Author Topic: 30 Years of Wrestlemania - Memorable Moments?  (Read 4534 times)

Melkor

• Getbig III
30 Years of Wrestlemania - Memorable Moments?
« on: March 25, 2014, 04:28:01 PM »
In the build up to this years WM, Ive been on a big nostalgia kick lately, watching pretty much all of the past 29 Wrestlemanias (even dug out a few VHS tapes, damn the WWE network is not available outside US yet!)

So, what are the some of the opinions on the best matches from Wrestlemania history? Best moments? Overall show?

Or what about the worst of Wrestlemania?

littleguns

• Getbig V
Re: 30 Years of Wrestlemania - Memorable Moments?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 04:30:50 PM »
I was very young but enjoyed wm 4 with the whole tourney thus elevating Savage

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 04:36:57 PM »
best moment?

Being at MSG watching the simulcast from the Silverdome (these 93k +) when Hogan did the impossible to Andre

then as they were all wheeled back out.. the fans tossing everything they could at Heenan

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 05:25:09 PM »
In the build up to this years WM, Ive been on a big nostalgia kick lately, watching pretty much all of the past 29 Wrestlemanias (even dug out a few VHS tapes, damn the WWE network is not available outside US yet!)

So, what are the some of the opinions on the best matches from Wrestlemania history? Best moments? Overall show?

Or what about the worst of Wrestlemania?
WM13 had to rank as one of the worst shows ever.

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 05:31:18 PM »
WM13 had to rank as one of the worst shows ever.

Yeah, but it also had one of the greatest WM matches, Bret vs Austin.

WM9 and 11 were the worst. WM9 was actually painful to watch, Hogan making the save and then winning the title without even being involved in the main event. What a prick.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 05:36:54 PM »

WM9 and 11 were the worst. WM9 was actually painful to watch, Hogan making the save and then winning the title without even being involved in the main event. What a prick.
That was it. What about the other 7 matches?

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 05:43:56 PM »
That was it. What about the other 7 matches?

The Chicago Street Fight... Nah you're right, shocking card apart from Bret/Austin, but still better than WM9 or WM11 IMO.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 05:51:34 PM »
I think 3 remains my favorite. I loved the atmosphere of the Silverdome, Gorilla & Jesse's commentating, the Brain's ongoing role throughout the night, Piper & Adrian's performance, of course Steamboat & Savage's masterpiece, the midgets all turning on Bundy in the mixed-tag match, the Hogan/Andre story, which made up a small amount for the match's lackluster action.

I don't think a WM was as big a spectacle to mainstream audiences again until 14.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 06:00:09 PM »

If we're talking worse WrestleManias, I'd go with WrestleMania 12. That Iron Man match was LAME. Notice that WWE has never had another Iron Man match go that way again, as in a whole hour with neither man scoring a fall.

The finals of the tag team title tournament were on the Free-For-All, which meant that (unless you saw WrestleMania 12 the day it happened), you missed that match. The Hollywood Back Lot Brawl was cobbled together, because Razor didn't want to get felt up by Goldust again in a re-match for the IC title. The OJ footage used as Piper chasing Goldust was silly.

The only good match on there for me was Diesel vs. Undertaker. Honorable mention goes to the Ultimate Warrior's entrance (his squashing Helmsley was lame).

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 06:05:04 PM »
Best WrestleMania moments:

- Slam Heard 'Round the World.....Enough said!!!

- Undertaker vs. Michaels (WM 25); people really though HBK would end the streak.

- Mayweather vs. Big Show: A funny and entertaining match. I didn't see WWE.com that weekend; so I didn't know until the match was announced that it was "Anything Goes". That's when I knew, of course, Mayweather would win.

- Actually, all of WM 24, since I saw it LIVE in Orlando, just a few miles from my house.

- Ultimate Challenge, WM 6.

- Career-Ending Match, WM 7.

- Rock vs. Hogan, especially when Hogan "hulks up" after getting hit with the Rock Bottom. That moment effectively KILLED the nWo.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 06:26:25 PM »
I thought the entire card of Wrestlemania 19 was great.

Rock vs Austin(his last match)

Brock vs Angle(I thought Brock killed himself with his botched shooting star press)

The Hulk vs Mcmahon match was surprinsingly good.

Wrestlemania 3 was epic. I was 13 years old and it left quite an impression on me.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 06:32:38 PM »
I thought the entire card of Wrestlemania 19 was great.

Rock vs Austin(his last match)

Brock vs Angle(I thought Brock killed himself with his botched shooting star press)

The Hulk vs Mcmahon match was surprinsingly good.

Wrestlemania 3 was epic. I was 13 years old and it left quite an impression on me.
Nice selection.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 06:44:49 PM »
Nice selection.

Thanks. I remember going into the match there was a real fear that Angle could permanently paralyze himself. He was due to his get veterbrae fused but still wanted to wrestle one last match. You could tell that Brock was being extra careful with Angle which was surprising because Brock could be pretty stiff sometimes. But you also knew that Angle would drop the belt. I'd seen Brock go for the SSP during his Ohio Valley days so when I saw him go to the top rope, I knew he was going for it. When he missed it, I thought he severely injured himself. He managed to clear the cobwebs, do another F-5 on Angle and finish the match. When the match was over you could tell Brock's bell was still ringing.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 07:29:33 PM »
Thanks. I remember going into the match there was a real fear that Angle could permanently paralyze himself. He was due to his get veterbrae fused but still wanted to wrestle one last match. You could tell that Brock was being extra careful with Angle which was surprising because Brock could be pretty stiff sometimes. But you also knew that Angle would drop the belt. I'd seen Brock go for the SSP during his Ohio Valley days so when I saw him go to the top rope, I knew he was going for it. When he missed it, I thought he severely injured himself. He managed to clear the cobwebs, do another F-5 on Angle and finish the match. When the match was over you could tell Brock's bell was still ringing.
I would have loved to have heard the live crowd reaction to lesner landing on his head on that botched shooting star press. Apparently he was yacking backstage after that.

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 11:29:54 AM »
Wrestlemania 3 was definitely the best of the 80s and WM 10 was probably the best of the 90's (I loved the Bret/Owen match and MSG as a venue when they use the "short entrance").

Overall though, I think WM 17 was the best show. It was the first time that they used a stadium arena in years (Houston Astrodome), WCW was just purchased prior to the event and it just felt like the whole event was the climax of the attitude era. And the card was one of the best of all time.

- TLC II
- Taker - Triple H (their best WM match IMO)
- Vince/Shane street fight
- Angle/Benoit
- Kane/Bigshow/Raven (the pinnacle of the "hardcore title era")
- Austin/Rock (not their best WM match, but the build-up was insane at the time)

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 11:31:17 AM »
I was very young but enjoyed wm 4 with the whole tourney thus elevating Savage

It was great to see Savage win but what I disliked about that event was that Hogan was still at the heart of everything. It was like he and Savage both won the title at the end

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 11:33:45 AM »
It was great to see Savage win but what I disliked about that event was that Hogan was still at the heart of everything. It was like he and Savage both won the title at the end
I personally thought WM4 took way too long. 4-1/2 hours.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 11:41:44 AM »
I wonder if Savage showered in between each of his four matches.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 11:45:03 AM »
Trump taking a stunner from Stone Cold was memorable.

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 11:45:12 AM »
I wonder if Savage showered in between each of his four matches.

He changed his ring attire between matches if I recall so he probably did!

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 11:52:14 AM »
The New York crowd pissing all over the Brock/Goldberg match was great.

That match would've been so much better received by the fans if it wasn't for the internet. Eveyone knew in advance that Brock was going to try out for the NFL. Everyone knew that Goldberg was wrestling his last match under his contract.

That match could've been epic but both guys performed like shit.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 06:18:35 PM »
some classic matches:

Warrior Hogan
Hogan Rock
Savage Flair (wm 8 or 9??)
Hogan Slamming Andre
WM5 Twin Towers vs the Rockers with Akeem's famous clothesline to HBK
Warrior Savage at 7 was a great match
Flower Boy Ran Away

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 02:46:44 PM »
some classic matches:

Warrior Hogan
Hogan Rock
Savage Flair (wm 8 or 9??)
Hogan Slamming Andre
WM5 Twin Towers vs the Rockers with Akeem's famous clothesline to HBK
Warrior Savage at 7 was a great match

Im surprised you didnt pick warrior vs savage WM7. Great match for a Warrior fan like u.