Author Topic: What is happening on this board?  (Read 15254 times)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
What is happening on this board?
« on: March 29, 2014, 05:41:58 PM »
 ;D

Every thread is bizarre right now LOL.

ismoseppo

Re: What is happening on this board?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 05:46:58 PM »
;D

maybe we all need god

oh right---theres no such thing

oh brother isnt a big arc with animals cruising around  ::)

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 05:47:46 PM »
;D

Haha you know you love it ;D

Plenty of normal bodybuilding boards out there, only one getbig though

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 06:56:01 PM »
;D

Take a deep breath everyone ;)

:

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 07:50:16 PM »
Things change.

A lot of people right now are in a funk. We need to stay positive...

and yes, shit on me, laugh at me and call me a fool, but we do need God.

It's too bad that so many people have so much hatred in their hearts and souls right now and trust me when I say: "This does NOT come from God"

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 07:52:08 PM »
Things change.

It's too bad that so many people have so much hatred in their hearts and souls right now and trust me when I say: "This does NOT come from God"

Good post brotha

ismoseppo

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 07:53:40 PM »
Things change.

not shitting on you--just simply dont believe in such a thing--the beauty of opinions i guess

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 08:01:18 PM »

Following up on a conversation about Oxford’s controversial word of the year from a couple of months ago, your favorite reclusive former internet humorist Jay Pinkerton sent me an unusually verbose one-line missive this morning asking, “Sick of selfie yet? I can ask again in six months.” Gradually becoming increasingly aware that he’d tricked me into essentially writing a blog post, I responded as follows:
I don’t really have a problem with “selfie.” I don’t personally hear it overused, and it’s at least useful in its descriptiveness of a common occurrence. We’d still have selfies if we didn’t have the word, though I’m open to the argument that having a word for it means more of it. Anyway, what I’m really trying to say here is that I don’t want to get rid of the word “selfie.” I just want to get rid of the narcissistic millennials who take them.

That just reminded me that I haven’t checked out Lake Superior State University Banned Words List for this year yet. Since we’re there, let’s briefly look at the rest of the list:

Twerk: I have to say that this one set some kind of land speed record for going from obscurity to ubiquity in mainstream circles. A year ago, I didn’t know it. Nine months ago, I was ashamed to say that I did, or to have anyone look at my YouTube history for the previous three months. Six months ago I was explaining it to my wife, and three months ago I was explaining it to my mother-in-law. One question, though: Didn’t this just to be called booty-shaking? Another question: What was wrong with just calling it booty-shaking?
Hashtag: Ugh. Yes. There’s no reason to ever say this out loud. The hashtag key used to be known as the pound key, and that’s what I want to do to people who say the word out loud: pound them mercilessly. Remember how lame Joe Biden sounded in the 2010 debates saying “That’s a hashtag fail” in a misguided attempt to sound hip and with it? Now I see old people doing the same thing in commercials. Saying “hashtag” aloud is the rapping granny of 2014.

Twittersphere: The layer of hot air immediately above the troposphere. Zing. I’m not totally annoyed, but isn’t “in the Twittersphere” longer than “on Twitter”? I don’t see the usefulness. However, the suffix may be more useful for describing certain parts of Twitter. Maple Leafs Twitter, for example, is the Barilkosphere, and Edmonton Oilers Twitter is the Oilogosphere. That may be useful shorthand in a 140-character world.

Mister Mom: People are saying this? People are really, as LSSU’s writeup implies, celebrating the 30th anniversary of a Michael Keaton movie that isn’t Batman? I don’t believe this at all. I wonder what Michael Keaton would be saying about this if he were alive today.
T-bone: People are suddenly annoyed at this particular metaphor for a particular type of automobile collision? 2013 was the year it broke out of casual conversations and onto the airwaves to be intoned solemnly by news broadcasters. Truly the age of gravitas is over, if so. We’ve officially reached the point of the Banned Words list where the cranks are allowed to vent. Fine, Kyle from White Lake, Michigan, you hate “T-bone.” What do you suggest we replace it with? Just paint your suggestion up there on your posterboard sign and take it to the street corner where you rant about Obama being a Jew alien every day.

___ on steroids: Okay, I’m with them here. Not that this is suddenly ubiquitous, but this is hacky material and overdue for retirement. It’s just a shade less cringeworthy than ending a sentence with “… not!” like you’re Mike Myers from 1992 or your mom from 2013. “___ on steroids” is of course a relative of “___ on crack,” which suddenly makes it seem a little relevant to 2013 after all. This was of course, the year Rob Ford responded to his crack scandal by vowing to lose weight and sought the aid of a personal trainer who had been convicted for trafficking in banned substances. “Rob Ford is a mayor on crack, on steroids” was a very possible headline this year.
-ageddon. -pocalypse: Mostly weather-related, mostly annoying. I do look forward to the media unironically reporting on a municipal administration’s unpreparedness to deal with a particularly heavy snowfall in a controversy dubbed Snowmageddongate.

Intellectually/morally bankrupt: These are overused for a good reason. I’ll give them up when politicians achieve intellectual/moral solvency.

Obamacare: Yes, it’s actually called the Affordable Care Act. And Reaganomics was, in large part, the Tax Reform Act. I can’t see how Obamacare is more laudatory or derisive than Reaganomics. Each encapsulates each man’s signature policy in a memorable way that ties it to the chief executive responsible for it. Let each of them wear it, for good or for ill. And one thing’s for sure: I’ll take each of these over Orwellian bullshit nomenclature designed to stifle reasonable dissent like the PATRIOT Act, which surely only treasonous America-haters could oppose.

Adversity: “Heard often in the world of football.” So what? It’s a tough sport. You try playing a gladiatorial sport on frozen turf in a snowstorm. You know when you really hear the word “adversity” a lot though? After a football player’s career flames out after three years and he’s struggling to provide for his family because he has no skills and never learned to save, or when he’s struggling to remember his children’s names because of chronic traumatic encephalopathy from years of concussive punishment. Don’t try to take away one of the only four-syllable words a football player ever learns.

Fan base: What’s wrong with just using the word “fans” and why do we need to inflate one word into two? Well, I might argue that “fan base” has a different shade of meaning from “the fans” in that it refers specifically to all of a sport team’s (or entertainer’s or whatever) fandom in a particularly single, monolithic way. It’s like distinguishing your readers from your readership, or your Twitter followers from your Twitter follower count. There’s a useful distinction when talking about increasing your fan base, from a corporate/marketing/bean counting standpoint.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 08:07:43 PM »
not shitting on you--just simply dont believe in such a thing--the beauty of opinions i guess

I understand.

So many Christians take someone else's belief (or lack thereof) personally.

Your choice in your spirituality has nothing to do with me, nor is it in my control.

We are all humans and we all have the ability to choose.

I would not treat you any different than anyone else. My son in law is an Atheist. Am I happy about it? No. Do I try to change him? No.

It is not my job or my place to judge.

We all have questions. There is so much that we just don't know. Can I prove that I am right in my beliefs? No.

All we can do is hope and try to be cool to one another. It's actually easier to be nice. It's less stressful. But what do we usually choose to do? We hate. We judge. We talk shit. I guess it's part of being a human in a fallen world that is full of evil and full of hatred.

I don't know. I don't have the answers.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 08:20:03 PM »
Things change.

No, we do not need God. People do good things all the time without God in their  lives.

And people who believe in God do bad things (priests molesting children).

Stop deluding yourself into believing that we need God to do good.
X

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 08:22:21 PM »
Now?  This board hasn't been the same in years.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 08:28:03 PM »
Following up on a conversation about Oxford’s controversial word of the year from a couple of months ago, your favorite reclusive former internet humorist Jay Pinkerton sent me an unusually verbose one-line missive this morning asking, “Sick of selfie yet? I can ask again in six months.” Gradually becoming increasingly aware that he’d tricked me into essentially writing a blog post, I responded as follows:
I don’t really have a problem with “selfie.” I don’t personally hear it overused, and it’s at least useful in its descriptiveness of a common occurrence. We’d still have selfies if we didn’t have the word, though I’m open to the argument that having a word for it means more of it. Anyway, what I’m really trying to say here is that I don’t want to get rid of the word “selfie.” I just want to get rid of the narcissistic millennials who take them.

That just reminded me that I haven’t checked out Lake Superior State University Banned Words List for this year yet. Since we’re there, let’s briefly look at the rest of the list:

Twerk: I have to say that this one set some kind of land speed record for going from obscurity to ubiquity in mainstream circles. A year ago, I didn’t know it. Nine months ago, I was ashamed to say that I did, or to have anyone look at my YouTube history for the previous three months. Six months ago I was explaining it to my wife, and three months ago I was explaining it to my mother-in-law. One question, though: Didn’t this just to be called booty-shaking? Another question: What was wrong with just calling it booty-shaking?
Hashtag: Ugh. Yes. There’s no reason to ever say this out loud. The hashtag key used to be known as the pound key, and that’s what I want to do to people who say the word out loud: pound them mercilessly. Remember how lame Joe Biden sounded in the 2010 debates saying “That’s a hashtag fail” in a misguided attempt to sound hip and with it? Now I see old people doing the same thing in commercials. Saying “hashtag” aloud is the rapping granny of 2014.

Twittersphere: The layer of hot air immediately above the troposphere. Zing. I’m not totally annoyed, but isn’t “in the Twittersphere” longer than “on Twitter”? I don’t see the usefulness. However, the suffix may be more useful for describing certain parts of Twitter. Maple Leafs Twitter, for example, is the Barilkosphere, and Edmonton Oilers Twitter is the Oilogosphere. That may be useful shorthand in a 140-character world.

Mister Mom: People are saying this? People are really, as LSSU’s writeup implies, celebrating the 30th anniversary of a Michael Keaton movie that isn’t Batman? I don’t believe this at all. I wonder what Michael Keaton would be saying about this if he were alive today.
T-bone: People are suddenly annoyed at this particular metaphor for a particular type of automobile collision? 2013 was the year it broke out of casual conversations and onto the airwaves to be intoned solemnly by news broadcasters. Truly the age of gravitas is over, if so. We’ve officially reached the point of the Banned Words list where the cranks are allowed to vent. Fine, Kyle from White Lake, Michigan, you hate “T-bone.” What do you suggest we replace it with? Just paint your suggestion up there on your posterboard sign and take it to the street corner where you rant about Obama being a Jew alien every day.

___ on steroids: Okay, I’m with them here. Not that this is suddenly ubiquitous, but this is hacky material and overdue for retirement. It’s just a shade less cringeworthy than ending a sentence with “… not!” like you’re Mike Myers from 1992 or your mom from 2013. “___ on steroids” is of course a relative of “___ on crack,” which suddenly makes it seem a little relevant to 2013 after all. This was of course, the year Rob Ford responded to his crack scandal by vowing to lose weight and sought the aid of a personal trainer who had been convicted for trafficking in banned substances. “Rob Ford is a mayor on crack, on steroids” was a very possible headline this year.
-ageddon. -pocalypse: Mostly weather-related, mostly annoying. I do look forward to the media unironically reporting on a municipal administration’s unpreparedness to deal with a particularly heavy snowfall in a controversy dubbed Snowmageddongate.

Intellectually/morally bankrupt: These are overused for a good reason. I’ll give them up when politicians achieve intellectual/moral solvency.

Obamacare: Yes, it’s actually called the Affordable Care Act. And Reaganomics was, in large part, the Tax Reform Act. I can’t see how Obamacare is more laudatory or derisive than Reaganomics. Each encapsulates each man’s signature policy in a memorable way that ties it to the chief executive responsible for it. Let each of them wear it, for good or for ill. And one thing’s for sure: I’ll take each of these over Orwellian bullshit nomenclature designed to stifle reasonable dissent like the PATRIOT Act, which surely only treasonous America-haters could oppose.

Adversity: “Heard often in the world of football.” So what? It’s a tough sport. You try playing a gladiatorial sport on frozen turf in a snowstorm. You know when you really hear the word “adversity” a lot though? After a football player’s career flames out after three years and he’s struggling to provide for his family because he has no skills and never learned to save, or when he’s struggling to remember his children’s names because of chronic traumatic encephalopathy from years of concussive punishment. Don’t try to take away one of the only four-syllable words a football player ever learns.

Fan base: What’s wrong with just using the word “fans” and why do we need to inflate one word into two? Well, I might argue that “fan base” has a different shade of meaning from “the fans” in that it refers specifically to all of a sport team’s (or entertainer’s or whatever) fandom in a particularly single, monolithic way. It’s like distinguishing your readers from your readership, or your Twitter followers from your Twitter follower count. There’s a useful distinction when talking about increasing your fan base, from a corporate/marketing/bean counting standpoint.
new marketing word will be used in the future.
The "yummie", which stand for "young urban male", just like "yuppie" meant "young urban professional".
Yummies have a lot of disposal income, so marketing depts are focusing on this group.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 08:34:22 PM »
Now?  This board hasn't been the same in years.

lol it's the first time I see a post of yours and you have +20000 posts. ???

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 08:41:54 PM »

No, we do not need God. People do good things all the time without God in their  lives.

And people who believe in God do bad things (priests molesting children).

Stop deluding yourself into believing that we need God to do good.

Me? Me?

Did I say that people who believe in God don't sin???? ME????

My opinion say's that we need God. That is my opinion. That is all it is.

Whether or not God's presence in this world is the only reason we still have goodness around us.. as in sunlight, smiles and happiness... well, that sounds logical, but I think you are misunderstanding me.

I will NOT argue and have an angry discussion to try to explain Christianity.

Here: "Wolves in Sheeps clothing"

How's that? Who better to deceive and hurt than someone you should trust?

You and I don't have to be enemies because of our differences in opinion do we? I don't want that. Do you?

I would hope that you are at peace and that you are happy with your life. I would hope that each day you feel well enough to take on the day.

I would also be the LAST person to say that "Christians" are good, perfect, whatever.

I would rather be everyone's friend on this board than to be their enemy. All differences aside and accepted.

Us humans regardless of race or religion are capable of some highly unspeakable things. This is fact.

Be cool man. Not looking for an enemy over voicing my opinion. I don't really know why religion brings out the worst in us at times. Really, I don't.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 08:44:46 PM »
Me? Me?

Did I say that people who believe in God don't sin???? ME????

My opinion say's that we need God. That is my opinion. That is all it is.

Whether or not God's presence in this world is the only reason we still have goodness around us.. as in sunlight, smiles and happiness... well, that sounds logical, but I think you are misunderstanding me.

I will NOT argue and have an angry discussion to try to explain Christianity.

Here: "Wolves in Sheeps clothing"

How's that? Who better to deceive and hurt than someone you should trust?

You and I don't have to be enemies because of our differences in opinion do we? I don't want that. Do you?

I would hope that you are at peace and that you are happy with your life. I would hope that each day you feel well enough to take on the day.

I would also be the LAST person to say that "Christians" are good, perfect, whatever.

I would rather be everyone's friend on this board than to be their enemy. All differences aside and accepted.

Us humans regardless of race or religion are capable of some highly unspeakable things. This is fact.

Be cool man. Not looking for an enemy over voicing my opinion. I don't really know why religion brings out the worst in us at times. Really, I don't.

The question is: Why do we need God?

And who said I wanted to be your enemy? I just made a statement.
X

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 09:02:51 PM »

I guess it's just something as simple as a word "deluded" ~ I took offense to it like you were saying I was ignorant.

See what I mean?

I'm not blaming you I'm kind of speaking generally.

This is what we do so well.

No, you did not say you wanted to be my enemy.

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 09:28:44 PM »
new marketing word will be used in the future.
The "yummie", which stand for "young urban male", just like "yuppie" meant "young urban professional".
Yummies have a lot of disposal income, so marketing depts are focusing on this group.

Does "yuppie" have a negative connotation? It's always seemed to have one for me. Why is that? Is there something wrong with being young, urban, and a professional? Or are the people who use that term envious of the yuppies "yuppie" status?

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 09:32:11 PM »
Does "yuppie" have a negative connotation? It's always seemed to have one for me. Why is that? Is there something wrong with being young, urban, and a professional? Or are the people who use that term envious of the yuppies "yuppie" status?

I never understand why people choose to look down on young professionals, or wealthy successful people in general...

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 09:33:41 PM »

I always associate "yuppies" with Starbucks. Man, talk about stereo-typing people.

And I've been on this board longer tonight than I have in... forever.

Sup with that?

Oh yeah, I also think of Tom Platz when I see Starbucks wondering if he hates seeing them... wondering... what "could have" been?

Man, to be a founder of that place would have set him for life....of course, if the story is true ~

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 09:35:20 PM »
I never understand why people choose to look down on young professionals, or wealthy successful people in general...

I think it's only when they wear glasses and look like they couldn't whoop someone's ass... or fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

Or, maybe it's just me...

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 09:40:15 PM »
I think it's only when they wear glasses and look like they couldn't whoop someone's ass... or fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

Or, maybe it's just me...

I get that too.

But we are in 2014 and a civilized society. This isnt Sparta, I have worked for very powerful people that can literally ruin your career, life, reputation and demoralize you with a phonecall or thirty second speech, and I would be able to physically destroy them. Its a different ball game now.

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 09:41:04 PM »

Looking down on young professionals is probably due to many young professionals being cocky ?? Maybe?

And wealthy successful people, well ...because they seem to be living the life. People see the glamour and ignore the sacrifice and hard work, so they hate.

I'd like to hold it down in all areas of my life, so that bitches be like OMG I HAAATE HER.  ;D

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 12:55:07 AM »

Its not so much that we need God its that what really should be called God, the fathomless eternal ground of being, cannot be avoided as it is what we are and where we all come from. If you delve in to the science of meditation wholeheartedly you will come to realize this.

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 01:26:48 AM »
Severe lack of men in thong pics as of late  :(

No homo

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2014, 01:31:29 AM »