Author Topic: The squat proof  (Read 9265 times)

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
Re: The squat proof
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 05:14:20 AM »
This has been known for years and years.

Squats are the king of all exercises.

the trainer

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 05:21:07 AM »
This has been known for years and years.

Squats are the king of all exercises.

True but there are a lot of getbiggers who dont squat and claim that leg press gives the same or even better results.

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 05:22:11 AM »
There is just something about squats that nothing else can compare to. The lead up to a heavy squat session, the feeling of being under the bar during and between reps. The feeling you get after a great squat session, where your legs are still quivering hours later and you can feel your metabolism is still sky high, as your system tries to recover.

I love deadlifts too but it's almost like there is weight training and then there is squatting, all in a category of it's own.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 05:24:04 AM »
I've got proof that your mom squats on my ballbag but I don't post the evidence as everyone knows already

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 05:25:59 AM »
True but there are a lot of getbiggers who dont squat and claim that leg press gives the same or even better results.

Well there is no doubt that the leg press has been responsible for some amazing leg development. But what I think this study shows (and has been known for a long time) is that for trainers that are not using, the hormonal and anabolic response resulting from heavy squats is the closest thing they can do to mimic the effects of exogenous anabolic steroids. I don't think the leg press has that same effect, especially for beginner trainers.

The old saying about the quickest way to put an inch on your arms is to increase your squat really holds true.

the trainer

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 05:28:37 AM »
Well there is no doubt that the leg press has been responsible for some amazing leg development. But what I think this study shows (and has been known for a long time) is that for trainers that are not using, the hormonal and anabolic response resulting from heavy squats is the closest thing they can do to mimic the effects of exogenous anabolic steroids. I don't think the leg press has that same effect, especially for beginner trainers.

The old saying about the quickest way to put an inch on your arms is to increase your squat really holds true.

I agree when I first starting training all I did was squats, deadlifts, bench press and clean and jerk and I put on a lot of mass and size it was good foundation training.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 05:28:47 AM »

Maybe they are not doing the exercise correctly, or doing only 10 reps/set when they should be doing 20.

It's probably just an excuse NOT to do squats.  I've seen/heard this many times over the last 30 years. Lots of lazy, half-assed trainers out there.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 05:32:09 AM »
Paul Dillett was a famous non-squatter. He was a proponent of the leg press.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 05:35:41 AM »

All PED too.

the trainer

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 05:35:58 AM »

Paul dillett was one of the laziest bodybuilders when it comes to training but he had such incredible genes that he could grow off just doing leg extensions plus he was on a boatload of hormones, this is not the guy you want to use as an example.

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 05:36:07 AM »

Paul Dillett was a notorious example of somebody who responded well to a boatload of drugs and put in little to no effort in the gym. Compare with Dorian Yates who didn't have Dillett's genetics but had to work his arse off to accomplish what he did. (I am fully aware that Dorian didn't squat but nobody can say he didn't train like a demon).

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 05:39:58 AM »
Paul dillett was one of the laziest bodybuilders when it comes to training but he had such incredible genes that he could grow off just doing leg extensions plus he was on a boatload of hormones, this is not the guy you want to use as an example.

I watched him train in Venice a few times.  I was amazed how this guy was able to get so big.  What a lazy ass mo-fo.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 05:45:11 AM »
VINCE taylor did not squat either,he had good legs but amazing calves ,the large upper body to small waist and sorta narrowish legs suited him he looked great,shawn ray squatted his whole bbing career he was leg heavy and had great legs .squatting is not for every bodytype.

the trainer

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 05:51:48 AM »
Paul Dillett was a notorious example of somebody who responded well to a boatload of drugs and put in little to no effort in the gym. Compare with Dorian Yates who didn't have Dillett's genetics but had to work his arse off to accomplish what he did. (I am fully aware that Dorian didn't squat but nobody can say he didn't train like a demon).

Actually dorian use to do a lot of squats in the early days, but then he has a injury or something and later on he stopped squatting.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 05:54:00 AM »
VINCE taylor did not squat either,he had good legs but amazing calves ,the large upper body to small waist and sorta narrowish legs suited him he looked great,shawn ray squatted his whole bbing career he was leg heavy and had great legs .squatting is not for every bodytype.

Taylor took a boat load of drugs too.  His calves are a genetic gift.

Natties need to squat to maximize their potential.

the trainer

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 05:58:47 AM »
Taylor took a boat load of drugs too.  His calves are a genetic gift.

Natties need to squat to maximize their potential.

Exactly this thread is not for genetic freaks on a boatload of steroids, its for the average dude with average genes who is trying to get as big as possible in the shortest period of time.

Foozle

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 05:59:44 AM »
Exactly this thread is not for genetic freaks on a boatload of steroids, its for the average dude with average genes who is trying to get as big as possible in the shortest period of time.

You know all about the average dude, don't you dudelover?

You love men.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 06:01:29 AM »
Actually dorian use to do a lot of squats in the early days, but then he has a injury or something and later on he stopped squatting.
YES,he switched to smith squats,yates is a great example of balance ,his leg definition/separation wasn't classic shaped,they were jagged but like rest of him granite,his calves were superb.he was lucky he had narrow hips and legs were not blown out 'balooned'looking like colemans.like haney and most mro's they were there just not overdone.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 06:06:27 AM »

Yes, he injured his back and had to switch to smith-machine squats and leg press.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 06:06:56 AM »
all good,i squat I love them.they work.

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 06:07:06 AM »

I think I read something about him squatting early on alright and stopping because he found his intensity style of training was better suited to leg presses, hack squats and that type of thing as the chance of injury was less with these movements.

But look at the older generation of bodybuilders. Arnold, Franco, Platz - back then leg day WAS squatting. They didn't use the same amount of drugs as currents pros, yet still looked great. I would guess that a recreational lifter, using a moderate amount of anabolics (i.e. not the cocktail of AAS, GH, insulin etc) would benefit more from squatting than leg pressing. Again this might depend on body shape, injury history etc.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 06:14:41 AM »
I think I read something about him squatting early on alright and stopping because he found his intensity style of training was better suited to leg presses, hack squats and that type of thing as the chance of injury was less with these movements.

But look at the older generation of bodybuilders. Arnold, Franco, Platz - back then leg day WAS squatting. They didn't use the same amount of drugs as currents pros, yet still looked great. I would guess that a recreational lifter, using a moderate amount of anabolics (i.e. not the cocktail of AAS, GH, insulin etc) would benefit more from squatting than leg pressing. Again this might depend on body shape, injury history etc.
GOOD POINTS.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 06:33:53 AM »

Hmm yes.  Drinking a gallon of whole milk everyday, or GOMAD, is also a great way for a natural to add size

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 06:36:39 AM »
There's no proof that transient peaks and valleys in GH or test increase muscle growth.

There's causation between chronically increased test/GH, and muscle growth.

But now we're to believe that transient increases lead to a strong enough, chronic enough signal to truly affect muscle growth to any meaninful degree?

Pardon me if I don't buy that logic. Sounds nice. Sounds correlative. Doesn't sound causative to me.