Author Topic: Drinking With A Scotsman  (Read 1996 times)

Fallsview

• Getbig V
  • Mr. Gulf Coast 1994,95,99
Drinking With A Scotsman
« on: March 25, 2014, 11:54:26 PM »
At a dinner party over the weekend and was having drinks with a lad from Scotland. I noticed he was drinking Guinness...from a can. I happen to bring my own beer whenever going to a dinner party since my pallet cannot take these  overproduced brews that taste like water and tin.  I offered him a Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shutdown Ale and a Yeti Stout. He couldn't believe how good those beers tasted compared to the Guinness.

I have a friend for life!

STAY POSITIVE!!!!

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Re: Drinking With A Scotsman
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 12:14:56 AM »
It's funny, there's some really good beers. The beer everyone drinks give beer a bad name.

These dick heads at bars that drink Bug Light after Bud Light... Drink a real drink for god sakes....  ::)

Fallsview

• Getbig V
  • Mr. Gulf Coast 1994,95,99
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 01:45:52 AM »
It's funny, there's some really good beers. The beer everyone drinks give beer a bad name.

These dick heads at bars that drink Bug Light after Bud Light... Drink a real drink for god sakes....  ::)

I agree. After drinking 9-10% beers, Molson, Coors, Bud...they just taste like water.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 03:24:54 AM »
It sounds stupid, but when I lived in FL, I learned to like Bud Light. It was the only beer that was truly ubiquitous. Every bar and every house had it.

Now, I don't even drink beer at all.

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 03:26:06 AM »

Amen, brother.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 03:51:56 AM »
Scottish people = the Master Race  8)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 04:13:19 AM »
At a dinner party over the weekend and was having drinks with a lad from Scotland. I noticed he was drinking Guinness...from a can. I happen to bring my own beer whenever going to a dinner party since my pallet cannot take these  overproduced brews that taste like water and tin.  I offered him a Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shutdown Ale and a Yeti Stout. He couldn't believe how good those beers tasted compared to the Guinness.

STAY POSITIVE!!!!
Drinks by the pallet. Explains much. 

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 04:23:26 AM »
Drinks by the pallet. Explains much.  

He has a lot of friends.....

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 06:14:42 AM »
Im actually going on a mini craft brewery tour at the end of May.   Lagunitas is on the list.  They give tours and we are going on one. 

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 06:24:53 AM »
No actual Scot would drink a beer unless the whiskey barrel had run dry!

Best beer I can get here is Sierra Nevada.  For a country of beer drinkers they do some shitty work.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 07:06:35 AM »

Best beer I can get here is Sierra Nevada.  For a country of beer drinkers they do some shitty work.

"Calli-ma....calli-ma...CALLI-MA....shiteethae"

"Oh no-siday..oh no-siday...oh no-siday..."

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 07:10:33 AM »
A little human sacrifice never hurt anyone.

Ken Fresno

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 07:36:06 AM »

I always get a bottle of VB when in a walkabout pub. Don't know why as it tastes like piss.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 08:26:09 AM »
I always get a bottle of VB when in a walkabout pub. Don't know why as it tastes like piss.

Sheppard's Bush, was it?  I think they threw me out of there.  Several times.  All my mate's fault, of course, but they were always very professional about it.

Yeah, it's as ordinary as any corporation beer.  El cheapo Aus wines aren't bad tho.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 09:30:43 AM »
I never understand the beer tastes of most of my fellow Americans. It seems the first quality they seek is a beer with no taste. An alcoholic club soda for lack of a better term. When I see a grown man ask for a bud, miller, or Coors I picture in my head how much they must love fast food chain pizza. People have no taste.

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 01:05:02 PM »

STAY POSITIVE!!!!

No, compared to Guinness out of a can. This is sinful, Guinness has to be poured correctly and allowed to settle before drinking. It tastes completely different, much better than out of the can.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 01:19:50 PM »

Delicious.

Ken Fresno

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 01:51:10 PM »
My local has Trooper ale, named after the only good Iron Maiden tune. It is pretty good.

Automation

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 01:54:48 PM »
Guardsman, Tribute, Doombar, ales, ales, ales......

Lagers = shite (except trappist stuff)

Ken Fresno

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 01:55:30 PM »
Sheppard's Bush, was it?  I think they threw me out of there.  Several times.  All my mate's fault, of course, but they were always very professional about it.

Yeah, it's as ordinary as any corporation beer.  El cheapo Aus wines aren't bad tho.

I'm currently working on getting thrown out of every Vodka Revs bar in the UK. So far i've only managed Swansea and Cardiff, but I keep plugging away.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 01:56:33 PM »
My bar has Lagunitas IPA on tap, very good. Down the street they got Deschutes' Mirror Pond, which is a pale ale very similar to SN. Figueroa Mountain makes a great pale as well, but they're up by Solvang and only stock the locals.

Ken Fresno

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 01:57:28 PM »
Guardsman, Tribute, Doombar, ales, ales, ales......

Lagers = shite (except trappist stuff)

Doombar and tribute are ace. Have you tried any of the St Peter's stuff? The ruby red is really good.

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 02:25:29 PM »

No Scot worth his salt would drink whiskEy. The native whisky is far better. And we make use of both hands, one for a dram of whisky and the other for a beer.

I don't mind Coors light as a sipping beer, but I'll always take the opportunity to try craft beers. You Americans have developed a swell beer scene.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 04:25:10 PM »
When it comes to drinking Poles kick Scots assses and Ukrainians kick everyones asses. Ive never seen drinkers like Ukrainians.

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 04:52:27 PM »
Eastern Europeans and Russians are tanks alright but nobody holds their drink like the Irish.