Author Topic: The squat proof  (Read 9263 times)

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
Re: The squat proof
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2014, 01:23:05 PM »
Didn't Mike Quinn squat all the time?

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2014, 01:27:56 PM »
Squats are extremely effective at building leg size/strength, but they are also extremely taxing on the back and joints...and leave you so sore you cannot even sit down or walk like a normal human being for days.

I much prefer sprints now. They are also an extremely effective leg muscle builder, and also give you that high feeling long after your workout, but they are better in the sense that they arent as taxing on your back/neck as squats, they seem to work your other muscles better, and still allow you to walk, and give you a practical skill (speed, ability to run)

I wouldnt do squats again unless i was a powerlifter or pro bber or something like that.

You won't get any argument from me, sprints (actual sprints performed using anaerobic respiration) are a great exercise and do build the legs and the whole body. Very similar to squats in many ways, in terms of the total body stimulus.

pissant

• Getbig III
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2014, 01:28:35 PM »
You won't get any argument from me, sprints (actual sprints performed using anaerobic respiration) are a great exercise and do build the legs and the whole body. Very similar to squats in many ways, in terms of the total body stimulus.

oh man is this a bodybuilding forum still? sprints? the fuck outta here with this bull shit.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2014, 01:49:15 PM »
oh man is this a bodybuilding forum still? sprints? the fuck outta here with this bull shit.

He was a 500lb squatter. It's relevant.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2014, 01:49:54 PM »
Didn't Mike Quinn squat all the time?

Genetics

pissant

• Getbig III
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2014, 02:51:15 PM »

cool preetty much proves that lifting heavy means nothing for size

Simple Simon

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2014, 02:56:15 PM »

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2014, 02:58:38 PM »
I'd let Coach and those with experience decide The Squat's place in competitive sports where every sliver or muscle is advantageous, but for a gym rat like myself that trains to feel good and have a bit of muscle, squats is something I rarely do. I kill myself on the leg press and hacks though. I've completely stopped leg extensions now. Way too taxing on the tendons and not a natural movement in my opinion.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2014, 02:58:58 PM »

I don' think they get the fact that squats make you more explosive and much faster....hence the box jumps...which I hate.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2014, 03:00:04 PM »
I'd let Coach and those with experience decide The Squat's place in competitive sports where every sliver or muscle is advantageous, but for a gym rat like myself that trains to feel good and have a bit of muscle, squats is something I rarely do. I kill myself on the leg press and hacks though. I've completely stopped leg extensions now. Way too taxing on the tendons and not a natural movement in my opinion.

Fronts, hacks..even smith machine squats for the bodybuilder is fine.
L

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2014, 03:04:52 PM »
Fronts, hacks..even smith machine squats for the bodybuilder is fine.

Not disputing that, but proper squats fuck with my back and knees. And not a muscle pain, but tendons and joints. I'm not looking to build trouser-ripping legs, so leg presses and hack squats works well for me. But I can appreciate that squats are a damn good exercise.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2014, 03:07:38 PM »
cool preetty much proves that lifting heavy means nothing for size

Actually it proves you know little about training.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2014, 03:10:44 PM »
Not disputing that, but proper squats fuck with my back and knees. And not a muscle pain, but tendons and joints. I'm not looking to build trouser-ripping legs, so leg presses and hack squats works well for me. But I can appreciate that squats are a damn good exercise.

NO I agree...no point depending on ur goals and past injuries.
L

Simple Simon

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2014, 03:11:47 PM »
Your legs don't know exercises , they only know stress.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2014, 03:11:59 PM »
::) half squats

pissant

• Getbig III
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2014, 03:12:44 PM »
Actually it proves you know little about training.

lol tell me more guru  ;)

you are fucking corny dude

pissant

• Getbig III
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2014, 03:13:33 PM »

get this man some god damn cocaine and hookers.

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2014, 03:14:31 PM »

I agree. Squats are necessary if you want to improve strength and power; they are optional for those just looking to build muscle and to look and feel good.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2014, 03:19:18 PM »

I agree with you, which is why I've never believed this 'keep the muscle guessing' bullshit. Or by its proper name, the Weider Confusion Principle or some shit. I train pretty much exactly the same, only mixing it up when I get bored. I've always made progress and gotten stronger, even though I don't train for that.

All I ever do for legs for instance, is leg press and hacks. I get DOMS every single time. Without fail. Chest I mix a bit as our gym have loads of difference chest machines so it's interesting trying them all, but regardless of what movements I do for chest, the muscle is sore the next day in the exact same way.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2014, 03:27:53 PM »
Paul dillett was one of the laziest bodybuilders when it comes to training but he had such incredible genes that he could grow off just doing leg extensions plus he was on a boatload of hormones, this is not the guy you want to use as an example.
sorry my friend......paul did more than just extensions.....leg presses.....lunges...... reverse hacks......and then extensions.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2014, 03:28:59 PM »
true statement!

Simple Simon

« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2014, 03:30:44 PM »
I agree with you, which is why I've never believed this 'keep the muscle guessing' bullshit. Or by its proper name, the Weider Confusion Principle or some shit. I train pretty much exactly the same, only mixing it up when I get bored. I've always made progress and gotten stronger, even though I don't train for that.

All I ever do for legs for instance, is leg press and hacks. I get DOMS every single time. Without fail. Chest I mix a bit as our gym have loads of difference chest machines so it's interesting trying them all, but regardless of what movements I do for chest, the muscle is sore the next day in the exact same way.
My current leg routine consists of 10 minutes HIT on a stationary bike 7 or 8 sets leg press 6 sets lying leg curls and a few stretching sets of SLDLifts with a 10 k plate.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2014, 04:03:57 PM »
I view the squat as a full-body exercise.

I make better gains and get stronger overall when I squat.

Also, it feels like the muscles in my body are balanced better, especially my lower back and glutes.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2014, 05:03:20 PM »
lol tell me more guru  ;)

you are fucking corny dude

Really??

Sprinting is a power (explosive) sport. You don't train power with higher reps. Usually 1-5 depending on the % and never over 5 and most of the time 1-3 with a 2-4min recovery (see energy systems). Are you one who believes that you train speed with higher reps? (referring to the Ben Johnson pic). You don't train for size with heavy weigh/low rep scheme. Powerlifiting, as an example, reps are kept low based on a % and once again, reps are 1-3.

Rule of thumb give or take a rep...

1-3 = Power

5-8 = Strength

10-12 = Hypertrophy

15 + Muscular endurance

Powerlifters train for Power as with most power sports (Football, Baseball, Track and field, etc) and most start with a Power exercise  (O-lifts, Bench, squat, deadlift, plyos, etc) again, on a %. Reps no more than 5. Can't remember the last time I saw an elite powerlifter with bigger, more muscular legs than an Olympia competitor. Don't believe me, AJ Roberts just did his first bodybuilding contest. Look at his pics.  

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2014, 05:10:27 PM »
There is just something about squats that nothing else can compare to. The lead up to a heavy squat session, the feeling of being under the bar during and between reps. The feeling you get after a great squat session, where your legs are still quivering hours later and you can feel your metabolism is still sky high, as your system tries to recover.

I love deadlifts too but it's almost like there is weight training and then there is squatting, all in a category of it's own.

I really miss squatting but I need a ton of physio to get back under the bar.

When I was 21 I was repping 240kg for 6 reps, followed by 20 rep squats. I'd be nervous all day until I squatted, but excited at the chance to push myself through blinding pain. I pulled stomach muscles several times by pushing too hard, but still, I loved the ordeal.

Last 2 years I have knee and hip issues so have to settle for lunges. Fuck the leg press, too much effort loading plates.