of Raw. WCW had done this several times before then. But, it backfired this time. Hundreds of thousands of viewers swtiched from Nitro to Raw to see Foley win the belt. Raw NEVER trailed Nitro in the ratings again. And that's with Hogan and Savage still under contract to WCW.....so much for that tripe.

WCW paid these guys too much money; and they under-performed. They no-showed or gave crappy matches, especially on the pay-per-view events. Need I remind you of that debacle that was the Hogan-Warrior rematch at Halloween Havoc? They were getting paid, regardless; and it showed in their performances.

Meanwhile, the hard-working midcarders that kept the company afloat started bailing (Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero, Mysterio, et. al.). They saw McMahon turned Austin and Foley into superstars (as he'd done with Hall and Nash). WCW ended up stuck with no midcarders to carry the day and overpaid underperforming superstars, relying on name recognition.

It got to the point where the only guy worth watching was Goldberg. WCW had to put him out two to three times a night on Nitro. But, you can only see him squash so many people, before it gets tiring. Or, you do as I did: Watch Goldberg dismantle some chump, while commercials are on Raw; match ends; turn it back to Raw. And when Goldberg went down, after putting his arm through that limousine window, it got brutal.

So, your other main-event guys are dogging it (getting paid ridiculous jack, regardless); you have no solid midcard roster; and your lone golden goose is out for nearly a year. And, now you have guys running the show who aren't exactly dedicated to the business and refuse to keep coughing up money to sustain WCW. Gee! How could that company possibly go out of business?

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 02:26:51 AM »
Learn to spell, genius, before you beat your gums about who knows what. And where in the world did you get that stupid Miz comment?

You basically repeated what I said. People who weren't into wrestling took over the company. When WCW kept bleeding cash, they jettisoned it to McMahon.

And you can't even get your time line straight. 1998 (May 1998, to be more precise) was when WCW's 83-week streak of Nitro beating Raw came TO AN END. That's when it got competitive. It even got to the point where TAPED Raw shows were beating LIVE Nitro programs.

The death knell finally came in late '98/early '99, when Tony Schiavone made the announcement that Mankind was going to beat Rock for the WWF title, on a taped version of Raw. WCW had done this several times before then. But, it backfired this time. Hundreds of thousands of viewers swtiched from Nitro to Raw to see Foley win the belt. Raw NEVER trailed Nitro in the ratings again. And that's with Hogan and Savage still under contract to WCW.....so much for that tripe.

WCW paid these guys too much money; and they under-performed. They no-showed or gave crappy matches, especially on the pay-per-view events. Need I remind you of that debacle that was the Hogan-Warrior rematch at Halloween Havoc? They were getting paid, regardless; and it showed in their performances.

Meanwhile, the hard-working midcarders that kept the company afloat started bailing (Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero, Mysterio, et. al.). They saw McMahon turned Austin and Foley into superstars (as he'd done with Hall and Nash). WCW ended up stuck with no midcarders to carry the day and overpaid underperforming superstars, relying on name recognition.

It got to the point where the only guy worth watching was Goldberg. WCW had to put him out two to three times a night on Nitro. But, you can only see him squash so many people, before it gets tiring. Or, you do as I did: Watch Goldberg dismantle some chump, while commercials are on Raw; m
atch ends; turn it back to Raw. And when Goldberg went down, after putting his arm through that limousine window, it got brutal.

So, your other main-event guys are dogging it (getting paid ridiculous jack, regardless); you have no solid midcard roster; and your lone golden goose is out for nearly a year. And, now you have guys running the show who aren't exactly dedicated to the business and refuse to keep coughing up money to sustain WCW. Gee! How could that company possibly go out of business?

Im not on here to win a spelling bee champ and you don't have to give me any low downs on stories or timelines. I know more about the business than you'll ever know and its from fact and I don't need to sit / google / research for hours like a dumb mark to attempt to prove a point. My earlier post still stands and your joke of a rebuttal can't even come close.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 05:27:54 AM »

IMO, three hours was too long for a weekly wrestling show. It's too much time to fill. WWF/WWE has always survived by its TV exposure. WCW was fortunate that they were essentially owned by a television station. It still wasn't enough to save them in the end.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 07:12:38 AM »

IMO, three hours was too long for a weekly wrestling show. It's too much time to fill. WWF/WWE has always survived by its TV exposure. WCW was fortunate that they were essentially owned by a television station. It still wasn't enough to save them in the end.
I remember Arn Anderson mentioning that they would be an hour into the show and they didnt even know what they were doing creatively.  Guys were going out there and flying off the top of there heads.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 07:17:37 AM »
I remember Arn Anderson mentioning that they would be an hour into the show and they didnt even know what they were doing creatively.  Guys were going out there and flying off the top of there heads.

Jericho and Chavo were talking about that on Jerichos podcast.