Author Topic: calorie deficit and body odor  (Read 1751 times)

No Patience

• Getbig IV
  • adaptation is the creator of evolution
calorie deficit and body odor
« on: March 28, 2014, 04:23:36 PM »
I have done many body fat cuts in my day. Never fails, about 3-4 days into it my armpits have stinky body odor.

I always wear deodorant but it doesn't do shit. This doesn't seem to happen otherwise.

Any ideas? I figured it is caused from stress or maybe toxins in my fat....i don't know? Pisses me off smelling like a god damn caveman.

Simple Simon

Re: calorie deficit and body odor
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 04:24:29 PM »
Try bathing.

No Patience

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 04:25:34 PM »
Try bathing.

Thanks dipshit...i'm being serious

Simple Simon

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 04:28:11 PM »
Thanks dipshit...i'm being serious
Fat and perfumed, thin and stinky.

Which one gets the girls?

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 04:32:30 PM »
Yes whores hate smell above everything.

I have experienced with some fasting recently and the smell indeed gets awful! Must be the shit leaving the body. I just spray more deodorant  8)

Boat Ox

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 04:34:02 PM »
Have you been using any garlic or spices to diet with? Along with losing water, those things could make body odor worse?

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 04:34:51 PM »

I have experienced with some fasting recently and the smell indeed gets awful! Must be the shit leaving the body. I just spray more deodorant  8)

whores love the powerful musk scent of a testosterone rich beast

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 04:37:25 PM »
Breakdown of protein.

Courtesy of Lyle Mcdonald

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/ammonia-smell-during-exercise-on-ketogenic-diet-qa.html

Question: My question relates to the pungent smell of ammonia in my sweat during a hard work out, seems to start about 45 minutes in and gets stronger from then. This started very soon after the diet. I have recently started a high protein slow carb diet,am drinking between 3 and 4 litres of water a day (currently 180lbs with 21% body fat)have plenty of energy and feel alert and well.  From your work I gather this could be the result of ketosis and burning protein and fat for energy?
Two questions please:
1. Is this OK?
2. Is there anyway to eliminate the smell?

Answer: This is a fairly common report on very low-carbohydrate/ketogenic diet (defined, once again, as any diet containing less than 100 grams of carbohydrate per day), a report of a fairly strong ammonia smell in the sweat during exercise.  As I discuss in detail in my first book The Ketogenic Diet this ammonia is produced due to the ultimate breakdown of ATP to ADP to AMP and ammonia.  
This appears to occur more readily when muscle glycogen is depleted (as occurs with the combination of of a very low-carbohydrate intake along with training) and may be part of the increased protein requirements that have been known to occur with endurance training (this is discussed in detail in The Protein Book).  I would mention that it appears that this ‘protein breakdown’ is not actually coming from the breakdown of skeletal muscle itself; rather it’s from the breakdown of BCAA (branched-chain amino acids) within the free amino acid pool.
So is this ok?  So long as dietary protein intake is sufficient, I don’t see this as being any real problem.  The effect is slight in terms of the absolute amount of protein being broken down (in terms of grams) and so long as protein intake is sufficient, there shouldn’t be any detrimental effect other than the smell.
And how do you get rid of the smell?  Well, either wear strong deodorant or raise your carbohydrate intake above the ~100 g/day cutoff point so that you’re not in ketosis.  That’s really all I’ve got solution wise since it’s just one of those biochemical processes that is going to occur during long-duration workouts on a ketogenic diet.  All the best!
A

No Patience

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 05:15:00 PM »
Breakdown of protein.

Courtesy of Lyle Mcdonald

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/ammonia-smell-during-exercise-on-ketogenic-diet-qa.html

Thanks for this Wolfox. I am a fan of Lyle. I do not count anything other than protein and calories. I am not sure how many i eat but it is probably more like 200g or more per day.

It is probably something along these lines though since it is only while in a deficit.

No Patience

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 05:18:20 PM »
Have you been using any garlic or spices to diet with? Along with losing water, those things could make body odor worse?

I don't do anything strange...i eat regular food and just watch calories. I do eat fresh garlic in certain things i make but not in any supplemental form...i don't use any supplements other than mono-hydrate from time to time.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 05:34:05 PM »
Thanks for this Wolfox. I am a fan of Lyle. I do not count anything other than protein and calories. I am not sure how many i eat but it is probably more like 200g or more per day.

It is probably something along these lines though since it is only while in a deficit.

Yeah, Lyle is great isn't he? Really, I wish more members here would knowledge-the-fuck-up and leave their bro science behind. Believe it or not, there are people here who still think the key to dieting is the Glycemic Index lol.
A

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 06:02:30 PM »
Get some Chlorophyll tablets...The shit is cheap and will probably work...

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 06:05:17 PM »

People still use spray deodorant?

NightTrain

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 06:12:01 PM »

X2. Works like charm. Or just eat shitload of fresh parsley. Just be careful, sticks between your teeth.

No Patience

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 06:12:08 PM »
Yeah, Lyle is great isn't he? Really, I wish more members here would knowledge-the-fuck-up and leave their bro science behind. Believe it or not, there are people here who still think the key to dieting is the Glycemic Index lol.

I just checked my calories for the week and averaged only 1715 per day....that is a little too low for me...i usually stick to 1900/day average to cut

I also like to do a couple days per week in a surplus because it seems to work best...so 2500x2 days and 1660x5 days

Maybe my stinch is an alarm telling me my calories are too low  ;D

No Patience

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 06:12:51 PM »

thanks for the suggestions guys...much appreciated

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 07:02:41 PM »

Yes this most certainly does work.  Chlorophyll or some kind of greens powder will eliminate the body odors.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 02:45:15 AM »
I got increased body odor when used test.
I used anti-bacteria soap, remove bodyhair from harmpits at least and anti-bacteria deodorant.
Plus obviously bathing everyday.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 03:11:19 AM »
^ agree.  You've got a pit bacteria thing happening.  Use clippers set low to remove pit hair (but not so low it snags a little skin), then scrub with something abrasive & soapy.

Razor shaving always brings me the itchies.  Not worth it.

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 05:07:54 AM »
use an anti bacterial soap. we have dettol soap here, or mix some dettol into shower gel