Author Topic: Question for the Getbiggers with a non English first language  (Read 3388 times)

bigmc

• Getbig V
Re: Question for the Getbiggers with a non English first language
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2014, 08:37:05 AM »
I was your next door neighbour on the Lyra star system, you were always in my garden stealing gorangi fruits from my trees.

tears in my eyes

fucking gorangi fruits  ;D
T

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2014, 05:02:37 AM »
When i was 11 yo i whatched First Blood countless times.

Understandig Stalone ramblings kinda make an expert in english language.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2014, 05:06:52 AM »
I was your next door neighbour on the Lyra star system, you were always in my garden stealing gorangi fruits from my trees.
I doubt it. Back then humans were different and much more evolved than our animal selves of today. It was truly a different race. But I do remember a life when I found a tall tree and used to pee on it quite often. It had your complexion.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2014, 05:11:59 AM »
What was/is the hardest thing to learn when you learnt English?
I was trying to explain something to someone here in Germany the other day and thought, English really could be confusing if you didn't grow up with it.

Second question - how did you all get so good at it? I'm always pretty impressed at how well some of you non native speakers write in English.

For me the challenge is keeping the various dialects separate. Specifically UK, US and Indian English, as I have to switch between those three constantly. Talking to, e.g., a German in English is very relaxing, because I can just talk in a pidgin of those three major dialects and nobody cares. Happy to say I don't work with Aussies and Kiwis right now, as that would again complicate matters.

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2014, 05:18:37 AM »
For me the challenge is keeping the various dialects separate. Specifically UK, US and Indian English, as I have to switch between those three constantly. Talking to, e.g., a German in English is very relaxing, because I can just talk in a pidgin of those three major dialects and nobody cares. Happy to say I don't work with Aussies and Kiwis right now, as that would again complicate matters.

If you have to do business with a German, Dutch, Swede, etc....it's pretty much a given that they'll talk a decent enough English so that the whole conversation doesn't turn to a Marx Brothers sketch. I have a lot of Japanese clients and despite their abilities for a lot of things, they're quite thick when it comes to learning foreign languages and English is generally what they'll master the most. But fuck it, the number of times I scratched my head listening to gibberish, wondering what was getting lost in translation.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2014, 05:21:22 AM »
Thanks for all the responses people.

I should have disqualified you Scandinavians - it seems like you all come out of the womb speaking English better than native English speakers (maybe not the Finns so much).

LOL how unfair! ;)

It's like we're the CalvinH's in this questionnaire.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2014, 05:50:03 AM »
If you have to do business with a German, Dutch, Swede, etc....it's pretty much a given that they'll talk a decent enough English so that the whole conversation doesn't turn to a Marx Brothers sketch. I have a lot of Japanese clients and despite their abilities for a lot of things, they're quite thick when it comes to learning foreign languages and English is generally what they'll master the most. But fuck it, the number of times I scratched my head listening to gibberish, wondering what was getting lost in translation.
Not Swedes, unfortunately. Agreed on the Japanese though. When they write an email it is usually pretty good, but face to face is another matter entirely. The Indians are worse than Japanese at writing English, at least in the business that I'm in. Chinese suck at both, Koreans are the best so far. :)

In the end the point gets across anyway. I tend to focus on getting the cultural aspect right, that opens up as many doors as learning a few words in a language. Can't be arsed to learn Tagalog for the few times I'm in the Philippines. ;D

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2014, 06:40:48 AM »
Can't be arsed to learn Tagalog for the few times I'm in the Philippines. ;D

You don't exactly feel the need to Tag-along with the Tagalog?

cart@@n

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2014, 06:50:36 AM »
Memorize the past of verbs.

Things don't have a gender, it's all "it" instead of "he or she". Actually that's easier. ;D

Some expressions that don't have any translation, and you have to figure out by yourself.