Author Topic: 78% Favor Proof of Citizenship Before Being Allowed to Vote  (Read 6649 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
78% Favor Proof of Citizenship Before Being Allowed to Vote
« on: March 25, 2014, 10:40:56 AM »
What do you think?

78% Favor Proof of Citizenship Before Being Allowed to Vote
Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A federal judge last week upheld the right of states to require proof of citizenship before allowing someone to register to vote. Voters continue to overwhelmingly support such a requirement.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 78% of Likely U.S. Voters believe everyone should be required to prove his or her citizenship before being allowed to register to vote. That’s up from 71% a year ago. Just 19% oppose that requirement. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

Twenty-nine percent (29%) believe laws that require proof of citizenship before allowing voter registration discriminate against such voters. But more than twice as many (61%) say such laws do not discriminate, up three points from 58% who felt that way in March of last year. Ten percent (10%) are undecided.

Opponents of proof-of-citizenship laws claim they are intended to keep eligible voters from voting, while supporters say instead that they are intended to keep ineligible voters from casting votes. Thirty-four percent (34%) think it is more common that people are prevented from voting who should be allowed to vote. Half (50%) of voters disagree and think that more often people are allowed to vote who are not eligible to vote. Seventeen percent (17%) are not sure.

This marks a six-point increase from last year in the number of voters who think it is more common for people to be allowed to vote who are not eligible. It’s also the highest level of doubt about the voting process in surveys since January 2008.

The federal judge’s ruling last week upheld laws enacted in Arizona and Kansas because federal voter registration forms do not include a proof of citizenship requirement. Thirty-eight percent (38%) of voters believe state governments should set the requirements for voter registration, but 51% think that is a responsibility of the federal government. Eleven percent (11%) are not sure. This is unchanged from earlier surveying.

The survey of 1,000 Likely Voters was conducted on March 20-21, 2013 by Rasmussen Reports. The margin of sampling error is +/- 3 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence. Field work for all Rasmussen Reports surveys is conducted by Pulse Opinion Research, LLC. See methodology.

In surveys since June 2006, voters have been just as adamant in their support of laws that require voters to prove their identity at the polls before being allowed to vote. Fifty-nine percent (59%) do not believe photo ID laws discriminate against some voters.

Most voters across the partisan spectrum support laws that require proof of citizenship before being allowed to register to vote, although Democrats are less enthusiastic about those laws than Republicans and unaffiliated voters are. Seventy-seven percent (77%) of GOP voters and 67% of unaffiliateds believe such laws do not discriminate against some voters, but Democrats are evenly divided on that question.

But then 54% of voters in President Obama’s party think it is more common for legitimate voters to be denied the right to vote, while 74% of Republicans and 51% of unaffiliated voters think that it’s more common for non-voters to vote.

Ninety-five percent (95%) of voters who think illegal voting is more common support proof-of-citizenship laws. Those who think it is more likely that eligible voters are denied their right to vote are evenly divided over such laws.

Sixty-nine percent (69%) of all voters say they have been following news reports about voter registration at least somewhat closely, with 34% who are following Very Closely. Voters 40 and over are much more interested in the topic than those who are younger.

Only 17% think it is too hard to vote in the United States. Twenty-seven percent (27%) think it's too easy to vote in America today.

Forty-one percent (41%) of all voters think American elections are fair to voters, well below the all-time high of 57% who felt that way in  October 2012. 

Americans strongly value being a citizen of the United States, but one-in-four thinks it's too easy these days for someone to become a citizen.

Additional information from this survey and a full demographic breakdown are available to Platinum Members only.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/march_2014/78_favor_proof_of_citizenship_before_being_allowed_to_vote

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: 78% Favor Proof of Citizenship Before Being Allowed to Vote
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 10:59:18 AM »
this will make it harder for illegals to vote.  isn't the latest craze doing everything we can to suck up to them?  :(

Is a drivers license proof of citizenship (provided it isn't one of those licenses they give illegals)?

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 01:04:21 PM »
As usual, politicians going against the will of the people.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 03:52:47 PM »
You're forgetting one crucial factor... citizenship is NOT a requirement to vote.
w

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 05:37:25 AM »
You're forgetting one crucial factor... citizenship is NOT a requirement to vote.

It is not a requirement for federal elections?

A lot of states have made it a requirement even to vote in state elections.

The will of the people is moving towards citizenship being a requirement to vote in ALL TYPES OF ELECTIONS.  That is very, very good.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 07:10:39 AM »

What?  In the US, it is a Federal crime for any non-citizen(legal or illegal resident) to vote in Federal elections.  It's called "Impersonating a US citizen", and it's a crime.  

That means that even legal, permanent residents of the US are prohibited by law to vote.  If they do and get caught, they forfeit their legal permanent residency, get arrested and processed for immediate deportation.

No, a driver's license is not proof of citizenship.  Legal permanent residents, foreign students, foreign workers, etc. maybe allowed to get a drivers license, but they are definitely not allowed to vote.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 07:27:13 AM »
The other 22% must work for OFA or NBC

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 11:02:41 AM »
The other 22% must work for OFA or NBC

or Ron Paul.   or marco Rubio.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 11:14:38 AM »
Great idea.

But good luck with that....considering our bought and paid for politicians. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 04:48:57 AM »

What?  In the US, it is a Federal crime for any non-citizen(legal or illegal resident) to vote in Federal elections.  It's called "Impersonating a US citizen", and it's a crime.  

That means that even legal, permanent residents of the US are prohibited by law to vote.  If they do and get caught, they forfeit their legal permanent residency, get arrested and processed for immediate deportation.

No, a driver's license is not proof of citizenship.  Legal permanent residents, foreign students, foreign workers, etc. maybe allowed to get a drivers license, but they are definitely not allowed to vote.

24KT, please substantiate your claim that "citizenship is NOT a requirement to vote"

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 01:28:38 PM »

24KT, please substantiate your claim that "citizenship is NOT a requirement to vote"

Bump.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 04:09:46 PM »

I was not stating that non-citizens (legal or illegal residents) have the right to vote in US Federal or State elections, however, since 1968 legal residents do have the right to vote at the local level.

What I stated was fact: Citizenship is NOT a requirement to vote.

I've never stated a driver's license constituted proof of citizenship.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 04:13:35 PM »
It is not a requirement for federal elections?

A lot of states have made it a requirement even to vote in state elections.

The will of the people is moving towards citizenship being a requirement to vote in ALL TYPES OF ELECTIONS.  That is very, very good.

Be careful of this thing you call "the will of the people".

It will be a collectivist mentality that will thwart individual rights & freedoms.
It's not so noticeable when your will or desires line up with those of others, but the tyranny is laid bare should yours be of a "divergent' opinion. {pun fully intended}
w

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 04:34:45 PM »
I was not stating that non-citizens (legal or illegal residents) have the right to vote in US Federal or State elections, however, since 1968 legal residents do have the right to vote at the local level.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_rights_in_the_United_States

Currently, only American citizens can vote in federal elections

http://www.usa.gov/Citizen/Topics/Voting/Register.shtml

To be eligible to vote, you must be a U.S. citizen.

http://www.866ourvote.org/issues/proof-of-citizenship-voting-identification

All states require an individual to be a U.S. citizen in order to vote in state or federal elections.

http://immigration.about.com/od/immigrationlawandpolicy/f/Elctns_Elgblty.htm

Must be a United States citizen

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080206182512AAmug6S

You must be a US citizen, be at least 18 years old, and registered to vote.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 04:38:09 PM »

Sheesh!!!
Does EVERYBODY have a reading comprehension problem?

w

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 04:40:26 PM »

http://www.866ourvote.org/issues/proof-of-citizenship-voting-identification

All states require an individual to be a U.S. citizen in order to vote in state or federal elections.

http://immigration.about.com/od/immigrationlawandpolicy/f/Elctns_Elgblty.htm

Must be a United States citizen

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080206182512AAmug6S

You must be a US citizen, be at least 18 years old, and registered to vote.

In response to the assertion:

Citizenship IS a requirement to vote

Dam details and distinctions.  Yawn.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 04:41:34 PM »

LOL!   ;D

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 04:45:52 PM »

OzmO, is citizenship a requirement to vote in local elections?
w

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 04:47:52 PM »

this is not your quote?

Is this not your back peddle?

LMAO  :D

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 04:51:32 PM »

i'm so confused.  I think i've been working too much.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 04:54:13 PM »
Lets take a look at another distinction shall we....... ;D

A federal judge last week upheld the right of states to require proof of citizenship before allowing someone to register to vote. Voters continue to overwhelmingly support such a requirement.

The federal judge’s ruling last week upheld laws enacted in Arizona and Kansas because federal voter registration forms do not include a proof of citizenship requirement.

Obviously the article is talking about FEDERAL or STATE voting.

;D

Dam distinctions!

spank that ass.....spank that ass.....spank that ass

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 04:55:38 PM »
LOL!!!!!   ;D  Stop it.  lol

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 04:56:55 PM »
this is not your quote?

Is this not your back peddle?

LMAO  :D

That was my quote, and it is no back pedal. It is fact. Those pesky little things you refuse to acknowledge.

Since you previously cited wiki, I trust you accept it as substantiation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_foreigners_to_vote#United_States

United States[edit]
Main article: Right of foreigners to vote in the United States
More than 20 states or territories, including colonies before the Declaration of Independence, admitted foreigners' right to vote for all elections. As of May 2010, however, most of those foreign voting and office holding rights have been repealed and, as of 2010, no foreigner was allowed vote at the national or state level in the US, and only a handful of local governments allowed foreigners to vote. These few foreign voting rights at the local level have been granted to non-citizens by state governments from 1968 onwards.

Now kindly F-off and have a shitty night.

Thank You  :)
w

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 05:53:24 PM »
That was my quote, and it is no back pedal. It is fact. Those pesky little things you refuse to acknowledge.

Since you previously cited wiki, I trust you accept it as substantiation?

United States[edit]
More than 20 states or territories, including colonies before the Declaration of Independence, admitted foreigners' right to vote for all elections. As of May 2010, however, most of those foreign voting and office holding rights have been repealed and, as of 2010, no foreigner was allowed vote at the national or state level in the US, and only a handful of local governments allowed foreigners to vote. These few foreign voting rights at the local level have been granted to non-citizens by state governments from 1968 onwards.

Now kindly F-off and have a shitty night.

Thank You  :)

Blahahahahahahahahaha.

Picking cherries again are ya?

who has more credibiliy?  USA.gov or wiki

But let's take a look at some distinctions from your post:

United States[edit]

Jag what year is it?  Is it 2009 or 2014?

Can you tell  me the distinction between 2009 and 2014?

See Jag, this is why peeps give you such a hard time.  Instead of simply just saying you were mistaken you try pass off such a dumb argument.

Grow up and own up.

And have a wonderful night.   :)

All the best!

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 05:56:59 PM »
Why should non-citizens get a say in how a country is run?

Makes no sense.