Author Topic: Who had better competiton? Arnold, Haney, Yates or Coleman?  (Read 6643 times)

Neptune100

• Getbig III
Who had better competiton? Arnold, Haney, Yates or Coleman?
« on: March 29, 2014, 05:03:34 PM »
Of the 4 Mr. Olympias with over 6 wins, who had the best competition?  Who had the worst?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Re: Who had better competiton? Arnold, Haney, Yates or Coleman?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 05:12:51 PM »
I'd say Yates met the fiercest competition... Ray, Wheeler, Levrone, Nasser, Fux, Dillet, Labrada.. all in their primes. Coleman faced most of these guys on their downhill slides. I'd probably say Yates, then either Haney or Coleman, then Arnold.

I can't think of that many challengers for Arnold.. I guess he had Zane, Nubret, and Ferrigno... but I don't think they're as fierce as the 90s guys.

Neptune100

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 05:23:38 PM »
I'd say Yates met the fiercest competition... Ray, Wheeler, Levrone, Nasser, Fux, Dillet, Labrada.. all in their primes. Coleman faced most of these guys on their downhill slides. I'd probably say Yates, then either Haney or Coleman, then Arnold.

I can't think of that many challengers for Arnold.. I guess he had Zane, Nubret, and Ferrigno... but I don't think they're as fierce as the 90s guys.

Yeah I agree with Yates as having the stiffest competition.  Although I think Coleman competed against a Wheeler that was better than anything Yates went against. Levrone had a good year or two against Coleman as well.

I was thinking Haney had the weakest competition.  Gaspari? Can't think of anyone else really till Yates at the end of Haney's run.  Arnold had to get by Sergio Oliva.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 05:25:49 PM »
Yeah I agree with Yates as having the stiffest competition.  Although I think Coleman competed against a Wheeler that was better than anything Yates went against. Levrone had a good year or two against Coleman as well.

I was thinking Haney had the weakest competition.  Gaspari? Can't think of anyone else really till Yates at the end of Haney's run.  Arnold had to get by Sergio Oliva.
Yeah I agree. I edited my post, I originally had Haney last... and I switched it because I really didn't know how stiff he competition was, lol.

I don't think the 98-99 Wheeler was ANYTHING near the 93 Wheeler... and Levrone had lost his legs.... There were still great but no longer the legendary BB's they once were IMO.

Neptune100

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 05:36:34 PM »
Yeah I agree. I edited my post, I originally had Haney last... and I switched it because I really didn't know how stiff he competition was, lol.

I don't think the 98-99 Wheeler was ANYTHING near the 93 Wheeler... and Levrone had lost his legs.... There were still great but no longer the legendary BB's they once were IMO.

True on Levrone. I know 93 Wheeler at Olympia was great, would like to see the comparison to 98 and 99.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 06:07:19 PM »
Arnold beat
 Zane: 3 Olympia titles
 Olivia: 3 Olympia titles
Dickerson: 1 Olympia title
 Franco: 2 Olympia titles

If you go by titles and wins its Arnold.

Neptune100

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 06:41:56 PM »
Arnold beat

Good point. Its crazy to think how many titles Arnold could have won, although I think Ferrigno would have been eventually surpassed him if they both kept competing.

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 06:43:56 PM »
I'd say Yates met the fiercest competition... Ray, Wheeler, Levrone, Nasser, Fux, Dillet, Labrada.. all in their primes. 
you forgot yates himself, he looked like shit 1 or 2 olympias

Submissionfytr

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 07:51:03 PM »
Yates by far

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 08:57:01 PM »
Arnold beat

Well then Yates is tied

Beat
Coleman 8 Olympia Titles
Bannout 1 Olympia Title

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 09:36:14 PM »

Ray, Taylor, Labrada, and Christian were part of Haney's competition.

Arnold's wins were at times against a handful of competitors. Who'd he beat in 1971, when most of the big-time names went to NABBA to compete at the Universe, only to get beat by Bill Pearl?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 09:40:27 PM »
Arnold beat

Not necessarily! Otherwise, you'd go with Haney. He beat

Bannout: 1 Olympia title
Oliva: 3 Olympia titles
Yates: 6 Olympia titles

Iceman1981

• Getbig V
  • www.LegendsOfBodybuilding.com
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 09:47:11 PM »
Yates
Ronnie
Arnold
Haney

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 10:03:17 PM »
Lee Haney, The Righteous Hebrew rules supreme.

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 10:05:58 PM »
Yates had met most the best of his era when more or less in there Primes, Coleman had really tuff competition as well between 1998-2005, then again Arnold went up against the best of his Era as well, with Sergio (prime) Nubert (prime) Zane (near prime) Franco (prime) Lou (prime) etc, and while those Physiques (with the exception of a 1972 Oliva) were not in the same League as Flex and company in the 1990s...for there era they were the best of the best

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 10:10:42 PM »
...........Haneys competition in 1991 wasnt too shabby ether...

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 10:12:43 PM »
Ray, Taylor, Labrada, and Christian were part of Haney's competition.

Arnold's wins were at times against a handful of competitors. Who'd he beat in 1971, when most of the big-time names went to NABBA to compete at the Universe, only to get beat by Bill Pearl?

Labrada's career spanned two Mr. O reigns. Ray's career spanned through 3 Mr. O careers. That is longevity.

*yes, I know Albert Beckles career is about as long as modern bodybuilding itself.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 08:53:09 PM »
Take away Olympia wins by competitors after.
Arnold beat Sergio who had 3 wins already
Arnold beat Zane who had 3 wins already
Arnold beat Franco who had 1 win already in 76 and a Mr Olympia under 200 pounds title from 75.
8 titles

Haney beat Sergio who had 3 wins already and Bannout 1 win
4 titles

Who did Yates beat that had already won the Mr Olympia?

Who did Coleman beat who had already won Mr Olympia?

Zane beat Franco
1 title

Dickerson beat Zane and Franco
4 wins

A case could be made that Cutler has the record by beating Coleman with 8 wins and Ninja turtle with 1
9 wins

Phil Heath beat Ninja Turtle and Cutler
5 wins

So Cutler technically has the record but Arnold has the highest number of competitors showing the strength and diversity he competed against.

Arnold wins again!  8)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 09:29:02 PM »
Take away Olympia wins by competitors after.
Arnold beat Sergio who had 3 wins already
Arnold beat Zane who had 3 wins already
Arnold beat Franco who had 1 win already in 76 and a Mr Olympia under 200 pounds title from 75.
8 titles

Haney beat Sergio who had 3 wins already and Bannout 1 win
4 titles

Who did Yates beat that had already won the Mr Olympia?

He did beat Bannout in '92 and '94.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 07:33:48 PM »
He did beat Bannout in '92 and '94.

Good Point.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 07:55:14 PM »
The only thing that really matters is this:

Who would you rather look like at their peak?

Haney?  Nope.

Yates?  No.

Coleman?  Hell no.

Arnold?  But of course.

The Austrian Oak is the best that's ever been, bar none. 

Want more?  Ok.  Whose bank account is the best?  Whose life has been the best?  Who made a life (not just a pathetic "living") from being not just a bodybuilder, not just a Mr. Olympia but the bodybuilder, the Mr. Olympia?

The one and only, the greatest...Arnold Schwarzenegger. 

Case closed.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 08:03:55 PM »
The only thing that really matters is this:

Who would you rather look like at their peak?

Haney?  Nope.

Yates?  No.

Coleman?  Hell no.

Arnold?  But of course.

The Austrian Oak is the best that's ever been, bar none.  

Want more?  Ok.  Whose bank account is the best?  Whose life has been the best?  Who made a life (not just a pathetic "living") from being not just a bodybuilder, not just a Mr. Olympia but the bodybuilder, the Mr. Olympia?

The one and only, the greatest...Arnold Schwarzenegger.  

Case closed.

Define "peak". To me, Ronnie's peak was 2001 ASC. Outside of that, I really liked his physique in 1994 and 1995, with honorable mention to 1996 when he really swole up.

As for whose life is the best, Haney's still happily married with his family intact. Arnold got caught creeping with the maid, is divorced, and has Maria bilking him for much loot (so that "bank account" thing might not as high).

Haney runs a ranch, helping underprivileged children and a health-and-fitness show that runs locally in Atlanta ("TotaLEE Fit with Lee Haney"). He's also a minister and runs a small supplement company. I'd say his life, overall, is the best. Haney had no aspirations to be an actor or superstar outside of bodybuilding.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 10:34:09 PM »
Bothe Haney and Yates has deep fields. Arnold would win in any era... he was just that much better.

Alucard

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 03:45:06 AM »
I prefer to look at the quality of physiques instead of number and importance of titles... I consider the early 90s the greatest era, with the most amazing athletes ever, so Yates had the harder competition... Second place probably Arnold... Both Haney and Coleman had flawed fields most of the time, in my opinion... Coleman started winning when 90s pros were washed up and almost retired, and he ushered in the bloated "generation nothingness"... Haney most of the time was the only mass monster against light/middleweights, no contest... Having said this, Arnold, Haney, Yates and Coleman, all of them at their respective best were as good as the others...

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 05:00:05 AM »
Different times, different rules. Arnold faced legends (and I still think Arnold was way overrated if the Weider's favorite butt-boy/charisma thing isn't taken into account). But at the time the judging was pretty different from what happened from the 80s on. Haney faced a lot of competitors who had great physiques but who had glaring weaknesses from a pure muscular point: Paris, Gaspari, DeMey, Strydom, Christian, etc.....Labrada was the best but he was too short. Otherwise, he would have taken 1989 and probably 1990.
Yates had the fiercest competition of them all. Most of his runner-ups had this quality physiques with a shitload of mass (even Ray would look like a monster if he had been competing in the 70s). Coleman' Os had the shittiest field of them all. A half-Levrone coming in 2nd twice, c'mon. Gustavo, Dennis James, Gunter, etc.......